Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Welcome to the machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I dunno, I might hold out for a DRZ. It is the most fun starter bike ever. Don't worry too much about the hooligan aspect, temptation is one thing but learning on a DRZ is just a great experience all around.

Don't send yourself into financial ruin for it, but if you can hold out a bit (especially as its winter), and wait for a deal, you can pick up a SM for 3k-3.5k. Start searching forums more than craiglist and it'll happen.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll probably go for the ex250, I'd rather be riding sooner than later. I've already been waiting about 3 months. I'll enjoy the DRZ more later, and as long as I don't gently caress up the 250 it's basically just like riding around on money. They sell quick out here.

Also I'm in Los Angeles, so January is about 65 degrees avg and sometimes rains (rarely)

Are there forums I should look at for people selling bikes in this area? Or do you just mean the thumpertalk/sm forums?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

soy posted:

I'll probably go for the ex250, I'd rather be riding sooner than later. I've already been waiting about 3 months. I'll enjoy the DRZ more later, and as long as I don't gently caress up the 250 it's basically just like riding around on money. They sell quick out here.

Also I'm in Los Angeles, so January is about 65 degrees avg and sometimes rains (rarely)

Are there forums I should look at for people selling bikes in this area? Or do you just mean the thumpertalk/sm forums?

Craigslist is your best option, as it sees a lot of traffic. If you'll be in the bay area, i'd check bayarearidersforum, as a lot of deals come up there too.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Sonic Dude posted:

Excellent comparison. :science:
I think I've narrowed it down to those two bikes based on what I've seen in the area.

Does the private sale market change noticeably this time of year vs. spring? And if so, is it in my favor?

Thanks for all the help, everyone. :)
this is what you all get for me not visitng this thread in a month.

The difference is head cooling, and head design. The Ninja is a 4 valve motor, and it's water cooled. The ninja is running a much higher compression ratio than the GS. The GS is more or less a lawnmower motor, and the ninja is very close to the engine in your car.

The comparison made "intel versus amd" is a very very poor one. You're looking at more the difference between say, pentium, and pentium mmx. If you want to stick with the computer analogies.

Screwit, thread caught up on. I promise not to leave you noobs behind. :-)

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Nerobro posted:

You're looking at more the difference between say, pentium, and pentium mmx.

Holy poo poo, I haven't read or heard the phrase "pentium mmx" since like 1997.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

197x-something Kawasaki Z750R, good beginner bike?

http://translate.google.com/transla...350&sl=da&tl=en

The translation is hilariously bad, what it really says is:

Passed inspection 22/7-09, no faults.
Milage ca.48.000km, Starts and runs fine.
Titanium GSXR1000 slip-on, Tommaselli touring handlebars, Eddie Lawson Replica fairing included.
Small dent in tank and a tear in the seat, otherwise a solid bike.

Will it fall apart on me within weeks or will be a good starter biker for a total noob?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 8, 2009

Digital Casing
Oct 17, 2008

by Lowtax
I've been riding for about 8 years now and have owned several 1L bikes. I've always wanted a Hayabusa. When they first came out they were making bigger numbers than the other smaller 1L bikes. Now it appears that the gap has closed quite a bit.

I was first looking at getting a 1st generation busa but after seeing the numbers the newer R1 puts out I'm stuck. I know the Busa is heavier and not as nimble and puts out close to the same Hp. I guess I'm looking for advantages the busa would have over a newer 1L sport bike. Will the Busa have quicker 1/4 mile times or will it only be apparent that the busa is a faster bike when it hits 150mph speeds? The only thing on the net I have seen is from 2003.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Digital Casing posted:

I've been riding for about 8 years now and have owned several 1L bikes. I've always wanted a Hayabusa. When they first came out they were making bigger numbers than the other smaller 1L bikes. Now it appears that the gap has closed quite a bit.

