Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

MadDuck posted:

I don't even know what Face of Mankind is and I want to play it now.

Theres a megathread with details (check out https://www.fomportal.com aswell its the official website of the game) and a thread in PGS, and we've not done all that much at the moment theres an election for leader of one of the ingame factions and we managed to get a goon on both options so the vote is quite literally;

quote:

Xavier Fura and Link the Hobo
Xavier Fura and Ace of Spades
Abstain

With Xavier being the goon, they're pissed off at the fact were taking over their beloved faction and hate us because were not "vets" and don't care about the factions history, I caused more rage today by stating that the word "vet" would be banned and replaced with the word "Pet"

If you're interested in getting involved head over to https://www.fomgoons.com the community is this game in one of the angriest i've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor What
Sep 17, 2007

MadDuck posted:

I don't even know what Face of Mankind is and I want to play it now.

Yeah, that made me read through the two threads and start the download. Looks like a gold mine.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I just found out that, in L4D2, people get angry when you go for the Gong Show achievement in Versus if it's a close game.

They get even angrier when you then say "Oops, guess I already had that one!" Especially when they don't have the achievement yet.

Edit: Sorry, to explain for those who don't play L4D2, Gong Show is an achievement you get when you perform an action that attracts a LOT of enemies. It also wastes a useful item, which may or may not matter, but in Versus (where humans and zombies are player controlled), it slows survivors down a LOT, which can force a team to lose easily. Waste of time, effort, and items, which ultimately makes it more difficult for your team to proceed.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 19, 2009

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Our reputation precedes us, I guess. After all the news articles about EVE they understand just how leperous the touch of goons are to a game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GetWellGamers posted:

Our reputation precedes us, I guess. After all the news articles about EVE they understand just how leperous the touch of goons are to a game.
I'm pretty sure goons count for 50% of EVE's playerbase.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Shooting Blanks posted:

I just found out that, in L4D2, people get angry when you go for the Gong Show achievement in Versus if it's a close game.

This made no sense to me since I didn't play the game.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Grawl posted:

It's a optional side event that spawns a ton of enemies while wasting a medical supply. Only weak pussies don't have the balls to go for it.

Arcaeris posted:

Wow, you guys got compared to Mormons. That's jacked up.
I dig the "they must be exterminated" vibe. This is gonna be good.

"ACH NIEN! NOT MEIN CANON! ENDLOSUNG JETZT!"
    /
:arghfist::hitler::coffee:

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

We also have an entire 23 page forum thread devoted to us on the official games forum which is full of many tears;
http://forum.fomportal.com/showthread.php?t=22829

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!

Grawl posted:

It's some dumb achievement that can only be gotten once during the map, and only one person can get it. There is a "test your strength" carnival game that you can hit that summons a bunch of zombies and people will get angry at you for summoning zombies or because they wanted to get the achievement instead.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else... I don't know.
But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves.

Jacada posted:

We also have an entire 23 page forum thread devoted to us on the official games forum which is full of many tears;
http://forum.fomportal.com/showthread.php?t=22829

Well you need an account to read that so summarize please

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Endorph posted:

I'm pretty sure goons count for 50% of EVE's playerbase.

1.7%, if CCP is to be trusted, but we've turned probably half the players goon-like, that's for sure. If you look at the messageboard archives pre-goons, it was an entirely different game then.

Doctor What
Sep 17, 2007

GetWellGamers posted:

1.7%, if CCP is to be trusted, but we've turned probably half the players goon-like, that's for sure. If you look at the messageboard archives pre-goons, it was an entirely different game then.

I've only barely scratched the surface of the zzzfest that is EVE, but I absolutely think that it should be about weird politics and crazy backstabbing spy insanity. I really don't think that CCP minds that their world attracts that kind of intrigue/insanity. (For some reason I end up reading about EVE more than ever playing it.) It gives things a new depth.

:words: I'll stop griefer-philosophizing now, for real.

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!

