Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I don't care whether or not you can grief people uncreatively, I just only want to hear the stories of creative griefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor What
Sep 17, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I've read through the whole thread, and while some really impressive and clever ideas where amazing and inspiring it sadly gave me the impression that the majority of the people here simply understand "griefing" as euphemism for "getting any sort of reaction by being a douchebag" - and really, how can you possibly fail at that?

When you behave like a dick to people, 99% of them are going to show a (mostly negative) reaction - being proud about that is like patting yourself on the back for being good at 'gravity-ing' by "letting stuff fall on the floor".

Apparently some people are easily satisfied by setting themselves the lowest goals possible and counting any possible reaction as success. Is the whole thrill really just as shallow and trivial as "getting away with it because it's the internet" and :smug:ing hard afterwards? That can't be all, right? :confused:

People play WoW and have fun doing it. Knowing that, I'm prepared to accept that people can find anything thrilling and exciting. Hay guys my gamerscore is 150,000! I hate my life but I am the best. :smug:

So yeah people will just be assholes because they have no life and think that it's the cool thing to do.

Doctor What
Sep 17, 2007

Eyebrows Mulligan posted:

I'm sorry, I guess I'm not man enough to play your internet games. And please stop trying to tell me that griefing is somehow about being nice and harmless to people and just giving them a good chuckle, because you know and I know that's a lie.

The whole deal with griefing is that you're messing with people who are taking it all too seriously. Oh god my numbers! My internet man is dying!

The fact that you're already saying "I'm not man enough to play your internet games", even jokingly, means that you are a huge troll target and you already suck dicks. So no wonder you're having a hard time understanding what griefing means and/or needing to have a special sit-down discussion about it. :chord:

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else... I don't know.
But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves.

Shumagorath posted:

Left 4 Dead 2: Ultra-solipsism

Play normally until your team is in deep poo poo. For me, three of us were left alive and one guy got smoked and the other pounced. Immediately start questioning how you can know the zombies and indeed the other players are even real, and the nature of external knowledge. Argue that the infected are just figments of your imagination and that you cannot save something from something else when neither can be known to exist with certainty.

I managed to bang out "This hunter isn't even real, let alone on me!" before I was kicked.

Text chat griefing, plus philosophy 101, exciting.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else... I don't know.

Cojawfee posted:

Because kids see actual griefing videos and think "Wow that's so cool! I can do that." But they think that the funny part of griefing is the being an rear end in a top hat part, and not the being clever part.

See: just about anyone that tries to do anything on a Ventrilo server.

Yes you recorded something and played it right back to us, how amazing.

About the only time it was funny was on that "found a ring in there last night" video

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Blarticus posted:

Text chat griefing, plus philosophy 101, exciting.
I have to use text because laughter sort of takes away from the existential crisis. The response on voice chat is hilarious, however.

Eyebrows Mulligan
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Vib Rib posted:

One of the big differences between bullying and griefing is that you can walk away from griefing at any time if you just stop engaging the person. Bullying is more aggressive and persistently malicious.

And for the record I find some of the funniest griefs to be the ones where the grief-ees take it in stride.

So what you are saying is that if someone were griefing agressively and with persistent malice, it would not be considered griefing. That's bullshit and everyone knows it. Basically, the only comeback I've heard from this thread is that "griefing doesn't hurt anyone except loser nerds and we do it because its creative and therefore we have a moral upper hand".

Case in point,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE3KdcTgrno
Great grief, no? But I feel bad for any of you who think that this is the paradigm of creativity.

dr_what posted:

The whole deal with griefing is that you're messing with people who are taking it all too seriously. Oh god my numbers! My internet man is dying!

That still doesn't refute my claim that griefing is internet bullying and the enjoyment of it comes from the pain of others above all else. In fact it only serves to reinforce my point that the only justification you have is "well we're only griefing internet nerds so they deserve it :downswords:"

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Great grief, no?
No, funny harassment. Not in a game, thus not "griefing".

"well we're only griefing internet nerds so they deserve it :downswords:"
It's not specifically "nerds" that are prime griefing targets, it's people who take the game far, far too seriously for their own good. Anyone that can blow it off with "it's just a game" or even laugh at it isn't a good target. The kind of person who ragequits a game if they're behind by a little bit (or for that matter a lot) is the kind of person worth griefing creatively.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Seriously though I'm pretty sure you guys have covered every angle of this ridiculous argument over the past six pages.

Eyebrows Mulligan
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl
NO Full Circle. You are wrong.

m2pt5 posted:

No, funny harassment. Not in a game, thus not "griefing".

