Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

For all of you pussies who started playing with 3.0, Dark Sun is the raddest campaign setting ever created. This ain’t your grand pappy’s fantasy. I mean how many times do you see a fantasy world where a massive campaign of genocide was actually successful, let alone a whole series of them like on Athas?

The setting was summed up pretty well in the 4E discussion thread, so I’m not going to rehash it:

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

What's different about it?
The world of Athas is a post apocalyptic setting. Most of the world's vegetation and water have been destroyed by excessive use of arcane magic. The land is now stripped, barren, and harsh. Kingdoms have dissolved into feuding city-states. Each city-state is protection by god-like sorcerer-king.

Most arcane casters are called defilers. Any casting by a defiler turns nearby plants to ash, boils water, and sterilizes the soil.

Metal and water on Athas are incredibly scarce. Sorcerer-kings devote great resources and manpower to protecting their wells and oases.

There are no deities in Athas. The gods abandoned the world during the decline of its green age. Most people worship of pay lip service to their rulers. A few clerics draw power from the raw elemental planes. Druids are the most stalwart defenders of nature.

The races of Athas are different as a result of the harsh environment. Traditionally, all player races have higher bonuses to their starting attributes and start at 3rd level to reflect their harsh upbringing. All people must be ready to fight in order to protect their villages from marauding elves, giants or worse desert horrors. All racial also have inherent psionic abilities and start with a wild talent.

There is a caste system made up of the templars who serve the sorcerer-kings, the nobility, freemen, merchants and slaves. Characters can be of any class, and even the highest ranking templar can be sold into slavery for their mistakes.

It is rare for one to place ideals such as honor, justice and selflessness above their day to day survival, but heroes can be found. Deeds can be as small as helping slaves escape to a free village and defending an oasis from cannibalistic haflings to searching ruins for relics of the green age or assassinating an influential noble.

The world was so bad rear end you needed to start at level 3 just to have a shot at making it out the gate of your city state, and even then it recommended you have four characters in reserve. It needed 10 levels of spells to cover how sweet it was. Everything had psychic powers, even a lot of the plants. The setting was so harsh they had to make it nearly impossible to travel to Athas from the outside so none of those pansy rear end Greyhawk characters accidently ended up there only to be eaten by a halfling.

For those willing to step up to the challenge, there was plenty of need for heroes. After all most everything in the world was out to kill you, you had no gods to turn to, and every king was literally genocidal. That is, of course, as long as another "hero" didn’t think you were a threat and send a pack of assassins after you.

This thread is dedicated to the discussion of all things Athasian, and how much they own hard. If you want to talk about Forgotten Realms or Ebberon you can take that poo poo back to elementary school because this is a Man’s setting. If you don't know anything about Dark Sun, and think you can handle how much it rules, ask in here.

Also:

PeterWeller posted:

That dude is Agis of Asticles. He don't give a gently caress because he can kill poo poo with his mind.

Verklemptomaniac posted:

ManMythLegend posted:

So this weekend I decided to complete the city-state flag project I started a while ago. Here they are for any interested parties:

Balic:

Draaj:

Gulg:

Nibenay:

Raam:

Tyr (Pre death of Kalak):

Urik:

Also happened across some French guy's site where he had posted his flags for all the major merchant houses. I figured some of you might be interested so here they are:

Inka:

Mke:

Shom:

Stel:

Tsalaxa:

Vordon:

Wavir:

And here's a minor house flag I made for a short lived game:
Tomblador:

Monday Averted posted:

I created a few banners for each city for when I create each city's summary for my game's forum. Posting them here in case anyone wants em:

PICTURES!

Click here for the full 1114x810 image.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In for this crazy ride.

'Sup 5d4 attributive rolling, starting campaigns at level 3 with a wild psionic talent, dudes?

Question: I once played a Dark Sun module that contained a trio of dwarves called the "Hurly Burly Brothers." Did my DM make that up when we were 12?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

In for this crazy ride.

'Sup 5d4 attributive rolling, starting campaigns at level 3 with a wild psionic talent, dudes?

Question: I once played a Dark Sun module that contained a trio of dwarves called the "Hurly Burly Brothers." Did my DM make that up when we were 12?

