Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

You will have a hell of a good time putting the fascia on this thing. :D

The fascia 2x4s should be 90 degree to the ground, e.g. they should be nailed into the ends of the rafters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

IsaacNewton posted:

You will have a hell of a good time putting the fascia on this thing. :D

The fascia 2x4s should be 90 degree to the ground, e.g. they should be nailed into the ends of the rafters.

They are :) Directly into the rafter ends and then with some small angles evenly spaced between. The soffit took a bit of coaxing, but it does the trick
Honestly the part I'm most surprised about is that 250# of me + 40#ish of the girl can jump up and down and not come crashing down like WTC

There's been several times during the process where I'll notice something a few steps previous that I would totally do differently "next time", but am too far to tear down and rebuild. Like once the floor and the first couple wall frames were up, the way that the platform ties to the posts. Once the rafters etc were going up, noticed some oddities of the walls.

If nothing else, whenever we decide to move it'll be a chance to get it right on Mk II

Swap_File
Nov 24, 2004
WIN386.SWP
Bin construction is coming along nicely. The majority of the cement is now poured.

Now we just have to let it set up for a while, pour the center, and start assembling the rest of the kit.

It should be done in time for harvest.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

What kind of grain? Corn?

Looks like a nice foundation.

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx
About a year ago my family decided to get a 120 gallon aquarium, we didn't like any of the stands at the pet store because they were so low, so I built my own. I have no wood working experience but with some general plans from the internet and lots of planning I was able to get something I'm really happy with.

Here's the stand built with 2x4 and plywood. The doors and sides have marine grade plywood in hopes it would help prevent them from warping to exposure to moisture.

Coated in kilz primer and final coat of white paint.

Front doors hung with euro-hinges.

With the structure done, I moved on to the decorating. I wrapped reed-matting around the entire stand and attached it with wood glue. This was a horribly sticky and dirty job, but once dry it worked perfectly. I cut any excess matting off with a razor. I used pine trim on the corners and stained them cherry to match the cherry wood trim along the top and bottom. My dad researched some hawaiian patterns for me to engrave into the trim.

The front doors have some intarsia fish carvings we bought in hawaii. These are glued on top of bamboo matting that covers the doors.

And here's from about a month ago, stocked with fish and coral:

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.
That is *really* incredible work. Well done!

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
So, there's a band I love called The Phenomenauts.

They encourage their fans to dress up in outer-space outfits to go with the band's "Sci-Fi Rocket Roll" music. A few years back I made my own version of their jackets.

It just so happened that they had forgotten two of their uniforms the night before, and Commander Nova had to borrow my jacket and wear it for a few shows until they could get back to Baltimore or wherever the hell they left it. Anyways, I decided to create another uniform, but I wanted it a little more customized this time. And wouldn't you know it, I just happened to be in Marden's (an awesomely bizarre Wal-Mart meets Goodwill meets The Dollar Store in Maine) and saw this:

I knew what had to be done. My girlfriend taught me to use her sewing machine, and with her help, I created my =Cadet Jacket 2.0=

I made the long sleeves into short sleeves and made them tighter, added white piping, added white lining to the flap, and removed all but three buttons. I also added the white stripes and a patch on the sleeve with the band's logo, but these were hot-glued instead of sewn (to save time). Naturally, they began to fall off in the cramped, sweaty pit at the show. Katie made hers out of three t-shirts (2 black, 1 red) to keep her cool, and she added the zipper and stripes, plus the same P-logo on the back, full-sized.

Science & Honor!
- =Cadet Brettbot=

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Brettbot posted:

Science & Honor!
- =Cadet Brettbot=

Wow, all of them look amazing. I really, really want the first jacket despite having never heard of this band up until now. Well done!

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Wow, all of them look amazing. I really, really want the first jacket despite having never heard of this band up until now. Well done!

Thanks. :-) They actually used to sell an Officer's Jacket similar to their old uniforms, but they've done three runs of them, I think, and they keep running out and upgrading them. I guess the new ones are red on the inside.

Give the band a listen, they're pretty drat good!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
A while back I picked up a pair of old computer speakers at Goodwill for $2. I use them at work for my MP3 player. I got tired of the 90s beige look, so I got some Krylon Fusion paint and changed it:

Before

After

pack it yo
Aug 6, 2007

Dr Scoofles posted:

I'm working on my latest teddy bear project.

