Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.

CitizenKain posted:

The original Rainbow 6 was amazing for griefing. I think the odds of making out of your own spawn was about 50/50, as the instant the game started you have people dropping grenades or going prone and gunning down their own side. Also flashbanging your own team is and will always be hilarious.

Bad memories of dropping prone at spawn and looking around frantically for the guy shooting your teammates so you could kill him as quickly as possible. I remember pretty distinctly that most matches came down to who'd been able to off the TKs on their team fastest, because they would have the most remaining players.

Chances weren't much better in co-op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The problem is that if you kill someone TKing, now somebody thinks you are the TKer.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Has anyone got that video in Second Life where there's some sort of talk/poetry session going on, and then a naked avatar strolls onto the stage with a huge jizzing wang, and starts doing this absolutely ridiculous dance, while still jizzing?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Sounds like 2/3 of the SL griefing videos out there. My all-time fav will always be SA's own penis parade.

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE

Yoshimo posted:

Has anyone got that video in Second Life where there's some sort of talk/poetry session going on, and then a naked avatar strolls onto the stage with a huge jizzing wang, and starts doing this absolutely ridiculous dance, while still jizzing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4JGl2KbHwc

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

Code Jockey posted:

Rainbow 6 was a lot of fun with this, indeed.

drat CS:S servers with their ability to track who teamflashed who :argh:

SWAT 4 was great for it, too.
Throw those rubber ball grenades to gently caress everyone up, then pump your ally full of lead and blame it on the closest enemy.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!

brilliant - it's hilarious! Cheers¬

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Syntax! posted:

SWAT 4 was great for it, too.
Throw those rubber ball grenades to gently caress everyone up, then pump your ally full of lead and blame it on the closest enemy.

One of the popular SWAT 4 mods (Sherriffs?) had a small bug in coop where you could arrest players on the other team. So my friends and I did that, and then punched them all to death. I could feel the seething hatred coming through the monitor.

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

Fury1671 posted:

One of the popular SWAT 4 mods (Sherriffs?) had a small bug in coop where you could arrest players on the other team. So my friends and I did that, and then punched them all to death. I could feel the seething hatred coming through the monitor.

I always used that II-99 mod, so pissing people off was really loving easy assuming you just shot pepperballs at their face and then walked into a room full of enemies, forcing them to do the same.

ptrpanda
Jun 14, 2009

That is one pretty slick dance right there.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Syntax! posted:

I always used that II-99 mod, so pissing people off was really loving easy assuming you just shot pepperballs at their face and then walked into a room full of enemies, forcing them to do the same.
One of the truly epic griefs in that game was abusing the taser.

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Hi my name is Doxylamine Succinate, I will be serving you tonight

Peven Stan posted:

One of the truly epic griefs in that game was abusing the taser.

In SWAT4 I used to taser my teammate and then beanbag him to death. I think that was the only way you could kill someone with a LTL gun.
Or when they're about to breach and clear a room full of bad guys I'd toss in a sting grenade at them so they'd all get killed.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

She sounds like she's going to pop a blood vessel at the end of it, she's trying to control herself so much.

ZoSoZodiac
Feb 27, 2002

by Tiny Fistpump
This thread reminded me of a EVE Online griefing operation I organized with some other goons called Operation Inconvenience.

Basically the goal was to blow up expensive ships using one of the four "weak newbie" ships that were free to spawn. One of them, the Gallente Velator, had a special kick rear end feature, it could carry two drones. With a little skill, which most of goonfleet had, those drones would be individually more powerful then the Valator itself. So why not spawn a hundred or so and pass them out to other goons and go see what happens?

So we did and about one hundred goons showed up for the op. After the nightmare of handing them out and everyone getting fitted with equipment that cost way more then a one shot newbie shop should have, we ventured out.
We didn't catch anything real big, but found a ferox out mining in lowsec. It melted it in about 10 seconds and probably half of them didn't even get a shot in. I think we suffered two lost Velators :smug:.