This is the closest I could find:

http://www.patman.org/ADD/resources/dungeons.asp
Issue #52 Volume IX, Number 4 (March/April 1995)
HURLY-BURLY BROTHERS, THE
AD&D adventure, 4-6 characters of levels 3-5
Written by: Kevin Wilson
Artwork by: David Kooharian
Any wilderness, temperate
6 pages

Description: A giant roc snatches one of the heroes and drops him into a specially-prepared trap prepared by two ogre brothers named Hurly and Burly.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Did anybody else ever feel like Dark Sun might feel better without psionics? I realize that they're very integrated with the core setting, but at the same time I've never felt like removing them would change very much about the setting itself. I always found the thematic reason for their excessive use sort of flimsy, though I'm probably biased because I always mentally associated psionics with "high magic" over-the-top fantasy games and Dark Sun is more Warhammer-style grimdark stuff.

EDIT: That aside, I'm looking forward to seeing this in 4E. One of the 3E games I enjoyed running the most was a sandbox-style campaign set in Raam following Abbalech's death and basically throwing out any further canon explaining who might have won that conflict.

Baku fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 4, 2009

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Dark Sun was actually the setting my dad started me on when I was a kid learning D&D, thanks to the other thread I called him and asked if I could get his books from wherever (he had tons, including some of the crappy novels), and tomorrow I'm getting a big box of books out of storage and reliving my favorite setting.

Dark Sun-:smith: world, :unsmith: memories.

For real though, this is my favorite setting, I'm a sucker for good old 'the world wants to gently caress you like a prison bitch and all you can do is claw and bite your way to the top' settings, and this does it so drat well. This is a setting where my parties have killed others for a canteen of water and didn't even warrant a 'what the gently caress is wrong with you?' for it.

Also, Thri-Kreen are pretty much the best race

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

This is the closest I could find:

http://www.patman.org/ADD/resources/dungeons.asp
Issue #52 Volume IX, Number 4 (March/April 1995)
HURLY-BURLY BROTHERS, THE
AD&D adventure, 4-6 characters of levels 3-5
Written by: Kevin Wilson
Artwork by: David Kooharian
Any wilderness, temperate
6 pages

Description: A giant roc snatches one of the heroes and drops him into a specially-prepared trap prepared by two ogre brothers named Hurly and Burly.

Our adventure was about guarding a caravan. He would've needed some pretty big rocs to pick up our half-giant gladiators. Also, we were probably too wacked out on Mountain Dew to finish at that point.

I blame that night for the cavities in my second set of molars.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Did anybody else ever feel like Dark Sun might feel better without psionics? I realize that they're very integrated with the core setting, but at the same time I've never felt like removing them would change very much about the setting itself. I always found the thematic reason for their excessive use sort of flimsy, though I'm probably biased because I always mentally associated psionics with "high magic" over-the-top fantasy games and Dark Sun is more Warhammer-style grimdark stuff.

I really disagree about this. I think that psionics is really what sets it apart from the other game worlds. I think that the setting did a good job of seperating the "High Psionics" of The Order and formal Psionicists, from the in the gutter type that most people dealt with on a day to day basis. It really drives home that litterally everyone you meet is more dangerous then they seem on the surface. You can't say the same thing about magic. If you run into a dirt poor peasant in any setting the odds are really high that he's not going to start flinging fireballs all over the place.

Thematically I think it fits from an "evolutionary" aspect as well. Living in a world that's literally gone to hell has driven most life on the planet to find some sort of leg up that will help them stick. An animal with Danger Sense is a lot more likely to survive then one without it, and after a couple of millenia of survival of the fittest it would make sense there wouldn't be too many non-psionic things still kicking around.

Plus I'm gay for old school psionics, so I may be biased.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
So why do Dark Sun dragons look so weird?

Phandy
Jan 14, 2006
A vote for me is a vote for pedro

shotgunbadger posted:

For real though, this is my favorite setting, I'm a sucker for good old 'the world wants to gently caress you like a prison bitch and all you can do is claw and bite your way to the top' settings, and this does it so drat well. This is a setting where my parties have killed others for a canteen of water and didn't even warrant a 'what the gently caress is wrong with you?' for it.

Holy crap you're right. I'm reading through a Dark Sun module and here's an exerpt:

The mul whips the PC unmercifully for 2d6 rounds or until the character lies unconscious. If the PC (or anyone) fights back, the guards do not respond for 2 rounds. If the PC fights back, he is hauled off and thrown into the Pit a dried-out well used for punishment. If the PC is unconscious, his friends can drag him to the shade then go back to work. Thereafter, bad blood exists between the overseer and the PC.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Super Waffle posted:

Because they're not dragons in the traditional sense.

