Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Why would Frith keep trying to chew on Zen's butt? It's definitely not just ducking his head (under her butt) for groomies, because when she freaks and bolts there is sometimes fur pulled out. And he looks like he's chewing. It isn't very nice of him, and I'm trying to figure out what's causing this behavior as it's not horribly conducive to having Zen like him any more. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I am 100% paranoid about Paterson. Dammit. Why can't I be home all the time watching his eating habits and monitoring the poop situation.

grr.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

On a secondary note, aside from this butt-eating the buns have come to a truce of some sort. They still won't groom each other ever, but they'll deign to sit on opposite sides of the room from each other without much in the way of scuffling.

I have the worst bunnies in the world.

:3:

edit: argh, stupid bunnies, stop territorially peeing on my white carpet!

angelicism fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 12, 2009

Oakdale
Jan 7, 2008
let's dualize
I've had a little bunny for one semester at school, keeping her inside. We just got her a pen so she can play in cardboard boxes while we watch TV in the living room. If we close her in her cage, she poops in her litter box, but when we let her play freely she just poops anywhere she wants on the floor-she won't go about 2 feet to the litter box in her cage to poop. Does anyone have any advice for me to stop this? It makes me less excited about letting her play outside of her cage. Someone told me that people get two litter boxes sometimes, one for poops outside of the cage, and this usually solves the problem. Could anyone give me advice for this?

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Oakdale posted:

I've had a little bunny for one semester at school, keeping her inside. We just got her a pen so she can play in cardboard boxes while we watch TV in the living room. If we close her in her cage, she poops in her litter box, but when we let her play freely she just poops anywhere she wants on the floor-she won't go about 2 feet to the litter box in her cage to poop. Does anyone have any advice for me to stop this? It makes me less excited about letting her play outside of her cage. Someone told me that people get two litter boxes sometimes, one for poops outside of the cage, and this usually solves the problem. Could anyone give me advice for this?

You can try a second litterbox, but my first guess would be territorial pooping. Bunnies poop to mark their territory. Is she spayed? That often helps with territorial and behavioral issues, and spayed/neutered bunnies are often much better about using their litterbox.

Once she's convinced her territory is firmly marked, she might let up on her own, too. Two of my bunnies almost never poop out of their cage anymore - maybe one or two poops every few weeks - but my third one is really bad about it. He's super territorial, though, and spends his whole time chin-marking and pooping.

Oakdale
Jan 7, 2008
let's dualize

Bagleworm posted:

You can try a second litterbox, but my first guess would be territorial pooping. Bunnies poop to mark their territory. Is she spayed? That often helps with territorial and behavioral issues, and spayed/neutered bunnies are often much better about using their litterbox.

Once she's convinced her territory is firmly marked, she might let up on her own, too. Two of my bunnies almost never poop out of their cage anymore - maybe one or two poops every few weeks - but my third one is really bad about it. He's super territorial, though, and spends his whole time chin-marking and pooping.

Ah, that's interesting. I don't believe she's spayed. I'll look into that. Thanks for your advice. About your bunnies who don't poop outside of their cages anymore - did you have to spay them, or did you just wait for them to be satisfied? If you just waited, how long did it take?

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Oakdale posted:

Ah, that's interesting. I don't believe she's spayed. I'll look into that. Thanks for your advice. About your bunnies who don't poop outside of their cages anymore - did you have to spay them, or did you just wait for them to be satisfied? If you just waited, how long did it take?

Depending on how old she is she might never completely break the habit. Offer lots of boxes and put tasty hay in them to make them attractive. As for spaying, there's lots of info about it in this thread.

At least rabbit poo poo is easy to clean ;)

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

The only time my rabbit does that is if he thinks his litterbox isn't clean enough.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Oakdale posted:

All three of them are spayed/neutered, and the two good ones stopped pooping everywhere constantly within a month. The third hasn't ever stopped, even though he's neutered and was neutered the same time the others were (~6 months)

Oh, and they always poop all over new places for a few days (like when I take them with me when I got home for Christmas or summer break). I think it's just what bunnies do.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
Does anyone know any reputable breeders in Canada? I want to get a giant Angora rabbit and for the life of me I cannot find a breeder online. I would like to avoid buying from a pet store if at all possible. The only problem is I live in Newfoundland, where breeders arent very common/I have not been able to find one, I might call some of the pet stores tomorrow to see if they're able to order one for me. I think the giant angora is perfect for me as it combines my love of big bunnies and the possibility of wool :3

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
How many hours of butt maintenance per day are you prepared for?