Well whatever you get the point. If the same thing took place in an in-game mechanic it would be griefing.

m2pt5 posted:

It's not specifically "nerds" that are prime griefing targets, it's people who take the game far, far too seriously for their own good. Anyone that can blow it off with "it's just a game" or even laugh at it isn't a good target. The kind of person who ragequits a game if they're behind by a little bit (or for that matter a lot) is the kind of person worth griefing creatively.

Once again still bullying, but still extremely satisfying.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Man this is some pro griefing right here. You scrubs should take lessons from these guys, they are griefing the hell out of this thread.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

I'm sorry, I guess I'm not man enough to play your internet games. And please stop trying to tell me that griefing is somehow about being nice and harmless to people and just giving them a good chuckle, because you know and I know that's a lie.

Shoving people down in a padded room isn't as cruel as shoving people down in a concrete parking lot. I can laugh at injured pride easy, I cant laugh at broken bones. Ok, maybe its theoretically just as cruel in principle based on some kind of mental state of whatever, but in practical application it isn't.

It's not so much that you aren't man enough, you are just way too fragile. If you can't get over games what do you do in a real life? Probably just take it and say nothing, because the thing that gives me the balls to gently caress with people is the same thing that gives them the balls to get upset about it.

That's it, I'm done posting for awhile.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

So what you are saying is that if someone were griefing agressively and with persistent malice, it would not be considered griefing.
No, that's not what I'm saying at all, but since that's the response you were expecting and prepared your argument against you go right on ahead.

To actually attempt a contribution here I've got a story, and I know this is really borderline griefing at best, but I thought it was clever and hopefully it's at least a step in the right direction:
I was playing TF2 earlier with pretty full teams and we only had one medic. When I joined, everyone was being very mad at the medic. Literal mic-raging. All he was doing was playing poorly -- it was his first day with the game. He obviously didn't quite know how to properly use uber, spycheck, keep people overhealed, or any of the things you sort of need to play to learn. People were trying to voteban him from the server just because he wasn't very good. Now this wasn't even some pro-super-serious server, it was a ridiculously easy-going arena server with some admin mods on top, so seeing everyone fuming and going OH poo poo YOU ARE THE WORST MEDIC, loving KILL YOURSELF RIGHT loving NOW JESUS CHRIST I DIED BECAUSE OF YOU was really staggering. He was a little green, but everyone kept at it. I DON'T CARE IF IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY YOU'RE loving TERRIBLE. GO loving STAB YOURSELF IN THE loving EYES BEFORE I DO IT FOR YOU YOU loving SCRUB.*

I stick up for the guy (rather passively, I'll admit, I'm not a hero in this story) saying things like "calm down, he's new at this" and "we all have to start somewhere" and this only makes people madder.
I switch to Heavy and he latches on to me as Medic and suddenly we start tearing poo poo up. In an arena match of 9v9 the two of us got 7 of the kills, and with alltalk on between rounds the other side was borderline psychotic, many of them having played with this Medic on their team before the scramble. He ended up friending me and I told him he was improving fast. He messages me back that he's not actually new at this, he just plays like it to people like those yelling at him.

Later on I watched him build an ubercharge on a heavy facing a sentry, then pop the uber and stop healing immediately. The guy went loving ballistic and ended up making such a row about this "scrub* medic that got him killed" that he ended up being votekicked from the server. **

True it's not really a new record in cleverness and it's not an exploitation of game mechanics, but I'm working with what I got here, and I figured we needed to move away from the "but what is griefing REALLY?" arguments.

*For the record I wasn't aware anyone actually used this word in a non-ironic context
**For anyone not familiar with TF2 lingo, this just means he suddenly left his teammate to die instead of turning him invincible to take down the sentry gun.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

So what you are saying is that if someone were griefing agressively and with persistent malice, it would not be considered griefing. That's bullshit and everyone knows it.

No, but it probably would not be a very entertaining grief. The best part of griefing is the disproportionate response. If you spend hours aggressively harassing someone and they get mildly irritating it's not very funny. If you spend a couple minutes doing something silly but harmless, and some guy flips his poo poo over it, it's hilarious.

Eyebrows Mulligan
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Vib Rib posted:

One of the big differences between bullying and griefing is that you can walk away from griefing at any time if you just stop engaging the person. Bullying is more aggressive and persistently malicious.

"Eyebrows Mulligan posted:

So what you are saying is that if someone were griefing agressively and with persistent malice, it would not be considered griefing.

Vib Rib posted:

No, that's not what I'm saying at all, but since that's the response you were expecting and prepared your argument against you go right on ahead.

Nice contradiction. Unless you mean to tell me that bullying is inherently more aggressive than griefing, and no grief could ever be more malicious or aggressive than that. They're essentially the same thing, and it's all a matter of asserting dominance. I don't care if you deny it those are the facts :colbert:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Counterpoint: Don't be such a crybaby, Eyebrows Mulligan.

