Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

blugu64 posted:

This depends 100% on your gear. It's only 57F in atlanta right now, so that shouldn't be too bad.

A good one piece suit plus heated jacket liner, gloves, and pants will let me ride in what seems like any temperature. Only been as low as 20F or so, though, since I'm in Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

Only been as low as 20F or so, though, since I'm in Texas.

Goddamn, where in Texas does it get that cold?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

It isn't common, but it happens.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Tsaven Nava posted:

The occupied parts up in colorado :colbert:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

blugu64 posted:

This depends 100% on your gear. It's only 57F in atlanta right now, so that shouldn't be too bad. As for MSF, it's a good idea to take it if only to get it drilled in your head how important swerving and emergency stops are. It's saved my bacon more the once, but if you're comfortable on a bike and have more then a little experience on 100-125cc bikes a quick jaunt from the southeast to tampa should be pretty doable if you've got the right gear. Though you might want to stay on back roads if you don't have any freeway experience, it's not the freeways are bad, they can just be overwhelming the first time you ride on one. Is there nothing available locally?

Oh, definitely planning on taking the MSF, I think it's required for new motorcycle licenses in FL now anyways. I've never ridden anything bigger than that two-stroke, and never on proper roads with traffic laws and all that jazz, so I think I'll get plenty out of the course. I also have "Proficient Motorcycling", which is on loan to the F650 friend at the moment.

There's not much available locally, although a few "maybe's" out towards Orlando and in other parts of the state but all $2500 and up. There is a running '88 KLR650 in town for $600, but no title or "side plastic and tank schrouds". I'm hoping if I'm patient something nice will pop up locally, but so far no good.

I'd probably never going to use that heavy riding gear again, so that's a definite minus against the out of state option (plus one-way plane ticket, meals, gas, etc). I suppose it'd have to be a screaming deal for it to be worthwhile, there are a few in-state to choose from although nothing amazing.

Z3n posted:

Find a 1200-2000$ KLR and spend the rest on gear and training/gas.

Wish I friggin' could, but aside from that guy I was talking to last month (and then decided not to sell) they all seem $2500+. There is a '98 DR650 near me for $1700, but it's got almost 20,000 miles and is out in hick country, so not sure how much a bargain it would be (also, slightly predisposed towards a KLR). Some of the out of state ones are in that price range or close to it though.

Edit: This is on Craigslist too, the mods kind of make me wary and I'd need to buy/re-install turn signals and front fairing.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 15, 2009

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Edit: This is on Craigslist too, the mods kind of make me wary and I'd need to buy/re-install turn signals and front fairing.

That's in pretty drat good shape. This was pretty funny:

quote:

The big bore kit was installed by a profectionest

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Wish I friggin' could, but aside from that guy I was talking to last month (and then decided not to sell) they all seem $2500+. There is a '98 DR650 near me for $1700, but it's got almost 20,000 miles and is out in hick country, so not sure how much a bargain it would be (also, slightly predisposed towards a KLR). Some of the out of state ones are in that price range or close to it though.

Keep an eye out, they'll show up. Also take a look at any KLR riders board (do those even exist? for some reason, I think they must operate on some underground smoke signal ring).

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Keep an eye out, they'll show up. Also take a look at any KLR riders board (do those even exist? for some reason, I think they must operate on some underground smoke signal ring).

klr650.net

Also, KLRs come up for sale regularly on advrider, its where I got mine

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

This looks like a good deal to me, you should see if you can go hear it run. The items he has done (rear shock, 685, cams, exhaust) would make that bike rock. The missing parts are not mission critical (except for the turn signals). I would probably jump on this if it was anywhere near me, after inspecting it in person.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

SuperSlant6 posted:

This looks like a good deal to me, you should see if you can go hear it run. The items he has done (rear shock, 685, cams, exhaust) would make that bike rock. The missing parts are not mission critical (except for the turn signals). I would probably jump on this if it was anywhere near me, after inspecting it in person.