I was first looking at getting a 1st generation busa but after seeing the numbers the newer R1 puts out I'm stuck. I know the Busa is heavier and not as nimble and puts out close to the same Hp. I guess I'm looking for advantages the busa would have over a newer 1L sport bike. Will the Busa have quicker 1/4 mile times or will it only be apparent that the busa is a faster bike when it hits 150mph speeds? The only thing on the net I have seen is from 2003.

The busa's gonna have a fatter low end and midrange. There is something to be said for having 35% more displacement. That also helps the quarter mile time, and I'm the busa has a longer wheelbase, helping the quarter as well.

Busa's faster down the quarter, bone stock, the liter will be faster anywhere where you're relying on anything but engine. Better on the brakes, through the corners, etc.

It's gonna be close though, I don't know if most riders have the skills to get a stock busa dipping below the 10 second mark. Unless you're a drag racing god, I don't think the bike is going to be the biggest factor. Also, the quarter time doesn't say it all...the liters tend to have a higher speed through the quarter but lose out on launch because of absurd gearing and short wheelbase.

Kozmo, I'd say that's not a good beginner bike. I'd keep shopping around. Big, heavy, and I have no idea how reliable it'd be. Are there any options for newer, smaller displacement bikes?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Anyone looking for an old BMW for pretty cheap? http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1501489826.html

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Digital Casing posted:

Have you ridden one? The 'busa's engine is immmense, but so is the rest of the bike. These are two completely different options. There is a significant difference in the power delivery at the bottom end thanks to that c. 300cc advantage. It's a big, wide bike and feels like someone taped up the holes in the fairing and poured a couple wheelbarrows full of cement in. While it corners in a fairly composed way (despite the weight), it brakes as well as you would expect given the above. It will be expensive to keep in rubber.

While I guess it depends on what you want out of a bike, I personally can't see any advantage to the 'busa.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Could you please by it and post the Eddie Lawson robe to me? Is it suitably stained by years of nocturnal abuse?

I think the translated comments/responses to the ad are even better.

That's a big, heavy bike for a beginner. If you want something like that, there's a white CB750F2 listed. But yes, big, heavy, relatively powerful and elderly are not a good combination. If you can only do "cheap" (in Danish terms that is), something with less engine and less weight would be a better idea.

KozmoNaut posted:

197x-something Kawasaki Z750R, good beginner bike?

http://translate.google.com/transla...350&sl=da&tl=en

The translation is hilariously bad, what it really says is:

Passed inspection 22/7-09, no faults.
Milage ca.48.000km, Starts and runs fine.
Titanium GSXR1000 slip-on, Tommaselli touring handlebars, Eddie Lawson Replica fairing included.
Small dent in tank and a tear in the seat, otherwise a solid bike.

Will it fall apart on me within weeks or will be a good starter biker for a total noob?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Z3n posted:

Are there any options for newer, smaller displacement bikes?

There aren't really that many <20 year old bikes bikes available in that price range, danes seem to think their bikes are solid gold.

The current best option is to buy a cheap bike in Germany and import it, I can save 10-15% on some bikes this way, it's just a bigger risk and a lot of work :)

I've heard rumors that new SV650s are going to be significantly cheaper (in Denmark) in 2010 compared to previous models, perhaps second-hand prices are going to drop as well. If I could squeeze in under 30K DKK on a used SV650 imported from Germany, wonderful V-twin magic may be in my future :)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

There aren't really that many <20 year old bikes bikes available in that price range, danes seem to think their bikes are solid gold.

For something of a similar age, this one looks more suitable for an inexperienced rider.

http://www.motorcykelgalleri.dk/html/mar_vis.asp?MarID=60464

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Saga posted:

For something of a similar age, this one looks more suitable for an inexperienced rider.

http://www.motorcykelgalleri.dk/html/mar_vis.asp?MarID=60464

Sweet bike. Plus it's a Honda so it probably won't fall apart on me :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That honda would be a great bike. Only concern I'd have would be the cam chain tensioner, sometimes they get sticky on these bikes, and need to be unstuck, or the cam chain will start to eat into the cases.