Eyebrows Mulligan
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Okay I'll try to stop :smithicide:

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

He messages me back that he's not actually new at this, he just plays like it to people like those yelling at him.

This is definitely griefing, but also is the only way to play medic on a pub server anywhere.

If we're gonna consider real life griefing: I used to live in a city with lots and lots of bike riders, now I live in a city with very few bike riders, but I still ride my bike everywhere I go (unless I'm sick or it's a ridiculous distance). There aren't bike lanes or any real bike paths to speak of, so just about anywhere in town there's just barely enough room on the sidewalk for two bicycles to pass each other. So when you're bearing down on one guy, when you're about ten feet apart you let go of your handlebars and wave your arms a little like you're about to lose control. This will normally cause them to freak out a bit, rarely cause a crash, and possibly cause death in the event that they lose control so badly they go out into traffic.

I almost learned my lesson a month back when someone did the exact same thing to me right as I did it to him and we came so close I felt my knee brush against his leg.

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Why Does One Desire To Kill British? - The Philosophy Behind Griefing

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

:words:
The sun is hotter than a frying pan, but if a frying pan were hotter, it wouldn't be the sun.
Likewise bullying is more malicious and tenacious than griefing, but if griefing were more malicious, it wouldn't spontaneously turn into bullying. There are more differences. I mentioned it was "one of the big differences", rather than saying something like "this is the only difference", and further I pointed out the more important fact that you can just walk away from griefing, bullying is more like being there on the schoolyard every day giving some kid poo poo.

Now if you're done splitting loving hairs and trying to misread my words in every possible way, maybe we can get back to entertaining stories.

Eyebrows Mulligan
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl
This is this thread

And by golly, ain't no one gonna take my conductor's hat away from me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009
Everyone here is an rear end in a top hat and a bully and if you think otherwise you're a drat retard. Fortunately we're assholes with silly stores so that makes up for it.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Griefing is hilarious and good fun. Little to no damage comes from it so who gives a poo poo if its ethically good or not, when did that become important?

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Blarticus posted:

This is definitely griefing, but also is the only way to play medic on a pub server anywhere.

If we're gonna consider real life griefing: I used to live in a city with lots and lots of bike riders, now I live in a city with very few bike riders, but I still ride my bike everywhere I go (unless I'm sick or it's a ridiculous distance). There aren't bike lanes or any real bike paths to speak of, so just about anywhere in town there's just barely enough room on the sidewalk for two bicycles to pass each other. So when you're bearing down on one guy, when you're about ten feet apart you let go of your handlebars and wave your arms a little like you're about to lose control. This will normally cause them to freak out a bit, rarely cause a crash, and possibly cause death in the event that they lose control so badly they go out into traffic.

I almost learned my lesson a month back when someone did the exact same thing to me right as I did it to him and we came so close I felt my knee brush against his leg.

Hahaha, you're an rear end in a top hat, but that's hilarious.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Blarticus posted:

Haha, I love the idea of all the bicycle riders in your city playing some grand game of chicken.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
To be more than bullying the grief has to expose the target. Something like Awful Link of the Day is a grief on websites as it highlights their ridiculousness. Your Band Sucks griefs fans of bands as it shows the terrible aspects of the bands that their fans overlook. It's all about context. Throwing a shoe at a random person in the middle of a crowded street is being a psychopath, throwing a shoe at George Bush at a press conference is social commentary.

The brand of simple shock-humor griefing that's prevalent at the moment is really dragging the whole hobby down. Going onto online Pictionary and drawing an incredibly detailed beach scene (whatever the word is) and then spamming it with penises and swastikas in the last 10 seconds isn't good griefing, it's a lowest common denominator time-wasting for everyone involved. Your drawing is scrubbed, you get banned and people move on. And most importantly, unless you've brought along a giggling cabal of accomplices then there's no audience. Solo griefing is like pleasuring yourself in public, it's morally questionable and extremely anti-social.

That's why my favorite Ventrillo Harassment clip is with the guy who refuses to believe that it is his own voice being played back to him and that he doesn't really sound like that. The poor sap has had a foible pointed out to him. Not only has the griefer made us laugh, he's made us think too.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

How could I not realize that when I was keeping people locked inside the spawn rooms in TF2 I was actually teaching them a valuable life lesson

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Weren't they being asked trivia questions in that spawn room? that's kinda like learning...

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Who gives a toss about all this technial definition crap, everyone's forgetting the golden rule of griefing: It has to be funny, and none of this is.