Each one is an almost god-like, evil, Wizard/Psionicist who has used dangerous and eldritch magic to transform into one.

They own.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Super Waffle posted:

This is more appropriately phrased as "why do non-Dark Sun dragons look so sissy?"

Thri-kreen broke me of my elf addiction. I'm so glad this is the next setting to be released.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I'm going to post this again. Keep in mind this is the requirement to achieve the first three forms in the picture below, and you have to meet them for each stage. The mid and upper tiers are even crazier.

Defiler Metamorphosis Spell posted:

Low (21st, 22nd, and 23rd levels): When approaching these levels, the defiler is merely beginning his metamorphosis toward dragon form. The preparation time at these levels must be at least one year, during which time the caster must have access to ancient documents, tablets, and scrolls that have never been studied by another defiler. Such materials must be discovered by the defiler or his minions and must be studied for at least eight hours every day for the entire year. Acquisition of such documents will usually be a quest in and of itself; once used, these documents cannot be used for this spell again. The material components must include vast riches (at least 10,000 gp worth of jewels, gems, coins, or artistic treasures), a vast structure where the transformation might take place, and no fewer than 1,000 Hit Dice worth of living creatures for the life-leeching process. The riches vanish and the living creatures are slain one heartbeat after the defiler begins casting. The structure, which must cost more than 50,000 gp to build, is not destroyed and may be used again to cast this spell when attaining all three of the low levels. The spell is cast from the deep interior of the structure, where the caster will actually transform — no other beings may be present at the instant of casting. The casting time is a full 24 hours; any interruption results in spell failure.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Pfox posted:

Thri-kreen broke me of my elf addiction. I'm so glad this is the next setting to be released.

Thri-kreen have a bit of an elf addiction problem themselves.

They eat them.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
To reach Dragon levels you have to be REALLY into being a Defiler, not in the 'meh, gently caress the world *fireball*' way but in the "ARG I JUST HATE THINGS THAT AREN'T DEAD AND BARREN SO MUCH" way. Dark Sun dragons are real dragons, they don't even give a gently caress about treasure they just want to gently caress poo poo up and rule their human slaves.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Not that I can remember any of them now, but I was sure that I'd found hints in some of the modules that Athas was the far future of Aeber-Toril (FR).

Mecha-Tech
Nov 3, 2008
The way I was introduced to this game was by a friend of mine. I usually play Clerics. We were going through spells for the game and once he explained the whole 'no gods' thing, he said something that put it into perspective.

"y'know create food and water?"

"Yeah?" I said.

"Cross them off your list. You don't have that. That spell doesn't exist in Dark Sun."

Oh poo poo.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Yeah the thing about Dark Sun dragons is there really arent any. No reds or golds or bronzes. Dragons are the evil result of life-sucking epic magical transformations which cause the death of thousands and the blighting of the world.

Or you could be an Avangian. It was the good counterpart, and included as a path for PCs to pursue and counter the world-destroying influence of the sorcerer-kings (the dragons). Of course if anyone found out you were going this route (or the dragon path) you would be a target for all the others to destroy; they didnt want competition.

Not that any real games actually reached that level. Its hard to get a 20th level (2e rules) wizard when you died at 5th level because your half-giant buddy got thirsty and went berserk.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Mecha-Tech posted:

The way I was introduced to this game was by a friend of mine. I usually play Clerics. We were going through spells for the game and once he explained the whole 'no gods' thing, he said something that put it into perspective.

"y'know create food and water?"

"Yeah?" I said.

"Cross them off your list. You don't have that. That spell doesn't exist in Dark Sun."

Oh poo poo.

To be honest this is why Dark Sun owns so hard, it makes you actually face the dangers you should face in most normal D&D quests. Yea once you reach the tomb of bad evil you have to deal with the stuff in it, but the fact that you have to go across a country to do it should mean something beyond 'welp Cleric better get create/purify food and water ready!'

In Dark Sun most of the fun was getting to the ancient and mysterious tomb before raiding it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

ritorix posted:

Not that any real games actually reached that level. Its hard to get a 20th level (2e rules) wizard when you died at 5th level because your half-giant buddy got thirsty and went berserk.

Level 20? No.

