Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah you people who play WoW five hours a day are such losers, now lemme post this story about how I grief second life for five hours a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

MotU posted:

didn't you just sign up for a raid on saturday?
That was a few weeks ago when I had time to play.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
I'm torn. The callout was technically trolling, but the person called out was an utter doucehebag to some random idiot and hardly griefed anything.

I think I'm gonna let it go.

Eyebrows Mulligan
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Yeah sorry about being pretty late about this but Epicurus u r poo poo. The main difference between griefing on the internet and being a dick irl is that if you don't have a reasonably sized crew to back you up, if you try to do stupid poo poo people are going to think you're some kind of sociopath and kick the poo poo out of you. Otherwise if you're with friends you'll just look like a punk :colbert:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

CS Griefing Me being a complete douche bag

Corner game:My friend "Rawr" introduced me to CS, and essentially how to grief. We'd play a game wherein if you weren't a regular on our server (AwesomeCS RIP) Rawr and myself would follow you until you were in a corner of some sorts, and trap you there by running up against you. We would stay here all round asking math questions to the person trapped. One of the admins (If he was on) would rename you "Dunce."

Hostage:Some of the time I would pick T side, and change my name to "Hostage." I would then kill a hostage and stand in it's place with knife out. Most people shot me outright, but a few actually stopped, and activated me, which prompted me to follow them. I had kill bound to a key (because I played another game that used it) and when I reached the safe zone, I would kill myself to act out them securing a hostage. What's best is when 3 other people on my team played.

close but not enough:Rawr taught me this game. Essentially you would bind kill to a key or mouse button. You would then run around the map trying to get shot at. Before you actually died, you would kill yourself. You got bonus points for however closer you were to the target before dying. Pubbies really hated this one. Too many people care about their stats on a server they'll never play on again.

Sonic the Hedgehog:I had HLSS like every other rear end in a top hat in the game. What I used to do was change my name to Sonic, and start playing the in game sound files for it. So whenever I jumped, I would play the jump sound, whenever I got shot I played the lost rings sound. On the very last round of the map I tended to play the boss' theme music.
Radio Free CS:I would go into random servers with a list of songs set to play. I would then generally act out being a DJ on some radio program and play very bad songs. Not necessarily to the ear (I edited the songs so that they would play properly through CS and not with any distortion. Songs included :"It's Raining men" "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to" "Yakity Sax" "Get Down Tonight" "funky Town" and other various odd balls like "Tip Toe Through the Tulips" and "Ultimate showdown of Ultimate Destiny." I would generally play the music with a flow in introducing the songs and having my own lil wacky thing introducing me with sound effects and everything (like you would hear on the Bob and Tom show or something to that effect). I've received many a threats for bodily harm from this.

The server I played on was generally pretty fun. The admin would generally have slap wars with each other, or slap themselves into hard to reach places that you couldn't get to on your own.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

See, now that's griefing. Telling some dude to actually slap a nerd for money isn't.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Zoolooman posted:

See, now that's griefing. Telling some dude to actually slap a nerd for money isn't.

Oh god it's going to start again! :can:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Last night I played on a TF2 server with the Black Hole admin mod. They turned it off when the round started but watching everyone sink into the gate pits on Dustbowl 2.1 was hilarious.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Zoolooman posted:

I guess it was one of those "You had to be there/know the guy" stories. It was talked about for a while in the guild, even the leader had a laugh at it later. I honestly made it sound more malevolent than it actually was. I'm not that great of a story teller. heh.

Hudson
Jun 1, 2004

Beneath the surface lies the future.
I was playing Mario Bros Wii for the first time on the weekend with my Sister in law and her friend. I would get on Yoshi and swallow them up only to spit her out down an instant death hole. Also when we got this castle that went up and up I rushed ahead so fast that they would simply die when the screen caught up with them below.

