Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Farts Domino posted:

were you at Maison de la Musique? I saw that too.

I don't really listen to much post-rock anymore, but Language of Cities was one of my favorite albums before inventions came out. Didn't they have a line-up change at some point? Either way, they stood out to me because they weren't about the build-up-and-crash-down thing that a lot of bands had, and Keep it Gold was more aggressive than any of the other post-rock I'd heard at the time (later bands like Russian Circles would catch on).

Somebody who hadn't heard of them at the show the other night asked what they were and they said "I don't know, 70's psychedelic progressive rock?", some guy responded "some might say post-rock" and Maserati-guy was clearly avoiding the term. Aside from it being a weird word in general, I think it's kind of true: I'd much sooner align them with kraut-rock and Can etc. than Godspeed.

Yep, I was there :)

And I hadn't thought about comparing them like that that. To me, though, they're more like a cross between math-rock and post-rock/post-metal. They definitely don't sound like Godspeed, but there are many different sounds in the (sub?)genre. For instance, Sigur Ros and Russian Circles don't sound too similar a lot of times, and yet both are usually considered prime examples when anyone has conversation about post-rock.

On the topic of Maserati, I haven't heard any pre-Inventions material. I love Inventions, and I'm definitely digging the new album Passages, and you all are making their earlier stuff sound interesting, so I'm thinking I need to check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
The new Up-C Down-C etc album 'Firewolf' is out.

Silent Ballet doesnt like it too much, but I have found that their reviews have seriously missed the mark a few times lately, so that doesnt bother me too much. They have some audio up on their myspaz and webpage.

It is a departure, no two ways about it. But i am digging the sound so far.

(also, I read today that Blueneck have a new album out early next year. If you havent listened to Scars of the Midwest.... you should)

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 25, 2009

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl

joelcamefalling posted:

Silent Ballet doesnt like it too much, but I have found that their reviews have seriously missed the mark a few times lately...
Yeah, I've been really disappointed in them lately. They've made some extremely poor decisions and gave people the impression that song releases people thought were amazing a really low score (I think they did that to Yndi Halda).

CzarDestructo
Aug 25, 2006

chairdoctor posted:

My only complaint is that they don't play any of their pre-Inventions material anymore which was absolutely gorgeous live. I asked Coley about it after one show and he basically said they didn't feel that it represents who they are anymore blah blah blah. I totally get that (plus there have been a few lineup changes) but that fist time I saw them at the Spanish Moon back in 02 that poo poo blew my mind. Hopefully they've got some more new material on the way.

That sucks, I still have yet to see them live and I don't dig their new stuff nearly as much as their old stuff.

chairdoctor
May 31, 2001

The doctor is in.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

On the topic of Maserati, I haven't heard any pre-Inventions material. I love Inventions, and I'm definitely digging the new album Passages, and you all are making their earlier stuff sound interesting, so I'm thinking I need to check it out.

The earlier stuff is more in the vein of typical post-rock with less of the psych influence that there current stuff has. It's still good though, especially Language of Cities. Their first album, 37:29:24, is pretty good but the guys seem to think it's pretty poor and don't want to rerelease it. Also check out the split they did with the Mercury Program called "The Confines of Heat." Great stuff there, especially the Mercury Program tracks.

Speaking of the Mercury Program, the pre-order for Chez Viking just went up on their website: http://www.mercuryprogram.com/ It's been 7 years since A Data Learn the Language and I'm really eager to hear what they've come up with.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
Mono is playing Sydney on the 5th of December.

I am going to see Mono on the 5th of December.

MONO.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Is there a Mono album that I should start with that's head and shoulders above the rest, or should I just roll the dice? Is there a significant difference in their sound from one album to the next?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Hymn to the Immortal Wind is the most diverse, You Are There and Walking Cloud (etc.) are the usual favourites. Their earlier albums are a bit more heavy than melodic.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Iraff posted:

Is there a Mono album that I should start with that's head and shoulders above the rest, or should I just roll the dice? Is there a significant difference in their sound from one album to the next?

There isn't even a significant difference in their sound from from one song to the next.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

slowdave posted:

There isn't even a significant difference in their sound from from one song to the next.