You had to reach level 20 as a Wizard, and then Dual Class for another 20 levels of Psionicist, before you even had the opportunity to consider taking on the 10 levels of mayhem becoming a dragon involved-- several whole levels of which you spent under the control of the DM, wrecking everyfuckingthing that got in your way.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
If there's one thing that did suck about Dark Sun, it's the tie-in novels. Primarily the fact that the merry band of Mary Sues chronicled within became the canonical movers and shakers of the setting. Annoying, but not so bad if you were just getting started with the second or third editions of the boxed set, but goddamn galling if your crew were the ones to turn Abalach-Re inside-out in one of the published adventures.

Actually, if there's two things that did suck about Dark Sun, it's the tie-in novels and the published adventures. They had these silly flip books, one of which was filled with encounters and narrative and poo poo, and the other which was a bunch of pictures like they did for the original Tomb of Horrors. Almost all of them had Earth-Shattering poo poo going down, too. If it wasn't Abalach-Re trying to fast-forward herself through the final stages of dragon transformation (getting killed by the PCs in the process), it was the world's first Avangion emerging. One of the supplement boxes, Mind-Lords of the Last Sea, detailed a city ruled by a trio of massively powerful psionicists. The bundled adventure detailed one of them going mad and having to be put down by the PCs-- just about completely invalidating everything else written about the city. The opening encounter started with the madman trying to teleport a PC's brains out, and the notes for the DM indicated that by the end of the first round, there should be at least one dead PC.

The setting itself though? loving amazing. Since Wizards' publishing regime doesn't revolve around lovely tie-ins and hard resetting canon every two years, and the 4E psionics rules are actually playable, I think the upcoming version's going to be even loving better than the original brown box.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
Something else to remember about the dragons- you know those Sorcerer Kings that are so powerful that clerics can worship them and get spells? The ones that rule the major city states? They're not fully leveled up dragons; they've each got at least one level of dragon, but there's only one known 30th level dragon. Those guys dominating most of the known world are only partway through the metamorphisis.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Bieeardo posted:

If there's one thing that did suck about Dark Sun, it's the tie-in novels. Primarily the fact that the merry band of Mary Sues chronicled within became the canonical movers and shakers of the setting. Annoying, but not so bad if you were just getting started with the second or third editions of the boxed set, but goddamn galling if your crew were the ones to turn Abalach-Re inside-out in one of the published adventures.

Actually, if there's two things that did suck about Dark Sun, it's the tie-in novels and the published adventures. They had these silly flip books, one of which was filled with encounters and narrative and poo poo, and the other which was a bunch of pictures like they did for the original Tomb of Horrors.

The Prism Pentad is the epitome of the kind of poo poo that dorks complain about with FR. That's some really world bending/Mary-Sue action there. On the other hand, those books cover a period of ten years, so it's not difficult to ignore them in your own campaign even if you play through the tie in adventures.

And gently caress you man! Those flip books are awesome, and they're one of the few things I've kept from my middle school 2E collection. The adventure from the original box set and Freedom make a wonderful introduction to the setting.

quote:

Psionics aren't fundamental to the post-apocalyptic D&D angle, but they are fundamental to the overall Dark Sun motif. They're so central in the fluff that while you could make a post-apocalypse D&D setting like Dark Sun without them, it would definitely not be Dark Sun because of the lack of them.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just in case there's any Grognard 3.5 holdouts, there's a complete 3.5 conversion of Dark Sun material at http://www.athas.org Basically, back in 2000, when WotC bought out TSR, the big Dark Sun fans were like, "Hey, can we convert this setting you aren't using?" and WotC was like, "Yeah, why not?" so there's a complete writeup with tons of work done, all free.

Also, everyone who's only read The Prism Pentad needs to go read Chronicles of Athas Books 1, 4 and 5. They're basically the story of Urik and Hamanu, from a street-level templar's eyes, and they're loving amazing and capture the helplessness of commoners and the vast brutality in Athas. Brazen Gambit, Cinnabar Shadows and The Rise and Fall of a Dragon King, which stands on its own and is pretty much the best piece of Athasian fiction ever written.

Also, someone dig up that post about resetting 4e Dark Sun in the Green Age, right when the genocides are starting off.

EDIT: 56k likes Dragonlance!

Brom art for RaFoaDK:

Mekillots and other pack animals:

Click here for the full 983x438 image.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 4, 2009

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
So, what this thread is trying to tell me is that Dark Sun is badass?