It was a good time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f21iJ7Whk50

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Last night in Left 4 Dead 2 my friend and I were matched up with two guys on our team for VS. As soon as the round started one of them began singing about us in a high-pitched voice (picture South Park's Mr. Hanky crossed with Michael Jackson), but the other guy would constantly save him from the kickvote. This went on for awhile and we just plotted to kill them when it was our turn as the survivors.

Well, it turns out melee weapons don't do significant friendly fire damage so we ended up dead while the singer and his friend made it to the saferoom. My Singing Hunter gimmick didn't register with the opposing team on the next round, so finally I went nuclear.

I grabbed my audio cable and hooked my headphone output into my mic input while cranking my mic sensitivity and volume as high as they would go. I have no idea what that sounded like, but all of a sudden the singing guy's mic chat icon disappeared an I started getting non-stop kickvotes. My friend managed to block most of them until he missed one while trying to show his girlfriend what we were doing. It was the most satisfying kickvote loss of my L4D career.

They really had no idea who they were loving with.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Shumagorath posted:

I grabbed my audio cable and hooked my headphone output into my mic input while cranking my mic sensitivity and volume as high as they would go. I have no idea what that sounded like, but all of a sudden the singing guy's mic chat icon disappeared an I started getting non-stop kickvotes. My friend managed to block most of them until he missed one while trying to show his girlfriend what we were doing. It was the most satisfying kickvote loss of my L4D career.

They really had no idea who they were loving with.

If only there were some way, any way, they could have removed their headphones, they might have been saved from your brutal onslaught.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

cornface posted:

If only there were some way, any way, they could have removed their headphones, they might have been saved from your brutal onslaught.

If it was that easy I don't think they would have gone from "sing into microphone" to "kickvote until it works oh god".

Eyebrows Mulligan
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl

RedHasSandles posted:

My buddies Delmore, Mr Byk, Sloppy and I went to the police ball tonight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUJzxx7T5QM

It was a thing!

Your voice is wonderful and it completes your avatar perfectly. This wouldn't be nearly as funny if it weren't for the delivery of it all.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else... I don't know.
But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves.

Shumagorath posted:

My friend managed to block most of them until he missed one while trying to show his girlfriend what we were doing.

She must really be something special.

Dirtface
Apr 4, 2005
15. 15 is the highest number there is. Ever
Second Life Story.

Tonight, after a few unsuccessful invasions on peoples events, one of which due to one prominant w-hatter simply sucking poo poo at griefing, I was teleported to the house of a certain well-known Second Life magician named Coby by a groupie irish friend that I hang out with, CJ. This is her. (Thats Gordon behind her) Note she's in on this:

Small backstory on Coby: He performs weekly magic shows on SL every monday night which consists of sawing audience members in half, having tigers jump thru flaming rings, visual illusions and card tricks. While this may possibly sound positively entertaining, it's nothing more than quite simple mechanics of the game itself. Furthermore, the tricks rarely work, and nobody is left astounded.

It's quite more Cobys personality that entices people to come. He's quite a character. Very loud, rednecky, and generally just a strange strange man. Only thing is, he has no idea the population of SL sees him this way. Essentially he's a nieve over-the-hill nerd that people come to watch because he'll get on voice chat and ham it up like a retard.

More importantly though, he's also a completely lecherous pervert. He runs a training class on how to dominate women. Also he's very horrible at it.

As far as CJ goes, CJ and Lyra have been running a long term scam on Coby where he beleives they are in slave-master servitude of him, for two purposes. One is to get money out of him, and two is to keep close tabs on him in case I ever want to mess with him. Which I do often.

Tonight, as I teleported in, I informed COby that he needed to find me a slave girl, because "I don't know how to dominate women." and asked him for tips. Here was his response:

"Rule Number 1 Chappy, you gotta stand firm"

Thats right. Thats it. I dunno.

"Rule 2 is you gotta tell them what to do. Like Come. Come here. Come to me. Get my magazine. Make me some food. Take off my shoes. Rub my feet, if you're into that sort of thing."

Clearly, I needed someone to practice the masters tricks on. So Coby heads out to some domination gor sim to bring back a slave girl, as he is under the impression that he's training me to become a master. Cj and Lyra quickly call in the goons. I may be missing names here, but within seconds in comes Bebbs, Sylauxe, Gordon, IllNinia, Beat, Cick, Norm, Wade, Gala.