Maybe this is misguided noob-think, but it sounds to me like the bike has been modified to be raced/beat on. 4k isn't a lot of mileage, but I'm guessing that they've probably been very hard miles, and those mods are only going to hurt the reliability of the bike in the long run. I would be willing to pay slightly more for a bone stock bike (less doohickey) of similar condition/mileage, like I said, power really isn't a big concern for me.

If it was in town I'd definitely go take a look, but Tally is about 4 hours away and unfortunately my buddy with a truck works M-F. If the bike doesn't meet reserve I'll try shooting the guy an e-mail (friend might be available on the weekend), but seems like a longshot.

redscare posted:

klr650.net

Also, KLRs come up for sale regularly on advrider, its where I got mine

Yeah, I've been looking both there and ADVRider, seems like the latter has more KLR's for sale at a given time than klr650.net :v:

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Maybe this is misguided noob-think, but it sounds to me like the bike has been modified to be raced/beat on. 4k isn't a lot of mileage, but I'm guessing that they've probably been very hard miles, and those mods are only going to hurt the reliability of the bike in the long run. I would be willing to pay slightly more for a bone stock bike (less doohickey) of similar condition/mileage, like I said, power really isn't a big concern for me.
I guess I have a little different view on it. As long as the upgrades were done by somebody who is familiar with KLRs, I doubt they would hurt reliability. The 685 piston should be top notch if it is Schnitz, and it is very likely to be becuase I have never heard of anyone else making one. One of the nicest things about the 685 piston is reduction of vibrations. The cams are the one questionable area to me, they are likely custom ground, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. I have a stock internal KLR, and when I have it loaded down and driving into a head wind, I sometimes start to run out of throttle. It's times like this that I wish I had a 685 (or 705!) kit, and someday I will.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

SuperSlant6 posted:

I guess I have a little different view on it. As long as the upgrades were done by somebody who is familiar with KLRs, I doubt they would hurt reliability. The 685 piston should be top notch if it is Schnitz, and it is very likely to be becuase I have never heard of anyone else making one. One of the nicest things about the 685 piston is reduction of vibrations. The cams are the one questionable area to me, they are likely custom ground, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. I have a stock internal KLR, and when I have it loaded down and driving into a head wind, I sometimes start to run out of throttle. It's times like this that I wish I had a 685 (or 705!) kit, and someday I will.

Hmm, well that definitely piques my interest more, I was thinking the piston job would be some fly-by-night Chinese kit or something. I sent the guy a message through eBay telling him I'd be interested in coming up to look at it on the weekend with cash in hand if it doesn't sell by then. Wish the drat thing was in town, if I felt confident about it I wouldn't have a problem using Buy It Now and knocking the 8% off with Cashback.

Also, one of you guys up in the DC metro area/NE Virginia needs to buy this $1800 fixer-upper Trans Alp on ADVRider.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Hmm, well that definitely piques my interest more, I was thinking the piston job would be some fly-by-night Chinese kit or something. I sent the guy a message through eBay telling him I'd be interested in coming up to look at it on the weekend with cash in hand if it doesn't sell by then. Wish the drat thing was in town, if I felt confident about it I wouldn't have a problem using Buy It Now and knocking the 8% off with Cashback.

Also, one of you guys up in the DC metro area/NE Virginia needs to buy this $1800 fixer-upper Trans Alp on ADVRider.
I looked at the pictures again, and the first things that I would add back would be the rear rack (I am always hauling everything I can on my KLR) and some wind protection for the hands. I would wait and see how the wind pushed it around with out a windshield and front fairing before replacing them. I also see that it already has a good skid plate and radiator guard (both of which I already added to my KLR). I also see that it has aggressive foot pegs, never used them can't tell you anything about them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

If my SV gets totaled and that's still available, I just may.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
$1800 TransAlps are tops. I'm not only the TransAlp Club president, I'm also a client!

Interesting thing about that TransAlp on ADVrider, the 87 model wasn't imported into the US, only the 89 and 90 model years, mostly superficial changes but still, you'd have a pretty rare TransAlp in the US. All '89s are the Red/White/Blue Colors, and 90's came in Red, Green, and Gray. Green being the most rare, iirc.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 16, 2009

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

SuperSlant6 posted:

I looked at the pictures again, and the first things that I would add back would be the rear rack (I am always hauling everything I can on my KLR) and some wind protection for the hands. I would wait and see how the wind pushed it around with out a windshield and front fairing before replacing them. I also see that it already has a good skid plate and radiator guard (both of which I already added to my KLR). I also see that it has aggressive foot pegs, never used them can't tell you anything about them.

