Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Also the 1000cc doesn't have an ABS option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Radbot posted:

Is there any reason I should consider a 1000cc V-Strom over a 650cc one? I've read that the extra power really isn't that noticeable, and that most of the difference has to do with top-end (100mph+). Wouldn't the insurance also be quite a bit more on a 1000cc?

Like Z3n said, the 650 is probably more than enough bike. The only thing I'd add to his comment is this: if you plan to ride two up a lot, how big/heavy are you, and, how big/heavy is your passenger?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Z3n posted:

Are you pushing it around in gear and off with the clutch pulled in? Because you get a lot of drag on the clutch even then because it's a multiplate wet clutch.

Is it "walking" when you've got it running and in gear with the clutch in, or just hard shifting?

When I push it in gear with clutch pulled in, the bike has a ridiculous amount of resistance and you can not move it faster than a baby's crawl - there's no way you could bump start it, even downhill, for example.

When I push it with the clutch out in neutral, it feels just like any other bike I've walked in neutral - no real resistance.

I did not notice any movement with the bike if the clutch was pulled in and it was in gear and running. I rode the bike for about 10 minutes and it felt really sluggish, as well. It hesitated a lot, which I'm guessing is due to slightly dirty carbs/jets, but even when I gunned it in 2nd it never really felt like the bike got in its power band. My 1982 CM250C, by comparison, felt much faster.

Also, the clutch catches really late. I have to almost completely let the clutch out from a stop before I can get the bike moving, and I have to let it slip a bit even then.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 7, 2009

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Also, the clutch catches really late. I have to almost completely let the clutch out from a stop before I can get the bike moving, and I have to let it slip a bit even then.

Sounds like it might be the cable then. Take the clutch handle apart, grab the cable with vice grips and pull it as far as you can. See if it rolls easier like that.

Lancek
May 31, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Noob question here: Today is the first real day of rain and heavy winds and it's coming down pretty hard. Is this going to be hazardous to my Ninja 250 if I leave it parked in the driveway sans cover? Parking in the garage would be unfeasible for reasons I won't get into and there isn't much cover except for the rear patio.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Cablekid posted:

Noob question here: Today is the first real day of rain and heavy winds and it's coming down pretty hard. Is this going to be hazardous to my Ninja 250 if I leave it parked in the driveway sans cover? Parking in the garage would be unfeasible for reasons I won't get into and there isn't much cover except for the rear patio.

As long as it doesn't blow over, it'll be fine. You may want to put it somewhere sheltered from the winds (and not in the dirt where the sidestand will sink in).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

When I push it in gear with clutch pulled in, the bike has a ridiculous amount of resistance and you can not move it faster than a baby's crawl - there's no way you could bump start it, even downhill, for example.

When I push it with the clutch out in neutral, it feels just like any other bike I've walked in neutral - no real resistance.

I did not notice any movement with the bike if the clutch was pulled in and it was in gear and running. I rode the bike for about 10 minutes and it felt really sluggish, as well. It hesitated a lot, which I'm guessing is due to slightly dirty carbs/jets, but even when I gunned it in 2nd it never really felt like the bike got in its power band. My 1982 CM250C, by comparison, felt much faster.

The behavior with the clutch when it's cold is pretty normal. Again, multiplate wet clutch tends to have a lot of resistance.

It sounds like the bike has problems besides the shifting. It's hard to say exactly what.

If you've taken all of the slack out of the cable, the clutch will engage very late in it's travel, so that's pretty normal too, and points at it probably not being the clutch. Usually when people have problems shifting bikes, it's because they're pulling in the clutch lever but it's not actually disengaging the clutch plates. Then you are essentially shifting clutchless. You've got the opposite problem, it engages almost immediately. That means shifting shouldn't be problematic.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm going to change my own spark plugs for the first time when I get round to it, is there anything I need to be careful of? Do they need to done up particularly tight?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

is there anything I need to be careful of?

Make sure there's no sand or other grap around the plug which can fall into the cylinder when you take out the plug. I usually give mine a decent blast of compressed air before removing plugs but it has an annoying habit of picking up small bits of stone just on the lip near the plug. So I lift the plug out real carefully and use a screwdriver with a dab of grease at the end to pick out the grime.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Do they need to done up particularly tight?

No, it's quite easy to ruin those threads and you will cry blood if you do. I think the rule of thumb is finger tight, then 1/4 turn. But do some googling to see what is said about your bike specifically.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I'm going to change my own spark plugs for the first time when I get round to it, is there anything I need to be careful of? Do they need to done up particularly tight?

What you do is you thread them in by hand as to not cross thread them. Then once you feel them bottom you take them down an additional 1/4th to 2/3rds turn, to crush the crush washer. The exact amount will be printed on the side of the spark plug box. I usually err on the looser side.