I thought it best to dress up nice for the occasion:

The first girl he brought back didn't respond after I told her to rub my feet. Neither did the second. But then Coby brought this fine hooker specimen: Lux.

Sylauxe had mentioned that his feet hurt. So I promised him that the slave would rub his feet as well. Clearly, we both were in need:

Here is Lux and I getting aquainted as I'm telling her to rub my feet.

And in these, the text is the only thing important really as he rubs Sylauxes feet.

After footrubs, I told her (over voice) that I require a BBQ for my band of merry friends and I and since she's my slave, she must fetch the proper essentials for a barbecue. It went something like this:

Me: I require a barbecue for my friends and I.
Lux: Okay, what should I get, master?
Me: I will need 17 steaks. And Illninia is a vegetarian, so she will have a boca burger.
Gordon: I'm vegan.
Me: Okay. Gordon is Vegan, so you will need to mow the lawn, gather the grass clippings so he snack on that.
Lux: You want me to mow the lawn?
Me: yes. for the clippings.
Sylauxe: And I want a Bacon Cheeseburger with an orange soda.
Me: Sy will have that then.
Someone else: I want Escargot.
Lux: But what do YOU want master?
Me: a 72 pound ribeye steak.
Lux: Isn't that a lot?
Me: Don't question me.
Lux: I'm sorry. So 14 steaks, grass clippings, a ribeyesteak, boca burger and escargot.
Me: You're very good. Also Sweet Baby Rays Barbecue sauce. its the official meatslathering yumminess of W Hat.
Lux: Okay.
Bebbs: I want raw meat.
Me: Okay Bebbs only eats Raw meat, so i will need you to kill a cow, drain the blood and drag the carcass here for Bebbs.
Lux: Ok 13 steaks, grass clippings, a ribeye steak, boca burger, dead cow, sweet baby rays and escargot.
Me: Correct. After we stuff our bellies, I want you to perform the entire broadway musical Wicked. You will have to play all parts.
Lux: Really?
Me: Yes. Either that or the one man stage version of Jurrassic Park.
Gala: PICK JURRASIC PARK!

With that, she teleproted off....somewhere...to apparently gather my requested items. She ended up actually coming back. We partied for a little bit and IllNinia played us a few songs, including one entitled "Coby the Psycho Magician". Here are the lyrics:

Coby you're a loving psycho magician.
Coby you're a loving psycho magician.
But I'm not you're slave.
I'm not you're slave.
Coby you're a loving pervert.
Coby you're a loving human being.
Coby you're a cocksucker.
I'm not you're slave.

Oddly enough, Coby loved it and thanked Ninia.

Dirtface
Apr 4, 2005
15. 15 is the highest number there is. Ever
Speaking of Second Life, I almost forgot this. My friend Kiddoh from Second Life plays L4D and decided to gently caress with his friend Stephie. I give no other information. Just watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJC_DGW6G1U

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

So Left 4 Dead 2 is out, which means new survivors. With new survivors comes new versions of the age-old L4D griefing standby, the vocalize command.

Survivors are a chatty bunch, and have a ton of context-sensitive voice cues to a lot of different things. If you know how the game addresses these voice cues, the vocalize command lets you bind these to a key and use them anywhere.

One of them is a bind that is used during the Swamp Fever campaign - your survivor says "Get on the boat!" or something similar. It has a better effect, however - it makes the other survivors say it too, in an endless loop. It's supposed to stop when you get on a boat... but if you're doing this at will, well, there's no goddamn boat, now is there?

So I played with some goons earlier on Dark Carnival, which has some carnival games. One of them is a test-your-strength gong. Upon hitting it while under the effect of adrenaline, you hit the gong, make a shitload of noise, and attract a large horde of zombies. Using this noise to mask my initial triggering of the bind, I not only made it impossible to figure out who did it, but even made them think the gong was bugged. Eventually, accusations were flying, wondering if someone was manually able to trigger the survivors individually, all while Coach is repeatedly telling us to get on the goddamn boat.