This is adorable! Very well done!

Friggybum
Jun 12, 2001

SO FRESH. SO KLEEN.

ludnix posted:

About a year ago my family decided to get a 120 gallon aquarium, we didn't like any of the stands at the pet store because they were so low, so I built my own.

Holy poo poo. That is loving awesome! Where do you get coral like that? Do you have to harvest it illegally? Incredible work :o

Just finished reading this whole thread and sweet christmas there's a lot of inspiration to own a house in this thread.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Friggybum posted:

Holy poo poo. That is loving awesome! Where do you get coral like that? Do you have to harvest it illegally? Incredible work :o

You buy it any aquarium store the sells salt-water aquaria.

dreg
Jun 1, 2000

Don't swear in front of your mother!
I turned an old wooden box into a hillbilly amp with a few parts I had lying around and a 7W amp kit I got at a local electronic supply shop.

Sounds good, loud, and runs off a pair of 9Vs or a wall supply.

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx

Friggybum posted:

Just finished reading this whole thread and sweet christmas there's a lot of inspiration to own a house in this thread.
Thanks!

You can get it at most saltwater aquarium pet stores. Everything in my tank is aquacultured, meaning it was grown in captivity and not taken from the wild.

Nimchook
Sep 2, 2009

Katajjaq World Champion
I reupholstered an old recliner last summer. The original fabric was pretty stained and gross, but the chair itself was remarkably comfortable. It would have been a shame to get rid of it.

Here it is before I had my way with it:

The deconstruction process was... inelegant.

Many many staples later:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nimchook posted:

I reupholstered an old recliner last summer. The original fabric was pretty stained and gross, but the chair itself was remarkably comfortable. It would have been a shame to get rid of it.

Were you trying to make it look like something from the 60's?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Nimchook posted:

I think that's really beautiful, great job.

Nimchook
Sep 2, 2009

Katajjaq World Champion

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Were you trying to make it look like something from the 60's?

That wasn't really my intent, but I can kind of see where you'd think that. I just stumbled across the fabric in the clearance bin at Joann's and thought it would be perfect for the project.

Slung Blade posted:

I think that's really beautiful, great job.

Thank you! It was my first attempt at reupholstery, so... it's extra nice to get feedback like yours!

gross
Jan 7, 2006

Well, here's your problem!
I posted my refinished bedroom somewhere in here. Here's the hallway. Once again, I wish I had a few more pictures from before I started the work, but the first one is a good example of the water damage and lovely cover-up paper I had to deal with.

Click here for the full 712x534 image.

Click here for the full 1018x646 image.

Still have to put the molding on that section.

Click here for the full 1056x712 image.

I stripped and refinished that door, which was a nightmare, but I think it turned out all right for something that's (probably) 100 years old, and had four coats of paint over the original varnish. The latch even works. I just had to open it up to add a bit of grease and straighten out something that was bent. The door on the left will have to wait until next summer.

Anyone know where I can find replacement springs for really old door latches? I'm one short since one of them was broken.

Edit: In case anyone asks - no, that ceiling is not level. It's not your imagination.

gross fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 7, 2009

Chezlin
Jun 2, 2005
Mista' Ewok.
I've recently started making books. These are two I've done within the past week.

Hand-sewn headband :D Sorry for the lovely cellphone blurriness :(

The second book was an experiment for me... I used some paper I made a few years ago, instead of bookcloth I used regular cloth and it was my first time doing coptic binding.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.
As someone who has an inexplicable fetish with journals and sketchbooks (I have probably 20 or so laying around unused simply because I like them and can't resist buying them), and who loves bookmaking (at least in concept, I think I've only ever made one book); your project makes me all kinds of happy. Great work.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

landis posted:

As someone who has an inexplicable fetish with journals and sketchbooks (I have probably 20 or so laying around unused simply because I like them and can't resist buying them), and who loves bookmaking (at least in concept, I think I've only ever made one book); your project makes me all kinds of happy. Great work.

I'm gonna agree here, amazing work.
Any chance of a tutorial or something? I'd love to try it on my own!

King no one
Aug 26, 2000
Forum Veteran

Chezlin posted:

I've recently started making books. These are two I've done within the past week.

