Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Comedy (?) Ruckus option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Tsaven Nava posted:

I can't understand why anyone would go for a scooter when the Ninja 250 is an option. I mean, unless you super-srsly can't use a manual transmission, but in that case I kinda wonder if you should be on two wheels in the first place.

didn't really think of it, can the cheap 80s plastics be removed easily?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Yet another "is this bike noob-friendly"-type question :)

1982 Suzuki GSX400f in the same price range as previously:

http://www.dba.dk/suzuki-gsx-400-f-400-ccm/id-63338639/

Googling for "gsx400f issues" etc. shows no real trouble items, apart from having to religiously adjust the valves on-schedule, apparently. ~42hp sounds like a good starting point and I love the styling.

I have to admit, the pictures are what really get me, it looks almost completely new!

It does look clean - have you been to see it?

Check the specs also - how does the weight compare to that CB400? If it's that clean, why is it that cheap?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Saga posted:

It does look clean - have you been to see it?

Check the specs also - how does the weight compare to that CB400? If it's that clean, why is it that cheap?

Not yet, unfortunately it's ~500km from where I live, but I have a friend in the area who's agreed to look it over as soon as he has some spare time.

The price piqued my interest as well, worst case scenario is a blown transmission or similar. I absolutely won't buy it without a test drive, which is what my friend has agreed to do. I'm not renting a van and driving 500km without knowing what I'm getting myself into :)

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Riding scooters is fun as hell.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

Is there someplace to mount stuff too? And do you have access to an Oxy/Acty torch setup, or even some of those MAPP gas bottles from Home Depot?

If you just need a structure to attach soft bags to that will prevent them from slapping into the rear wheel, you can probably work something up out of 3/8" round stock in a couple hours.

(at least, that's what I did, but I'm uber-DIY)

I like DIY'ing stuff too, but no experience welding. I've got a friend who does a little, but not sure I trust his handiwork. But yeah, all I'm looking for is something to support some soft bags, I've had good experiences with those in the past. I emailed the owner and the bike would also need turn signals/doesn't have an odometer so he can't tell me mileage, so I think I'm gonna pass on this particular one.

niethan posted:

Riding scooters is fun as hell.

Hell yeah, ADV-Scootin' for life.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 13, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Morphix posted:

didn't really think of it, can the cheap 80s plastics be removed easily?

Sure, and if you do you can buy one with broken plastic as save madcash. Buy a new headlight and gauge cluster and bam:

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

talking_head posted:

Hey guys, what do you think about this bike? http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/mcy/1500823130.html

It's a 1981 Yamaha R500 with 28,000 miles. It's a kickstart :)

You haven't bought it yet?

There is a lot to be said for the joy of riding a simple, unpretentious motorcycle. A motorcycle that lets you experience the naked joy of riding without the baggage of baggage, chicken strips, stunting, or posing. A bike you ride for yourself, not the approval or conspicuous consumption of those around you. I have an old Honda CM400 I keep around pretty much for that exact purpose. Some days you just need a simple ride.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

blugu64 posted:

Sure, and if you do you can buy one with broken plastic as save madcash. Buy a new headlight and gauge cluster and bam:

that's a pretty clean looking bike, very nice. How much were the saddlebags?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Morphix posted:

that's a pretty clean looking bike, very nice. How much were the saddlebags?

Those are Nelson Rigg bags by the looks of it. http://www.newenoughhp.com/closeouts/luggage/nelson_rigg/cl1000_standard_motorcycle_saddlebags.html

Excellent luggage, especially for the price. I used their luggage on my 27,000 mile trip and it all held up well, even with all the falling over. And they cost a tenth of what hard bags do.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
i never understood the point of hard bags, they weigh a ton, they are expensive, and they can be a liability in a down

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Armacham posted:

i never understood the point of hard bags, they weigh a ton, they are expensive, and they can be a liability in a down

They're waterproof, nicely designed ones are light, and they're lockable. Good ones also aren't any more of a liability in a down than anything else and they'll protect whatever's in them. No chance of them burning up on your exhaust or contacting your rear wheel, either.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Looking at a 1995 KLR650 with 14k miles. Mechanically seems just fine, but it's pretty worn and needs new tires and a stock exhaust (current one way too loud). Looked at it today, test driving tomorrow when bank's open. Started up from cold immediately. Agreed on $1250 - seem okay, or too much?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

Looking at a 1995 KLR650 with 14k miles. Mechanically seems just fine, but it's pretty worn and needs new tires and a stock exhaust (current one way too loud). Looked at it today, test driving tomorrow when bank's open. Started up from cold immediately. Agreed on $1250 - seem okay, or too much?