Digital Casing
Oct 17, 2008

by Lowtax

Saga posted:

Have you ridden one? The 'busa's engine is immmense, but so is the rest of the bike. These are two completely different options. There is a significant difference in the power delivery at the bottom end thanks to that c. 300cc advantage. It's a big, wide bike and feels like someone taped up the holes in the fairing and poured a couple wheelbarrows full of cement in. While it corners in a fairly composed way (despite the weight), it brakes as well as you would expect given the above. It will be expensive to keep in rubber.

While I guess it depends on what you want out of a bike, I personally can't see any advantage to the 'busa.

No, I never got the chance to ride one. Never met anyone that has had one. I only wanted a busa because they have always been said to be so much faster. I'll just try to go test ride one off of CL. I've just run into a bunch of the "No test rides". In all reality I'll just get a 06-08 R1 if the busa has no real advantages anymore.

Z3n posted:

The busa's gonna have a fatter low end and midrange. There is something to be said for having 35% more displacement. That also helps the quarter mile time, and I'm the busa has a longer wheelbase, helping the quarter as well.

Busa's faster down the quarter, bone stock, the liter will be faster anywhere where you're relying on anything but engine. Better on the brakes, through the corners, etc.

It's gonna be close though, I don't know if most riders have the skills to get a stock busa dipping below the 10 second mark. Unless you're a drag racing god, I don't think the bike is going to be the biggest factor. Also, the quarter time doesn't say it all...the liters tend to have a higher speed through the quarter but lose out on launch because of absurd gearing and short wheelbase.

This is what I was curious about. This being said the busa will only be quicker down the montana highways at 170+?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Digital Casing posted:

No, I never got the chance to ride one. Never met anyone that has had one. I only wanted a busa because they have always been said to be so much faster.

You have to realize that the vast majority of people have zero experience with actually getting everything out of a motorcycle. Anything with 600ccs will make most people poo poo their pants, and a lot of the people who :circlefap: the most about how fast their bike is have never actually pinned the throttle and gone for it.

If you're looking for monster stomp, though, IMO the bike to buy is the 08+ CBR1000RR. It's not gonna make you feel like you're going all super fast, but you will go very, very stupid fast. If you're looking for a bike that makes you feel every MPH, the ZX10 is where it's at. The GSX-Rs are great for track riding/support, and the Yamahas are great bikes but sort of lacking in engine compared to the other liters out there. I rode the GSX-R and the R1 back to back and while I probably went faster on the R1, as it's deceptively smooth and quick, the GSX-R was way more thrilling to ride.

You're honestly talking about 2 completely different bikes here. The Busa is a hypertouring bike, the liters are actual sportbikes. If you want raw performance, the supersport is where to go. If you want something that you can ride every day that also has a huge amount of HP, go for the busa.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

If you're looking for monster stomp, though, IMO the bike to buy is the 08+ CBR1000RR. It's not gonna make you feel like you're going all super fast, but you will go very, very stupid fast.

The new CBR1000s are completely goddamn awesome. If you can find them around there are some loving OUTSTANDING deals on leftover 08s. I got mine for $7835 out the door, and I've seen better deals out of state but it wasn't worth it to me to gently caress around with driving or arranging shipping for a couple hundred bucks difference.

Z3n posted:

The Busa is a hypertouring bike, the liters are actual sportbikes.

I don't know if I would agree with that either. I had a brief ride on a 'busa about a year ago and honestly I think the CBR is more comfortable. Not to mention the 'busa dumped a TON of heat directly on your thighs/balls. Yeah it might be a tiny bit more aerodynamic but if broiling my junk is the price paid I think I'll go with the alternative. The CBR certainly doesn't have the pure low end stonk the 'busa has, but anything above 5k is great.

Fantastic engine, great brakes and handling, extremely comfortable for a sportbike, amazing deals on leftover '08s -- OR -- a huge monster of an engine in some swoopy bodywork on an overweight bike that gives you toasty balls. Your choice!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

needknees posted:

toasty balls

Hey man, some people might be into that, you never know.