TheAmbassador
Nov 21, 2005

by Ozma
The only griefing I ever did was on the original Super Mario Brothers on the NES. It would be my friends turn as luigi, and I'd pause while he was jumping over a pit. Unpause and he loses all momentum and falls to his death. Player 2 can't pause, so they can't retaliate unless they bean you with the controller. Which did happen.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Eyebrows Mulligan posted:

Yeah sorry about being pretty late about this but Epicurus u r poo poo. The main difference between griefing on the internet and being a dick irl is that if you don't have a reasonably sized crew to back you up, if you try to do stupid poo poo people are going to think you're some kind of sociopath and kick the poo poo out of you. Otherwise if you're with friends you'll just look like a punk :colbert:

The real difference is internet victims can just usually use ignore features, contact admins, or change servers, those options don't exist in real life. I can turn off some guy blasting music into my headset, I cant turn off some guy blasting music at my chess match.

That's why griefing isn't that harmful, some guy raging and screaming into his headset about someone could have changed servers or tactics and dealt with them in moments, instead of trying to attitude the other person into stopping. (Reposting one of the best videos in this thread)

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

mcvey posted:

Oh god it's going to start again! :can:

There's nothing to start. Slapping someone has nothing to do with a game. Whatever griefing might be, I imagine the game matters. :P

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

FuzzyPickles posted:

The real difference is internet victims can just usually use ignore features, contact admins, or change servers, those options don't exist in real life. I can turn off some guy blasting music into my headset, I cant turn off some guy blasting music at my chess match.

That's why griefing isn't that harmful, some guy raging and screaming into his headset about someone could have changed servers or tactics and dealt with them in moments, instead of trying to attitude the other person into stopping. (Reposting one of the best videos in this thread)

This is what I love with griefing. Somehow, people think they can get you to stop it by insulting you, being nice to you, and then being insulting again. Then they move onto physical threats. This is griefing at its finest because the one being griefed is doing the most work.

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!

Hudson posted:

I was playing Mario Bros Wii for the first time on the weekend with my Sister in law and her friend. I would get on Yoshi and swallow them up only to spit her out down an instant death hole. Also when we got this castle that went up and up I rushed ahead so fast that they would simply die when the screen caught up with them below.

This is great for the castles with a poo poo ton of lava in them, just pick up your friend and toss em. Its a good way to piss off people off when you have 76 lives and they only have 2 because you keep grabbing everything and killing them.

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

Grand Theft Auot 4 free mode has a pretty funny grief I have done a few times. If you have ever played the game online you know there are only a few locations with choppers on the map and everybody wants one. So basically what you do is go to one of the chopper locations and ask people if they want you to pick them up and fly them over to the choppers (which sometimes can be far away from where they are). Instead of flying them to the choppers you actually just fly really far out into the water almost to the map limits and then jump out killing yourself on the helicopter blades. This leaves them abandoned way out in the ocean making them have to swim back to land (about a 5-10 minute ordeal) or wait 10 minutes for the game to drown you. I wish I had a way to record the resulting rage that occurs because the reactions I have gotten from doing this are classic.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jzmisgoo posted:

This is great for the castles with a poo poo ton of lava in them, just pick up your friend and toss em. Its a good way to piss off people off when you have 76 lives and they only have 2 because you keep grabbing everything and killing them.

If anyone ever tries this on you, remember that you can shake to escape a grab or hit A to bubble. Goonspeed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can also take the nunchuck cord and strangle the other person.

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003

Jzmisgoo posted:

The new Mario Bros Wii game sounds like it'll start as many fist fights between friends and family as Monopoly.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

FuzzyPickles posted:

See I wasn't really sure before what the difference was between pissing people off playing a game in real life and griefing in a game. But that explains it perfectly to me. Now I get it.

Now back to griefing stories. Garry's mod has a fun little addon called "Rag Mod" which basically turns you into a ragdoll at a push of a button. or if you go past a certain speed. Recently garry's mod was updated so when you noclip, you can hold the run button to move faster when noclipping.