Hey, do you happen to have a source for how you did this. Specifically the first embossed one.

King no one fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 21, 2009

Godfrey
May 29, 2004

Excellent!
I LOVE this sub forum, its about the only reason I come back to SA these days... that said I've been working a very simple structure for my tiny camp that will be attending one of Texas's regional Burns in a few weeks.

I'm currently on my Second version of the structure, the first proving to be to bulky at the frame, not as stable as I would have hoped, and a real pain in the rear end to try and set up on your own.

Version One: Missing its canvas cover

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

Its a large rectangle made out of 4x4s with some cross braces 2x4s... Very simple and my first attempt at keeping myself out of the sun at Flipside, it worked but there were some obvious problems.

Version Two: What I've done is removed all but one of the 4x4's, added a "deck spike" a brace with a spike at the end to be shoved into the ground, raised the hight by bolting on a 2x4 and have added a somewhat simple pulley system to hoist up the canvas cover.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

with Only two weeks to the next event I'm testing the new build and attempting to fix some other problems, I intend to redesign the cover to make it more like a circus tent and to extend it about 4ft all-around.

if your wondering why the canvas looks so lovely its because I can't sew for poo poo.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Godfrey posted:

I LOVE this sub forum, its about the only reason I come back to SA these days... that said I've been working a very simple structure for my tiny camp that will be attending one of Texas's regional Burns in a few weeks.

I'm currently on my Second version of the structure, the first proving to be to bulky at the frame, not as stable as I would have hoped, and a real pain in the rear end to try and set up on your own.

Version One: Missing its canvas cover

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

Its a large rectangle made out of 4x4s with some cross braces 2x4s... Very simple and my first attempt at keeping myself out of the sun at Flipside, it worked but there were some obvious problems.

Version Two: What I've done is removed all but one of the 4x4's, added a "deck spike" a brace with a spike at the end to be shoved into the ground, raised the hight by bolting on a 2x4 and have added a somewhat simple pulley system to hoist up the canvas cover.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

with Only two weeks to the next event I'm testing the new build and attempting to fix some other problems, I intend to redesign the cover to make it more like a circus tent and to extend it about 4ft all-around.

if your wondering why the canvas looks so lovely its because I can't sew for poo poo.

That's a good sunshade. Definitely beats the standard Costco Carport look by a country mile, and it'll give you good coverage.

Is it meant to go to the big burn eventually? How is it for wind stability?

Godfrey
May 29, 2004

Excellent!

fahrvergnugen posted:

That's a good sunshade. Definitely beats the standard Costco Carport look by a country mile, and it'll give you good coverage.

Is it meant to go to the big burn eventually? How is it for wind stability?

I don't know if I'll ever go to black rock all I hear about is drama bombs, but Texas has the second biggest burn after BR. Flipside is about 3000+ people and I took version one to it this year, great/ok for shade but needed better stakes and should have planed for rain a little better. The canvas cover has a huge hole in the center in part because I didn't want the thing to catch all of a passing wind then try and take off and because I wanted some light to get through, the downside to the hole is that it does let the sun in and at Flipside this is a problem because it gets rather hot and I would have to get up and move and we can't have the sun upsetting my laziness. I mentioned rain, we had a storm rush through one of the days and if I had laid down tarp under the structure before putting it up it would have worked better but at the hight of the storm I could tell it was getting a bit much so I dropped all the outer posts and wrapped the canvas around the center legs this worked rather well for keeping some of our things dry.. Wind, I think it would have done rather well but I had bought cheap plastic stakes and the earth was very hard so a few broke when I tried to get them very deep and others just snapped in half when the wind picked up.

If I get the center cover done today I will post some pictures.

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?
I may have posted this project on this forum before but I just found video of it for the first time so I wanted to share. Sorry if this is a repeat.

In the 2007/2008 school year I was finishing my engineering degree at Waterloo in Ontario. All Waterloo engineering graduates have to do a 4th year project where you propose some design and follow through with a prototype. Two classmates and I decided to throw together a player guitar we named Robot Johnson after the famous blues player, Robert Johnson. We had very tight time and monetary budgets, but I'm pretty happy with our results.