Obviously, you don't do that if you're reusing plugs. They should be snug but not torqued down super hard. You don't want to strip out the heads, after all.

Also, you may need to use a standard deepset socket to get down to the plugs on a modern I4. They're really recessed into the head due to the dohc config of modern bikes. I can't get a spark plug wrench into most of them, so I just use a standard 17?mm socket and then a magnet to get the plug out. Depending on the design of the bike, you'll also probably have to drop the socket down the hole and then attach the short extension and then attach the rachet.

Ola's advice about dirt is good, I didn't even think of that.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What's the difference between a spark plug wrench and a normal socket? I'm pretty sure I've got a 17mm socket (might have to get a 1/4inch extension though, only have an extension for my awesome dinky $15 3/8 socket set), but don't think I've got a spark plug one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

What's the difference between a spark plug wrench and a normal socket? I'm pretty sure I've got a 17mm socket (might have to get a 1/4inch extension though, only have an extension for my awesome dinky $15 3/8 socket set), but don't think I've got a spark plug one.

It's got a rubber plug in it that's supposed to capture the end of the plug to help pull it out. Nothing special. It is usually a fair bit wider to fit that rubber piece though, and it's also a deepset socket. Any deepset will work. I'm not sure what size it needs to be, 17 is just what i thought it was for my bike (NGK plugs) off the top of my head.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hmmm, might have to venture to the hardware store after buying plugs.

Or venture into the untamed retard wilderness of Gixxer.com.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
I can't get the plug out of my KLR without a plug wrench. My socket isn't long enough to make it all the way down on the plug to be able to turn it. I just have a 3/8" drive socket set though.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Pretty sure most MC plugs are 18mm. All of the ones in my bikes have been.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

If you can get one in the right size, I really like these:

You should be able to get at just about any plug, and they have a much better feel for tightening the plugs than a normal socket wrench does. Also they're like $5.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BlueBayou posted:

Took bike into garage... left blinker totally worked. i was pleasantly surprised. lubed my chain and parked him back outside. That night I went for a ride to the gym... left blinker didnt work

sometimes i really love how quirky my bike is. Sometimes I just don't get it.
If I didn't know you had a Ninjette, I'd swear it was some classic British thing featuring nothing but Lucas electicals.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
sounds like it's time to find the bad wiring the PO did when they cafed(?) that bike.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

She probably just needs to add more smoke to the wiring.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I have a pretty big hole in my exhaust that came about from my chain slicing into it (long story). I've fixed the issue causing the hole so now I want to get the pipe fixed.

I know nothing of welding, or fixing exhausts. The section of pipe thats cut is titanium and a new one would run like $400+ (obscure brand). Would you guys recommend I take it to a welder, or a pipe shop or something and see if they can patch it up?

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
Yeah, that would be my first stop, get a few prices. Why replace when you can repair? They also make exhaust tape that you just wrap around it then ride it, and it seals up. It's only a temporary fix, though.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Chairon posted:

Yeah, that would be my first stop, get a few prices. Why replace when you can repair? They also make exhaust tape that you just wrap around it then ride it, and it seals up. It's only a temporary fix, though.

Is this different than header wrap? Details?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Chairon posted:

Yes, I too want more details. I have two pin sized holes and really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for new pipes.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I used this that I saw at Kragens. All you do is unroll it, wrap it nice and tight around the hole, then once the exhaust pipe heats up I guess it seals somehow. I've had mine on there for a few months now and it's still on.

Of course I only put 50 miles on it but hey :v:

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

I've got a 2004 GS500 I noticed this morning when filling up and attempting to reset the trip distance gauge on the odometer that the little dial thingy has either broken off or unscrewed itself (see attached picture) is this something that can be fixed easily or am I going to have to hunt around for a while to find something that would fix it (short of replacing the whole gauge cluster).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007

Aargh posted:

I've got a 2004 GS500 I noticed this morning when filling up and attempting to reset the trip distance gauge on the odometer that the little dial thingy has either broken off or unscrewed itself (see attached picture) is this something that can be fixed easily or am I going to have to hunt around for a while to find something that would fix it (short of replacing the whole gauge cluster).

Checked on my '91, it's just a little screw and a knob. Bikebandit has a schematic up for your year though, You want numbers 2 and 3. I guess it would be kind of a bitch if the screw snapped off, but I doubt it unless you've dropped it. Should just be a five minutes job.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Chairon posted:

Checked on my '91, it's just a little screw and a knob. Bikebandit has a schematic up for your year though, You want numbers 2 and 3. I guess it would be kind of a bitch if the screw snapped off, but I doubt it unless you've dropped it. Should just be a five minutes job.

