Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

That makes sense from their perspective. Collecting loot is an important facet of the game to a lot of players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Sweet. Looks like Dark Sun will be getting its own book of monsters!

On the downside: It looks like there won't be a specific book for players and one for DMs, there'll be only one book for both.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh no I have to buy fewer books! Good news if you ask me.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope
I dont think a dedicated Player book is really needed. Since they already said no new class, that takes out a good chunk of what would be put in the PH book. Seems like all the creatures that would have been put in the campaign book will just be filled by player content instead.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I almost wonder if the Campaign Guides weren't selling enough to make them worthwhile. The Player's Guide had actual content in it, and what was in the Campaign Setting that you couldn't make up or get off the Internet.

Either way August 17 is way too far away.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
That works out great, Dark Sun always had a ton of oddball monsters.

Theres also the token adventure:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/253890000

Now that Tyr is free of Kalak the Sorcerer-King, opportunity abounds in the city and the surrounding wastes. But some see Kalak’s fall as the beginning of Tyr’s end, and the unpatrolled deserts nearby are rife with danger. Outlaws openly defy the city’s Revolutionary Council and threaten outlying holdings. If Tyr is to thrive, heroes must arise to tame the lawlessness and evil that threatens the free city.

This stand-alone D&D adventure is designed to take characters from 2nd to 5th level.

Looks like we get a reset of the story. That sure beats a 100-year leap. That also means all the old DS books might be very relevant. Having a 'Revolutionary Council' is slightly different, 2e Tyr had a 'Council of Advisors' led by characters from the line of novels they have re-released.

Would still like to see a DS game here on TG. If I wasnt already DMing a 4e game I would run one.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 15, 2009

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

ritorix posted:

Looks like we get a reset of the story. That sure beats a 100-year leap. That also means all the old DS books might be very relevant. Having a 'Revolutionary Council' is slightly different, 2e Tyr had a 'Council of Advisors' led by characters from the line of novels they have re-released.

I'm glad they're rolling it back to right after Freedom. I bet the Revolutionary Council/Council of Advisors thing is simply a name change. Revolutionary Council sounds cooler. Of course, it could also imply that Tithian has been retconned away, though I doubt that since they did re-release the Prism Pentad.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

PeterWeller posted:

I'm glad they're rolling it back to right after Freedom. I bet the Revolutionary Council/Council of Advisors thing is simply a name change. Revolutionary Council sounds cooler. Of course, it could also imply that Tithian has been retconned away, though I doubt that since they did re-release the Prism Pentad.

Why do you want him retconned? He was a great villain.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

Why do you want him retconned? He was a great villain.

I didn't mean to imply that at all. I love Tithian, especially when he has Sascha and Wynan gabbering around with him.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

I didn't mean to imply that at all. I love Tithian, especially when he has Sascha and Wynan gabbering around with him.

I misread your post, and didn't realize you were speculating about the name change for the coucil of advisors. My bad.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
For anyone not following the 4e Dark Sun designer's blog, heres the new bits:

-A ton of DS info will hit us on Jan 28-31 during a convention

-No bonus stats at character creation, thats an artifact from 2e that isnt really needed now. "12 is the new 15". Also helps portability to other settings.

-Dragonborn are dray. "The dragonborn (or dray) are a race of sorcerous merchants, hired spellcasters, pragmatic mercenaries, and maybe even slavers. They're not especially numerous, so you don't see a lot of them around. Their clans are like small, insular merchant houses, and they might serve as deal-brokers and moneylenders: disliked in many places, but regarded as very useful to have around." :jewish:

After reading his description of new dray, I like it. It fits.

-Belgoi. "The belgoi are psionic *fey*, not natural humanoids. That's why they have their supernatural powers and the strange but flavorful focus of a bell for their mental summons. The Feywild of Athas is in pretty poor shape (more on that in another post, I guess), so centuries ago the belgoi abandoned it and became roving nomadic predators in the deserts."

ritorix fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 17, 2009

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Rich Baker has a new blog post up talking about Tyr and the Ringing Mountains here:

http://community.wizards.com/wotc_richbaker/blog/2009/12/08/free_tyr_and_the_mountains_of_athas

Things of Note:

-The Campaign Guide will feature Tyr as a free city; the starting date for campaigns is just weeks after the revolution. The logic behind this is that it was kind of silly to put all this detail in about a city state, and then throw it all out the door with the first adventure and novel.

