Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Shumagorath posted:

I'm hoping Valve never reveals the secret weapon for the losing side

It sounds to me like the seventh weapon is already designed, but whether it goes to the soldier or the demoman is to be decided by the "war".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

m2pt5 posted:

It sounds to me like the seventh weapon is already designed, but whether it goes to the soldier or the demoman is to be decided by the "war".

Congratulations Demomen! Here is your new rocket launcher.

Although I suppose it could be a super nifty pistol or something equally disappointing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Lost Levels posted:

My friends and I used to play Goldeneye all the time in some seriously fun all-night gaming sessions. It was my gimmick to go and hide and wait everyone else out, letting them kill each other until they had no lives left, then pop out and own the survivors. :twisted:

This got even more fun when I learned you could hide inside the walls on the map titled "facility" before my friends did :v:

Why didn't they just look at your screen?

lil bi azn
May 13, 2007

by Ozma

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Although I suppose it could be a super nifty pistol or something equally disappointing.

Another shotgun would make me chortle heartily "No this is Saxton Hale's special shotgun!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just give the winners Gabe's item that bans whoever it kills.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Cojawfee posted:

Just give the winners Gabe's item that bans whoever it kills.

Is this a real thing? Because it just might be the best thing ever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's an item in his TF2 inventory that says "THIS ITEM ISN'T REAL" at the end. I'm guessing they just have fun and put all kinds of weird items in his inventory from time to time since he just plays WoW all the time.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

GetWellGamers posted:

Is this a real thing? Because it just might be the best thing ever.

http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561197960287930

Chade Johnson
Oct 12, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Themselves posted:

Certain magic cards cost about $50 per card, even in standard tournaments. Lucky they were skinny nerds because I probably would have socked you in the face holmes.

Who says "socked"? Are you serious?

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Hipster Scumbag posted:

Like this. For some reason, sociopathy is commendable and Goony - saying "your poison womb is making heaven too crowded" to the mother of a stillborn, for example - but you color one whit outside the lines and everyone gets all uptight.

I think the difference is that Goons could easily have been the victim of the CCG grief but are unlikely to experience a stillbirth :ssh:

Sanctum posted:

I don't know if that's a good story

It most certainly is, good job. Any more?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before. I've got a few stories.

City of Heroes
I only played this for a very short while. The pvp system is kind of dumb, and after having played WoW and gotten used to that style of fighting, CoH was a drastic change of pace. I made a Kinetics Defender, who have this nifty ability to repel their enemies comically away. So I felt it was appropriate to help the poor noobies out by having this "get away from me" aura on and run into a group of mobs that someone was fighting only to have the mobs almost explode away from the player trying to kill them. If they were fighting against a wall, I'd trap the mobs against the wall with the aura causing them to spaz out dramatically.

And of course, you had to do the typical teleport someone to the top of the map and have them fall to their death. I haven't logged onto my account in years. Last time I did I still had the original Drek mission. Instead of the timed one that they implemented.

Halo 3
This game was great when I played it. Looking back, I don't know why I decided to play this as compared to CoD4. My friend "Spaz" and I routinely played and for the sole reason to grief other people. I think the more memorable was we played "HALP!" which consisted of us going into Big Team Battle and tagging our teammates slightly while they were getting shot at to knock their shields down so that they would die faster. Eventually people would get made enough at us that they would kill us. Bungie made a great system trying to prevent TK's enabling you to boot the person that killed you. So, Spaz and I would work on kicking everyone off the map except for us. We would then do choreographed ATV (I forget what the little 4 wheelers are called) dances in the center of the map until the other team killed us enough for them to win.

Another thing that was kind of fun was Spaz would get on the Banshee (or whatever the flying one is called) and I would jump on it's wing with a sniper rifle and rockets in tow. If you are really careful, you can fly around the top of the map while someone is standing on the top/wing of the plane and shoot players down at the bottom of the map.

If we got really bored we would try to get on different teams and share a vehicle together running over anyone in our way. If we were on a big map, we would have elephant races.

The Lost Levels
Dec 11, 2009

The one warp pipe they didn't tell you about.

Cojawfee posted:

If you found the right place, you could not be found and just stare at a wall so they couldn't figure out where you were :v:

Also, when I hid in the map called "Facility," they couldn't find me anyway, since they didn't know about the ultra-secret places where you could literally walk through walls. To this day, I have only found a few people that still know about them.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

The Lost Levels posted:

If you found the right place, you could not be found and just stare at a wall so they couldn't figure out where you were :v:

Also, when I hid in the map called "Facility," they couldn't find me anyway, since they didn't know about the ultra-secret places where you could literally walk through walls. To this day, I have only found a few people that still know about them.