We used an array of 30 solenoids to press the strings at the frets and 6 solenoid pairs to strum. A 43rd solenoid activated a "palm muter". The solenoids are controlled by a Microchip dsPIC, model 30F4011. The dsPIC interfaced to 5 digital port expanders to handle all the IO required. A serial cable was used to interface the PIC to a laptop. We used Python to write editing software where you could program the guitar note by note. It was also able to import MIDI files.

Unfortunately the only videos I have of the project were taken when we were in the lab or the demo area. Because of this we had to keep the amp really low. The clacking of the parts is louder than the actual guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_55DVB37Gw

If we had more time we would have added cushioning around key areas to reduce the noise. We turned it on for the first time at about 10pm the night before we had to demonstrate it. Luckily it worked.

At the last minute we programmed a Guitar Hero mode where you use a Guitar Hero controller to play the guitar. We had it set up so the first three buttons were programmed to play chords and the last two buttons would cycle through scales.

Here's a video of it setup with the chords for Sweet Home Chicago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfbtHl0OkqE

I don't know where Robot Johnson is anymore. The last I heard it was sitting in the Mechatronics Lab at Waterloo but it has since disappeared. It's probably been gutted for parts by now.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I am completing the restoration of this c.1928 (pre-sound) Simplex Standard with a 30's RCA 1050 soundhead. I bought them off a mate who did 90% of the restoration including the stripping and repainting. I am working to bring it back to complete working order. This is the projector and soundhead mounted to its base with a Calders TruTrim lamphouse that has had the carbon arc gear stripped out. I will be installing a small xenon lamp or possibly a powerful incandescent lamp.

This is the threading path of the projector, notice the strangely clean interior devoid of 81 years of grease, oil and gunk!

This is the soundhead which has been stripped of its exciter lamp and photocell. The cell would have resided in place of the brown wooden block inside the sound drum. Why has the sound system been taken out? This requires a bit of explanation.

Analog soundtracks on 35mm films are a waveform representation of the actual sounds which are picked up by a light sensitive electrical component, solar cell, photocell etc and converted into electricity. Up until about 10 years ago films used to ship with a soundtrack that was made of silver dye. The process to develop the soundtrack required that the whole print was essentially developed twice, once for picture and once for the soundtrack. Some smart fellow came to the conclusion that if the soundtrack dye was changed to match a dye already in the picture, the film would only need to be developed once, and they could save mega buck$. The soundtracks changed to cyan, and as such, all film readers had to be changed to have a red light source rather than white. To the solar cell, the red light makes the cyan appear opaque!!! pretty clever huh? Here is an example of a cyan sound track

It is too hard to work on the electrical components while mounted to the base, so it has lived on this milk crate in my bedroom for quite some time

And when I get tired of working on it, I can go to work, where I get paid to use them.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Holy poo poo. That is really, really cool. I'm quite impressed.

Digital Nomad
Oct 22, 2005
"I'm a nomad too"
Where would one go about getting a projector like that normally. You say you have a friend who sold it to you, so I don't figure he's part of a larger marketplace for old projectors.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Usually there will be one insane film collector with about 20 projectors in his barn in just about every town. Other than that, my best advice would be to watch the places where 35mm prints change hands. Projectors come up quite often and are reasonably priced, provided you will drive there and dissasemble. I bought two out of the trading post for about $50. Just do not go on eBay, they are priced as antiques, not functional machines.

Edit: If anyone is actually interested in this kind of stuff, here is the older style soundtrack, I couldn't be bothered digging out last night.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 2, 2009

Che Stevini
Jun 14, 2006
One hundred thousand lemmings can't be wrong
That is a really neat projector. Good luck restoring it. What do you plan on using it for when you are finished? Home theater?

That sound head is really nifty. I work with newer projectors and the sound heads aren't nearly that interesting. It's cool to see the difference.

Out of curiosity, is the head a belt-driven, or is it filled with oil?

Aww, crap, I think I might actually like my job. I get all excited about projectors now.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Che, I am assuming you are either a projectionist or a tech so hopefully you know what the heck I am on about.