Eh, more or less. But the formula they've got going works, and works really loving well.

Iraff, I'd say start with "You Are There" or "One Step More And You Die", but really you can get any one of their albums and have that be your starting place.

to remote places
Mar 5, 2009
What's the narrator saying in Russian Circles' "When the Mountain Comes to Muhammad"?

I can only make out half the words. It sounds like an unusually poetic mid-century radio broadcast describing an atomic test. Really wish I had a transcription.

Souldark
Oct 14, 2003

The music of this handsome warrior once brought one hundred maidens to tears.
Yucca Flats, 22nd nuclear test - that's about all I can ever make out. I scanned google and wikipedia for a bit to pin down which tests (and perhaps the video), but nothing so far. I'm surprised by this, given how hyperbolic his monologue is ("Today before first light, when the m-- life of man is supposed traditionally to ebb lowest...").

"And here comes the soundwave!" is an awesome sample lead-in.

EDIT my theory is that it's Walter Cronkite. Can't confirm that, though.

Souldark fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 1, 2009

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Seeing Russian Circles tomorrow in Birmingham. I am excited to see how the new album sounds live.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

gently caress me, you reminded me to check the tour dates, and those sons-a-bitches were playing an hour and a half away from me like 4 days ago. :doh: I have another chance in December, thankfully. Be sure to let me know how Melee sounds live. I'll be pissed if it isn't incredible.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
If anyone is interested I've been working on a post-rockish/metal influenced song that you can check out at this thread and comment on if you'd like.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Iraff posted:

gently caress me, you reminded me to check the tour dates...
Awesome, I see they've added a bunch of dates since ~a month ago. 11/28, big orbit soundlab, can't wait.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Have to say I was a wee bit disappointed with the Russian Circles show. They stuck to a whole lot of Station (which I wasn't too keen of compared to Enter and Geneva) and played Fathom, Geneva, and Malko off the new album. The new songs were killer, but I would have loved to have heard the rest of the new album especially Melee. They played Carpe and Death Rides a Horse from Enter which was excellent. Lots of energy although the band got off every now and then. There was a fight that broke out in the middle of the show, which was super loving lame and distracted a good bit from the show.

Was great though well worth the 12 bucks.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

no Melee!? :aaaaa:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wait, have we gone this whole thread without mentioning Crippled Black Phoenix, the post-rock supergroup occasionally featuring members of Mogwai and many other bands who have released three albums this year and are, to put it incredibly mildly, one of the best loving things on this planet? Better than the new Russian Circles in my book, better than Caspian, better than Meanwhile, Back In Communist Russia.

Seriously, they are rocketing to the top of my list very quickly. Look out, Grails.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jerry Fuchs (the incredible drummer from Maserati discussed earlier in this thread and former drummer for !!!) died today at age 34 :(

He fell 5 stories down an elevator shaft. What a lovely way for such an amazing dude to go out.

LazerLemurz
Aug 11, 2009
I'm not sure whether or not this band has been mentioned, and I'm sorry in advance if it was. But I stumbled upon this band recently, the name is Talkdemonic. It's hard to put a definite label on this style of post rock, but it includes, aside from the general instruments, a fair amount of electronic based sounds (i.e. Synths, etc.).

My favorite album: Eyes At Half Mast

Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDfyhp_esKA

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

I love Te' and If That Is What Is Being... and have been listening to it for months. Do they have any more albums and where can I get them? I'm having a horrible time finding them on the internet.

siig
Apr 4, 2005

Being nice is the shit ...
drat that's really tragic about Fuchs

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

quote:

Fuchs is the second Maserati drummer to meet a tragic end. In 2005, then-drummer Mikel Gius was run down and killed as he rode his bike on a Sacramento street.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/drummer_elevator_leap_ends_in_death_ThnnTZfFHJf3IXKidpm09N

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Flying Milton posted:

I love Te' and If That Is What Is Being... and have been listening to it for months. Do they have any more albums and where can I get them? I'm having a horrible time finding them on the internet.

As far as I know that's their only album so far - it's the only one with an American release, anyhow.

Weird thing about that band, they're huge in Japan. They had a #1 hit single. An instrumental post-rock song was the #1 single in Japan.