-The Ringing Mountains are really tall-- like the Andes tall. The navigable passes are all above 10,000 feet. Keep the Andes in mind because they drew a lot of inspiration for the Halflings of the Forest Ridge's backstory from them.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

PeterWeller posted:

Rich Baker has a new blog post up talking about Tyr and the Ringing Mountains

Yeah its looking better and better. Back when I used the Ringing Mountains it was dangerous in the sense that the halflings were vicious to outsiders, and the rest of the forest would eat you. Sometimes literally. You dont get to be a 500-year-old tree on Athas without eating a few muls.

The new primal focus means lots of halfling barbarians, which is awesome.

The Tyr timeline makes me want to write a short dungeon crawl for the slaying of Kalak, to introduce players to Tyr and the setting. Could even have a couple pre-made paragon tier characters for Agis, Sadira, Rikus, etc. You have the Heartwood Spear, you are in his ziggurat, go get em before he kills the whole city. After that you know why Tyr is how it is, so its back to your 1st level characters for the full campaign.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
New thread title: Dark Sun, Dragonborn pass the dradle.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

ritorix posted:

The Tyr timeline makes me want to write a short dungeon crawl for the slaying of Kalak, to introduce players to Tyr and the setting. Could even have a couple pre-made paragon tier characters for Agis, Sadira, Rikus, etc. You have the Heartwood Spear, you are in his ziggurat, go get em before he kills the whole city. After that you know why Tyr is how it is, so its back to your 1st level characters for the full campaign.

That's a pretty good idea. Honestly though, I'm pretty sure I'm just going to dust off A Little Knowledge and Freedom. Nothing gets players in the right mood for Dark Sun than starting them out as slaves, freeing them, and then the minute they get to a city, enslaving them all over again.

Succulent Thighs
Mar 22, 2003

ritorix posted:

This sounds badass.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Wizards ran a chat last night with Rich Baker, who is working on Dark Sun.
http://community.wizards.com/dungeonsanddragons/blog/2009/12/17/transcript_of_the_chat_with_rich_baker!

Here are the Dark Sun bits:

Timeline posted:

Is Dark Sun 4E doing a time-jump like FR did? If so, is it going backward, forward, or with just a totally different history altogether?

Depends on what era you were playing in. We’re going back to the timeframe of the original 1991 boxed set, which is like a 10-year jump back if you were playing in the post-Prism Pentad era.

We view this new edition as “Ultimate Dark Sun” rather like Marvel Comics’ Ultimate versions of its classic titles. It’s a chance to distill the setting into its purest and best (we hope) presentation.
Already basically known to us.

Regarding new classes and class options posted:

What new classes can we expect to see in the Campaign Guide?

The short answer is: No new classes. We looked long and hard about whether a gladiator class or a templar class was warranted. We finally decided that we could provide good gladiators and templars with the tools existing in our array of classes already. For example, we have a gladiator build for the fighter class. It’s hard to imagine a fighter that wouldn’t be a good gladiator or vice versa.

We have some other NEW and AWESOME design tech at work too, but I can’t reveal too much about it yet, sorry. That bit has to wait until D&D XP, I’m afraid. Suffice it to say: You’ll be happy about how you can gladiator-up for Dark Sun.
The phrase "design tech" sounds almost Scientological.

A race of savage mantis-men posted:

How the heck didyou make Thri-Kreen playable in 4th?

Good Question! We had to pick the qualities and abilities that we felt were most central to the thri-kreen, and let other things slide.

For example, back in 2e thri-kreen had Natural Armor, awesome jumping, natural attacks, a paralyzing bite, didn’t sleep, had multi-arm weapon use, so on, and so on.

We decided to drop the bite, treat two of your arms as smaller/weaker so you don’t normally quad-wield with them. And we decided to go with the more upright/humanoid appearance from #e’s MM2 thri-kreen, as opposed to the giant mantis look of old Dark Sun. We used the tech of racial paragon paths to delay some of the abilities that would otherwise be hard to balance with other races.

So in short: They’re nerfed as compared to 2e, but they’re a solid and balanced choice for 4e campaigns. And we hope they’re still true to the vision/intent of the mantis warrior.
This excites me, personally. I was hoping they'd do something like that with the extra arms: making them incapable of wielding weapons or shields, even if they could still hold things (e.g. potions, possibly implements?)