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

I'm prepared for the 3/4 times a week grooming I'm told they need the only thing I need to do more of is research into diet which I'm half doing right now

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Blue_monday posted:

Does anyone know any reputable breeders in Canada? I want to get a giant Angora rabbit and for the life of me I cannot find a breeder online. I would like to avoid buying from a pet store if at all possible. The only problem is I live in Newfoundland, where breeders arent very common/I have not been able to find one, I might call some of the pet stores tomorrow to see if they're able to order one for me. I think the giant angora is perfect for me as it combines my love of big bunnies and the possibility of wool :3

Angoras are cute and lovely and fuzzy as all get out but couldn't you adopt a bun in need of a loving home? :love: :3: :love:

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Blue_monday posted:

I'm prepared for the 3/4 times a week grooming I'm told they need the only thing I need to do more of is research into diet which I'm half doing right now

Try once to twice a day. I fostered an angora for a while and if I didn't brush her out nearly every 12 hours her poops would get tangled up in her butt hair. After about a week I lost patience and gave her a shave.

There are always angoras in rescue because they're such a pain in the rear end that everyone gets fed up with them. You should consider fostering one for a month to see if you can stand it. That way you aren't adding to the homeless pet problem if it doesn't work out. There's one in Montreal who has been there since September 1. If that's too far, contact that organization and ask about closer rabbit rescues who may not use Petfinder - they might have angoras themselves, or they might work with this shelter to arrange a cross-province transport to you.

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

Is you takin' notes on a criminal fuckin' conspiracy?!
So, as I've posted a couple times here, I've had Mr. Flops for about 2 weeks now.

To preface he isn't spayed yet and I will be finding him a vet this weekend hopefully (in the middle of final exams at the moment)to see if he's ready for it yet. So maybe that has something to do with it.

For the first few days I let him just stay in his cage so that he could get used to my apartment, even though the cage is pretty small for his size (About 3x3x2 with 2 floors). He seemed pretty docile and shy, but everything was fine. Well I've been leaving his cage door open with part of my apartment fenced off and he simply won't leave his cage. I've even picked him up and put him in my lap right outside the cage and he'll immediately jump right back in. He'll only stay outside of the cage for more than 10 sec if I put him on a piece of furniture like my bed or something where he can't get back.

Once again, he's adopted so I don't know if there was some kind of mistreatment where he might be afraid of leaving his cage, pretty sure his previous owners had small children. The weirdest part is that he's not afraid of me (or my gf when she visits). If I leave him alone for too long he thumps until I come pet him or give him romaine or whatever. But he only wants me to pet him while he's in the cage.

If I leave him alone for a while, like when I go to school or whatever and come back, sometimes he gets extremely hyper in a jittery scary looking way. He jerks his head around back and forth almost like he's having a seizure. He only does this occasionally though. Could these 2 symptoms be connected?

Thanks for anyone's help. I realize this could probably be solved by the vet, but as I said I'm quite busy until the weekend. Besides these things Flops is the cutest little lop ever and I love him :)

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

From what you're describing it seems like the start of a binky, which is an expression of joy at seeing you. He probably wants to hop up in the air as well but doesn't want to leave the cage to do so. So it just means he's happy. My friend's rabbit does the same thing when she sees me, it's the cutest thing.

As for not leaving the cage I'd say just give him more time and opportunity to explore. Every rabbit has a very curious nature. He'll start exploring eventually. It's just a question of how quickly he gets bored in that cage. If he still doesn't leave the cage in several months' time, that's when I'd start worrying.