This unit sits on the back patio and I use a vinyl movie banner from work, some have white backs and make excellent cheapo screens. I will probably just use this machine for stuff I already have on 2k small spindle reels, and when I get my own place, buy a couple of Vic 8's or similar at a later stage for 6k changeover (A guy can dream). This machine will retire as a trailer/shorts unit, or possibly just display. Unfortunately, There aren't a lot of projectors newer than E7's this side of the equator that aren't still chugging along for paying audiences! However with the digital rollout gaining some ground, there may be a lot of homeless 35 setups quite shortly...

The 1050 has a gearbox encasing the two sprockets on the right with the shaft connected directly to the motor at a right angle out the front end. It is self oiling with a shallow oil bath filled via a very old fasioned oil cup at the rear. You can see some very lean engine oil has leaked out of the bottom sprocket. It looks more red there than it actually is.

At work we use Cinemeccanica Victoria 8's, the original cast base type, from near the end of the aesthetically pleasing projector era. We "demagazined" them and matched them with some Christie AW-3's. Not sure if you heard but Christie is ramping down 35mm tech production keeping parts inventory only.

My work is a triplexed art deco palace :( but the balcony remains largely untouched when the stalls were converted to a further two cinemas. Not having a lot of money to play with it's all still analog track only. SDDS is dead or dying, DTS is too expensive. I'm still quite impressed how good analog optical can sound!

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

So MY GIRLFRIEND is coming home from her trip to europe on wednesday, but that means she'll be missing her birthday for a day filled with catching planes and all the hubbub associated with it.

Because her favorite movie is Pixar's UP (and that being the movie we saw on our first date) I thought I would make her something that I know would make her smile, and give her something to help catalog all the cool stuff she did with her family in Rome, Vienna, Munich, Berlin... et cetera.

Cover:

It's hard to see because of the picture, but the oval background is white/cream mulberry paper with gold tinsel. Entire thing sealed with 3 coats of decophage (mod podge, matte finish)

First page/inside binding

Edited name out

Thoughts?

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 17, 2009

coseymo
Mar 11, 2008

Cakefool posted:

I also made another wedding present:

inspired by the awesome zombie kits in this thread, me and my friend decided to make a ZASK! (zombie apocalypse survival kit) for a mutual friend's birthday.

the hardest part was finding the right casket. we ended up getting one specially made by a family friend who's apparently pretty good with carpenting.
we wanted to fill it with more than just weapons, so we came up with the idea of a "deadly brain trap", as every zombie killer needs one! we made it out of polystyrene wrapped in brown paper, a battery, some cables and - as it was impossible to find a plastic brain three weeks before halloween in our city (d'oh!) - i molded a brain out of modelling material.

hotpad looking like a blood bottle, complete with a severed finger for added effect

cheap-rear end toy weapon with vibrating laser-function and a jägermeister-metal-bottle as molotov-cocktail. the pills are an emergency dose of "potassium cyanide" - in case you get encircled by the bastards and have no ammo left.
and of course while slaying zombies left and right you need to look cool as gently caress, so we also included sunglasses.

the finished kit with the cover

it's hard to read in the photo, in the top right we put this instruction sign which i found online (didn't quite realise how popular RL zombie squads are)

in the end i think we had more fun creating the ZASK than the recipient... :v:

ScottK
Jun 28, 2006
This used to be a screened porch, now it's a little office.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

SKeefe posted:

This used to be a screened porch, now it's a little office.

That looks great! I wonder, however, if those huge windows are going to turn that office into a sun room, such that it'll be intolerably hot during the summer. You may want blinds/curtains at some point...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
A few friends and I over the past few weeks have started trying to figure out something to do on saturday afternoons here in Chicago that keeps us active and is a lot of fun so we decided to start playing street hockey.

Its pretty fun and casual considering a few of us grew up/still play hockey and a few of the girls have never played before.

The only exception is that I have to construct some nets because the box we were using just doesnt cut it. Go figure I knew I should never have given my street hockey stuff away when I was 14.

My first though was to go for a NHL regulation 4'x6' net but then I figured storage and the fact that were not playing with a goalie makes this sort of overkill. I then decided to maybe try a scaled down version.

Im going to use 2" PVC and possibly go for a 3/4 size net but I havent really decided just yet. Something a little smaller than normal a trip to home depot should
do the trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godfrey
May 29, 2004

Excellent!
I made most of a table today. :ughh:

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

I figured this thread needed some more pictures