Character option transportability to other settings posted:

What can we expect from the Dark Sun character creation rules? Specficially, will character made in this setting be compatible with other settings?

The answer: We think there’s a real value to the Dark Sun DM in better portability across settings. We want you to be able to drop core monsters in your Dark Sun games more easily, and to be able to import Dark Sun characters into core games, if that's what you want to do.

It was really tough to do that back in 2e with the uber-ability scores and level bump and awesome wild talent, so we retreated a bit from that, and set it up so that a 1st level Dark Sun character is a great way to start your game, and about as good as other 1st level characters. (Worth noting that core D&D has been improving the power/heroic-ness of 1st level characters for a long time. So these days 1st level characters are a lot like 3rd level characters were back in 2e’s heyday.)

Dark Sun characters do have a couple important edges. For example, we recommend the use of the Inherent Enhancement bonust touched on in the DMG 2. But otherwise they’re on par with the core characters.
No surprises here. Everything is core.

Weapons of Athas posted:

Can you say if there will be any new weapons in the DS campaign guide? Any examples?

Yes, we made sure to include a selection of the classic Dark Sun unique weapons. We’ve got the Cahulaks, carrikals, gouges, and a couple of others like the thri-kreen chatkcha, the widows blade, the dragon’s paw… it’s a pretty good selection I think.
I can't remember any of these except for chatchkas, which are admittedly pretty excellent. I wonder how they'll nerf those, since they used to be what would currently be called stout, heavy thrown double weapons.

Dragon Kings, PC and NPC posted:

Can we expect a Dragon King Epic Destiny, and if so, any hints on what it might entail?

Answer: Yes, we have a dragon king epic destiny.

It’s not quite as crunchy as the old Dragon Kings dragon rules were, in that epic destinies really only offer about 4-5 distinct mechanical features. But it’s a pretty good nod to the old material.

Plus, NPC dragon kings aren’t really bound by the same character advancement rules that PCs follow. So they’re free to be their own thing. (That’s a 4e philosophy for handling NPCs at work).
I like how he almost apologises for the lack of ludicrous complexity from the 2E rules, with different identifying traits--and if I recall correctly, mechanical modifiers--for each of the 10 levels of achieving dragonhood.

I think he means 'divine' posted:

How will Dark Sun handle being forsaken by the gods and the diving power source?

This is a place where the 4e rules really help us out. 2e Dark Sun really suffered from a dearth of characters in the leader (healer) role. Most elemental clerics were mediocre healers at best, and not many people wanted to play a templar to be the party healer.

So in 4e, you can have warlords and bards and ardents (well, you’ll see them soon) anchoring your party in the leader role. With gods absent from the setting, it feels like the best implementation of the setting to remove the divine power source, and let people explore the alternatives.
One of the advantages of 4E's modular, explicit categories is that you can do things like this: the removal of an entire set of classes antithematic to your setting, without calling each class out by name.

Defiling posted:

Any insight into how Defiling will work in relation to Preserving?

We looked at this one long and hard, and here’s what we came up with. Preserving is the default. If you just cast a spell and don’t say anything, you’re assumed to preserve. However all arcane characters have a new Defiling at-will power, which you can use when you use daily powers, at the cost of hurting your allies (and killing plants, of course). We set it on dailies so it wouldn’t come up with every single spell you used, and we had to tie it in to some mechanical effect other than what is effectively a story penalty (killing plants).

So all arcane characters have this temptation just hanging there for them, saying, C’mon, you know you wanna…. We think it makes defiling play like it reads in the books: you’re tempted to do it when you think you need the power.
Not how I would've done it, but a fine solution. I do enjoy that the temptation only grows as the character rises in level, because more they'll possess more daily powers. Instead of it being a once-a-day decision, as at level 1, it becomes something closer to once-an-encounter.

Timeline, again posted:

As the time line moves along in DS, will the overall story differ from the prism pentad, or will the historical events be largely unchaged.

We view the new edition of Dark Sun as being more of a world snapshot than the start of a big new story arc. We wanted to create a snapshot in which the events of the Prism Pentad *could* take place but didn’t have to, if the DM wants to tell a different story from this starting point.
The perfect answer. Really, no setting except Forgotten Realms (being the novel-selling cash cow it is) ever needs published sources that advance the timeline beyond the most recent setting-summary guide.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What the heck is D&D XP?