After a while, I started to do it during tank and witch events as well. The mystery of the missing boat became a central focus of our sojourn through the carnival.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Novasol posted:

So Left 4 Dead 2 is out, which means new survivors. With new survivors comes new versions of the age-old L4D griefing standby, the vocalize command.

Survivors are a chatty bunch, and have a ton of context-sensitive voice cues to a lot of different things. If you know how the game addresses these voice cues, the vocalize command lets you bind these to a key and use them anywhere.

One of them is a bind that is used during the Swamp Fever campaign - your survivor says "Get on the boat!" or something similar. It has a better effect, however - it makes the other survivors say it too, in an endless loop. It's supposed to stop when you get on a boat... but if you're doing this at will, well, there's no goddamn boat, now is there?

So I played with some goons earlier on Dark Carnival, which has some carnival games. One of them is a test-your-strength gong. Upon hitting it while under the effect of adrenaline, you hit the gong, make a shitload of noise, and attract a large horde of zombies. Using this noise to mask my initial triggering of the bind, I not only made it impossible to figure out who did it, but even made them think the gong was bugged. Eventually, accusations were flying, wondering if someone was manually able to trigger the survivors individually, all while Coach is repeatedly telling us to get on the goddamn boat.

After a while, I started to do it during tank and witch events as well. The mystery of the missing boat became a central focus of our sojourn through the carnival.

AHAHAHAAAAA! There's a post in the L4D2 thread about someone asking if anyone else has had a bug caused by using adrenalin on the gong that causes a constant loop of "Get on the boat!" :mmmhmm:

I can't find the post now though.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

QwertySanchez posted:

AHAHAHAAAAA! There's a post in the L4D2 thread about someone asking if anyone else has had a bug caused by using adrenalin on the gong that causes a constant loop of "Get on the boat!" :mmmhmm:

I can't find the post now though.

Swilo posted:

Has anybody else run into a glitch in Dark Carnival where smashing the Moustachio hammer/bell gets the survivors stuck in an infinite loop of "GET ON THE BOAT!" vocalizes from the first level of Swamp Fever? It persisted all the way through the finale, past dozens of map restarts and changes.

We were very confused, but it was pretty funny.

:smug:

Novasol fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 30, 2009

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Swilo/Hotdog is a moron. Hahaha!

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Judakel posted:

Swilo/Hotdog is a moron. Hahaha!

He didn't make it out of the finale alive, ruining three or so hours of progress towards the Still Something to Prove achievement.

Also, narc in the L4D2 thread. Oh well, I had my fun.

FoF
Mar 22, 2007

I BET THE GOONS DID THIS

ASK ME ABOUT BITCOINS, CIS PRIVILEGE, AND MY MASSIVE KARMA ON REDDIT

Novasol posted:

He didn't make it out of the finale alive, ruining three or so hours of progress towards the Still Something to Prove achievement.

Also, narc in the L4D2 thread. Oh well, I had my fun.

Narc reporting in. Because meta griefing goons is nearly as good as actually griefing goons.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

FoF posted:

Narc reporting in. Because meta griefing goons is nearly as good as actually griefing goons.

It just makes the original grief even better.

FoF
Mar 22, 2007

I BET THE GOONS DID THIS

ASK ME ABOUT BITCOINS, CIS PRIVILEGE, AND MY MASSIVE KARMA ON REDDIT

Judakel posted:

It just makes the original grief even better.

How so I am not related to the original grief at all?

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I played L4D2 for the second time last night and I've found that I can't take it seriously at all. I've got to shoot every Witch, fall off every just-enough-to-incap drop over and over, eat all the medkits I can and as soon as I get the katana I'm committed to using it for the rest of the campaign.