The default speed in ragmod at which you ragdoll is 1200, the speed of fast noclipping is about 2000.

Throwing a ragdoll at that speed can break just about everything in garry's mod that's breakable, and kill other players.

This is what I do when I join a server that has ragmod, and some stupid admin tool that doesn't allow you to build for the first 10 minutes on a server, or whatever other stupid stuff they do on servers when they've got more sourcemod plugin's than sense.

Edit: \/\/ Playing the Sonic Drowning countdown music in just about any game is a great concentration breaker. Got me kicked once, too. Hard Rain on the way back when everything was flooded.

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 15, 2009

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

Soulex posted:

Sonic the Hedgehog:I had HLSS like every other rear end in a top hat in the game. What I used to do was change my name to Sonic, and start playing the in game sound files for it. So whenever I jumped, I would play the jump sound, whenever I got shot I played the lost rings sound. On the very last round of the map I tended to play the boss' theme music.

This is fantastic. I've got wonderful images in my head.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

QwertySanchez posted:

Edit: \/\/ Playing the Sonic Drowning countdown music in just about any game is a great concentration breaker. Got me kicked once, too. Hard Rain on the way back when everything was flooded.

I maintain that this qualifies as some kind of psychological warfare.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
http://www.modernwarfail2.com/2009/12/16/unlimited-ammo-virus-infects-other-xbox-360-players-like-an-std/

Best Griefing ever.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't understand, how does giving someone unlimited ammo count as griefing?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Drox posted:

I don't understand, how does giving someone unlimited ammo count as griefing?

Last paragraph of the article:

quote:

Interesting detail: According to Xboxic, you actually may get banned from Xbox Live for using this unlimited ammo mod. Possibly it may be for only 24 hours but if you repeat the action again and get caught, the ban could be made permanent. LoL like you can help it you got infected by this ‘virus’.
Source: http://www.xboxic.com/news/5640

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
In my naivety I believed that was only for people "intentionally" spreading it according to whatever bullshit voodoo they determine these things with. Even so, you know that any ban would never stick after it becomes common knowledge that people have no control over it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If all you have to do is reboot your 360 to get rid of it, I don't see the big problem. Either you have to reboot every once in a while to get rid of it, or nearly everyone has it and you can't get away from it. They can't ban every single person. Most likely it will be like the Forza 3 Money glitch where they say "Oooh, we're going to ban you, so stop doing it." Then they ban five people and everyone gets off scot free.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
add to that the sheer amount of people who play mw2 "hardcore"

accidentally getting infinite ammo would be enough to set them into screaming fits.

Eyebrows Mulligan
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl

FuzzyPickles posted:

This is where I shall disagree with you, sir.

What I meant to say is that if you do this kind of thing in real life, people will stare you down and judge subtle, even unconscious changes in your body language, and if you show any sign of weakness they can easily dominate you psychologically. But this isn't that easy over the internet, hence why griefing is more effective and popular online, and the only kind of irl griefing that really works is when you've got groups of punk kids loving poo poo up, in which case numbers work as a psychological shield.

Although I guess you could say conning is a form of real life griefing, but it's something entirely different, since it's most effective when the victim has no idea what your intentions are.

And griefing is harmful, or at least effective griefing is. The more harmful it is, the more effective it is. Hence the name.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

the only kind of irl griefing that really works is when you've got groups of punk kids loving poo poo up
That's not griefing, that's just being a loving punk kid.
Goddammit what is with people nowadays that think being an rear end in a top hat is the same thing as trolling and griefing

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Goddammit what is with people nowadays that think being an rear end in a top hat is the same thing as trolling and griefing

This sentence is kinda funny.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.
You don't understand the art

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

That's not griefing, that's just being a loving punk kid.