Les semantion stroking off, more humorous tales of wage and woe.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

Here's something funny that was once done in a game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rl3RPC_Mw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Does a man griefing TF2 cause Onyxia to deep breath in WoW? :pipe::circlefap::pipe:

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
:eng101: When partaking in the grief-sport of 'audio spam' One simply must include "Orpheus in the Underworld" amongst his arsenal. It can fit so many independant situations that you will indeed be glad to have it by yourself.

I myself prefer to start the recording approximately 8 bars in, as this is where things certainly begin to heat up, and this piece is at it's most recognisable.

Good day!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

QwertySanchez posted:

:eng101: When partaking in the grief-sport of 'audio spam' One simply must include "Orpheus in the Underworld" amongst his arsenal. It can fit so many independant situations that you will indeed be glad to have it by yourself.

I myself prefer to start the recording approximately 8 bars in, as this is where things certainly begin to heat up, and this piece is at it's most recognisable.

Good day!
Nay, good sir, The Final Movement of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, sometmes called Ode To Joy, is where all true grief-merriment begins and ends. Of this, I am certain. Mayhaps you should venture back to grief-sporting in WoW? :smug:

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

GetWellGamers posted:

Who gives a toss

What?

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

People who claim Rochelle has the best vocalize spam are dead wrong.

L4D2: Fun With Vocalize Part 2 - Ellis Edition

"Holy poo poo, goddamn nightmare, zombie apocalypse and poo poo..."

This is the start of an elevator conversation in Dead Center 1, which triggers a long conversation among the four survivors, where they introduce themselves to each other. It's not context bound to anything, and can be repeated as fast as you can press the button. This effectively layers the conversation and forces all four characters into a loop of repeating gibberish. Ellis saying Ho-Ho-Ho-Ho, Coach saying "Settle down son" and Rochelle saying "Hey" more than Navi.

That used in itself will probably get you votekicked just from the ear rape. However, when used in conjunction with the microphone on Dark Carnival 5, you will produce a level-wide cacophony so obnoxious and loud that scientists estimate you are able to hear through time after being subjected to it. I did this during a pubstomp yesterday, and our team - competent to the end - completely lost all composure and began running around randomly, as if I'd completely broken their sanity. We got raped, but every second was worth it.

"... I love you."

In Left 4 Dead 1, I had mouse5 bound to Zoey's "Game over, man!" for loud, obnoxious griefing. Taking up its mantle in the second game is Ellis's much more subdued "... I love you" line. In-game, it's contextually used to refer to a car, but vocalize users care little about context. It's very soft, so sometimes people just think they're imagining it at first, which helps you gently caress with them. It's also extremely creepy.

Pre-game pep talk - In the safe room, walking up to teammates individually and proclaiming my love for them is usually met with homophobic awkwardness. However, one time I had a girl on my team. I made it a point to only stay near her, protect her, and every time I bailed her out, Ellis would spout "I love you." At first, she laughed, then asked me to stop... then started shooting me. Not that this deterred me - every time I got picked back up, I'd run right back up to her and use the bind multiple times. It eventually ended with a votekick three maps later. Oh women, always playing hard to get. :allears:

That boy ain't right - Of course, "I love you" can be just as bad if you go up to every object you see and profess your adoration for it. Cars, dumpsters, tanks, whatever. Best one to do this with is the tractor in Swamp Fever 4 - Ellis is a hick, after all. One game had me professing my love to the tractor for several minutes until I got shot to death.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Endorph posted:

Nay, good sir, The Final Movement of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, sometmes called Ode To Joy, is where all true grief-merriment begins and ends. Of this, I am certain. Mayhaps you should venture back to grief-sporting in WoW? :smug:

Zounds! My reputation! :monocle:

The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

as this blessed evening falls don't forget the alcohol

Novasol posted:

Left 4 Dead vocalize fun

We had a lot of fun making Bill seem like a senile old man and when there used to be a "explode" / "kill" command that would suicide your survivor (or infected) we'd run him through a map and complain about chest pains and then OH NO! Bill had a heart attack! Much to players confusion and anger and our delight.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Novasol posted:

"... I love you."

This is bar none the best vocalize in the game, and the only other one that comes close is "Coach, you are the SMARTEST MAN ALIVE!".

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Case in point,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE3KdcTgrno
Great grief, no? But I feel bad for any of you who think that this is the paradigm of creativity.

No but the one where they recorded/repeated that guy in vent was loving hilarious. "I think my voice is getting stuck in the satellites!" He had no idea what was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Tonight I was playing and someone on red glitched the final stage of Goldrush. The last red spawn area that has 2 levels that leads up to the sniper's balcony. Someone managed to build a dispenser and a teleporter exit at the top of the stairs that still part of the red spawn zone. So enemy spies could hide behind where people spawn and instantly back stab them.

• Locked thread