Seems like a really good price to me. Has the doohickey been done? You should be able to make money finding someone who wants to swap you a stock exhaust...I'd be all over that.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

It's a supertrap exhaust and it looks kind of crappy, not sure if anyone would really want it. I doubt the doohickey's been done, but looking online says it's easy to do and I'm fairly mechanically inclined. Plus I'm buying something that needs work on purpose. Thanks for the feedback!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Armacham posted:

I prefer soft bags myself, but having something secure/lockable, especially commuting an in urban environment would be pretty nice. Ideally I'd probably have a medium/largish Pelican case on the rear rack (for secure, easy access to camera gear, or somewhere to stuff my jacket if I was commuting), and panniers on the sides for soft bags.

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

That sounds pretty good, I'd jump on that if it was in my area.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Cool, I'll definitely pick it up then and post some pics. I wasn't really looking for any bike in particular in my recent search, just something cheap and fun. I was surprised how god drat big it was when I got there because I hadn't really thought of what every other dual sport in the world looked liked in person.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Sitting tall on a bike is awesome in traffic also because your bars are above the cars mirrors so you can pass closer in traffic. This may not be the case over in the states where everyone drives an SUV.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

niethan posted:

Sitting tall on a bike is awesome in traffic also because your bars are above the cars mirrors so you can pass closer in traffic. This may not be the case over in the states where everyone drives an SUV.

Texas :( But you have a good point. I'm looking forward to a non-sporty platform for the first time.

edit: jesus someone got the KLR doohickey tattood: (hopefully hosting on google pages isnt image leaching)

hayden. fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 14, 2009

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I prefer soft bags myself, but having something secure/lockable, especially commuting an in urban environment would be pretty nice. Ideally I'd probably have a medium/largish Pelican case on the rear rack (for secure, easy access to camera gear, or somewhere to stuff my jacket if I was commuting), and panniers on the sides for soft bags.

yeah i actually have givi top case, but on the sides i prefer soft saddlebags, that I usually just run a couple cable locks through to secure.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

Those are Nelson Rigg bags by the looks of it. http://www.newenoughhp.com/closeouts/luggage/nelson_rigg/cl1000_standard_motorcycle_saddlebags.html

Excellent luggage, especially for the price. I used their luggage on my 27,000 mile trip and it all held up well, even with all the falling over. And they cost a tenth of what hard bags do.

Dude, why did you have to link that. Now I'm out 60 bucks.

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

It's a supertrap exhaust and it looks kind of crappy, not sure if anyone would really want it. I doubt the doohickey's been done, but looking online says it's easy to do and I'm fairly mechanically inclined. Plus I'm buying something that needs work on purpose. Thanks for the feedback!

The 'doo is fairly easy to do and at 14k, that KLR is just getting broken in. I've had mine for close to 3 months now and still love it.

redscare fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 14, 2009

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Armacham posted:

Because they look 100 times nicer and you can paint them. :smug:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Because they look 100 times nicer and you can paint them. :smug:

yeah that's true too. If I didn't go off road so much on my rides, maybe I'd consider them (not that I would ever be able to afford them)

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Armacham posted:

What others have said, but to be fair I made do with soft luggage for a trip that sane people would insist you needed hard luggage for, and I made it out okay. Also, soft bags are a lot easier to swap from bike to bike to bike.

Perhaps if I did more urban commuting I'd feel differently, having something that locks easily and can't be cut through with a pen knife would be nice. But even then, some Pelican cases would probably do the job just as well. I can't fathom spending half of what my bike cost on just bags.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

What others have said, but to be fair I made do with soft luggage for a trip that sane people would insist you needed hard luggage for, and I made it out okay. Also, soft bags are a lot easier to swap from bike to bike to bike.

Perhaps if I did more urban commuting I'd feel differently, having something that locks easily and can't be cut through with a pen knife would be nice. But even then, some Pelican cases would probably do the job just as well. I can't fathom spending half of what my bike cost on just bags.

They wouldn't cost half as much as your bike if you had a BMW :smug:

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

redscare posted:

Dude, why did you have to link that. Now I'm out 60 bucks.

Hey, I gave you that 10% off coupon, that should help a bit :)

If you ever need a matching seat bag, their CL-800 bag is freakin awesome. Clips right onto the saddlebags, super-easy to put on/take off and makes a great backrest. It's such a nice bit of kit, perfectly sized with great design and compartment sizes, that I use it for my general-purpose luggage.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

Hey, I gave you that 10% off coupon, that should help a bit :)

If you ever need a matching seat bag, their CL-800 bag is freakin awesome. Clips right onto the saddlebags, super-easy to put on/take off and makes a great backrest. It's such a nice bit of kit, perfectly sized with great design and compartment sizes, that I use it for my general-purpose luggage.