I don't have anything to add to the 'Busa debate other than that my 20-year-old 600 feels retardedly fast to me and I can't imagine having the need to go any faster outside of a track. Of course I'm also a huge pussy but that's neither here nor there.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yet another "is this bike noob-friendly"-type question :)

1982 Suzuki GSX400f in the same price range as previously:

http://www.dba.dk/suzuki-gsx-400-f-400-ccm/id-63338639/

Googling for "gsx400f issues" etc. shows no real trouble items, apart from having to religiously adjust the valves on-schedule, apparently. ~42hp sounds like a good starting point and I love the styling.

I have to admit, the pictures are what really get me, it looks almost completely new!

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I'm looking at 2004 CBR1000RR with 18k miles, mechanically all stock, and supposedly in good condition except for having an entire set of those knock-off Repsol fairings, some of which is cracked. He's asking $3500 with newish tires. Sound like a good deal? What should I check in terms of damage from what I can only assume were a couple of drops/wrecks? I'm interested in a liter bike but don't really want to blow a ton on what will essentially be a toy for me. Also, to prevent preemptive "are you sure you want a literbike?" I've been riding for 5 years and around 40k miles.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

I'm looking at 2004 CBR1000RR with 18k miles, mechanically all stock, and supposedly in good condition except for having an entire set of those knock-off Repsol fairings, some of which is cracked. He's asking $3500 with newish tires. Sound like a good deal? What should I check in terms of damage from what I can only assume were a couple of drops/wrecks? I'm interested in a liter bike but don't really want to blow a ton on what will essentially be a toy for me. Also, to prevent preemptive "are you sure you want a literbike?" I've been riding for 5 years and around 40k miles.

That sounds like a fairly decent deal. Check the damage to the plastics and ask about why he replaced them initially. It also may be worth having the frame/forks checked for straightness, if you can find those services in your area. Check that nothing's bent or broken, and look for scratches on the frame under the damaged areas.

KozmoNaut posted:

Yet another "is this bike noob-friendly"-type question :)

1982 Suzuki GSX400f in the same price range as previously:

http://www.dba.dk/suzuki-gsx-400-f-400-ccm/id-63338639/

Googling for "gsx400f issues" etc. shows no real trouble items, apart from having to religiously adjust the valves on-schedule, apparently. ~42hp sounds like a good starting point and I love the styling.

I have to admit, the pictures are what really get me, it looks almost completely new!

That's about what you're looking for. If you're careful with it, it should be able to stay that clean :) A good choice.

Digital Casing
Oct 17, 2008

by Lowtax

Z3n posted:

If you're looking for monster stomp, though, IMO the bike to buy is the 08+ CBR1000RR. It's not gonna make you feel like you're going all super fast, but you will go very, very stupid fast. If you're looking for a bike that makes you feel every MPH, the ZX10 is where it's at. The GSX-Rs are great for track riding/support, and the Yamahas are great bikes but sort of lacking in engine compared to the other liters out there. I rode the GSX-R and the R1 back to back and while I probably went faster on the R1, as it's deceptively smooth and quick, the GSX-R was way more thrilling to ride.

Alright I have been talked out of a busa. I already have a Sv1000 that I converted into a touring bike. I'm just looking to replace my older 1L sportbike with something stupid fast. I have an old harley sitting around that I might take in and see what they will give me for it on a trade. Have to say the newer hondas are sexy. Looks like I'll have to keep an eye out for one. Thanks for the help.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Digital Casing posted:

:cough: A 200bhp Beemer would probably be prety quick. http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/12/bmw-s1000rr-makes-183hp-on-dyn.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

:cough: A 200bhp Beemer would probably be prety quick. http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/12/bmw-s1000rr-makes-183hp-on-dyn.html

Holy poo poo. Gotta ride one of those now. They were fantastically compact bikes, too. Maybe I'll drop by the BMW dealership...haha.

