Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY MAN TV ON PC
Jul 14, 2009
Recently I've gotten interested in hearing more post-rock after a friend introduced me to Paatos. Any beginner recommendations? I've heard of Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, and Sigur Rós... and I've browsed around the last.fm "post-rock" tag page.
I was also wondering if Working for a Nuclear Free City or modwheelmood would be considered post-rock or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

HEY MAN TV ON PC posted:

Recently I've gotten interested in hearing more post-rock after a friend introduced me to Paatos. Any beginner recommendations?

I always take these questions as an opportunity to push Yndi Halda, Mono,Johnnytwentythree and Angel Eyes

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Rhg0061r posted:

Just wondering, were the new songs like their other stuff, or are they continuing in a more electronic direction like their last EP?

Also if the postman doesn't bring me my copy of the new Up-C Down-C Left-C Right-C ABC + Start album tomorrow, I will be royally pissed.

Well, did you follow the last tour earlier in the year which was pretty much demoing the new stuff? There's still an element of electronica, but what seems to be happening is that the songs start out being very electronica indeed and then over the course of the song go back to the old rock of before. The one I heard before the encore yesterday night was their most epic song ever, I guarantee it. 65dos live is an experience and a half, and I can't wait to see them for a 9th time :)

I think they've pretty much played most of the songs from the new album live now, and the new album is going to be out spring 2010.

Apparently the UpCDownC album hasn't been seen anywhere since the release date. No copies delivered, nothing on internets (shh).

Souldark
Oct 14, 2003

The music of this handsome warrior once brought one hundred maidens to tears.

joelcamefalling posted:

I always take these questions as an opportunity to push Yndi Halda, Mono,Johnnytwentythree and Angel Eyes

This Will Destroy You, Caspian, Joy Wants Eternity and i hear sirens all fit the bill, too.

EDIT I have mispelled Joy Wants Eternity three different times now, what the hell is wrong with me

Souldark fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 18, 2009

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

thehustler posted:

The one I heard before the encore yesterday night was their most epic song ever, I guarantee it.

Assuming we got the same song before the encore in London, a million times this. It was amazing.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
Scored a last minute 65dos ticket for face value at Heaven. Goddamn, that was amazing. Anyone attending the live set at Matter in a couple of weeks?

I was really impressed with Three Trapped Tigers as well, even if that one song did make me feel like I'd been raped by a Space Invaders machine.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
hurf

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

thehustler posted:

Apparently the UpCDownC album hasn't been seen anywhere since the release date. No copies delivered, nothing on internets (shh).

Yeah, this is annoying me because I ordered it the day it went up (last Friday), and they're yet to email me saying it was sent or anything. And I only live in Ireland, so getting it in the mail shouldn't take that long either. The Silent Ballet have a review up though, so maybe they're just waiting on getting more copies in or something.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
Oh and I dunno if you guys are aware, but there's a new ASMZ record coming out in February. Between this and the new American Dollar album, early 2010 is looking to be pretty killer.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Edit: ^^^^^^^^ Awesome!

Sharrow posted:

I was really impressed with Three Trapped Tigers as well, even if that one song did make me feel like I'd been raped by a Space Invaders machine.

Me too, they were fantastic in Manchester. Never heard of them before but definitely checking them out.

PS, Epic 65daysofstatic new song "Tiger" is up on youtube in awful but listenable quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1YiNneTzJo

Was that the one they did in London before the encore too?

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

thehustler posted:

PS, Epic 65daysofstatic new song "Tiger" is up on youtube in awful but listenable quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1YiNneTzJo

Was that the one they did in London before the encore too?

Yeah, that's the one. Pretty excited for the new album now.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Sharrow posted:

Yeah, that's the one. Pretty excited for the new album now.

Me too.

I got to talk to Simon outside the venue and he said it'd be early 2010, Spring I guess. Also he is shorter than I thought.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

precision posted:

Wait, have we gone this whole thread without mentioning Crippled Black Phoenix, the post-rock supergroup occasionally featuring members of Mogwai and many other bands who have released three albums this year and are, to put it incredibly mildly, one of the best loving things on this planet? Better than the new Russian Circles in my book, better than Caspian, better than Meanwhile, Back In Communist Russia.

Seriously, they are rocketing to the top of my list very quickly. Look out, Grails.

Crippled Black Phoenix are probably going to be my artist/album of 2009 because goddamn do their new records kick rear end. Also, they only put out two albums this year, one is a compilation of the other two. ;) So far I think their new albums kill the new Russian Circles and Caspian; the only thing I've heard which might even come close is the new And So I Watch You From Afar album, that thing is amazing.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Technetium posted:

Crippled Black Phoenix are probably going to be my artist/album of 2009 because goddamn do their new records kick rear end. Also, they only put out two albums this year, one is a compilation of the other two. ;) So far I think their new albums kill the new Russian Circles and Caspian; the only thing I've heard which might even come close is the new And So I Watch You From Afar album, that thing is amazing.