I also pissed Supernorn off a lot last night by stealing his gnome and throwing it on the roof after they'd spent ten minutes trying to win it. I felt kind of bad for wasting all that effort, but it was so funny in such a juvenile kind of way - it was worth the guilt. :shobon:

They then killed me and spent the next few minutes discussing whether or not they'd save me from the next closet. 0staf did in the end. Thanks 0staf! :3:

I doubt I'm going to be invited to play very much any more.

tpg0007
Aug 4, 2009
In any MMORPG with player-serviced teleportation it's always fun to send people to unexpected places. I did that a lot in iRO by putting portal to Glasthelm right on top of town exits. So many dead novices.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

CitizenKain posted:

The original Rainbow 6 was amazing for griefing. I think the odds of making out of your own spawn was about 50/50, as the instant the game started you have people dropping grenades or going prone and gunning down their own side. Also flashbanging your own team is and will always be hilarious.
I hesitate to call it griefing, but in Rogue Spear I played enough that I could essentially grief the other team via play skill. I fell in love with the 9mm-SD and got good enough on my PC that I could rush into a room behind a flashbang, and headshot every single person in the room while strafing out the opposite door. The amount of rage and cheatnig accusations people would throw were pretty great, although mostly it came down to the fact that nobody EVER seemed to crouch when they were near teammates, so it was ludicrously easy to just strafe through a room with the no-recoil 9MM-SD and you had nearly 20 rounds to get it right, since nobody could hear you shooting at them..

Sniping Heavily Armored players with a silenced pistol from across the map was pretty badass as well, although in the end a large number of Rogue Spear maps just turned into whack-a-mole sniper campfests.

Rogue Spear taught me that low recoil and a silencer can often overcome superior numbers and firepower, and I've played like that ever since.

Garrdor
Apr 9, 2007

Hershey Squirts, Ace.
I'm a long-time griefer. Here's some examples.

EverQuest:

This was during the pre-expansion days. I trained one of my servers first GM sponsored weddings with a huge group of Sand Giants + Specters (in Oasis zone). Got off with only a week suspension.

When the 1st expansion came around there was a very sought after item called the Fungus Covered Tunic, or what we called a "Fungi". A RL friend of mine started playing on my server (Brell Serilis) with the prospects of griefing and scamming people. Anyways, we found a way to scam people into buying our "Fungi" that we saved up for so long. I had been saving my 'platinum' (The game currency) for some time. Through a favor we actually acquired one of these Fungis for pretty cheap.

Well, long story short - the Fungi shared the same icon/graphic in the inventory as a regular cloth tunic (which anyone could get ahold of). We'd go and put our Fungi up in the trade window for our customer to see. They'd put the money up and authorize the trade. We'd then cancel and put the Fungi back up. We'd cancel again and apologize and say that we're "lagging". About the 3rd or 4th time of this, we put the cloth tunic up in the trade window.

The result is us getting a fortune in this in-game currency. It worked without incident several times. Of course, we'd create new lowbie characters to do this scam, hand off the money - and delete them.

Another EQ moneymaking scheme. There was a dock in the town of Qeynos that a boat showed up at every 10 minutes or so. We found out that if I stand on the dock, and he stands on the boat - if he gives me X item or X amount of currency, when the boat takes off and 'zones' into another map of the game, whatever he gave me returned in his inventory (and I'd keep mine, duplication baby!). We did this for about 2 days before it got fixed. As it turned out, somebody on another server was doing it too - and got caught.

The best part about our EQ scamming - is that my partner in crime's dad would help us facilitate the Ebaying of this currency (which people would in-fact buy). I ended up getting a new Compaq Presario PC that could play all the new-hip games! Hooray for MMO scamming!

Team Fortress

1. Plague spreader: I love this game. I love to ruin this game for everyone. Me and my partner in crime (P.I.C.) would join opposite sides. He'd pick a medic, and I'd pick a scout. The scout is known for their speed - the medic can 'infect' enemies. Unless they are 'cured' by another medic, their life will slowly dwindle down until they die. We'd join crowded servers, hopefully populated by a number of snipers - and we'd meet up and get my scout infected. I'd run back into my base and make my rounds. I'd first grab some medkits (which would heal me to full, but not cure my disease) and take off to wherever our snipers are at. Note: when a players infected, they can spread it to their teammates through proximity.

I'd 'bump' into our snipers and infect them. I'd then run back to one of the respawn areas and hang out in there. I'd make sure to give every single teammate a present before they left to join the battle. This would usually result in me getting kicked/banned - or if there wasn't an admin in the game, my team would go as far as co-operating with the other team to get them into the respawn to kill me.