Yeah I haven't dropped it at all and from looking in it seemed as though there was a threaded (female) brass part in there which I assume is what it screws into.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
I posted this in another thread, but looking at this bike more and more I am starting to love it. :fap:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/1491391358.html

Does the ZX-10R have any known reliability problems? How does it rate in tooting around town and doing highway work? Any ideas on gas mileage? Looking for something a bit faster than the SV but still usable on the highway. Most of the roads around here can see 100-130 safely with the looooong smooth roads and light traffic with entrances only every 2-3 miles. The SV starts to fall flat at 90-100. I also want something that has more power when ~50lbs of gear is added to the back.

For shits and giggles I did an insurance check and it is actually not that bad to insure. Much cheaper than most of the 600s and 1000s I was looking at.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
Ok so I know this is a long shot but... Should I sell my BMW F650 once I get my new to me R100GSPD or will there be enough of a difference for me to warrant keeping both bikes? I'm kind of leaning towards selling the F650, but I'm not sure the R100 will give me as much of a sporty ride.

Background info: I live on an island with a mere 100 miles of roads, only 75 of which are paved. Those sections that are paved though are worthy of a WRC stage and I feel I have just scratched the surface of what is possible on them. Is there a cheap bike out there that I could get to scratch my twisty/cornering itch while still allowing me to use my new GS to its full potential or should I wait and see how the GS fills this role?

Edit: here are some typical stretches of road here.
First one is part of the longer stretch, second one is a video I took from my crash bar mounted video camera on the F650.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqrIRWQtM5s
http://www.youtube.com/user/N183CS#p/a/u/1/1o6Y6cEZ8Sc

N183CS fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 14, 2009

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I think you should see how your GS does. If it doesn't satisfy you then spend winter putting hop-up parts on it and adjusting the suspension until it feels sufficiently sporty. Look here for inspiration: http://www.hpn.de/english/motorraeder.html

Frankly, any standard 650 single is going to be far from sporty and I don't think you'll miss it after you start riding the GS. Sure, it'll be heavier, but work on your turn-in skills and the extra power will reward.

If the GS isn't enough, find a bike with a superior power to weight, or insanity to weight ratio. The F650 ain't it, and it's not going to be cheap either. May as well put the money in the GS I think.

Also consider asking the GSpot collective at advrider.com.

If you're bored in winter, contemplate the following: http://www.bmwmoa.org/images/gallery/Hubert_7.jpg

Studs + sidecar = good times.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 15, 2009

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

MotoMind posted:

Frankly, any standard 650 single is going to be far from sporty

Exhibit K http://www.ktm690duke.com/

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

N183CS posted:

Is there a cheap bike out there that I could get to scratch my twisty/cornering itch

Ninja 250

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Zool posted:

Exhibit K http://www.ktm690duke.com/

"Standard" was shorthand for "antiquated 80s technology" 650 single. KTMs and such are naturally quite inspiring.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Sell the F650, if your not satisfied with the sportiness of the GS, you probably will be at least for a while.... I bet there are some plated dirt bikes for sale on that island; get one, and a set of 17" wheels to mount sticky street tires on.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I have a sort of related question. When you have two sets of rims for offroad/street tires, do you swap over the brake discs? Having two sets of disks seems expensive and perhaps the pads would need rebedding every time you swapped.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Ola posted:

I have a sort of related question. When you have two sets of rims for offroad/street tires, do you swap over the brake discs? Having two sets of disks seems expensive and perhaps the pads would need rebedding every time you swapped.

If you have the money you can upgrade to street disc and hub...at risk of dinging your 97987^50mm front disc off-road.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

dietcokefiend posted:

I posted this in another thread, but looking at this bike more and more I am starting to love it. :fap:

Does the ZX-10R have any known reliability problems? How does it rate in tooting around town and doing highway work? Any ideas on gas mileage? Looking for something a bit faster than the SV but still usable on the highway. Most of the roads around here can see 100-130 safely with the looooong smooth roads and light traffic with entrances only every 2-3 miles. The SV starts to fall flat at 90-100. I also want something that has more power when ~50lbs of gear is added to the back.

For shits and giggles I did an insurance check and it is actually not that bad to insure. Much cheaper than most of the 600s and 1000s I was looking at.

My friend bought an '05 ZX-10 new and it has been perfectly reliable for 35,000 miles. He upgraded from an SV-1000 and he says the Ninja is a shitload faster.

If you're planning on doing 100-130 regularly, prepare to start shelling out for new tires every few months.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Tearing apart the SV right now and curious if I would be able to wash the components under the fairings without damaging anything. The last trip I went on got what appears to be sand over everything and it looks terrible. With the fairings off would it hurt the wiring, relays, or ECU if I sprayed all the stuff wet, used a brush to suds it up, and then spray it clean again?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shouldnt hurt anything, just dont use much pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dietcokefiend posted:

That model is utterly batshit insane, and yet still capable of being perfectly civil.

A Kawasaki basically.

Buy it. And piss of that high mount pipe, they always, without fail, look so drat stupid on bikes that didn't have them stock.