Well, turn signals would be first :v: Definitely the rear rack though, probably something on the side for panniers. Not sure wind protection is super-urgent down here, is it something that gets bothersome at highway speeds?

The missing front fairing might be a blessing in disguise, it's the ugliest part of the KLR650 IMO and there may be an aftermarket/DIY solution I like better.

blugu64 posted:

Transalp

Interesting, I wonder if the owner is mistaken or if it's an actual grey market bike. I was reading up on the 90's Africa Twins, apparently the easiest way to get one is ship it over in pieces and reassemble on a US Transalp frame.

How do they compare to KLR's? I've always liked TA's, don't know a whole lot about them though. Seems like maybe not the bike to buy in my situation (only going to have it 6-8 months), but possibly something to consider in the future.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Interesting, I wonder if the owner is mistaken or if it's an actual grey market bike. I was reading up on the 90's Africa Twins, apparently the easiest way to get one is ship it over in pieces and reassemble on a US Transalp frame.

How do they compare to KLR's? I've always liked TA's, don't know a whole lot about them though. Seems like maybe not the bike to buy in my situation (only going to have it 6-8 months), but possibly something to consider in the future.

Its definitely grey import. Gold rims were never offered, and either was shipped in or is the original on that bike. People get Africa Twins in by shipping them in parts reassembling and duping the DMV/DOT into registering them. Or they buy parts from the Africa Twin and put them on their Transalp, commonly done is the Tank, front fairing, and swing arm.

As to how it compares to the KLR? Well it is superior in every dimension and metric known to man and was touched by the hand of god, soichiro honda. It's a V-twin as compared to a thumper, has slightly more power, but is a little thirstier and has a smaller tank. It's also slightly shorter then the KLR, but a lot prettier :colbert:

edit: Here is sklnds '01 KLR and my '89 TransAlp (before I recovered the seat)

edit2: Oh ya, one thing to keep in mind, is the TransAlp would be alot pricier to repair in the case of a bad fall. They weren't on the US market very long and sometimes it's cheaper/easier/the only way to get parts from europe or australia. That upper fairing is pretty pricy. The KLR is basically a two-wheeled tractor that doesn't break, and if it does just march down to the local tractor supply store(kawi dealer) and get parts, or ignore it. Then again, would you rather a finely crafted beautiful Honda or a tractor? If you're only going to keep it 6-8 months it's probably not the right choice, as good as they are, they are twenty years old, and poo poo breaks on twenty year old bikes. TransAlps lose their odo/speedo due to a lovely gear in front wheel, and their CDI ignition module goes bad every once in a while.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 16, 2009

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

blugu64 posted:

Its definitely grey import. Gold rims were never offered, and either was shipped in or is the original on that bike. People get Africa Twins in by shipping them in parts reassembling and duping the DMV/DOT into registering them. Or they buy parts from the Africa Twin and put them on their Transalp, commonly done is the Tank, front fairing, and swing arm.

As to how it compares to the KLR? Well it is superior in every dimension and metric known to man and was touched by the hand of god, soichiro honda. It's a V-twin as compared to a thumper, has slightly more power, but is a little thirstier and has a smaller tank. It's also slightly shorter then the KLR, but a lot prettier :colbert:

edit: Here is sklnds '01 KLR and my '89 TransAlp (before I recovered the seat)

edit2: Oh ya, one thing to keep in mind, is the TransAlp would be alot pricier to repair in the case of a bad fall. They weren't on the US market very long and sometimes it's cheaper/easier/the only way to get parts from europe or australia. That upper fairing is pretty pricy. The KLR is basically a two-wheeled tractor that doesn't break, and if it does just march down to the local tractor supply store(kawi dealer) and get parts, or ignore it. Then again, would you rather a finely crafted beautiful Honda or a tractor?