I was about to jump on this and defend Geneva because it was my original Album of the Year, but I checked out the new CBP and goddamnit if they haven't been on repeat all day. 444 might very well be my track of the year, just edging out Russian Circles' Melee.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
Crippled Black Phoenix are indeed an awesome as gently caress band, but seriously, Rise Up and Fight is just a shamless rip off of One of These Days by Pink Floyd.

Album of the year has to go to Do Make Say Think, although From Monument to Masses and Russian Circles come very close.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

thehustler posted:

I might have paid that much... This will be my 8th time of seeing them. Good lord.

Any good gigs up your way in the near future? I'm in Preston now so it's nicer for the train if I want to head up to Carlisle or Lancaster.

I'm down at uni in Bristol now, so I'm not sure what's going on at home right now. It's a bit quiet seemingly, but my mate should be putting on some decent stuff in 2010, I'll keep you updated :)

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Rhg0061r posted:

Yeah, this is annoying me because I ordered it the day it went up (last Friday), and they're yet to email me saying it was sent or anything. And I only live in Ireland, so getting it in the mail shouldn't take that long either. The Silent Ballet have a review up though, so maybe they're just waiting on getting more copies in or something.

Arrived today, and is pretty good. Bit different from And the Battle is Won, it's a lot heavier, they've clearly been listening to ASIWYFA! Thought I'd hate the parts with vocals, but they fit perfectly and definitely add to the experience.

SlowlyChoking
Nov 23, 2004

Open fierce skies on me, on a bird and we experience the new death indeed.
I've really been digging the latest from Day for Airstrikes as well as The Calm Blue Sea's Siegfried. Both these bands slipped past my radar the past couple of years and they've been a refreshing change. I've been in an ambient heavy mood the past year so I am slowly trying to catch up with everything I missed. Actors and Actresses, Dorena and En plein air also have really solid releases this year.

LazerLemurz posted:

I'm not sure whether or not this band has been mentioned, and I'm sorry in advance if it was. But I stumbled upon this band recently, the name is Talkdemonic. It's hard to put a definite label on this style of post rock, but it includes, aside from the general instruments, a fair amount of electronic based sounds (i.e. Synths, etc.).

My favorite album: Eyes At Half Mast
Fantastic band, Beat Romantic is an incredible album.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Im going to see Russian Circles in about an hour :)

This is going to be sweet

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Latest Day for Airstrikes?

Wasn't aware there was any!

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Oh my god Russian Circles last night was loving amazing.

That drummer is just....wow.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

AccountSupervisor posted:

Oh my god Russian Circles last night was loving amazing.

That drummer is just....wow.

MONDAY.

CANNOT WAIT.

md10md
Dec 11, 2006
Anyone going to Do Make Say Think in Pontiac, MI at Crofoot tomorrow? Super excited.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I don't know if this would even count as post-rock anymore, but Eluvium has a new song up for stream from his upcoming new album. It's the first song he's done with vocals, and kind of sounds like a more produced track from The Album Leaf. I think I prefer his instrumental ambient stuff more, but this isn't too shabby.

The new album's out at the end of February, if any of you are interested.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
No matter how much post-rock I listen to I always come back to one glaring truth.

The best post-rock song of all time is Clouds/Then You Took Over by Beast, Please Be Still.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Rhg0061r posted:

Oh and I dunno if you guys are aware, but there's a new ASMZ record coming out in February. Between this and the new American Dollar album, early 2010 is looking to be pretty killer.

This is absolutely wonderful news. ASMZ is probably my favorite post-rock band still going, and I already love 'There Is A Light' and 'Metal Bird'.

SlowlyChoking
Nov 23, 2004

Open fierce skies on me, on a bird and we experience the new death indeed.

suddenlyissoon posted:

No matter how much post-rock I listen to I always come back to one glaring truth.

The best post-rock song of all time is Clouds/Then You Took Over by Beast, Please Be Still.

God, such a great song and band. Have you heard if they are working on anything new?

Proe Jetson
Sep 16, 2007

Nice. Great. Wonderful.
I'm guessing Isis belongs in this thread (even though I've got no clue as to what genre they properly belong to and I couldn't care less; I hate genre-fapping something fierce). Saw them live two weeks ago after only having really listened to In the Absence of Light and Wavering Radiant but still, they were loving great. As clear and precise as the actual records.

