Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brimstone Inquiry
Jan 21, 2007

Heh, the Javelin glitch reminds me of the Jihad tactic from MW1 (martyrdom/2xFrag/whatever makes bigger explosions, all while holding a stun grenade and running around like an idiot).

The setup is different in MW2, but I wonder if the same tactic will work. Martyrdom is a deathstreak now, but if you keep dying and only get your kills after you die and stun somebody with your dropped stun grenade, then the Martyrdom perk may stay on you, and you can keep up the griefing sans ban risk. Though there will be no knifing (you're holding the stun grenade).

For perks, there's Danger Close, naturally. Scavenge, for when you run across a dead body so you can toss your held stun grenade at a probable target and immediately resupply, and I guess anything from the green perk list will do. I don't know what SitRep is for so hey.

Time to test this theory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Brimstone Inquiry posted:

Heh, the Javelin glitch reminds me of the Jihad tactic from MW1 (martyrdom/2xFrag/whatever makes bigger explosions, all while holding a stun grenade and running around like an idiot).

The setup is different in MW2, but I wonder if the same tactic will work. Martyrdom is a deathstreak now, but if you keep dying and only get your kills after you die and stun somebody with your dropped stun grenade, then the Martyrdom perk may stay on you, and you can keep up the griefing sans ban risk. Though there will be no knifing (you're holding the stun grenade).

For perks, there's Danger Close, naturally. Scavenge, for when you run across a dead body so you can toss your held stun grenade at a probable target and immediately resupply, and I guess anything from the green perk list will do. I don't know what SitRep is for so hey.

Time to test this theory!

You're overthinking this. Just use dual 1887s.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
I believe the funniest story of griefing I've ever heard of was from the old days of Ultima Online. One of the guys we were playing with lured a character into his house with the promise of helping them out as they were pretty clearly new to the game. After getting her into the house he proceeded to lock her behind some tables against a wall in the house. He spent the majority of the day loving with them until he finally placed an oven and had her baking for him. This was long before context menus to leave house so the character was pretty much hosed. She stayed trapped in his house for over a day until she figured out how to page a GM and he was banned.

My own personal griefing was probably the most memorable in this small half-life mod called Pirate's Viking and Knights(HL1, not 2). I found out that you could type +attack in console, step on a health pack (food) and type kill in console, and your immortal carcass would be able to slide around the map. It had normal hit-boxes of a living person so you could block doors with impunity.

Well this one map had this tiny, box shaped spawn that had just enough space to spawn 3 people comfortably, any more and they would be telefragged (instantly killed and replaced with a flurry of organs to anyone who didn't play half-life) well after discovering the corpse thing, the cat was out of the bag and I conspired with a friend to trap the knight team inside their spawn while one of would constantly respawn and telefrag them.

One person would spawn and press up against the blocker trying to get out, then 2 more would spawn, one would die, then 2 would respawn, the first would die and pretty soon it would snowball until everyone is frantically trying to respawn and instantly being telefragged. In about 10 seconds the room would be replaced with a literal butchers shop of intestines, skulls and blood all the while raging in chat about not being able to leave the spawn. Eventually the other teams would gather around to watch the spectacle and when 8 people are constantly being telefragged the organs were flying out of the spawn like a popcorn machine. My buddy and I crying in laughter the whole time.

Another map didn't require blocking because the mapmaker didn't give enough spots to spawn. We would both stay dead with the +attack trick to prevent respawning until someone spawned inside the boat, we would then both simultaneously respawn starting off the gib vortex. The boat would quickly turn into a vile meat wagon of body parts and people desperately trying to escape the ship of doom, killing eachother even faster in the process.

Brimstone Inquiry
Jan 21, 2007

Mr.Bond posted:

You're overthinking this. Just use dual 1887s.

Yeah. The deathstreak attribute nerfs it anyway.

At any rate, just plain old Semtex with Danger Close/Scavenger/random green perk works almost as well if it weren't for the explosion delay, but Danger Close takes care of that anyway. At the least, it works great for game types that require the enemy to be in a certain place, like Headquarters or Domination. It's the next best thing, (best being dual 1887s of course) and it's not a glitch, so they can't care bear you into stopping.