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

DS at Night posted:

From what you're describing it seems like the start of a binky, which is an expression of joy at seeing you. He probably wants to hop up in the air as well but doesn't want to leave the cage to do so. So it just means he's happy. My friend's rabbit does the same thing when she sees me, it's the cutest thing.

As for not leaving the cage I'd say just give him more time and opportunity to explore. Every rabbit has a very curious nature. He'll start exploring eventually. It's just a question of how quickly he gets bored in that cage. If he still doesn't leave the cage in several months' time, that's when I'd start worrying.

Ok that makes me feel a lot better, thanks. He's a lot of fun but I wish he would come out to play hehe.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
It's been over a month and I haven't posted photos of the Flemish giant we adopted. :effort:

This is Juniper, aka June.

He is 3 years old and was 17 pounds when we adopted him from the Oregon Humane Society. He has lost a few pounds and looks really good now that he is down to 15. He is free range in our living room and is out pretty much all the time. June likes to sleep with us and will hop up onto the bed each night to cuddle. His surrender papers said that he "wanted to be an outside bunny" and had been an indoor bun for the first two years of his life and was then put outside in a hutch for a year before surrender. He had some pretty awful matting around his back end and chest and his anal scent glands had never been cleaned and were pretty impacted. He absolutely bloomed once we got those issues fixed.

I thought about trying to bond him and Finn, but they really seem to despise each other and I don't think that it will work out since they are both male. Right now I basically rotate them so Finn still gets ample out of cage time each day.

June with a "hat": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0blmV3K95Yo

June meets Gypsy for the first time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol8mM5BPa08

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

pseudonordic posted:

Angoras are cute and lovely and fuzzy as all get out but couldn't you adopt a bun in need of a loving home? :love: :3: :love:

Part of the reason I chose the angora rabbit is because I also want to make angora wool. If I'm unable to find an angora rabbit I'll likely just find one for adoption. I also looked into that bunny in Montreal and they wouldn't ship her. :(

I tried looking on petfinder but it seemed to be unable to find Newfoundland. I also looked at the two big shelters in St. John's and they didnt have any angoras. I found out that one of the stores here gets bunnies from a local supplier but they didnt have/wouldnt share her contact number. Sigh :(

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Blue_monday posted:

I tried looking on petfinder but it seemed to be unable to find Newfoundland. I also looked at the two big shelters in St. John's and they didnt have any angoras. I found out that one of the stores here gets bunnies from a local supplier but they didnt have/wouldnt share her contact number. Sigh :(

There really are scores of them in rescue, you may just have to look around a bit. Contact these folks and ask for a list of Newfoundland rescues. You can also ask if they can set up a transport - not ship! - one from farther away. You may have to offer to do some of the driving!

Pardalis posted:

:neckbeard:

God I love these guys. There's always a [literal] TON of them looking for homes near me, too. One day...

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Paterson is sneezing. It's no big deal, like it's not him being Mr. Wheezy like he was when he had the snuffles but it looks like we're going to the vet.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Well look who decided he finally likes being under the blanket instead of escaping the moment it lands on him?

Click here for the full 657x800 image.

Possibly obvious is is that he has been captured in the middle of licking the everloving crap out of the couch cushion.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

alucinor posted:

There really are scores of them in rescue, you may just have to look around a bit. Contact these folks and ask for a list of Newfoundland rescues. You can also ask if they can set up a transport - not ship! - one from farther away. You may have to offer to do some of the driving!

God I love these guys. There's always a [literal] TON of them looking for homes near me, too. One day...

Really? I would love a Flemish (bred by my people :D) but I've never seen one in a rescue. Maybe because I'm not in an area where they're bred a lot.

Pardalis, so loving cute. What a sweetie, now I want one :mad: :neckbeard:

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Bunway Airlines posted:

Really? I would love a Flemish (bred by my people :D) but I've never seen one in a rescue. Maybe because I'm not in an area where they're bred a lot.

Yeah, I'm in Wisconsin, there's several Flemish BYBs up here. Four in WI on Petfinder right now and 2 in each of the surrounding states, and that doesn't count all the shelters who don't use Petfinder.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

bitprophet posted:

Well look who decided he finally likes being under the blanket instead of escaping the moment it lands on him?