Well my first bike was (Belo)Russian and farted blue smoke, so what do you think the answer to that question is? :belarus: (I really want to know how SA got that smiley, btw). That's a good point about the plastics, it might be better to save that and/or the BMW's for when I'm older and have a bit more disposable income.

edit: ~*mY bAbY*~

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 16, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

All that mud makes me think you had a good time. Front drum brakes lets me know it.

Plastic Bottle
Mar 14, 2009

by Ozma
So I've been working on selling a few things on craigslist in order to buy a newer bike, but someone offered to trade me a 98' Honda CBR-600 in exchange for the snowmobile I have up. Currently I have a 1991 750 Kawasaki Vulcan, but wanted to move in the sports bike direction. Is there anything I should know in general about the CBR-600 before I go check out the bike? Also is there anything I should keep in mind moving from a cruiser to a sports bike?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

blugu64 posted:

$1800 TransAlps are tops. I'm not only the TransAlp Club president, I'm also a client!

Interesting thing about that TransAlp on ADVrider, the 87 model wasn't imported into the US, only the 89 and 90 model years, mostly superficial changes but still, you'd have a pretty rare TransAlp in the US. All '89s are the Red/White/Blue Colors, and 90's came in Red, Green, and Gray. Green being the most rare, iirc.
Um, how does one insure a bike that technically doesn't exist here?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Plastic Bottle posted:

So I've been working on selling a few things on craigslist in order to buy a newer bike, but someone offered to trade me a 98' Honda CBR-600 in exchange for the snowmobile I have up. Currently I have a 1991 750 Kawasaki Vulcan, but wanted to move in the sports bike direction. Is there anything I should know in general about the CBR-600 before I go check out the bike? Also is there anything I should keep in mind moving from a cruiser to a sports bike?

If you like the seating position on the CBR you will probably like it. Changes from cruiser?
Well, less apparent torque would be one. Probably twice the redline rpm of your current machine. So more noise and more shifting.
More expensive tires. More crap in the way to take off to work on stuff. Maybe higher insurance though being older I'm sure it's quite a bit down compared to new stuff.

Aside from looking over the condition of the CBR overall, ask about maintenance and listen for the tell tale clatter of a dying Cam Chain Tensioner.

Those older sport bikes aren't really all that aggressive when you compare them to the new crop. They don't make bad every day bikes at all. If it's in good shape it will probably keep you happy forever.

Now for me:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mcy/1513691542.html

Why shouldn't I buy this bike? I've been in love with the ZRX forever now and I've got cash and I've been wanting a new bike.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Um, how does one insure a bike that technically doesn't exist here?

I'd imagine they's insure an 87 as an 89 as it's 99%+ the same.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Tsaven Nava posted:

Austin, occasionally.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

blugu64 posted:

I'd imagine they's insure an 87 as an 89 as it's 99%+ the same.

Insurance companies need VINs and unless its got a VIN off an 89...

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

redscare posted:

However, it has a VIN (or how would you register it?), so....

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Plastic Bottle posted:

IIRC, a bit of ticking from the cam chain tensioner on cold start is normal. However, tensioners can and do fail on these engines, so if the ticking from the head doesn't subside in 30 seconds or so (and/or is evident with a few thousand revs on the clock), it needs a new tensioner (or a replacement manual one).

Otherwise, they're sound bikes. Being a Honda, reg/recs can go, but it'd be hard to spot that based on a brief once-over.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I'm 6'2". Will i fit on a honda Rebel?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

The Bramble posted:

Depends on your build, but I'm gonna hazard a guess with...no, probably not well.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Well in what way does your build determine if you can or not? I'm a pretty skinny guy, 190 lbs. If a rebel won't be comfortable for me, what kind of a beginner's cruiser would you guys recommend?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

The Bramble posted:

Well in what way does your build determine if you can or not? I'm a pretty skinny guy, 190 lbs. If a rebel won't be comfortable for me, what kind of a beginner's cruiser would you guys recommend?