Because kids see actual griefing videos and think "Wow that's so cool! I can do that." But they think that the funny part of griefing is the being an rear end in a top hat part, and not the being clever part.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Cojawfee posted:

Because kids see actual griefing videos and think "Wow that's so cool! I can do that." But they think that the funny part of griefing is the being an rear end in a top hat part, and not the being clever part.
I've read through the whole thread, and while some really impressive and clever ideas where amazing and inspiring it sadly gave me the impression that the majority of the people here simply understand "griefing" as euphemism for "getting any sort of reaction by being a douchebag" - and really, how can you possibly fail at that?

When you behave like a dick to people, 99% of them are going to show a (mostly negative) reaction - being proud about that is like patting yourself on the back for being good at 'gravity-ing' by "letting stuff fall on the floor".

Apparently some people are easily satisfied by setting themselves the lowest goals possible and counting any possible reaction as success. Is the whole thrill really just as shallow and trivial as "getting away with it because it's the internet" and :smug:ing hard afterwards? That can't be all, right? :confused:

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

What I meant to say is that if you do this kind of thing in real life, people will stare you down and judge subtle, even unconscious changes in your body language, and if you show any sign of weakness they can easily dominate you psychologically. But this isn't that easy over the internet, hence why griefing is more effective and popular online, and the only kind of irl griefing that really works is when you've got groups of punk kids loving poo poo up, in which case numbers work as a psychological shield.

Armchair psychology either has nothing to do with anything or has to do with everything and doesn't relate specifically.

If you are trying to say its easier to be an rear end behind a computer, then yeah, you are right, but that has nothing to do with psychologically dominating punk kids at the first sign of weakness or whatever. Psycho.

quote:

And griefing is harmful, or at least effective griefing is. The more harmful it is, the more effective it is. Hence the name.

No, it isn't, unless you are some fragile snowflake that breaks down mentally and emotionally at the drop of a hat. In which case you couldn't handle defeat, and there would be no way you would be online playing competitive games.

If it isn't in a game it isn't griefing, I'm just going to state that again. Thats what griefing is, giving people grief in games. The term was coined inside games, and is about playing games. If you are that butthurt about a game its time to find a new game.

FuzzyPickles fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 17, 2009

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rakanakle posted:

This sentence is kinda funny.
Well griefing can involve or accompany being an rear end in a top hat but simply flailing around screeching like a retard isn't the same as some witty troll or clever grief.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

"griefing" as euphemism for "getting any sort of reaction by being a douchebag"
Yeah, this is what I mean. Thank you.

Eyebrows Mulligan
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl

FuzzyPickles posted:

Armchair psychology either has nothing to do with anything or has to do with everything and doesn't relate specifically.

If you are trying to say its easier to be an rear end behind a computer, then yeah, you are right, but that has nothing to do with psychologically dominating punk kids at the first sign of weakness or whatever. Psycho.

Again, you're wrong. What this thread is basically about is bullying people over the internet. You may be doing it in a 'clever way' but essentially you're still bullying people over the internet, and so it has everything to do with domination. Forgive me if that's armchair psychology but that's the only way to put it.

FuzzyPickles posted:

No, it isn't, unless you are some fragile snowflake that breaks down mentally and emotionally at the drop of a hat. In which case you couldn't handle defeat, and there would be no way you would be online playing competitive games.

I'm sorry, I guess I'm not man enough to play your internet games. And please stop trying to tell me that griefing is somehow about being nice and harmless to people and just giving them a good chuckle, because you know and I know that's a lie.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

How about you guys make a separate thread for your philosophical musings on what does and does not constitute griefing so this thread can return to normal eh?

Eyebrows Mulligan
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl
No I don't want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Again, you're wrong. What this thread is basically about is bullying people over the internet. You may be doing it in a 'clever way' but essentially you're still bullying people over the internet
One of the big differences between bullying and griefing is that you can walk away from griefing at any time if you just stop engaging the person. Bullying is more aggressive and persistently malicious.

And for the record I find some of the funniest griefs to be the ones where the grief-ees take it in stride.

• Locked thread