I only knew about the walls in Complex. Where are the spots in Facility?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Pope Guilty posted:

I only knew about the walls in Complex. Where are the spots in Facility?

He could possibly mean the airducts?
There was a odd combination of ducking that allowed you to get back up them if you didn't spawn there.

Resulting in having to somehow draw them out with explosives or get up there and hunt them down.

The other dick move was playing capture the flag in archives.

The doors swing outwards to the player and can be blocked by other players.

Down in the basement there was a room where there was only one entrance in or out making it quite possible to just hold the flag and then crouch against the door making it impossible for anyone to get in and requiring explosives or a gun that could shoot through walls to get you.

Or choosing the Siberian snowsuit skin (a grey full body thing) and playing Bunker, running outside to the helipad then standing facing the trees.

It was a rather effective disguise.

Or people could kill themselves in hopes they spawn there.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

WebDog posted:

Or choosing the Siberian snowsuit skin (a grey full body thing) and playing Bunker, running outside to the helipad then standing facing the trees.

It was a rather effective disguise.
At 1/4th of a 480i screen it probably doesn't take much.

Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW

Cojawfee posted:

Thats a surefire way to get your rear end beat. :colbert: No looking at others screen blood oath

Uncle Fumbles
Jan 22, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

WebDog posted:

n64 goldeneye

I think it was facility where if you were quick and lucky enough to find proximity mines early you could proximity mine every single spawn point on the level and because it was split screen you could see where the other guys were dying and go back there to replenish the mines.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Soulex posted:

City of Heroes

And of course, you had to do the typical teleport someone to the top of the map and have them fall to their death.

Just wanted to point out that falling has never actually killed someone in City of Heroes, it only drops them to 1 HP. In order to die they'd have to land close to a mob and have that kill them. :v:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Catsworth posted:

Just wanted to point out that falling has never actually killed someone in City of Heroes, it only drops them to 1 HP. In order to die they'd have to land close to a mob and have that kill them. :v:

I'm not gonna let them fall onto safe ground. What would be the point of doing it at all if they survived? ;)

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

I'm a bit late, but I'm really surprised no one said this. Disrupting Chess and card games isn't griefing because you aren't playing the game, moron. Thats the point, when griefing in TF2 you are actually playing TF2 and using things that exist inside TF2, not unplugging someones computer when you walk by or swatting the controller out of their hands.

WoW

The best thing I've done is 'steal' guilds in WoW. The original was a guild by the name of Tren de Dolor that existed on my old server 2 years ago. The guildmaster was some kind of overserious shithead that I used to be in a guild with before they made Tren. Long story short, they defeated Illidan, the best thing you could do at the time, and they run all kinds of easier previous raids for fun. In the process of loving around they all wipe on an older fight. From what I heard he completely lost it over voice chat, an officer complained behind his back and he found out, kicked the guy out of the guild, main tank quit, people got pissed and left, top guild on Horde side dissolved overnight.

Funny thing about WoW is, an uppercase 'i' looks exactly like a lower case 'L'. Queue the formation of Tren de DoIor. Me, friends, and random people that got the joke remade his character at level one with character codes to replace letters in his name, and I remade the tabard and we ran around the major cities bragging and poo poo talking to everyone we could find. We are the best guild on horde side! We downed Illidan! Bet you wish you were in our guild! People went nuts, sent us hate messages for stealing the guild, stealing the character, thinking we were the real guy and bragging, spamming trade chat, or just plain hated the guild.

Recently we tried the same thing when a guild left our current server, top guild Farm Status left and I made Farn Status. The guild leader was a tank, so we remade his character and found ways to outfit level 1s in full sets of gear with shields and everything to run around with. Pretty much the same effect, not quite as good as the first though.

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE
How do they send you messages if your character names are slightly different from what they type in?

Slow and Serious
Mar 20, 2007

It runs ok.
If you click on someone's name in the chatbox, it'll automatically open a whisper box to them.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

In wow you dont need to type, you can just left click their name in the chat window. And I invited all my friends characters to the guild by shift clicking their names into the guild invite window. Right clicking a name brings up a menu with options like 'invite to group' or 'put on ignore.' We were all talking with headsets over ventrillo, it was mostly people I know in real life, hell if I'm gonna figure out if the guy with the funny 'e' is whichever friend.

