Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Armacham posted:

its easy, but i would reccommend that you have a friend help you. also read this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50717

Ok this is going to sound really dumb but if I buy new tires, I need to buy new tubes of matching size right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
anyone know the names of some bikes that use 30mm cv carbs? thinking some day i might try swapping out these piece of poo poo dellortos on my guzzi.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

IAMKOREA posted:

Ok this is going to sound really dumb but if I buy new tires, I need to buy new tubes of matching size right?

you can reuse innertubes, but i would rather have the piece of mind of having new ones.

If you've never changed a tire before, there's a non trivial chance of busting one of the tubes putting it back in, so its good to have extra anyway. What kind of bike, what size of tires are you changing?

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Armacham posted:

you can reuse innertubes, but i would rather have the piece of mind of having new ones.

If you've never changed a tire before, there's a non trivial chance of busting one of the tubes putting it back in, so its good to have extra anyway. What kind of bike, what size of tires are you changing?

Yamaha TW200. The reason I asked about the tubes is because the rear tire is so wide, I imagine it needs a special extra fat tube too or somethingt. I've ruined enough tubes changing bicycle tires that I will probably order extra just in case.

Bridgestone TW31 Tube Type Front Tire BW (D.O.T. Approved) 130/80-18 Yamaha TW200 (OE Repl.)

Bridgestone TW34 Tube Type Rear Tire BW (D.O.T. Approved) 180/80-14 Yamaha TW200 (OE Repl.)

Also the rear tire has been flat for the last week and it's really making me sad, so I need new tubes for sure anyway.

This tube would work for the rear right?
http://www.amazon.com/180-80-14-TR4-TUBE-BRIDGESTONE/dp/B0024XCJS2

IAMKOREA fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 11, 2009

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

IAMKOREA posted:

Yamaha TW200. The reason I asked about the tubes is because the rear tire is so wide, I imagine it needs a special extra fat tube too or something.

Bridgestone TW31 Tube Type Front Tire BW (D.O.T. Approved) 130/80-18 Yamaha TW200 (OE Repl.)

Bridgestone TW34 Tube Type Rear Tire BW (D.O.T. Approved) 180/80-14 Yamaha TW200 (OE Repl.)

Also the rear tire has been flat for the last week and it's really making me sad, so I need new tubes for sure anyway.

yeah tubes will cover a range of size, but remember to always get a smaller tube, than a larger one. For your front tire you will probably need a 120/90-18 or 4.25/ 4.50-18 in inches, and I believe the back tire will have a 180/80-14, which i dont think i've ever seen in non-metric anyway.

The important thing will be to go slow and use lots of lube

edit: yeah thats the right one. I would also get new rim strips, those are cheap insurance as well

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Having decided to keep my bike for another year I'm going to do some upgrades this winter. One of the smaller tasks is changing my pads again. They only have 8000 km or so on them, bu the wet performance is unacceptable. Am I right in assuming that sintered pads perform best in the wet, at the expense of disk wear?

Ola fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 11, 2009

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Has there been a thread/discussion on the Brammo Enertia nerd-bike that I haven't seen? I'm curious about CA's opinion.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Batteries are years from being ready for any electric bikes to even be useful or cost competitive, and there is a new one every week.

Who gives a poo poo about this PR campaign by X company about Y bike?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Dubs posted:

Batteries are years from being ready for any electric bikes to even be useful or cost competitive, and there is a new one every week.

Who gives a poo poo about this PR campaign by X company about Y bike?

Pretty much this. They're cool in very, very specialized situations, basically short races against small displacement engines where the instant on torque is an advantage, and they could theoretically be awesome short hop commuters that are charged daily, but the cost is so loving absurd that it's just not worth it.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I ask because they evidently just lowered the price by about 3 grand, and supposedly there's a tax incentive that makes it even cheaper. I'd imagine that a short commute in a city it could end up being relatively economical.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Hypnolobster posted:

I ask because they evidently just lowered the price by about 3 grand, and supposedly there's a tax incentive that makes it even cheaper. I'd imagine that a short commute in a city it could end up being relatively economical.

If you're concerned about being economical, a small displacement scooter will have a higher top speed and you'd have to spend to replace batteries long before the savings in gas mileage were made up for by the lower cost of electricity. Hell, a Ninja 250 would be a vastly superior ride.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The gas savings is decent chunk. I did some math a while ago, while in my previous job. The commute was 42 km round trip, easy enough for single charge on good batteries. Given our relatively cheap electricity and expensive gas, I'd charge the batteries over a hundred times for a single tank of gas. That tank of gas has 5 times more range, so it was 20 times cheaper.

To actually pay it off (this was the homebuilt version) would take something like 2000 trips to work, not counting any tires/chains (counted those as equal) and no battery replacement.