Blarticus posted:

Well you need an account to read that so summarize please

23 pages of dudes getting angry at goons for trying to turn their precious mining simulator into a good, fun game.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Jzmisgoo posted:

23 pages of dudes getting angry at goons for trying to turn their precious mining simulator into a good, fun game.
Now that'd make be a feel-good weekend web.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

dr_what posted:

I've only barely scratched the surface of the zzzfest that is EVE, but I absolutely think that it should be about weird politics and crazy backstabbing spy insanity. I really don't think that CCP minds that their world attracts that kind of intrigue/insanity. (For some reason I end up reading about EVE more than ever playing it.) It gives things a new depth.

:words: I'll stop griefer-philosophizing now, for real.
I remember the best grief story EVE had to offer before goonfleet was that Istvaan/Nightfreeze human being. I'll give him credit, he had a real way with words; he could polish a turd until it looked like a real gem of masterful espionage and betrayal. His biggest ploy basically came down to him joining a corporation, playing with them for over a year while he worked his way up to becoming one of their directors, and then with full hangar access robbed them blind of billions. Great job I guess, an amazing payout and an utterly demoralized corporation, only took playing with them for an entire year to pull that one off! :rolleyes:

Istvaan even scammed me once, and by scammed I mean posted about scamming me on the forums and that's about it. His elaborate and very well written ruse basically came down to him pretending to be a someone down on his luck and begging people for money, great scam bro! So yeah he asked me for money, and I totally believed his story, but I sure as hell didn't give some internet beggar money. He worded his griefing post very carefully and mentioned me, a goon, by name as being involved without specifically saying that I gave him money. The eve forums just eats his poo poo up, then goons like Mittani came and took that espionage and demoralization poo poo to a whole new level. Then the whole rest of EVE became prima donnas who where shocked and horrified at such aggressively evil meta-gaming.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Team Fortress 2: Privatized healthcare Medic

While playing as a Medic in Team Fortress 2, I realized that he was giving out free universal health care to all members of his team. Being the American I am, I decided I should try to privatize my Medicing, the best Healthcare system in the world. Changing my name to "Privatized Medicine" and binding "Which healthcare insurance do you have?" to my F key, I set out to make my way in the medical world of Team Fortress 2.

Well, at first I didn't get much notice until one unfortunate soldier burned to death in front of me. Due to the fact he refused to show me his Health insurance card or even answer if he did have medical insurance. He became very upset with me, threatening to ban me (turns out he wasn't an admin). Well, the only team mate who had health insurance was a Sniper of the team. After spending half the match healing and ubering just the sniper (much to the anger of my team since I was the only medic on my team) some started to tell me they had Bluecross and other heathcare insurance.

Unfortunately they should've checked with their insurers, since I could not heal a person who was burning. They weren't covered since this was found to be a preexisting medical condition. In fact, I could only heal a person about a third of the time, and only for about twenty five points of health, since it turns out a lot of the medical issues were either deemed none life threatening and thus didn't need medical procedures or the treatment was experimental and wasn't covered by their insurance. About forty minutes on the server, some one managed to get an admin and I was promptly banned. I am hoping to bring my special brand of healthcare to other servers soon.

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 21, 2009

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sanctum posted:

I remember the best grief story EVE had to offer before goonfleet was that Istvaan/Nightfreeze human being.

Istvaan is a pubbie player. Nitefreeze is a totally different person from him. Just to clarify this before people jump down his throat since Nitefreeze is infact a goon.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

While playing as a Medic in Team Fortress 2, I realized that he was giving out free universal health care to all members of his team. Being the American I am, I decided I should try to privatize my Medicing, the best Healthcare system in the world. Changing my name to "Privatized Medicine" and binding "Which healthcare insurance do you have?" to my F key, I set out to make my way in the medical world of Team Fortress 2.

Well, at first I didn't get much notice until one unfortunate soldier burned to death in front of me. Due to the fact he refused to show me his Health insurance card or even answer if he did have medical insurance. He became very upset with me, threatening to ban me (turns out he wasn't an admin). Well, the only team mate who had health insurance was a Sniper of the team. After spending half the match healing and ubering just the sniper (much to the anger of my team since I was the only medic on my team) some started to tell me they had Bluecross and other heathcare insurance.