Already blew the coupon on gear for myself. Bought some boots, overboots, and cold/wet-weather gloves

For the record, a blue textile touring jacket, black leather sportbike pants, and white racing boots make you look absolutely ridiculous on a red and black KLR.

edit: also, decided to keep the $60 since I need a rack to keep the exhaust from setting the bags on fire.

redscare fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 14, 2009

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Tsaven Nava posted:

I can't fathom spending half of what my bike cost on just bags.

There's a second hand market for hard luggage, just like bikes? :confused:

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I am now $1250 poorer and one 1995 KLR650 richer. The half hour ride home on an unknown possibly volatile motorcycle was nerve-wracking, but the engine was pretty smooth and seemed to idle well fairly soon after starting up.

The clutch cable is absolutely shot, which made things difficult. Footpeg on rear brake is mostly broken off, but still works. Shifting lever is way bent out of shape and seems to be loosely connected to the transmission, obviously still works though. No blinkers, which I'll have to fix. Speedo cable is broken. Turns out he had the stock exhaust, which was a plus, and I'm sort of wondering whether or not to keep the supertrapper on there. Doesn't sound too bad. Paint job is terrible and the two small front side fairings have broken/lost tabs. Left mirror mount is broken and there's no mirror. Rear tire needs to be replaced, front probably has couple thousand miles left on it.

edit: also forgot to mention that ignition will turn with a screwdriver, I'm guessing this was stolen at some point.

All in all, it needs some work. I'll post pics tomorrow when it's light out. Thanks again for the help guys.

edit: got bored, here are pics:

hayden. fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 15, 2009

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
You did really well, I think. KLR's are not the most glorious of bikes but they are durable, crash well, and will go around the world, how far did you want to go? It'll take you there.

I see KLR's from all over the US and the world up here in Alaska and every rider has ridden it here, they are in it for the ride, not for the glory, and they know that their final drive isn't likely to fail. I'd say fix the obvious stuff you mentioned, treat yourself to new tires and bedliner the bodywork. And ride!

edit:sphelung

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
And from a distance they sound like Hueys.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

the best part about having a bike that ugly is you don't have to give a gently caress

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Spaypaint that puppy flat black and don't worry about the paint again. The rest of those issues can be fixed easily and cheaply. Just get the doo taken care of ASAP, 14k is a long time on the stocker. Can't hurt to check the valves either.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

I am now $1250 poorer and one 1995 KLR650 richer. The half hour ride home on an unknown possibly volatile motorcycle was nerve-wracking, but the engine was pretty smooth and seemed to idle well fairly soon after starting up.

I'm trying to remember but either you or someone else mentioned being in dallas? If you're in Dallas you should come ride with sklnd ('01 KLR) and I sometime. Is this your first/second/etc bike? We'll go find some dirt roads or a water crossing or something.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Further inspection revealed:
-Some idiot welded the right footpeg mount directly to the frame, like a retard. Normally not a big deal but it was pretty rusted and I wanted to replace it.
-Big gash on swing arm where the passenger footpeg mount scrapped against it for what looked like several thousand miles.
-Absolutely no wiring for blinkers, despite OP saying it was there (protip: don't trust the word of someone selling in a trailer park).
-Front tire is plenty cracked needs to be replaced.

My to-do list:
1. Replace clutch cable
2. Bend shifter into place or replace, replace rear brake peg
3. Sand/paint (or bedliner) the bodywork and tank. Will probably try paint first.
3. Get blinkers and wiring, install
4. Fix speedo cable
5. Find new radiator shroud fairings, or see if existing ones can be cable tied
6. Oil change
7. replace brake/radiator fluid
8. valve adjustment
9. Doohickey
10. tires
11. Replace gas cap and ignition, and hopefully get a key that matches both. Can turn the bike on with a screw driver right now :downs:

I'm putting the two most expensive parts at 9 and 10 because I want to get some work in on this thing and make sure it's worth keeping.

blugu64 posted:

I'm trying to remember but either you or someone else mentioned being in dallas? If you're in Dallas you should come ride with sklnd ('01 KLR) and I sometime. Is this your first/second/etc bike? We'll go find some dirt roads or a water crossing or something.

Downtown Fort Worth. Sounds good. Maybe I can buy you guys beer or something and get you to help me out with some of the more greasy projects. I had a Ninja 250 and 650 before this.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 15, 2009

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

redscare posted:

Spaypaint that puppy flat black and don't worry about the paint again. The rest of those issues can be fixed easily and cheaply. Just get the doo taken care of ASAP, 14k is a long time on the stocker. Can't hurt to check the valves either.
Yes the valves need to be checked at the very least. I know everybody gets excited about the doo hickey, and it should be done, but I would be more worried about the valve clearances. Although with 14k and no apparent problems the valves have probably been done, but I would still check them right away. Also flush the coolant system especially if it is the goofy original blue stuff.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

Downtown Fort Worth. Sounds good. Maybe I can buy you guys beer or something and get you to help me out with some of the more greasy projects. I had a Ninja 250 and 650 before this.