Dr Interweb
May 18, 2005

Cow Polls

Brimstone Inquiry posted:

At any rate, just plain old Semtex with Danger Close/Scavenger/random green perk works almost as well if it weren't for the explosion delay, but Danger Close takes care of that anyway. At the least, it works great for game types that require the enemy to be in a certain place, like Headquarters or Domination. It's the next best thing, (best being dual 1887s of course) and it's not a glitch, so they can't care bear you into stopping.

Add a gun with a tube and a thumper to that combo and you are in business.

Thanatos Mazus
May 30, 2007
Obscure
MW2 is absolutely effortless to grief. A few of my friends and I have GAY? as our clan tag, and this alone is enough to get some people screaming into their mics for the duration of the match.

I just got out of a match with two dudes from Kentucky who spent the entire match spewing anti-gay hate speech instead of playing the game. Upon losing, they threatened to put a "Horse Virus" on my PS3. It'll work, you know, because the PS3 has a hard drive. :confused:

This kind of thing happens every other match.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Thanatos Mazus posted:

MW2 is absolutely effortless to grief. A few of my friends and I have GAY? as our clan tag, and this alone is enough to get some people screaming into their mics for the duration of the match.

I just got out of a match with two dudes from Kentucky who spent the entire match spewing anti-gay hate speech instead of playing the game. Upon losing, they threatened to put a "Horse Virus" on my PS3. It'll work, you know, because the PS3 has a hard drive. :confused:

But the PS3 does have a hard drive :confused:

Thanatos Mazus
May 30, 2007
Obscure

Sunblood posted:

But the PS3 does have a hard drive :confused:

The guy was shouting that he was going to hack me through MW2 and put a virus on my PS3, and it would work because it has a hard drive. I don't know, it wasn't really a well thought-out threat on his part.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's a horse virus because the PS3 is as large as a horse.

lil bi azn
May 13, 2007

by Ozma
No it's a horse virus because it's held together with glue

Eyebrows Mulligan
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Everyone from Kentucky is gay.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Thanatos Mazus posted:

Mega64?

Eyebrows Mulligan
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl
http://www.apb.com/

I am expecting to see legions of 400 lbs. cops running around in leopard print briefs, covered head to toe in obscene tattoos and slaughtering innocent civilians the day after release.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
I've already played APB. It's pretty fun, especially the part where you have to beat a confession out of a suspect before your Chief can make it to the interrogation room.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Lonjon posted:

I've already played APB. It's pretty fun, especially the part where you have to beat a confession out of a suspect before your Chief can make it to the interrogation room.

That brings back a lot of memories, that swallowed almost as much of my money as Tehkan's 'World Cup'

Epicurus
Jan 18, 2008
I hope I can change my title later on...
Not so much a video game grief as a bit of a real life grief, but recently I walked by some vacant classroom at my university and saw a bunch of nasty obese nerds playing some sort of CCG. They seemed to be having a pretty good time of it, arguing about magic effects or pokemon or whatever bullshit. I just wandered up next to the table they were playing on, pretending to be a TA or something for a class that was going to start soon, writing poo poo on the blackboard. Then I deliberately crouched down as if to write something on the blackboard in such a way that my backpack ended up on top of half the cards on the table - then turned sideways and scraped their whole game onto the floor. They all looked at me like "WTF?" and I just said "Whoops!" and walked out before they could say anything to me.

On the board, I had written: "Get a life fags"

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Epicurus posted:

Not so much a video game grief as a bit of a real life grief, but recently I walked by some vacant classroom at my university and saw a bunch of nasty obese nerds playing some sort of CCG. They seemed to be having a pretty good time of it, arguing about magic effects or pokemon or whatever bullshit. I just wandered up next to the table they were playing on, pretending to be a TA or something for a class that was going to start soon, writing poo poo on the blackboard. Then I deliberately crouched down as if to write something on the blackboard in such a way that my backpack ended up on top of half the cards on the table - then turned sideways and scraped their whole game onto the floor. They all looked at me like "WTF?" and I just said "Whoops!" and walked out before they could say anything to me.

Not only did you not do this, you have the brain of a middle school bully. Congrats on the epic grief brohiem :cool:.

Smokey
Feb 8, 2008
empty

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 19, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wish I could be cool like Epicurus.