Unfortunately they should've checked with their insurers, since I could not heal a person who was burning. They weren't covered since this was found to be a preexisting medical condition. In fact, I could only heal a person about a third of the time, and only for about twenty five points of health, since it turns out a lot of the medical issues were either deemed none life threatening and thus didn't need medical procedures or the treatment was experimental and wasn't covered by their insurance. About forty minutes on the server, some one managed to get an admin and I was promptly banned. I am hoping to bring my special brand of healthcare to other servers soon.

Topical and brilliant. An A+ grief. I love the bit about burning being a pre-existing condition. Please do this some more.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This is absolutely awesome, original and brilliant.

If you recorded this and cut it into a good segment it could be a big hit haha.

Placebo
Sep 21, 2009

YouTuber posted:

Istvaan is a pubbie player. Nitefreeze is a totally different person from him. Just to clarify this before people jump down his throat since Nitefreeze is infact a goon.

Istvaan is a goon too, or at least is at this point though.

I guess it wouldn't be the first time someone came to SA from a game. I know I did.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This is what this thread is about.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

AkumaHokoru posted:

This is what this thread is about.
I thought this thread was about what griefing really is, and how badass individuals are by throwing game boards/cards on the ground and how hacking isn't really griefing, and most importantly, using :smug: as often as possible.

In related news, there's quite a bit of fun to be had getting the cloak and dagger in TF2, hiding somewhere, disguising as any member of the other team, and continuously spamming the voice commands. It's even better if alltalk is on.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

(much to the anger of my team since I was the only medic on my team)

The best part, since any one of them could have switched to medic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

AirborneNinja posted:

The best part, since any one of them could have switched to medic.

Uh, what? You can't do that. I'm best as a heavy because it has the most health so it is better.

Uncle Fumbles
Jan 22, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Cojawfee posted:

Uh, what? You can't do that. I'm best as a heavy because it has the most health so it is better.

I read this three times and I still can't work out what you are trying to say.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

He/she is making fun of retards who wont switch classes because they like the one they are playing the most/because it is the best.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Nahxela posted:

If you're Fox, you can run away to the other side of the stage, spam B, run to the other side, spam B, etc. Fox Illusion helps :v:

I loved to do this but I always ended up teleporting too close to the edge and falling off the map. I play Kirby and Yoshi now :shobon:

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

:golfclap: This is fantastic. We need more stories like this.

Ashe
Mar 5, 2001
I was anal raped by a pack of wild gorillas at OH-GASIM. And I liked it.
I figured that I should share a few of my stories/methods.

Nothing is funnier than getting someone who is incredibly dedicated and serious about their game of choice to unleash full on rage. With this in mind, my game of choice to grief in is Counter Strike: Source.

At this point I am banned from tons of FF enabled servers, but almost none are for TKing or hacking. What I like to do is find a server that has FF on and is well populated. My only real "rule" that I stick to is to never push my luck too far, because long term harassment is much more rewarding than quick for me. I spray awful sprays and team attack, the usual stuff. But when a server is populated, I find that you can change your name in console without anyone noticing if you time it up for when everyone is throwing grenades right after a round starts. Ill spam a few voice commands and the name change flies off the screen. This combined with leaving the instant someone initiates a votekick against me means that I can keep coming back. There are a few servers that I have harassed for MONTHS by just changing my name during grenades.

One example that I have successfully pulled this off a few other times is to make a player believe that you know them personally. To achieve this (and also to make me feel a little less guilty) I target whomever is getting the most upset about the current game and is voicing it on voice chat. I then Shift+Tab to pull up the steam menu and I click on the player list.

It seems that 95% of people seem to forget that they either made a Steam profile, or forget that they can be accessed in game. If they have their full name listed, it's on. I will change my handle to something like "<insert players full name>'s Fat rear end", or something equally as immature. I will then team flash and follow them around, maybe pepper 'em with a few shots until they acknowledge me. If they pull a "who the gently caress are you?" on the mic, I go in for the juicy stuff. Some people laugh and immediately figure out that I got it from Steam and I leave them alone....but to those that dont...