Digital Casing
Oct 17, 2008

by Lowtax
I would have expected it to be in the 17k price range. The front headlight looks like they Frankensteined the fairing. Maybe when I see one that some chump bought, rode it around the block and then garaged it out of fear.

r!de the short bus
Nov 22, 2007
"The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons." Dostoevsky
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/1501220653.html

hey all,

ive ridden almost all of the different types of bikes, had a sport touring bike and loved it, but my true heart and soul lies in the xl 500. that and mostly older bikes. anyway this guy is asking 900 for a 82, and i think i will offer him closer to 7. this depends however in how well hes taken care of her. Besides obvious signs of wear that i could figure out, suspension, brakes, cosmetic, and any sounds i may hear, what else should i really look at to make sure im not going to get hosed putting in a lot of money real soon? i have been riding for less than a year and want a dual sport for getting around as my main transportation, and playing on the amazing fire roads up here in Santa Barbara.

give me knowledge oh bike gods of the CA

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I've got a friend with one. It's a 6v setup kickstart only. Other the having electrical problems, and flooding the carbs/and having to bump start it every once in a while, it's a pretty cool bike. If it's in good shape I'd do it. Same engine as the FT500 Ascot, and has a 23inch front wheel, which there arn't many choices for (according to him).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

r!de the short bus posted:

hey all,

ive ridden almost all of the different types of bikes, had a sport touring bike and loved it, but my true heart and soul lies in the xl 500. that and mostly older bikes. anyway this guy is asking 900 for a 82, and i think i will offer him closer to 7. this depends however in how well hes taken care of her. Besides obvious signs of wear that i could figure out, suspension, brakes, cosmetic, and any sounds i may hear, what else should i really look at to make sure im not going to get hosed putting in a lot of money real soon? i have been riding for less than a year and want a dual sport for getting around as my main transportation, and playing on the amazing fire roads up here in Santa Barbara.

I had one for awhile, it was ratty and lovely as a result, but still a fun bike. Some have had issues with top end oil starvation and flaking rockers, XRsOnly makes replacements, I believe. Shouldn't be too expensive. But honestly, if it runs, it's probably good. I paid 750$ for mine, street legal and ready to go, and it wasn't in nearly as nice shape as that.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Update (or rather non-update) on the KLR650 from a month ago, previous owner decided he didn't want to sell it. I kinda got that vibe talking with him, maybe I should have just showed up at his door with a thick wad of cash in hand. Oh well.

r!de the short bus posted:

That bike looks like fun, kickstarts own. There's a guy up in the panhandle on ADVRider with an XR600 of similar vintage, but he's asking $1500 for it and it still needs some minor work.

I just did a quick CL search in my area and there's a non-running '79 XL500 for $350 OBO (seems he'll take $250), it looks complete but I don't really have much in the way of wrenching skills. Bummer.

Was also looking to see if anyone had imported a Minsk and came across this '95 Ural. I wonder if it would make it back to Tampa...

Anyways, I think I'm still going to be on the lookout for a KLR or DR 650, once I've got my diploma in hand I think I'll be signing up for the MSF.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Update (or rather non-update) on the KLR650 from a month ago, previous owner decided he didn't want to sell it. I kinda got that vibe talking with him, maybe I should have just showed up at his door with a thick wad of cash in hand. Oh well.

That bike looks like fun, kickstarts own. There's a guy up in the panhandle on ADVRider with an XR600 of similar vintage, but he's asking $1500 for it and it still needs some minor work.

I just did a quick CL search in my area and there's a non-running '79 XL500 for $350 OBO (seems he'll take $250), it looks complete but I don't really have much in the way of wrenching skills. Bummer.

Was also looking to see if anyone had imported a Minsk and came across this '95 Ural. I wonder if it would make it back to Tampa...

Anyways, I think I'm still going to be on the lookout for a KLR or DR 650, once I've got my diploma in hand I think I'll be signing up for the MSF.