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

Epicurus posted:

Not only would I call that a wonderful grief, but you also grieved everyone in this thread.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wait, so you told them to get a life when you have a something awful account, play video games enough to know what griefing is, and have found the griefing thread on SA to post about how you told them to get a life?

I'm not sure I follow your logic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

warsow posted:

Not only would I call that a wonderful grief, but you also grieved everyone in this thread.

What's it like to be entirely wrong?

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

Endorph posted:

Wait, so you told them to get a life when you have a something awful account, play video games enough to know what griefing is, and have found the griefing thread on SA to post about how you told them to get a life?

I'm not sure I follow your logic.

He himself has no life, therefore he understands what it is to have no life.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Syntax! posted:

He himself has no life, therefore he understands what it is to have no life.
Woah. Sorry, I have to go wash my magic cards because my mind just blew all over them.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

What's it like to be entirely wrong?

He's griefing the thread because the next page will be full of people telling him how what he did isn't griefing, crowding out any actual content.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Epicurus posted:

haw haw you sure showed them :supaburn:

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Thanatos Mazus posted:

That makes me want to play that game under that tag just to grief people like them

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Epicurus posted:

HEY THAT'S NOT FUNNY! :qq:

You have apparently griefed them twice.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

yaoi prophet posted:

He's griefing the thread because the next page will be full of people telling him how what he did isn't griefing, crowding out any actual content.
So either he's a poo poo eating :smug: "Get a life fags have any of you even seen a girl naked" highschool dipshit or some poo poo eating :haw: "PROVOKING ANY KIND OF REACTION COUNTS AS SUPERB GRIEFING" 4chan exile.
Acting like a retard and then getting called on it is not, in fact, a genius burn on the people calling you on it.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Epicurus posted:

This is awesome. Congratulations.

Nuke Goes KABOOM
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Vib Rib posted:

So either he's a poo poo eating :smug: "Get a life fags have any of you even seen a girl naked" highschool dipshit or some poo poo eating

If you play card games that involve poo poo beyond jacks, aces, kings, and queens you've never seen a vagina.

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Epicurus posted:

The classic one-two punch of grief. Brother goons take note - this man is more Goon than you will ever be.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Thanatos Mazus posted:

yeah this is kind of why I could never get into Call of Duty, it was sort of like being in gym class in high school all over again.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Thanatos Mazus posted:

This almost never happens to me and I'm constantly changing my nick to the most profane, attention-getting stuff I could think of. Maybe PC players just aren't as easily whipped into a homophobic rage.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I love when the Griefing Police show up. Then the REAL griefing begins.

Dear Mom. Greg Died
Mar 5, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Epicurus posted:

lol

Lord Julius III
Jan 1, 2007

A gentleman amongst savages
I occasionally play some Company of heroes online, but one thing that really annoys me is the attitude of basically all of the players in 2v2 automatch. Anything you do is likely to lead to them becoming exasperated by your capping order and other stupid irrelevant poo poo. One guy the other day told me to stop wasting units. We were about 20 minutes into the game and doing fairly well, but there was a huge messy crossfire in the middle of the map that the german team had clearly won. So I assembled all of my troops nearby to the fight and began to use the 'attack here' map indicator to suggest that he watch what I was about to do over and over again. I then proceeded to march them all into enemy machine gun fire in front of him. Between that and grenading his cloaked snipers to death he quit.

Also, sometimes I start a 3v3 game as the germans with a friend on my side with the only intention being to rush our pioneers over to the third player's base and make a sandbag prison around his hq and any buildings he makes.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

So either he's a poo poo eating :smug: "Get a life fags have any of you even seen a girl naked" highschool dipshit or some poo poo eating :haw: "PROVOKING ANY KIND OF REACTION COUNTS AS SUPERB GRIEFING" 4chan exile.
Acting like a retard and then getting called on it is not, in fact, a genius burn on the people calling you on it.

A group of people were playing a game. He interrupts their game, preventing them from playing normally and enjoying for a short time. He insults them in the process, because they take it too seriously and are losers.

Welcome to the griefing thread. :cheers:

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
Some guy had a sandwich, so I ate it.

That's right, I griefed lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

2074491022871990000 posted:

Oh man, that was and still is one of my favorite things to ever come from SA.

yeah. one of the few things I start cracking up out loud over.

• Locked thread