I will continually harass this person, try to get them in trouble with admins, flashes, blocking, whatever until they start to TK. I find that almost none of these players just leave, because they are genuinely curious as to how I know their name. Ill usually google their name if I have them really upset, and once or twice I have found myspaces. One particular case, the myspace had been deleted, but Google's cached page had all of his info, which was amazing because there was no way he would ever think of that.

So I started to act like a white trash dickhead and kept typing to the player that "<insert players #1 myspace friends name> has been telling me that you've been talking poo poo...well word gets around MOTHERFUCKER!". I then had this guy freaking out on the mic demanding to know who I was. I kept it going for about 15 minutes and then I decided to bring his girlfriend (once again, via myspace) into it by insisting that she had been "telling me all the poo poo hes been saying too and youd better watch your loving back tomorrow". I spend a solid 20 more minutes going into a rage, and whenever he would demand to know who I was because "I HAVENT TALKED poo poo ABOUT ANYONE DUDE!!", I would always respond with some crap about how "YOU SHOULD KNOW BITCH, THINK ABOUT IT. YOU KNOW WHO YOUVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT". The dude was legitimately upset and confused and he eventually got banned from the server (he was ranked 5th) for freaking out on the admins when they told him to stop talking on the mic about "your gay rear end drama".

Imagining all of the conversations he had with his friend and girlfriend the next day, while worrying that he was about to have his rear end beaten all day had me quite satisfied.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Everquest 2 - In the zone Permafrost, there is a contested mob called Vision of Vox which was pretty tough before all the other mini-expansions. Our guild was the only one organized enough to attempt and kill it.

Permafrost also happened to be the main leveling area for later levels along with Solusek, but Permafrost was easier for groups to do so there were always people coming in. Permafrost was built so you actually had to sneak past this raid mob, but it was annoying to do. But nevertheless, they saw our raid getting ready to kill it.

The mechanic behind this fight is that when you fight the vision, she would cast a raid wide freeze and she would also spawn ice golems. How fights worked in EQ2 is that when your start a fight, that mob becomes locked from interaction beyond the group/raid that started it.

There was also a bug where golems that would spawn, and we actually exploited this a little bit, because they started unattached from the raid encounter. So a couple outside guild groups would pull them and kill them without having to worry about the raid wide AOE damage that the vision was pumping out.

The non-guild members would, of course, run up to the big dragon and gawk in awe at something they wouldn't be able to do for awhile. Some of them would actually pull a golem for themselves and mess up the cycle since they would usually die to it and add one more golem to the fight.

We timed all the AOEs so the healers could get ready with the heals but everyone got really sick of all the non-guildies running around screwing with the fight. Tank said, "before next cycle, I'm going to call for help".

Another function in EQ2 is that you could call for help which would break you from the encounter but give you no experience, but it also let anyone come in and fight. But since the mob was now open to everyone, that meant it's raid wide AOE would hit everything in sight.

So he yelled for help, and just then about 50 people died right there from the AOE that popped since no one was expecting it. People went nuts because all around them, giants respawned and they would die if they ran out alone. Some tried to heal. Vox pulsed again and those healers keeled over along with a bunch of other people.

Next fight, they changed their tune and would peek at the fight from a really long distance away.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 22, 2009

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This is incredible. You are incredible.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Ashe posted:

I will continually harass this person, try to get them in trouble with admins, flashes, blocking, whatever until they start to TK. I find that almost none of these players just leave, because they are genuinely curious as to how I know their name. Ill usually google their name if I have them really upset, and once or twice I have found myspaces. One particular case, the myspace had been deleted, but Google's cached page had all of his info, which was amazing because there was no way he would ever think of that.