Sounds good. I'm almost always down for working/riding on bikes. I'm out of town for a while but I should have some time in January.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Now that I'm done with school, I've started looking at bikes more seriously. I'm pretty set on a dual sport, and would like to keep it around $3k and below (sorry BMW F650). The bike will mostly be used for commuting short distances during the week, and hopefully for some longer jaunts on the weekends, possibly a road trip sometime in May/June. I am most likely moving overseas at the end of the summer, so ideally it'd be something that doesn't lose a ton of its value between now and then (should I go with a higher mileage bike or pay a premium for one with 5k miles or less?). Something fairly bulletproof/easy to work on is also a plus, my wrenching skills are pretty basic now but I'd like to learn more.

The KLR 650 looks like the most likely candidate, although the Suzuki DR 650 is also on my radar. TBH I'm not really after a ton of power, but I'd like to be able to ride on the highway. I'm not so sure about the 600/650cc Hondas, as they seem harder to get racks/panniers for. Is there anything else I could be looking for? Honda Transalp's seem pretty cool, but few and far between. The DRZ400 also sounds nice, but is apparently more suited to dirt than highways.

Also, I've seen a few bikes out of state (I'm in Tampa, FL) that interest me, although I'm not sure if its worth the hassle of riding back. Is it a pretty dumb/bad idea to ride something down this time of year? I'm not talking about from Maine or anything, but I've seen a few other bikes for sale in the Southeast that look better than most current options locally, and I do have relatives I could stay with in Atlanta to break the trip up. I've done plenty of 8+ hour day rides in the past, but on 125cc bikes in temperate climates.

Edit, looked at OP: I guess I'm sort of a new rider, as I haven't taken the MSF yet or ridden on proper American roads. Overseas I've been riding 100-125cc scooters on and off since I was 19, last summer I bought a 125cc two-stroke Russian bike and tooled around Vietnam/Laos for 7 weeks on it.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 15, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Also, I've seen a few bikes out of state (I'm in Tampa, FL) that interest me, although I'm not sure if its worth the hassle of riding back. Is it a pretty dumb/bad idea to ride something down this time of year?

This depends 100% on your gear. It's only 57F in atlanta right now, so that shouldn't be too bad. As for MSF, it's a good idea to take it if only to get it drilled in your head how important swerving and emergency stops are. It's saved my bacon more the once, but if you're comfortable on a bike and have more then a little experience on 100-125cc bikes a quick jaunt from the southeast to tampa should be pretty doable if you've got the right gear. Though you might want to stay on back roads if you don't have any freeway experience, it's not the freeways are bad, they can just be overwhelming the first time you ride on one. Is there nothing available locally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Now that I'm done with school, I've started looking at bikes more seriously. I'm pretty set on a dual sport, and would like to keep it around $3k and below (sorry BMW F650). The bike will mostly be used for commuting short distances during the week, and hopefully for some longer jaunts on the weekends, possibly a road trip sometime in May/June. I am most likely moving overseas at the end of the summer, so ideally it'd be something that doesn't lose a ton of its value between now and then (should I go with a higher mileage bike or pay a premium for one with 5k miles or less?). Something fairly bulletproof/easy to work on is also a plus, my wrenching skills are pretty basic now but I'd like to learn more.

The KLR 650 looks like the most likely candidate, although the Suzuki DR 650 is also on my radar. TBH I'm not really after a ton of power, but I'd like to be able to ride on the highway. I'm not so sure about the 600/650cc Hondas, as they seem harder to get racks/panniers for. Is there anything else I could be looking for? Honda Transalp's seem pretty cool, but few and far between. The DRZ400 also sounds nice, but is apparently more suited to dirt than highways.

Also, I've seen a few bikes out of state (I'm in Tampa, FL) that interest me, although I'm not sure if its worth the hassle of riding back. Is it a pretty dumb/bad idea to ride something down this time of year? I'm not talking about from Maine or anything, but I've seen a few other bikes for sale in the Southeast that look better than most current options locally, and I do have relatives I could stay with in Atlanta to break the trip up. I've done plenty of 8+ hour day rides in the past, but on 125cc bikes in temperate climates.

Edit, looked at OP: I guess I'm sort of a new rider, as I haven't taken the MSF yet or ridden on proper American roads. Overseas I've been riding 100-125cc scooters on and off since I was 19, last summer I bought a 125cc two-stroke Russian bike and tooled around Vietnam/Laos for 7 weeks on it.

Find a 1200-2000$ KLR and spend the rest on gear and training/gas.