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
So when is this due to be released? Any clue? I was thinking about running my PCs through a normal campaign world then having an apocalypse and having them continue in the Dark Sun setting once it is released.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Apocron posted:

So when is this due to be released? Any clue? I was thinking about running my PCs through a normal campaign world then having an apocalypse and having them continue in the Dark Sun setting once it is released.

Not until next year unfortunately. Probably August or September if I had to pick a month.

If you're just looking for the post-apocolypse flavor but not the actual setting check out that athas.org link that tendrils posted earlier. It's pretty much everything you need to make a game like that feel "right" and it's all for free. Sure, you'll have to do some conversion, but it's 4E so it's not too bad.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I was originally planning to DM an original setting but now I'm just doing Dark Sun.

Edit: Dark Sun is superior to anything I could have come up with on my own else.

Tykero fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 4, 2009

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
So, Wikipedia has a short entry on the Sea of Silt and it sounds bad rear end. Please, goons, elaborate!

Wikipedia posted:

Water has long since ceased to flow on the surface and can only be found in the last sea, some oases, tiny lakes and streams, as well as west of the Ringing Mountains in the Forest Ridge. Not only are the mountains nearly impassable (the name Ringing Mountains refers to the lightheaded feeling one feels from lack of oxygen when traversing them) but the Forest Ridge is the home of halflings, which in the Dark Sun world are small creatures that live in tribes in the forest and do not hesitate to capture and eat intruders to their realm. This makes the prospect of going west across the mountains a near impossibility.

In the place of an ocean, the world of Athas, due to defiling magic, has a sea composed entirely of silt. The silt is incredibly dangerous as it is not capable of supporting the weight of humanoid creatures, and the particles themselves are extremely fine and get into the lungs quite easily. A strong wind from the Silt Sea can cause people from nearby villages to have to remain indoors all day, though with a certain amount of water some people often make use of a mask-like object called a silter which is placed over the mouth and nose and kept wet in order to help the user breathe.

The silt actually becomes hard-packed a few metres below the surface, but this is of no help to a human as the level within the first two metres is extremely loose and fine. However, giants often make use of the packed silt roads further below and can be seen wading chest-deep through the silt. Humans have sometimes built crafts that can navigate these silt roads much like giants do, though the going is much slower and both humans and giants still have to deal with the creatures that live in the sea.

There are also shipfloaters, which are psionicists who, through use of a large obsidian orb to focus their power, can telekinetically levitate and sail the ship as if it were sailing through water.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

tendrilsfor20 posted:

Also, someone dig up that post about resetting 4e Dark Sun in the Green Age, right when the genocides are starting off.

I never got to play it unfortunately, we are still doing a Realms campaign. I did stick to canon when putting this idea to paper, so it will give a good idea of Dark Sun ancient history. Thankfully they got away from the "everything is core" concept for Dark Sun; they wont be forcing things in that dont belong. Still, the idea below could be used for a generic fantasy campaign with that DS feel. Just with less deserts and thistyness.

Ritorix posted:

Back when I played Dark Sun (in the 2e days) I always thought a Green Age campaign would be fun, but never got around to it.

After seeing what happened to FR, I am kind of worried about what 4e could do to Dark Sun. The 'everything is core' concept wont work at all, and I doubt they are willing to flesh out Athas in the way it deserves while staying true to the setting we love.

There is however one way to do it, to fill a shadowy period of Athas's history and use the 'everything is core' concept while leaving classic Dark Sun as-is. Set it in the Green Age. The world is dying around you, entire civilizations fall as the world turns to dust. No gods exist to save you, no afterlife to reward you, but its not the end just yet. Its a setting of dark fantasy and desperate heroes, the last of their kind struggling against the near-unstoppable servants of Rajaat. This is the time of the Cleansing Wars, end of an Age.

The more I thought about this the more I liked it, until I had to write up a concept. So apologies if this has been done before, but to get it off my mind...

DS4E: The Cleansing Wars

Setting: Green Age, Athas, 100 years into the Cleansing Wars. The Tablelands. The Green Age is near its end, marked by warring city-states, holy crusades against monstrous races and strong racial distrust. These are the early stages of the Cleansing Wars. Soon vast armies will clash as Rajaat's insane dream is made reality. The land and its people are dieing. Forests are plentiful but retreating, desertification has begun, silt has started to clog the oceans, rivers are drying up. The Tablelands may soon fall, and when they do, all of Athas will perish.