The best thing about this, is that many people didn't notice the differences and would put one of us on ignore and get furious when it didn't seem to work. We couldn't get reported for spam because individually none of us spammed anything, it was only spam if you thought it was all one guy and not eight bored people.

Edit: Oh, we also got a couple starstruck people with no common sense to quit their guilds and join ours for a shot at raiding with the top guild. Of course, several of us are standing right next to one of the victims obviously not the guild leader, not level 70, and not an individual person and he joined anyway. We fully promoted that guy all the way up and down the guild ranks, which were named after the guild leader, and logged out into other characters leaving him all alone.

FuzzyPickles fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 13, 2009

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

One of the things I enjoyed doing in WoW was play simon says with lowbies instead of out right ganking them. I would emote a command and then point to them. If they didn't copy it I would kill them. Camp them until they rezed, stopped them, and then tried again. Some people would eventually figure it out and play along. And I would leave them alone. You see, I play on a real server, I never understood why people love PvE servers so much.

I have always been a large partaker in world pvp. Back in Vanilla, I was one of the top geared DW Fury warriors on my server (I think only one person out geared me alliance side, and he had a TF). Unlike most of my guild, I played to have fun. This involved me getting shitfaced during raids and the like. Like most guilds the leader was a douche, so me and a few other select friends would play a drinking game. The rules were simple. If the Guild Leader calls out your name in vent for doing something stupid, the rest of the group had to drink.

Back when BWL was the make or break raid instance (which we had on farm) I effectively caused this man enough pain and suffering to leave the game. I Dps'd regularly in mock costumes (like the scarlet crusade set that you get from SM, that had the axe and a macro to scream 'BLADES OF LIGHT' like Herod). Would pull random trash mobs into the group while the leader was afk or explaining a fight. I was constantly telling 'inappropriate' stories and interrupting him to do so when he talked in vent. The drinking buds and I also would randomly quack "Wah!" when he complained or did anything remotely like whining over vent. But the creme de la creme went to a mage in the guild (who was his roommate). We offered him 300 Gold (Vanilla Gold) to slap him in the face over vent. So, he giggled, and we heard "Hey Justin!" *WHAP!* "That was for CANADA!"

Needless to say he got paid his dues. As for the guild leader, he left vent one day aft TBC dropped saying "I'm going to make a sandwich and think about my life." The next time I saw him on was around 6 months later.

I had the best time griefing in CS 1.6 though. I'll post some stories up here soon.

TL;DR - Guild Leader was a douche and got slapped over vent, and later said that he need to think about his life over a sandwich and quit wow.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.
Space Station 13. Again

In this game there was a traitor. A traitor who wasn't doing anything at all, which is incredibly boring. So us admins decided to fill the hallways with searing horrible hellfire by deactivating every single fire alarm on the station, which would normally stop the fire by closing doors

But, with the alarms deactivated, the fires spread through the entire station, murdering just about everyone and accomplishing more in a minute than the traitor did in his entire game. All he had done so far was make some bombs and set them to the default frequency, which is a very, very bad idea, as if anyone signaled on this frequency, they'd explode. And they were in his backpack, so he'd go down with them too

So while we bothered ourselves with using admin powers to dismantle walls to kill the AI and other things, the traitor and the one other survivor managed to just make their way to the escape shuttle hallway, where they waited for the shuttle

Unfortunately, just before the shuttle arrived, wormholes started opening up. So the traitor, possibly by my request, shoved the other survivor into a wormhole, assuming that he'd end up in the horrible hellfire still consuming half of the station, or at least not manage to get back. So we giggle, but then... The traitor suddenly explodes into a pile of gibs

Turns out the other survivor had not only somehow managed to end up somewhere where the fire had burnt itself out, but he also had found a signaler tuned to JUST the right frequency to blow up the bomb the traitor still had, and kill him less than a minute before he would have won, after he had survived all of the admin powered poo poo we had thrown at him. He was not impressed

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I'd just remembered the ammo box trick for Goldeneye.

You could place a mine on a box of ammo (and possibly gun or armour) then collect it resulting in the mine becoming invisible and still very active when someone went to collect ammo.

This worked the best for proxy mines, with remotes still working but requiring alot more timing but the result being far more fiendish.

Mines also had roughly the same dimensions as bullet holes and on a lovely 4:3 TV as we all had back then they were pretty similar at a passing glance.