He meant that it depends on where your height is. I'm got absurdly long legs, but a fairly short torso, other people have really long torsos and arms, with short legs, etc. But no matter what proportions you have, if you're 6'2" there is no way you'll fit onto a Rebel, they're surprisingly tiny bikes. I'm 6'0", and my knees hit the handlebars on them, quite literally.

As for a good first bike, it depends on what you're going to want it for. What is your riding history, and have you taken the MSF yet?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

The Bramble posted:

It depends on if your height is in your legs or your torso. If your height is in your torso then you should be fine, but if it is in your legs you're going to look like a monkey loving a football.

Edit: gently caress YOU TSAVEN! EVERYONE HATES YOU!

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

frozenphil posted:

Edit: gently caress YOU TSAVEN! EVERYONE HATES YOU!

LAWL I TEABAGGED YOUR BIKE LAST NIGHT

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The Bramble posted:

No. I took the MSF on one and I had to push my butt up on passenger seat to turn. I'm also 6'2".

Try looking into Shadows if you like Honda cruisers.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

redscare posted:

As noted, it has a VIN. Your insurance carrier is not the RMV; I doubt they care if it was imported, found on the side of the road, or whatever. You can still insure home-built vehicles, and in this case, they have the '89 to base the estimate from.

Now as far as the RMV goes, I would guess that would depend. Since it wasn't sold here, I would guess in my state (MA) they'd see the number as not having been in their computer and require some sort of inspection to ensure it's road worthy. I imagine in stricter states (CA) this would be far more difficult, because they may very well require you to certify it to modern standards rather than those of the time of manufacture.

My guess is it would be the same process as making a dirt-bike road-legal. It wasn't sold for that purpose, but with some signals, lamps, and a horn, you can throw it on the road.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

The Bramble posted:

Suzuki Boulevard M/S/C 50 (cubic inches, actually 805cc). There are a buttload of good cruiser options for you, and they can be very cheap used.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

MrKatharsis posted:

Suzuki Boulevard M/S/C 50 (cubic inches, actually 805cc). There are a buttload of good cruiser options for you, and they can be very cheap used.

Doctor Zero posted:

No. I took the MSF on one and I had to push my butt up on passenger seat to turn. I'm also 6'2".

Try looking into Shadows if you like Honda cruisers.

I have no riding experience and plan to take the class in the spring and begin riding soon after. These recommendations seem to be for pretty big (power wise) bikes, but I'm not sure that's what I should be riding for my first bike. My idea was to get a used 'beginner' bike like the 250cc Rebel, ride it for a year or so, then move up to something more powerful and long-term.

It doesn't have to be a Honda, though I really like the looks of most of their bikes.

edit: And i should mention my price range for a used bike is ~$3000, or else I won't be riding by the spring!

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

The Bramble posted:

I have no riding experience and plan to take the class in the spring and begin riding soon after. These recommendations seem to be for pretty big (power wise) bikes, but I'm not sure that's what I should be riding for my first bike. My idea was to get a used 'beginner' bike like the 250cc Rebel, ride it for a year or so, then move up to something more powerful and long-term.

It doesn't have to be a Honda, though I really like the looks of most of their bikes.

edit: And i should mention my price range for a used bike is ~$3000, or else I won't be riding by the spring!

Find yourself an old Honda Shadow. I've ridden one, and compared to my (then) GS500, they're roughly the same power. And, they can be easily had for under 3000 and are ridiculously reliable machines.

Example: http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/1506346609.html

Alternatively, an old Virago 250 would have far less power and be an absolute pig but may give you some confidence in not being able to flog it around and put yourself into a tree.

Example: http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/1496327715.html

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The Bramble posted:

Don't confuse cc and hp. As an example, a Shadow 600 is around 40hp, which is perfectly reasonable for a beginner. Now, a Rebel will be a lot lighter than a Shadow, but as long as you aren't getting some huge 800lb monstrosity, you'll be fine.

You can try riding a Rebel if you'd like, but I would bet real money that you'll just be too physically big to ride one comfortably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

You can try riding a Rebel if you'd like, but I would bet real money that you'll just be too physically big to ride one comfortably.
Well, there will almost certainly be a Rebel or five at his MSF class and he can sit on one and realize that it would probably not fit well.