That totally beats Cat Power having a #1 in France.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Thanks to your post, I sought out the album and it does NOT disappoint. These guys rule, thanks for mentioning them.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I'm going to one of the two special 65daysofstatic shows next week (Manchester I'm going to, and there's a London show too).

I expect it to be more of the same re the last tour, heavily stocked with previews of the new album, and some old favourites. And I can't wait. Anyone else going?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I'm going to 65daysofstatic London show. All I'm hoping for is a longer set than when I last saw them when they stopped after 50 minutes due to a power cut.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

precision posted:

As far as I know that's their only album so far - it's the only one with an American release, anyhow.

Weird thing about that band, they're huge in Japan. They had a #1 hit single. An instrumental post-rock song was the #1 single in Japan.

That totally beats Cat Power having a #1 in France.

:smith: That blows. I like post rock alot but I'm looking for heavier, louder stuff like Te' and I just don't know where to look.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.

They have 2 other albums besides that one, and 2 EPs but everything besides I think one track on those was rerecorded for the LPs that came after them, and none of those have been released outside Japan. They also have 2 DVDs (one black, one white), black being the better one just because they had more songs released when it was recorded.

The last album is my favourite of the three, but it's really expensive to import. They've also released a video for track 3.

If you like té, there's a similar band called LITE also from Tokyo, but I think they're more towards math-rock than post-rock while té are usually the other way around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM7oioKt7XE

Isus
Aug 5, 2009

Like Lord of Sword said Te' have several albums, and they are available on the US iTunes store.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Awesome. As much as I hate iTunes, I can go through it for Te'.

Lite is a bit too math-rocky for me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you like Té you may wish to check out High Dependency Unit, in terms of "heavy" post-rock.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Starsnostars posted:

I'm going to 65daysofstatic London show. All I'm hoping for is a longer set than when I last saw them when they stopped after 50 minutes due to a power cut.

The recording of that is pretty cool, when Rob just carries on drumming into the darkness. Shame you guys got shafted though.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Jerry Fuchs (the incredible drummer from Maserati discussed earlier in this thread and former drummer for !!!) died today at age 34 :(

He fell 5 stories down an elevator shaft. What a lovely way for such an amazing dude to go out.
Oh, poo poo. I hadn't paid much attention to Maserati before seeing them in Toronto with Mono last month, but that guy was unbelievably good.

Lord of Sword posted:

[Te'] have 2 other albums besides that one
thanks for the heads-up on album 3 (from last year, ha) -- I love the first two, but yeah, they aren't very well publicized here (and their english site is years out of date).

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

thehustler posted:

I'm going to one of the two special 65daysofstatic shows next week (Manchester I'm going to, and there's a London show too).

I expect it to be more of the same re the last tour, heavily stocked with previews of the new album, and some old favourites. And I can't wait. Anyone else going?

I want to go to the London one, but 2nd hand tickets are going for £150 for 2 on some sites! I love them, but not that much...

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I want to go to the London one, but 2nd hand tickets are going for £150 for 2 on some sites! I love them, but not that much...

I might have paid that much... This will be my 8th time of seeing them. Good lord.

Any good gigs up your way in the near future? I'm in Preston now so it's nicer for the train if I want to head up to Carlisle or Lancaster.

Souldark
Oct 14, 2003

The music of this handsome warrior once brought one hundred maidens to tears.
Interviews with Red Sparowes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBOLfmzQ_6Y) and Russian Circles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSHKsGzl2Ow) at F3F last week.
Some interesting topics and a few scraps of information - prospective March 2010 release for the new Sparowes album :woop:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

So, that was a brilliant gig by 65. Played the new stuff we've already heard from the last tour, and two new songs for the first time. One of which was about 8 minutes long and epic as gently caress. Hopefully there will be bootlegs!

Also the opening support act was a guy in a dinosaur outfit playing some electronic tunes. Very bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

thehustler posted:

two new songs for the first time.

Just wondering, were the new songs like their other stuff, or are they continuing in a more electronic direction like their last EP?

Also if the postman doesn't bring me my copy of the new Up-C Down-C Left-C Right-C ABC + Start album tomorrow, I will be royally pissed.