Click here for the full 657x800 image.

Possibly obvious is is that he has been captured in the middle of licking the everloving crap out of the couch cushion.

D'awwwwwwwwwww :3:

Zen scrambles out of the blanket too, which is so sad because buns look so cute when they're tucked in!

Pardalis: June is HUGE! I bet he makes an awesome little spoon.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

Alucinor, I have a question for you since you are so experienced. June has a weird thing where his third eyelid slides over his eye. It is out evenly on both sides and sometimes it isn't out much at all, but sometimes it will cover about a third of his eye. Our bunny vet couldn't really tell me anything about it because it didn't look irritated at all, he isn't goopy, and his eye didn't have any scratches on it. His wellness exam went perfectly and he is apparently in fantastic health other than the mysterious third eyelid.

Could it be a birth defect? As far as I have found, there isn't anything on the net indicating that this is common in Flems or any rabbit, for that matter. He seems to have it out randomly rather than during specific times (stress, relaxation, etc). It doesn't seem to bug him.

Thoughts?

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

Flops finally decided to leave his cage today! Of course I didn't have his space fenced off at the time so he hopped all around my apartment and I had to follow him around until he went back into his cage. Finally got my camera to work.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Apocalypse Please posted:

Flops finally decided to leave his cage today! Of course I didn't have his space fenced off at the time so he hopped all around my apartment and I had to follow him around until he went back into his cage. Finally got my camera to work.

Dear God, Lops are adorable. :3:

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Pardalis posted:

third eyelid

I'll ask my vet student bunny friend to confirm, but in my experience, it just shows more in some individuals. I tend to think of these guys as very laid back (or, I tend to see it more in very laid back individuals), so maybe he's just spending more time highly relaxed. I wouldn't worry about it, just keep observing him. Does it change when he changes from being active to inactive and vice versa or does it persist through many activities for a long period of time?

Apocalypse Please posted:

Flops finally decided to leave his cage today!

I bet I can tell you why he's been hesitant - a door in that position can catch their feet and pinch them quite badly. He's probably been hurt before and it makes him scared to try it again. Get some pliers and open the hinges so you can turn it around 90 or 180 degrees, putting the hinges on the side or top. Use a binder clip or caribiner to secure it closed if the new position is awkward for the old closure.

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

alucinor posted:

I bet I can tell you why he's been hesitant - a door in that position can catch their feet and pinch them quite badly. He's probably been hurt before and it makes him scared to try it again. Get some pliers and open the hinges so you can turn it around 90 or 180 degrees, putting the hinges on the side or top. Use a binder clip or caribiner to secure it closed if the new position is awkward for the old closure.

Yeah I was actually thinking about doing that. But normally I make a safe little ramp for him so he could get out easily if he wanted to, I just didn't use it for the picture :)

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I read that pine needles are safe for rabbits, but mine seems to eating an lot of them. He found the xmas tree and started eating a lot of needles off the floor. As an experiment I lowered a branch down and he stood up and started eating that too. He has plenty of food, pellets, and water in his cage. I broke off a dead branch to put near his cage just to see if he just wants to chew on something, but he has ignored all other sticks before.

And an odd story. There is a patch of ripped carpet where my room meets the hallway. One day he comes up and starts digging at it. I yell at him and he pauses but keeps going. I get up to move him and he dances away with that bouncing sideways head waving thing. He ends up doing this a couple more times until Im standing next to the patch. He comes back, creeps slowly up to it, and looking right at me starts digging. I move and he dances away. He comes back, looking at me, and slowly moves his paw to dig again. Before he touches it and before I even move he dances away to his cage. I have a weird rabbit.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Pine, from what I've heard, is terrible for rabbits due to the oils in pine, either as bedding use or them eating it.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

alucinor posted:

I'll ask my vet student bunny friend to confirm, but in my experience, it just shows more in some individuals. I tend to think of these guys as very laid back (or, I tend to see it more in very laid back individuals), so maybe he's just spending more time highly relaxed. I wouldn't worry about it, just keep observing him. Does it change when he changes from being active to inactive and vice versa or does it persist through many activities for a long period of time?