Also this can't come out fast enough. Did they ever mention anything about Warforged, or is it safe to assume that they won't be a part of the world? I really liked my Nomad character from that DS game that almost got off the ground.

pre:
       I TOTALLY SYMPATHIZE WITH YOU.  LET'S GET A PINT OF HAAGEN-DAZS AND TALK ABOUT OUR FEELINGS.
          / 

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Squizzle posted:

The perfect answer. Really, no setting except Forgotten Realms (being the novel-selling cash cow it is) ever needs published sources that advance the timeline beyond the most recent setting-summary guide.

oh thank god, the worst thing about dark sun was that all the later stuff had to work in some idiot's fanfiction-quality plot into everything

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Like the "Tribe of One" series?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What the heck is D&D XP?

Also this can't come out fast enough. Did they ever mention anything about Warforged, or is it safe to assume that they won't be a part of the world? I really liked my Nomad character from that DS game that almost got off the ground.

pre:
       I TOTALLY SYMPATHIZE WITH YOU.  LET'S GET A PINT OF HAAGEN-DAZS AND TALK ABOUT OUR FEELINGS.
          / 

Yeah, I was disappointed that never got off the ground, I was really pleased with my idealistic civil servant in Dark Sun's bleak setting, and the other players' concepts were fun too. Maybe someone will make a Dark Sun game when the books come out, and we could all get in on it again. No sense in letting those characters go to waste.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

That's a pretty good idea. Honestly though, I'm pretty sure I'm just going to dust off A Little Knowledge and Freedom. Nothing gets players in the right mood for Dark Sun than starting them out as slaves, freeing them, and then the minute they get to a city, enslaving them all over again.

I DMed a Dark Sun game the last time I played D&D (some 8-10 years ago) and the flipbook adventures were pretty awesome. They had visuals for the players and really hit home with the 'harsh world' philosophy. The only problem I have with them is their insistence on following the novels and making the Prism Pentad a bunch of heroes in your campaign that overshadow your own group.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Reveilled posted:

Yeah, I was disappointed that never got off the ground, I was really pleased with my idealistic civil servant in Dark Sun's bleak setting, and the other players' concepts were fun too. Maybe someone will make a Dark Sun game when the books come out, and we could all get in on it again. No sense in letting those characters go to waste.

Oh Nomad's been saved on my computer. As soon as a new DS game is there he'll be dropped right down.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I DMed a Dark Sun game the last time I played D&D (some 8-10 years ago) and the flipbook adventures were pretty awesome. They had visuals for the players and really hit home with the 'harsh world' philosophy. The only problem I have with them is their insistence on following the novels and making the Prism Pentad a bunch of heroes in your campaign that overshadow your own group.

It's really only bad in Freedom and The Road to Urik. The three adventures that follow split off into their own plot, and the PCs get to save the world in their own ways. And really, in RtU, the players really get to be the heroes. It's them, not Rikus, who get to outwit and outmaneuver the Urikite army, and the successful battle that The Crimson Legion opens with is the direct result of the players' actions in the adventure.

That interview with Rich that Squizzle posted fills me with happy feelings. I'm glad "simple, yet flavorful" seems to be the design philosophy they're employing when deciding how to incorporate all the little unique bits of Dark Sun. Simply saying, "no divine classes," is such a better approach than whatever hack job they would have had to perform to turn the divine classes into elemental classes.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

PeterWeller posted:

That interview with Rich that Squizzle posted fills me with happy feelings. I'm glad "simple, yet flavorful" seems to be the design philosophy they're employing when deciding how to incorporate all the little unique bits of Dark Sun. Simply saying, "no divine classes," is such a better approach than whatever hack job they would have had to perform to turn the divine classes into elemental classes.

My only main question is how they are going to show off the Elemental Clerics now? I know there are going to be (I imagine two primal and two divine) divine and primal classes in PHB3, we already know of the Seeker, do you think Elemental Clerics or whatever they call them will be an exception Divine class that is let into Dark Sun but none others, or will it be a Primal class? (Or will it actually be an Elemental class, which were foreshadowed a while ago but don't seem to be in PHB3)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I wonder if they decided to drop the Elemental Clerics completely. They always struck me as a hack to fit clerics into the setting because in 2E, you needed clerics. Their place in the world could easily be taken over by Primal classes-- maybe Shamans with reflavored spirit companions.