The Klobb was the best fun as it pretty much gummed you to death.
What made it particularly nasty was that it's rate of fire was roughly the duration of the "you got hit" animation that prevented you from firing.

So this little grey sausage became the best weapon to down people armed with a golden gun as the combination of suppressive fire + the GG's horrid reload speed made it nearly impossible to aim.

Plus the firing speed matched the throwback people got when hit so you were able to neatly track someone and not burn through your clip like other guns.

Plus damaging body armour made it give you less when collected.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 13, 2009

Hydrogen Oxide
Jan 16, 2006
H2Woah

Mecheon posted:

Space Station 13. Again

In this game there was a traitor. A traitor who wasn't doing anything at all, which is incredibly boring. So us admins decided to fill the hallways with searing horrible hellfire by deactivating every single fire alarm on the station, which would normally stop the fire by closing doors

But, with the alarms deactivated, the fires spread through the entire station, murdering just about everyone and accomplishing more in a minute than the traitor did in his entire game. All he had done so far was make some bombs and set them to the default frequency, which is a very, very bad idea, as if anyone signaled on this frequency, they'd explode. And they were in his backpack, so he'd go down with them too

So while we bothered ourselves with using admin powers to dismantle walls to kill the AI and other things, the traitor and the one other survivor managed to just make their way to the escape shuttle hallway, where they waited for the shuttle

Unfortunately, just before the shuttle arrived, wormholes started opening up. So the traitor, possibly by my request, shoved the other survivor into a wormhole, assuming that he'd end up in the horrible hellfire still consuming half of the station, or at least not manage to get back. So we giggle, but then... The traitor suddenly explodes into a pile of gibs

Turns out the other survivor had not only somehow managed to end up somewhere where the fire had burnt itself out, but he also had found a signaler tuned to JUST the right frequency to blow up the bomb the traitor still had, and kill him less than a minute before he would have won, after he had survived all of the admin powered poo poo we had thrown at him. He was not impressed

I was the survivor in that story. I was waiting with the traitor for the escape shuttle in between the panes of glass at the escape exits, and I nearly fell into a black hole because there were no lights and I could only see one tile. I go over to the other guy and say, "Oh wow I almost fell into a black hole!" and then the rear end pushes me right back into it. I landed in some fire but ran into another black hole and ended up in genetics or something, but had lost all my clothes in the fire. The escape shuttle was about a minute out so I figured I would entertain myself until the round ended. I pulled a signaller out of a closet and started clicking through some random frequencies for the hell of it, but the bomb was on the default frequency so it was the very first one I hit.
I was instantly flooded with admin messages telling me "oh god you just blew up the traitor!" and "now try to escape!" so I hopped in a random worm hole but died in a fire in some random hallway. George Melons used his admin powers to revive me on the escape shuttle, but some other evil admins flooded the escape shuttle with fire. I can't remember if I lived to see centcom or not.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Left 4 Dead 2: Ultra-solipsism

Play normally until your team is in deep poo poo. For me, three of us were left alive and one guy got smoked and the other pounced. Immediately start questioning how you can know the zombies and indeed the other players are even real, and the nature of external knowledge. Argue that the infected are just figments of your imagination and that you cannot save something from something else when neither can be known to exist with certainty.

I managed to bang out "This hunter isn't even real, let alone on me!" before I was kicked.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

TL;DR - Guild Leader was a douche and got slapped over vent, and later said that he need to think about his life over a sandwich and quit wow.

If anything this dude came out of it on top (he stopped playing World of Warcraft (unlike you)).

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

If anything this dude came out of it on top (he stopped playing World of Warcraft (unlike you)).

Seriously, why do people even post WoW stories?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
DAAAAAAAYAMN. You WoW players just got GRIEFED, son.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
They say the best form of griefing is living a successful life.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't think anyone says that.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I say that.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Well I've never heard it before...

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

I don't play anymore.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Soulex posted:

I don't play anymore.

didn't you just sign up for a raid on saturday?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Soulex posted:

I don't play anymore.

If you're going to do something pathetic and sad, the least you can do is be proud of it :colbert:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
It's a shame, they should've goldmined this thread back before someone decided they had to throw poop at it.

Not like we can just have someone make a new griefing thread OP, they'd need to quote the first 40 pages of this thread. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

coyo7e posted:

It's a shame, they should've goldmined this thread back before someone decided they had to throw poop at it.

Not like we can just have someone make a new griefing thread OP, they'd need to quote the first 40 pages of this thread. :(

There's still time for you to never post in it again.

• Locked thread