It doesn't seem to be out more or less at certain times and it is almost always at least a bit visible. He is a very laid back bunny. It might be a bit more visible when he is relaxing and less so when active, but I think those two things are close to the same for him. :shobon:

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CampingCarl posted:

And an odd story. There is a patch of ripped carpet where my room meets the hallway. One day he comes up and starts digging at it. I yell at him and he pauses but keeps going. I get up to move him and he dances away with that bouncing sideways head waving thing. He ends up doing this a couple more times until Im standing next to the patch. He comes back, creeps slowly up to it, and looking right at me starts digging. I move and he dances away. He comes back, looking at me, and slowly moves his paw to dig again. Before he touches it and before I even move he dances away to his cage. I have a weird rabbit.

Ahaha, I think your bun is interpreting this little exchange as a game if he's doing binkies in response. Kinda like a sort of "capture the flag" but instead it's "dig the carpet."

He just wants to play. :3:

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

CampingCarl posted:

My bun Pixel totally does this with my mom. Pixel 'owns' the den area and there's a futon in there for watching tv and such, and Pix will wait until she sees my mom walk past the den to hop up on the futon, and every time she does so my mom will yell at her and Pixel even has enough sass to wiggle her tail while peeking over her shoulder when she runs off. She's such a little brat and she knows it :p

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

alucinor posted:

There's one in Montreal who has been there since September 1. If that's too far, contact that organization and ask about closer rabbit rescues who may not use Petfinder - they might have angoras themselves, or they might work with this shelter to arrange a cross-province transport to you.

Oh hey, I didn't realize Lona was so special. :) She's pretty cute. I think she was in foster for a couple of months, though, since I just noticed her in the shelter recently.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Fenarisk posted:

Pine, from what I've heard, is terrible for rabbits due to the oils in pine, either as bedding use or them eating it.

I can't really find any source for this. Can anyone confirm/deny?

quote:

He just wants to play.

I figured that, just I wish I knew how to get him to start it somewhere else. Its hard to tell when he wants to play or when he is just digging things.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

CampingCarl posted:

I can't really find any source for this. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Softwood beddings (cedar and pine) are known to be toxic to all small animals and can cause respiratory problems.

As for actual pine needles... there doesn't appear to be any consensus. Pine needles aren't listed on the toxic plants list linked from the HRS, but Googling turns up lots of sites that warn against actively feeding them to bunnies. Nibbling a few needles should be OK, I think it's the wood itself that poses a risk (also, don't let them drink the water out of the bottom)

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I owe some dudes in this thread a beer. Last night, Camille was laying on her belly weird or trying to sit funny, like she didn't want her stomach to leave the cage bottom. I started tempting her with food, and she wouldn't eat anything. One eVet visit later, I find out that she was in stasis, but I caught it so early that it was easily treatable.

Camille is doing great today, happily wolfing down all the food I give her and pooping up a storm. Pepper's pretty excited that she gets all the extra food I've been giving Camille, too, so she counts it as a win. I wouldn't have known what the hell with Camille laying funny though if you guys hadn't told me that it was a way bunnies try to settle their hurting bellies.

Here, this thread needs more pictures anyway.

okiecompy posted:

and every time she does so my mom will yell at her and Pixel even has enough sass to wiggle her tail while peeking over her shoulder when she runs off. She's such a little brat and she knows it :p

I've wondered about this, because I've seen Camille wag her tail. Pepper doesn't seem to be able to do it. Is this honestly something that bunnies can do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Actually I have read (on the HRS I believe) that pine needles are fine but will turn your rabbits urine a fluorescent orange.

Speaking of urine, my rabbit is spraying all the time now... it's very annoying. I usually am the target of the spray at least once daily. He only seems to spray in this one location otherwise, the carpet in my living room, would a litter box there help? I'll need to wait until the new year to have him neutered so some temporary solutions would be cool.

At least I know he loves me, from the constant spraying to the little bruises from his constant grooming of my leg. :)