I quickly concluded that economy alone wasn't a good reason to go electric, the coolness factor and eco girl sex had to count for something too.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Ola posted:

Am I right in assuming that sintered pads perform best in the wet, at the expense of disk wear?

It will wear the rotor more than an organic pad would, but shouldn't be so bad that the rotor is ground to dust as you watch. A lot of new bikes are coming with metallic or sintered pads anyway. I personally don't care if the rotors wear down a little faster on my bike, when I come around a corner loaded two up with my wife on the back and there's a deer in my lane, I want the bike to loose speed as quickly and as safely as possible.

http://www.sportbikesolutions.com/sintered_vs_organic.htm

For what it's worth, I swapped from OEM Honda pads to EBC Double-H sintered on my ST1300, and the braking performance is much better (it hasn't rained yet, so no personal wet stopping to report on).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Good article, thanks. I think I'll hunt down some sintereds so I can A/B it. Also getting steel braided hoses this winter.

My disks have quite a bit of rotational wise grooving, could that mae wet braking worse? It really is pretty harrowing when it's raining good, I have to ride the brakes once every minute or more to have full braking power available. Otherwise there's like two seconds of "oh gently caress nothing's happening!" before the water is rubbed off and it starts braking.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
How bad is quite a bit? ;) If pads ever went metal on metal and chewed the rotor up I'd be concerned. Since drying them out (applying the brakes for a bit every few minutes) restores the ability to stop I'd wager it's being caused more by the pads themselves being wet.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I suppose there has been metal to metal at some point. They are at the thin end of the width limit and you feel blunt grooves if you run your finger over them. I suppose I should swap them but they cost so drat much. :( Perhaps something will show up on ebay.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

I suppose there has been metal to metal at some point. They are at the thin end of the width limit and you feel blunt grooves if you run your finger over them. I suppose I should swap them but they cost so drat much. :( Perhaps something will show up on ebay.

I ran with heavily grooved rotors for a long time. I wouldn't recommend it, per se, but I never had any problems. It would take a little while for the brake pad to conform to the rotor itself, but once it did braking power was fine. I even did trackdays on rotors like that.

I'd hunt ebay. If availability is better in the US and you need someone to reship something from here, I'm happy to help you out.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

I'd hunt ebay. If availability is better in the US and you need someone to reship something from here, I'm happy to help you out.

Thanks man! For now I think I'll just get some sintered pads to see if it helps in the rain, and otherwise not worry too much. There's quite a few used rotors on ebay for $50 to $100 a pair, which is excellent. But in the pics they all look very similar to mine so I guess they aren't too bad.

My bike budget this winter is on steel braided hoses, rear shock and race tech emulators in the front. Should be a good upgrade. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Thanks man! For now I think I'll just get some sintered pads to see if it helps in the rain, and otherwise not worry too much. There's quite a few used rotors on ebay for $50 to $100 a pair, which is excellent. But in the pics they all look very similar to mine so I guess they aren't too bad.

My bike budget this winter is on steel braided hoses, rear shock and race tech emulators in the front. Should be a good upgrade. :)

There's nothing quite like suspension upgrades to make an old bike feel like new. Suspension upgrades, replacing/lubing/adjusting cables and flushing brake fluid.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I might get some brake bleeding gear too. All I have not is a tube with a check valve at the end so the fluid can only flow one way. Or at least that's how it's supposed to behave. Are cans with a hand pump any good? I'd rather keep it cheap and non-electric since it's a once a year job, but I do have access to a compressor.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ola posted:

I might get some brake bleeding gear too. All I have not is a tube with a check valve at the end so the fluid can only flow one way. Or at least that's how it's supposed to behave. Are cans with a hand pump any good? I'd rather keep it cheap and non-electric since it's a once a year job, but I do have access to a compressor.
When we did it at a maintenance day, the best setup was literally a plastic hose and a little bucket for the fluid to run into.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

I use what amounts to that setup. Secure it over the bleeder, squeeze the lever with the bleeder open, close bleeder, release lever, repeat until it's running clear with fresh fluid. It's cheap and easy.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

But what about when you're replacing the hoses? Isn't it best to fill from below?

(it sure is Ola's question time today!)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

But what about when you're replacing the hoses? Isn't it best to fill from below?

(it sure is Ola's question time today!)

It's a little time consuming to get all the bubbles out, but there's nothing wrong with filling them from the reservoir.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Allrighty, I'll save my hard earned for tangible, useful things like alcohol and cigarettes. Thanks!

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
And titanium wind screen fasteners. You can literally shave entire GRAMS of weight from your bike for only 40 euros.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Right now I'm more concerned with my browser's search history having 13" rear shock in it.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Anyone know the flare width of a DID X-ring chain master rivet link?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

Anyone know the flare width of a DID X-ring chain master rivet link?