Feel: This is not the original Dark Sun. That world has not yet been created, but it will if the Cleansing Wars run their course. The Green Age has a typical D&D fantasy feel, but in the middle of a world war. The war has gone on a hundred years and taken many forms, but has another thousand to go. No races are yet extinct, and the war's effects are not irreversible. In another century that may not be true.

Cosmology: In the ancient past, before even the Blue Age, primordials won control of the world and cut off access to the astral planes of the gods. Victorious, they have long-since returned to the Elemental planes. Athas is abandoned. While no true gods intercede on behalf of Athasians, religion is still common. The Divine Power source functions even with false gods based on the faith of believers, fueled by the innate psionics common on Athas. The faithful believe; their power of belief gives life to 'divine' powers. Some also draw power through the Elemental Chaos, Abyss and weirder sources. The Feywild still exists, not yet drained of its rampant life and discarded. So too does the Shadowfell, not yet targeted by a souls-defiling disaster and converted into the Grey.

Cities: All original major DS cities exist, some with a culture similar to their mirror in the original DS setting. Along with those are cities that are in ruins in the classic DS setting (Bodach, etc). Some are under SK control, directly or indirectly, while others are free. Green Age cities are impressive sights, with massive castles, thick stone walls and deadly defenses protecting large and diverse populations.

History and background:
Rajaat, inventor of magic and father of all arcane power, long ago began teaching preserving magic to Athasians throughout the world. Schools of magic flourished as different races explored the new power source, one that came from life itself. Yet Rajaat picked the best students for himself - to see if they have the fortitude and mentality for defiling. Powerful preservers were then wiped out in the Preserver Jihad, a private magical war conducted between mighty figures far from the sight of normal men. With opposition destroyed and his sorcerer-kings in place, the Cleansing Wars quietly began, with intrigue and assassinations.

The Cleansing War. The important detail is that no one knew it was coming or, initially, what was happening. Crusades were declared in the name of false gods, intent on ridding the land of goblins, trolls and orcs. Rumors of war turned into all-out battle between several nations. Defiling magic was taught in secret cabals to anyone who would misuse it, on any side, resulting in devastation of crops and ruining the futures of entire cultures. Crops failed as the land dried and countless people starved. Dust began to clog the rivers and seas, slowing commerce and making water a valuable resource.

Rajaat has infused each of his sorcerer-kings with great power, and tasked them with the removal of one race. Each is independent, their army sizes and tactics vary, if they have an army at all, and they rarely meet. Some have a far harder job than others. Some will set themselves as great leaders of men, others as religious figures, others at the head of mystic cults. Their goals are the same, and it will take another thousand years for the Cleansing Wars to truly end. That end has already been written: many races eliminated and others on the verge of extinction, the imprisonment of Rajaat and ruining of the entire world. The fate of Athas is written in stone and history marches to that inevitable conclusion if no heroes rise to stop it.

Races/classes: "everything is core", all PHB1/PHB2 races and classes. The Green Age was close enough to typical D&D fantasy before Rajaat began his crusade, and even creatures like devas have found their way to Athas (or been trapped there) during that time. Obviously psionics are a large part of the world, but they are not in 4th edition yet. In the meantime, we have divine powers as a substitute. The sorcerer-kings have not yet been empowered to have their own templars. There should be some other Dark Sun-style game mechanics, and I envision this as a less forgiving setting than vanilla D&D, though not to the stat- and power-boosted extremes of original Dark Sun.

Campaign ideas: (Heroic Tier)

-The party has fought long in the Goblin Crusades, following the charismatic wizard-warlord Daskinor. He has guided them to victory after brutal victory, and the foul goblins have retreated to their remote mountain strongholds. The crusade turns merciless, slaughtering even helpless children in the name of God and King. The crusade has become corrupt, and it becomes clear that Daskinor will not stop until the creatures have been completely eliminated.

-A dwarven stronghold sends a plea for assistance, desperately fighting a massive orc invasion. Not content to simply murder dwarves, the orcs defile the very land and augment their forces with evil magic. The players determine a mysterious figure is directing the orcs, driving them forth in suicidal battle.

Sea of Silt - Silt is basically soil along with the ash and dust left over from defiling magic. When you kill off all the green growing things, that dirt washes right into the ocean. Eventually the water itself went away, only the dirt remained. So now besides the giants you have underwater (undersilt?) giant worm things that emerge and eat you. Its a great place to die.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 4, 2009

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Aranan posted:

So, Wikipedia has a short entry on the Sea of Silt and it sounds bad rear end. Please, goons, elaborate!