So I started to act like a white trash dickhead and kept typing to the player that "<insert players #1 myspace friends name> has been telling me that you've been talking poo poo...well word gets around MOTHERFUCKER!". I then had this guy freaking out on the mic demanding to know who I was. I kept it going for about 15 minutes and then I decided to bring his girlfriend (once again, via myspace) into it by insisting that she had been "telling me all the poo poo hes been saying too and youd better watch your loving back tomorrow". I spend a solid 20 more minutes going into a rage, and whenever he would demand to know who I was because "I HAVENT TALKED poo poo ABOUT ANYONE DUDE!!", I would always respond with some crap about how "YOU SHOULD KNOW BITCH, THINK ABOUT IT. YOU KNOW WHO YOUVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT". The dude was legitimately upset and confused and he eventually got banned from the server (he was ranked 5th) for freaking out on the admins when they told him to stop talking on the mic about "your gay rear end drama".

Imagining all of the conversations he had with his friend and girlfriend the next day, while worrying that he was about to have his rear end beaten all day had me quite satisfied.

This is creepy. You are creepy.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mizkif posted:

Also, it was barely gaming related. Sure, it took place within a game, but it had little to do with the game itself and you could do it anywhere (on the internet).

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Jacada posted:

Theres a megathread with details (check out https://www.fomportal.com aswell its the official website of the game) and a thread in PGS, and we've not done all that much at the moment theres an election for leader of one of the ingame factions and we managed to get a goon on both options so the vote is quite literally;

With Xavier being the goon, they're pissed off at the fact were taking over their beloved faction and hate us because were not "vets" and don't care about the factions history, I caused more rage today by stating that the word "vet" would be banned and replaced with the word "Pet"

If you're interested in getting involved head over to https://www.fomgoons.com the community is this game in one of the angriest i've ever seen.

I remember trying this game out YEARS AGO

I can't believe it's still around, I'm going to look into joining up

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mizkif posted:

Agreed. I was reading this and it just didn't sit well with me. Not funny, just uncomfortable.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Forums Referee posted:

Agreed. I was reading this and it just didn't sit well with me. Not funny, just uncomfortable.

Psh, all they did was google an in-game name. Big deal.

I liked it, because it illustrates why I don't keep a facebook.

Eyebrows Mulligan
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Mizkif posted:

No it was cool and effective. The imagining part is creepy though. You people are loving pussies who can't grief your way out of a paper bag.

Also, there should be a metathread on here about gypsies, because they invented griefing even before there was an internet. Then they perfected it, so that no man could best them in the ring of honor.

Ashe
Mar 5, 2001

Eyebrows Mulligan posted:

No it was cool and effective. The imagining part is creepy though. You people are loving pussies who can't grief your way out of a paper bag.

Also, there should be a metathread on here about gypsies, because they invented griefing even before there was an internet. Then they perfected it, so that no man could best them in the ring of honor.

Hahaha I knew that that part would come out sounding creepy. It's not like I sit here getting off on it or anything. If anything, I am legit crying with laughter every time. I don't like, mull it over in my head all day. It just made me laugh my rear end off the next day when I thought about it.

I guess you could say that the whole thing is creepy, but I mean really all that I am doing is googling a name and using it when I grief. After so many years playing CS, I loving loathe 95% of the player base. Simply team attacking doesn't hold a candle to having some 16 year old flip his poo poo to an entire server.

Ashe
Mar 5, 2001

Chomp8645 posted:

Also, it was barely gaming related. Sure, it took place within a game, but it had little to do with the game itself and you could do it anywhere (on the internet).

I agree with this, but its because it takes place within the "comfort" of a game, where you never would expect it, it's incredibly effective. I don't really care what percentage of a game I actually USE to get some douchebag all upset.

And using your mindset, pretty much anyone griefing who uses text or voice makes it barely game related because you could do it anywhere (like on the internet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ashe posted:

And using your mindset, pretty much anyone griefing who uses text or voice makes it barely game related because you could do it anywhere (like on the internet)

I'm not trying to say that what you did wasn't "legit griefing" or whatever, because we really don't need another five pages of that argument again. I just prefer stories that rely more on (abusing) the actual game mechanics to achieve. I could make someone think I know them anywhere there is text, but I could only turn them into monkey and strap suicide bombs for them to blow up pubbies in a video game.

• Locked thread