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot
It sounds like they dropped the power source and all of its classes for the setting, which is refreshing if the case.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Kerison posted:

It sounds like they dropped the power source and all of its classes for the setting, which is refreshing if the case.

It sets a really great precedent for later campaigns. One of the things I was (slightly) worried about was that new settings would be hamstrung by being required to support every Power Source and Class released up to that point.

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

Hey, this is kind of a lame request but could someone post the 2e stats for the Nightmare Beast? Thanks!

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

AndItsAllGone posted:

Hey, this is kind of a lame request but could someone post the 2e stats for the Nightmare Beast? Thanks!

That was badass for 2e. Not in the statblock, but it can also drain levels to heal itself for the HP lost by the victim.

"Nightmare beasts are also capable of magical and psionic at-
tacks. Each round, a nightmare beast may attack normally, and
use either one of its spells or one of its psionic powers. The crea-
ture is able to use the following spells, twice a day, once per
round: fireball, lightning bolt, chain lightning, dispel magic,
wall of fire, incendiary cloud, death fog, and cloudkill. A night-
mare beast is immune to the effects of it own spells and all its
spells are cast at 10th level of experience. All spells used by
nightmare beasts are considered use of defiler magic."

So basically you had to fight the 30' beasty in the middle of its own death fog. It was basically the Dark Sun tarasque.

edit: btw, the "Kill Kalak" dungeon delve is going to happen. I finished the pregenned characters, posted them here. The formatting was a bitch for those forums so I wont redo it for here, but take a look if you want to see Rikus, Sadira, etc in 4e form.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 23, 2009

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

quote:

edit: btw, the "Kill Kalak" dungeon delve is going to happen. I finished the pregenned characters, posted them here. The formatting was a bitch for those forums so I wont redo it for here, but take a look if you want to see Rikus, Sadira, etc in 4e form.

I think that Dark Pact Warlock was a really good choice for Tithian.

Just make sure that all the voluntary damage from his powers lands on Agis like in the novels.;)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!
Is it just me, or does Warlock seem a really good fit for the Templar class? Maybe with some leader-flavoured Pacts with the various Dragon Kings?

Also, I wonder if they're holding off on making Elemental Clerics a variation of the Divine Clerics because of the supposedly-planned Elemental power source.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Hodgepodge posted:

Is it just me, or does Warlock seem a really good fit for the Templar class? Maybe with some leader-flavoured Pacts with the various Dragon Kings?

I pretty much feel the same way. I don't think they even need any kind of Leader powers. Even though they were healer types in the 2E rules, the fluff indicated they spent more of their magical powers smiting poo poo in different ways.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

PeterWeller posted:

I pretty much feel the same way. I don't think they even need any kind of Leader powers. Even though they were healer types in the 2E rules, the fluff indicated they spent more of their magical powers smiting poo poo in different ways.

Maybe a new pact boon that grants temp hit points to allies when someone is smitted?

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
Honestly I'd be interested in Warlocks reskinned as Priests serving vestiges of the old gods, reskinning King Elidyr to Kord or Zutwa to Sehanine, or whatever fits best. Same basic mechanics as vestige-pact warlocks.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to see how the Gladiator class will be adapted into the Fighter. I supposed it could be a whole new talent.

Dark Sun previews are making me really tempted to go to the D&D Experience this year.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Theres already a bunch of Gladiator feats for the fighter from a Dragon article, there really isn't a need for more.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Gomi posted:

Honestly I'd be interested in Warlocks reskinned as Priests serving vestiges of the old gods, reskinning King Elidyr to Kord or Zutwa to Sehanine, or whatever fits best. Same basic mechanics as vestige-pact warlocks.

The thing is, the old gods probably never existed in the traditional D&D sense. The fluff seems to indicate that the priests that existed in Athas's past didn't have any supernatural powers. Psionics and Arcane Magic were the historically significant supernatural powers. Like I said earlier, the Elemental Clerics and Druids seem almost tacked on, so their necessary mechanical roles could be filled.

quote:

Theres already a bunch of Gladiator feats for the fighter from a Dragon article, there really isn't a need for more.

Those will probably be reprinted in the Campaign Guide.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Super Waffle posted:

Yes, I'm aware of the combat style feats, expanded weapon proficiencies, and "working the crowd" rules from Dragon. I'm curious as to whether or not there will be a new build. However, that seems kind of unlikely as it gets too close to the "no new classes" part of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Paging all recruits.

• Locked thread