2. Flag holding/Prez camping : I'm sure everyone has done this. You grab the flag, you go somewhere and hold it. If it's a map like Dustbowl, where your objective is to inch the flag from your base to the enemies - it makes for all the better griefing. I'd personally like to sit back during Dustbowl and let the flag get extremely close to the objective, then use my ninja-scout skills and pick it up and bring it back to our base. Great way to piss off 20+ people.

Now the "Prez" - There was this game mode in TFC called "The Hunted". There was a team of 5 snipers who have to assassinate this fat guy in a suit dubbed "The Prez". He could have X amount of players guarding him from the snipers. The Prez had to get to the end of the map alive. This game mode takes a good amount of cooperation to achieve the desired gameplay. The times I scored the role as the Prez, I'd make sure to never leave me safe room (in the beginning of the map). Good times!

3. Sentry Gun Blocking : The Engineer class is great for defending your base. I also found that if the other team is doing too well - the Engineer class is also fantastic for blocking their players in their respawn (after changing teams, of course). It's been patched since then, but there was one point where you could build your Sentry Gun in the respawn area in 2Fort. Alot of fun was had, but it got patched. My favorite place to put one is the top-center catwalk respawn on the popular map "Rock2". You can place your sentry gun literally right in front of the narrow door. Ah, memories.

Counter-Strike

Fantastic game! I couldn't find very many ways to grief, other than shooting the hostages and spamming respawn with smoke grenades the whole match. I had to get a little creative. There were some wonderful 'hacking' programs made for this game. Of course, if you got caught (and this was pre-steam) - I'd simply get a server ban. There wasn't any lockdown of your CD-key. Now, my favorite program back then was called "OGC-9". It had this great 'hack' for servers that ran the popular "admin mod" (A program that eliminated the need for admins by giving players vote control on everything). You could literally crash the server and restart it. Of course, when it did this - there was a 'voice-annoy' function that blared "SUCK MAH MOTHAF***IN DICK" before it crashed.

Ah, autoaim and wall-hacks galore. So much fun. It also had a feature that allowed you to shoot any weapon completely automatic. Pump shotgun got real interesting when it could empty all 8 rounds on the first click.

Day of Defeat : To piss off people, I'd make sure to join a friendly-fire server and play as the M1 Garand weilding class. I'd go prone in our respawn and shoot my teammates once in the leg/foot. This would cause all but like 5-10% of their health to go bye-bye. This worked really well on servers that just penalized for actual team-kills and not team-attacks. I've had way too much fun with this one. So many hours spent... Wasted? Nah. There's a special place in my heart for the screaming frustration of others, as you can probably tell by now.

Oh, I could go on and on. Great thread!

Garrdor fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 30, 2009

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I can't for the love of god remember the game, but it was one of the many tactical shooters where one of the options of your kit was a claymore mine.

Given most levels had common paths through them it was somewhat criminal to sneak around predicting where people would be.

The mines would go off through doors making concealment pretty drat easy.

Many would ragequit after running through the same door and getting killed, then trying the other route and realizing that I'd thought of that as well.

Or suss out the popular sniper spots and set one behind them so when the sniper usually ducked and moved backwards to reload would get a nasty shock as the doors exploded.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

WebDog posted:

I can't for the love of god remember the game, but it was one of the many tactical shooters where one of the options of your kit was a claymore mine.

Given most levels had common paths through them it was somewhat criminal to sneak around predicting where people would be.

The mines would go off through doors making concealment pretty drat easy.

Many would ragequit after running through the same door and getting killed, then trying the other route and realizing that I'd thought of that as well.

Or suss out the popular sniper spots and set one behind them so when the sniper usually ducked and moved backwards to reload would get a nasty shock as the doors exploded.

This wasn't the UT Mod Infiltration was it?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Garrdor posted:

Counter-Strike

Fantastic game! I couldn't find very many ways to grief, other than shooting the hostages and spamming respawn with smoke grenades the whole match. I had to get a little creative. There were some wonderful 'hacking' programs made for this game. Of course, if you got caught (and this was pre-steam) - I'd simply get a server ban. There wasn't any lockdown of your CD-key. Now, my favorite program back then was called "OGC-9". It had this great 'hack' for servers that ran the popular "admin mod" (A program that eliminated the need for admins by giving players vote control on everything). You could literally crash the server and restart it. Of course, when it did this - there was a 'voice-annoy' function that blared "SUCK MAH MOTHAF***IN DICK" before it crashed.