What do you want to know? As far as what was defined in the setting, they never went further east then the Valley of Dust and Fire, which was this enormous hell-hole some where in the middle of the sea where Borys the Dragon lived in the city of Ur Draxa.

For the most part though, the Sea of Silt is exactly like an ocean except nothing can float in it, and it will suffocate you if the wind kicks up enough of it. It ranges from a few feet to hundreds of feet deep at some places. Not all of it used to be under water though so there are ruins buried underneath that are occassionally exposed during storms.

Also, despite appearances, the Sea isn't lifeless. There are all manner of horrible things waiting, just inches under the surface, to drag you in and devour you.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I'm going to repost my 4E coversion of Borys from the homebrew thread because I want to see was other sweet 4E conversions people have done.

I made his version to simulate if the Dragon was feeling agressive. You could just as easily make him a controller and give him a lot more AoE's and personal protection spells.

The -1 AC penalty from his breath weapon is simulate the super heated sand wearing down someone's armor.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I still think the defiler aura is too strong; other effects that steal healing surges deal damage equal to their level if they have none left, not their HSV/one-quarter hp.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm going to repost my 4E coversion of Borys from the homebrew thread because I want to see was other sweet 4E conversions people have done.
Here's a complete campaign primer I made for the Dark Sun 4e game I ran last year that's set immediately after Kalak's death:

http://www.mediafire.com/?nhmqen4qtdy

There's horrific formatting issues because I exported it without checking to make sure I had the right fonts on this computer but whatever.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 4, 2009

Arconom
Jun 27, 2006
Edouard Joseph Gilliath 1417 - 1460 Battle of Arkinholm risen again to protect
I'm running Dark Sun in GURPS. That way I don't have to worry about all that pesky balance D&D4e tries to force into things. If you're going to use D20 for Dark Sun, use AD&D.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

ManMythLegend posted:

I will give a try at one of my old favorites: the tembo. In 2e, tembos were nocturnal pack critters with psionics and a level-draining bite. They had 4HD (hit dice), could dodge missiles, drain life, a bunch of defensive psionics, make 5 attacks per round (4 claws and a drain bite) and were basically a giant 'gently caress you' to players everywhere. Oh and their favorite food was children.

So. I tried to keep it simple.

And thats what passes as a "natural beast" on Athas.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 4, 2009

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ritorix posted:

Why is one of its powers a "Daily"? The only time I've ever seen a daily on a monster was on a Lich that theoretically would be encountering a party more than one time before an extended rest, since it specifically says that it runs when first bloodied to spend a healing surge and return later.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

ritorix posted:

I will give a try at one of my old favorites: the tembo. In 2e, tembos were nocturnal pack critters with psionics and a level-draining bite. They had 4HD (hit dice), could dodge missiles, drain life, a bunch of defensive psionics, make 5 attacks per round (4 claws and a drain bite) and were basically a giant 'gently caress you' to players everywhere. Oh and their favorite food was children.

So. I tried to keep it simple.

And thats what passes as a "natural beast" on Athas.

As I said last time Borys showed up pre-this thread, i'd make the damage from lacking healing surges equal to one-quarter of their maximum hit points, because otherwise this penalises people who gain extra bonuses there such as dragonborn, powerful dwarves, and some magic item use.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

tendrilsfor20 posted:

Why is one of its powers a "Daily"? The only time I've ever seen a daily on a monster was on a Lich that theoretically would be encountering a party more than one time before an extended rest, since it specifically says that it runs when first bloodied to spend a healing surge and return later.

Same thing, who cares. Its a 'once per fight' option. If they do run away they cant keep coming back in stealth and redoing it.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

ManMythLegend posted:

What do you want to know?
What are some of the horrible things lurking in/on/around the silt? The worms that ritorix mentioned sound pretty nifty.

Are there any major/minor cities near the Sea of Silt? Ones that are within range of those silt storms that blow across the land would be a pretty cool place to base an adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Attilla posted:

As I said last time Borys showed up pre-this thread, i'd make the damage from lacking healing surges equal to one-quarter of their maximum hit points, because otherwise this penalises people who gain extra bonuses there such as dragonborn, powerful dwarves, and some magic item use.

guys i know dark sun is harsh but 1/4 of your maximum hit points is way too much damage

• Locked thread