I don't know it specifically, but I just flared it to the width of the other side of the pin. It's fairly soft metal so you need to overdo it a lot before it cracks.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002

Ola posted:

Right now I'm more concerned with my browser's search history having 13" rear shock in it.

Nice... hahahahha

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

So, are there any downsides to sticking some Sta-Bil in the tank if I'm still going to be riding it off and on during the winter? Should I bother? Depending on the weather the gas may be in the tank anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

So, are there any downsides to sticking some Sta-Bil in the tank if I'm still going to be riding it off and on during the winter? Should I bother? Depending on the weather the gas may be in the tank anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks.

Unless US gas has the shelf life of eggs, I wouldn't worry about 2-6 weeks. I don't think Sta-Bil affects performance in a noticable way, so if it's no bother you can always put some in.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Ola posted:

Unless US gas has the shelf life of eggs, I wouldn't worry about 2-6 weeks. I don't think Sta-Bil affects performance in a noticable way, so if it's no bother you can always put some in.

That's what I thought, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hypnolobster posted:

Has there been a thread/discussion on the Brammo Enertia nerd-bike that I haven't seen? I'm curious about CA's opinion.

I never understood electric bikes from the standpoint of recharging. On a normal bike, when the tank is empty, I spend 3 minutes at the pump, and I'm ready to go for hours.

On an electric bike, I have to wait 8 hours to charge it, and i'm ready to go for a couple more hours. Unless you're riding it to work, charging it while you're there and riding home, its pointless.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

From a global (at least western) point of view, the commute and the shopping takes a huge portion of the transportation energy cake. If your total commute is less than, say, 100 miles round trip, an electric car would work just fine. Given that scenario range is not an issue. However, battery replacement is an issue and purchase cost is a huge issue since it would likely be a second vehicle. Enviroment, economy or whatever, not many people want to be seen in this:

An electric bike for weekend canyon carving or long range touring would be completely useless. A commuto-matic would be fine, an electric motocross bike stationed and chargeable in the offroad area you rode it would be awesome.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Phat_Albert posted:

I never understood electric bikes from the standpoint of recharging. On a normal bike, when the tank is empty, I spend 3 minutes at the pump, and I'm ready to go for hours.

On an electric bike, I have to wait 8 hours to charge it, and i'm ready to go for a couple more hours. Unless you're riding it to work, charging it while you're there and riding home, its pointless.

If they treated the batteries like propane tanks for gas grills it might work - you pull out your battery, and hand it in and you get a charged one in exchange.

But of course would require a critical mass of vehicles to make it economically feasible, but it won't get there unless you have an easy way to charge the vehicles and round and round and round.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

To me it seems like chasing electric vehicles is a dead-end. We should be chasing hydrogen fuel cells or CNG or propane. All of which can be retrofitted on to existing internal combustion motors. The userbase is right here and has been since the early 1900's.

Completely switching directions and going electric is hard enough, then we have to worry about the infrastructure and all that. It just seems like the path of by far the most resistance.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

It just seems like the path of by far the most resistance.

Ohm my. :rimshot:

The infrastructure for electrics is already there, although I've heard many people express doubts about the US power grid, particularly in CA. The motors are there and have been for years. The only issue is range, versatility, cost and in the end market demand. Fix the first three and the fourth will come around.

Electric motors have so many advantages in simplicity and usability, it would be a shame not to give it a proper chance.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Doctor Zero posted:

If they treated the batteries like propane tanks for gas grills it might work - you pull out your battery, and hand it in and you get a charged one in exchange.

But of course would require a critical mass of vehicles to make it economically feasible, but it won't get there unless you have an easy way to charge the vehicles and round and round and round.

This guy has a good presentation about just that:
http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/shai_agassi_on_electric_cars.html

Pretty much you drive up to a station, a robot reaches up and replaces your battery, and you drive away. The battery gets charged in the station and goes into the next car.

I think they're planning on rolling this out in Israel (I could be wrong) in a year or two and in Hawaii a little bit after that. Small countries/states where you aren't really going to go for long trips.

Oh, a Wikipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Mildly retarded question: If you hit one of the reflectors on the road (like they have on the DY) while you're at a high lean angle, is there a large chance of the bike losing traction? Logic tells me "yes", but I'm not sure if it's one of those crazy things the bike can handle or not.

I'm having problems with my lines for some reason. I think my brain is afraid of taking turns too tight because it feels like I'm going to run off the road. I'm looking all the way through turns too, shrug. Anyway I don't particularly want to run wide into a reflector and lowside into oncoming traffic, doesn't sound like my idea of a good time.