No one likes hacking, it's not funny or creative. Sorry.

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

Garrdor posted:

Counter-Strike

Ah, autoaim and wall-hacks galore. So much fun. It also had a feature that allowed you to shoot any weapon completely automatic. Pump shotgun got real interesting when it could empty all 8 rounds on the first click.

Hacks aren't funny and just show that you can't incite rage without the help of a program.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Syntax! posted:

Hacks aren't funny and just show that you can't incite rage without the help of a program.

And seriously it's CS, CS is one of the easiest games I've ever seen for setting people off, at least before tracking sprays/teamflashes came along.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

If anyones been keeping up with Modern Warfare 2, theyve probably run into the Javelin Glitch. Basically, when you die, a high powered anti-air missile explodes at your feet. Leads to hilarious results with terrible youtube videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Back when I played FFXI I reached a point where I got fed up with waiting eight hours to get into a group my level as a Monk so I started playing a Beastmaster. The Beastmaster was the only job in the game (this is pre-expansion) that allowed you to solo effectively to high levels. I mean, if you had some music to listen to anyway, since you were still playing an MMO except now you didn't have any party members. Anyway.

Beastmasters tamed roaming creatures to help them out; that's why they could play alone. They also had the ability to release these monsters from servitude at will. Originally, monsters tamed and released by a Beastmaster could aggro and kill the Beastmaster almost immediately after being released. This was fixed, by making released monsters be 'docile' for a few moments before behaving normally. Now, there was a magical, wonderful span of time of only a couple months between two very important events that I liked to call "the good times."

Event 1: It became feasible to release a docile monster into a party in the midst of a fight.

Event 2: MPK, or "Monster Player Killing," became a permaban offense.

The docile monster would aggro the party and, considering FFXI parties always fought monsters they could just barely afford to in the first place, it would lead to mass death. Death in FFXI meant hours, days, sometimes weeks of powergrinding would be undone, because death made you lose 10% of the total difference in XP between your level and next level. Sometimes this meant you could go down a level.

At a period where I was most frustrated by the players on my server, the way the game was shaping up, botting was rampant, and inflation was completely out of control because of gilselling (goldselling), I entered... the protection racket.

"This is a nice party you've got here. It'd be a shame if someone were to release a monster into it and wipe you guys out. I'm just saying."

Occasionally, I'd be contracted by one party (pooling money amongst each other) to go wipe another party, because workable camping spots in some areas were so few and in such high demand that people just completely lost all conscience about what they'd do to make sure they didn't have to wait six hours for the last party to clear out or go idle in town for the right hour of the day to come along so they could craft. These 'contracts' were so fun for me that I eventually just began to put up bidding wars between newcomers and the established camp to one of these high-demand zones. Running back and forth, watching prices go up. At the start I just did it because I wanted to make sure nobody was having fun, but eventually I just found it loving hilarious and it was my only reason to log on.

Sometimes I would watch a bidding war add a 0 to my 'protection money,' then regardless of who won I'd wipe the camping party, let the new party take over, then wipe them too. IT NEVER STOPPED BEING HILARIOUS. Word got around (servers were/are pretty tight-knit) and it was common knowledge that I was untrustworthy, but people were so addicted to the grind that they paid anyway out of hope I wouldn't cause them to have wasted the last four nights they spent playing from noon to dawn in one death.

Then the glory days faded and MPK turned into something that could get your credit card permanently banned from FFXI. Luckily the powers that be decided to only permaban people who did it AFTER the declaration, so I stayed on for a month or two more before giving up out of complete boredom. C'est la vie!

Edit - I forgot to mention that I used this same ability to kill players that fished with bots because it's pretty easy for a monster to kill someone who's going to be completely idle for the next 18 hours. Community service!

ellbent fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Dec 1, 2009

• Locked thread