I've been digging through their earlier stuff since then and I'm especially impressed by Mosquito Control (Life under the Swatter, jesus christ), Oceanic and Celestial (but really, all of their music is fantastic). These guys write great melodies and can rip balls at that.

EDIT: Online I've always read countless comparisons of Isis to Neurosis but I'm honestly not hearing any of that. I think Neurosis sucks, their music can't grab me at all, unlike Isis'.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

http://www.65daysofstatic.com/blog

Touring April/May and lots of other months I imagine. They want to get back to touring again for long periods of time, they haven't done much this year.

So that'll be the 9th time I've seen em :D

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Proe Jetson posted:

EDIT: Online I've always read countless comparisons of Isis to Neurosis but I'm honestly not hearing any of that. I think Neurosis sucks, their music can't grab me at all, unlike Isis'.

Which Neurosis album did you listen to because Isis really are very indebted to them, and for the most part play a less harsh/heavy version of their sound. The two you should listen to, if you didn't, are Through Silver in Blood and Given to the Rising. The best description is Isis took Neurosis' sound and mixed it with some Tool and created their sound. Harsh vocals, slow build-ups to crescendos, "tribal" drumming, slow sludgy guitars. Isis stripped the sound of the weirder stuff, added some clean vocals and that's pretty much it, they're like a softer version of Neurosis.

Really, give Neurosis another shot. Listen to the song Aeon off of Through Silver in Blood, they are a really amazing band that influenced countless bands after them. Isis are good in their own right too.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
The problem I have with Neurosis is I've heard both awesome, instrumental songs and less awesome lyrical songs. Do they have any mostly instrumental albums I should be looking at, then?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Proe Jetson posted:

I'm guessing Isis belongs in this thread (even though I've got no clue as to what genre they properly belong to and I couldn't care less

There was a lot of Isis talk in the Stoner/Sludge/Doom thread. Although if you're not a fan of Neurosis, you may not have much in common with that thread.

I know you couldn't care less about genre, but if you want to find similar bands, they are generally called post-metal.

Just throwing out a few suggestions if you're into the lighter side of Isis:

• Red Sparowes
  • Pelican
  • Russian Circles
  • Maserati
And if you like the ballsier stuff:

• Cult of Luna
  • Rosetta
  • North

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007
I don't think we've talked about them in this thread yet but is anyone into *shels? I recently heard their album Sea of a Dying Dhow and it's easily one of the best post-rock/metal albums I've ever heard.

It's really heavy too at points. Check out this song. It might be the best post-rock song ever written. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7uhaPyZG9Y

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jan posted:

The problem I have with Neurosis is I've heard both awesome, instrumental songs and less awesome lyrical songs. Do they have any mostly instrumental albums I should be looking at, then?

As far as I can remember every album has vocals on it. I think Times of Grace may have a bit less so you should check it out. If you can combine it with Tribes of Neurot's Grace (ie: have them both playing at the same time) since I guess that was how they wanted the albums to be played, and it's really good.

Other bands and albums like Isis that are highly recommended:

Mouth of the Architect's Quietly
Irreversible's Age EP
Russian Circle's Geneva
the aforementioned Red Sparrows

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Jan posted:

You could try Neurosis and Jarboe, since almost all the vocals are by Jarboe. It's pretty weird but also a fantastic album IMO.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
#65doschat

Sharrow posted:

Anyone attending the live set at Matter in a couple of weeks?

four more days

I seriously have no idea how this is going to work given that it seems to be entirely a house night. Yet I am going to be there early expecting to be surprised.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
New ASMZ track up on their website.

It's pretty badass.

sisonpyh
Dec 9, 2005

Just the tip LeBron. Just the tip.
I'd just like to parrot the awesomeness of the latest Cripple Black Phoenix album. 444/Burnt Reynolds/Tim of Ye Life won't stop blowing my mind.

Thanks to whoever pointed me towards Daturah in this thread. They are loving amazing.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008

thehustler posted:

http://www.65daysofstatic.com/blog

Touring April/May and lots of other months I imagine. They want to get back to touring again for long periods of time, they haven't done much this year.

So that'll be the 9th time I've seen em :D

I'm going to see them in their hometown venue in sheffield.

Its my first time seeing them and I'm super excited!

While I'm here are there any good post rock bands that make extensive use of piano and/or horns in their stuff. The de-facto "bonus" instrument in post rock seems to be strings, but I really love for example when 65dos use pianos, which they did a lot on the destruction of small ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Kuno posted:

While I'm here are there any good post rock bands that make extensive use of piano and/or horns in their stuff. The de-facto "bonus" instrument in post rock seems to be strings, but I really love for example when 65dos use pianos, which they did a lot on the destruction of small ideas.

French Teen Idol and Gregor Samsa might be what you're looking for.