Talking Head
May 9, 2009
Hey guys, what do you think about this bike? http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/1500823130.html

It's a 1981 Yamaha R500 with 28,000 miles. It's a kickstart :)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

I had one for awhile, it was ratty and lovely as a result, but still a fun bike. Some have had issues with top end oil starvation and flaking rockers, XRsOnly makes replacements, I believe. Shouldn't be too expensive. But honestly, if it runs, it's probably good. I paid 750$ for mine, street legal and ready to go, and it wasn't in nearly as nice shape as that.

I have a friend who owned (owns?) one of these - also had issues with the top end, but of course it was an old bike.

Also, 6v electrics(!), but if you want an old bike, that's an occupational hazard.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
Hopefully my e-cred hasn't been to tarnished around here to ask this, buuut

I'm looking for a scooter under $1000 in the Seattle area. I live downtown and I need a better way to get around town, the busses suck and I don't have the capital to grab something bigger, but I miss being on two wheels so I honestly don't care about the displacement or the hp...I just wanna ride again!

I've been looking around Craigslist here in Seattle but I keep coming up with strange named poo poo that has no name beside "50cc scooter works gREAT!"

Any suggestions? I'd prefer something that wasn't covered in plastics, just because I think it looks tacky but I also need something that isn't going to breakdown on me within 6 months requiring major mechanical work, as I won't be able to do the work myself and would hate to dump the price of the scooter back into repairs so quickly down the road.

edit- ideally it would be between 50-150cc, I don't need anything big. This is just for putting around the city and sideroads.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 12, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Morphix posted:

Hopefully my e-cred hasn't been to tarnished around here to ask this, buuut

I'm looking for a scooter under $1000 in the Seattle area. I live downtown and I need a better way to get around town, the busses suck and I don't have the capital to grab something bigger, but I miss being on two wheels so I honestly don't care about the displacement or the hp...I just wanna ride again!

I've been looking around Craigslist here in Seattle but I keep coming up with strange named poo poo that has no name beside "50cc scooter works gREAT!"

Any suggestions? I'd prefer something that wasn't covered in plastics, just because I think it looks tacky but I also need something that isn't going to breakdown on me within 6 months requiring major mechanical work, as I won't be able to do the work myself and would hate to dump the price of the scooter back into repairs so quickly down the road.

edit- ideally it would be between 50-150cc, I don't need anything big. This is just for putting around the city and sideroads.

Ninja250 without plastics. (moped?)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

blugu64 posted:

Ninja250 without plastics. (moped?)

Not to encourage the 250 army any more than they already have been, but this is what I'd go for. Enough power to get you around and have fun, freeway capable. They've been around forever, and are pretty much dirt simple, so you should be able to go from there.

Besides that, maybe rock a moped or similar such setup? All of the chinese scooters are poo poo. I've got one sitting in a friend's yard right now, it's poo poo.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Another question on those 80's Honda dual sports: am I pretty much poo poo out of luck as far as saddlebags? There's an XR600 for $850 locally, but not being able to put more than a change of clothes/sleeping bag/tent on the back would be a dealbreaker for me. So far I've found a $150 rear rack, but nothing as far as saddlebag holders.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Another question on those 80's Honda dual sports: am I pretty much poo poo out of luck as far as saddlebags? There's an XR600 for $850 locally, but not being able to put more than a change of clothes/sleeping bag/tent on the back would be a dealbreaker for me. So far I've found a $150 rear rack, but nothing as far as saddlebag holders.

Is there someplace to mount stuff too? And do you have access to an Oxy/Acty torch setup, or even some of those MAPP gas bottles from Home Depot?

If you just need a structure to attach soft bags to that will prevent them from slapping into the rear wheel, you can probably work something up out of 3/8" round stock in a couple hours.

(at least, that's what I did, but I'm uber-DIY)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Morphix posted:

Cheap and good for cities

I can't understand why anyone would go for a scooter when the Ninja 250 is an option. I mean, unless you super-srsly can't use a manual transmission, but in that case I kinda wonder if you should be on two wheels in the first place.