Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Dickeye posted:

Is TVN the one that translates everything or are they the one that leaves stupid pointless bullshit that adds nothing to the actual translation
Leaves stupid pointless bullshit that adds nothing to the actual translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I hadn't read that Sendo story before, so thanks for linking it. In other news, Woli remains a gen~ius, because no shounen series ever recognizes the idea of an idiot savant.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Guyver posted:

Leaves stupid pointless bullshit that adds nothing to the actual translation.

Then no I don't

I don't remember whose subs I do like though, because the only thing I watch with subs is Kamen Rider and I'm way behind on that

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

I hadn't read that Sendo story before, so thanks for linking it. In other news, Woli remains a gen~ius, because no shounen series ever recognizes the idea of an idiot savant.

i think theres some word that always gets translated as genius, "tensai" or something like that, which basically just means naturally gifted or extremely talented. I think I read some slam dunk scans that left it untranslated a while back

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
New chapter yet?

Nope?

Alright then. :parrot:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah, we were supposed to get 878 this week :confused: It'd better have something good happen, because after 878, we don't get Ippo for two weeks. Then we get a chapter. Then two more weeks without. Such is the holiday season :smith:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm just hoping that one of those chapters will end with Ippo punching Woli so drat hard that it satisfies me for two weeks. C'mon, two page spread.

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'm just hoping that one of those chapters will end with Ippo punching Woli so drat hard that it satisfies me for two weeks. C'mon, two page spread.

Four page spread :colbert:

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I'm hoping for a career-ending fight here, Woli is so annoying I really don't want him to be a recurring character.

I finished reading through the archives a little while ago, and man does it slow down so badly.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

An Outland Dish posted:

Four page spread :colbert:

18 page spread where it starts off just showing Woli's face on the left page and slowly shows Ippo's glove appearing and moving towards it from the right page, concluding with it graphically showing Woli's face get distorted by the glove and his retainer getting knocked out.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

18 page spread where it starts off just showing Woli's face on the left page and slowly shows Ippo's glove appearing and moving towards it from the right page, concluding with it graphically showing Woli's face get distorted by the glove and his retainer getting knocked out.

A flip-motion comic! :woop: I'd go forward and in reverse for hundreds of times~

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Ytlaya posted:

Four page spread where it shows Ippo's glove on the right and Woli's head on the left then on the next page it shows Woli's lifeless body on the floor on the right and Woli's decapitated head on the left.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
A one panel punch, followed by a chapter of reaction shots to the effect that Ippo hit him so hard that it went back in time and slugged his pregnant mother in the gut.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
18 pages of 15 panels each, intricately detailing the effects of each blow on Woli's body, down to the bones breaking and individual brain cells dying.

I'm dreading the next popularity poll because what if Woli is suddenly super popular and he comes back for some kind of rematch :(

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

CaptainRat posted:

individual brain cells dying.

Can we all agree that we want to see this happen?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

CaptainRat posted:

18 pages of 15 panels each, intricately detailing the effects of each blow on Woli's body, down to the bones breaking and individual brain cells dying.

I'm dreading the next popularity poll because what if Woli is suddenly super popular and he comes back for some kind of rematch :(

I don't see why Woli would be well-liked :( Then again, the Japanese do have rather, uh, questionable tastes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, Miyata is popular for some reason so who knows?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*punches Woli*
Just one punch? Is that all you've got?
You're already dead.
:psyboom:

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine

Ytlaya posted:

Nothing like a good 'ol fractured jaw to end a fight. Oooh. It turns out that Woli has a glass jaw, but nobody ever knew because they couldn't hit him! So vary targic.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Infinitum posted:

*punches Woli*
Just one punch? Is that all you've got?
You're already dead.
:psyboom:

Ippo reveals that during this fight he's actually been hitting Woli multiple times so fast that he couldn't even see it. In a delayed reaction, Woli spews blood out of his mouth and falls down, never to stand up again.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
gently caress I dont like reading these 'Woli' spoilers, though idk who the gently caress that is. Just got done with the Russian fight, now Ippo is gonna fight Date. This should be awesome.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Does Barfkid ever come back? He was awesome

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

goodvisiontoucan posted:

Does Barfkid ever come back? He was awesome
Yep, he certainly does.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
When do the spoilers generally come out for Ippo chapters? We didn't get a chapter this week, I know, but when can we expect the next one?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Sindai posted:

Yep, he certainly does.

Good, I like him :)

On Chapter 183, hope Ippo beats Date but I think he is overdue for his first loss..

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Chapter 195 :(

Ippo lost...

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Man your enthusiasm is cute.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

Man your enthusiasm is cute.

Comments like this make me feel like the manga goes to poo poo

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
It hasn't REALLY, it's just the current fight has us all bored. (Ok the last 3)

You my good man have some of the most spine-tingle inducing fights I have ever read in front of you. So goddamn jealous. You will come to worship Takamura.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It doesn't go to poo poo as such. Rather, most of the last third or so of the manga has been brutally mediocre.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Reading the manga gives me the impression the mangaka is a virgin just because god loving drat I'm sick of Ippo being terrible with women and I can't imagine anyone with any experience would drag it out so long.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Nope, he gots a wife and kid. I think one of the problems is he also runs a boxing gym so he doesn't really have the time most authors have to work on their series.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

goodvisiontoucan posted:

Good, I like him :)

On Chapter 183, hope Ippo beats Date but I think he is overdue for his first loss..

Someone actually LIKED Geromichi? :confused: He bugged the loving hell out of me until you see him again.

The manga is pretty awesome, man. And most of the irritation comes from being caught up with the series. I re-read Ippo's fight prior to this one, and when you can go through it in one sitting, it really isn't bad at all. Although, I think for the past 100-200 chapters, it hasn't been as good as earlier ones. I'm sure that Mori is just having an odd transition, and has a few good ideas on the horizon. Getting to them is just a bit bumpy.

I hope that's the case :ohdear:

But Woli's fight will be one of those that is just a pain to read, even if it is one sitting. He's been god-moding the fight thus far, and his character is just irritating.

Jose --
No worries. I'm sure that by the time we hit the Martinez fight, Ippo will finally give her his first hug :downs:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Oh christ is he really going to fight a bear

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

He beat the loving bear

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

tazman posted:

You will come to worship Takamura.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I would agree if it wasn't for his title fights, I'm of the opinion that he should have been constantly absurd and never have to try since he can blow them to pieces with a single punch.

KoB
May 1, 2009

goodvisiontoucan posted:

Oh christ is he really going to fight a bear

goodvisiontoucan posted:

He beat the loving bear

Pretty much sums up Takamura right here.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
What amazes me about Takamura VS Bear is how it manages to both be relatively plausible (at least when compared to other fighting comics) while at the same time being deliciously over the top. In a way, it is the perfect microcosm of how the entire comic handles action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

Gils posted:

I would agree if it wasn't for his title fights, I'm of the opinion that he should have been constantly absurd and never have to try since he can blow them to pieces with a single punch.

If it was handled like that we never would have gotten the Brian Hawk fight, which was probably the best in the series next to Ippo/Sendo