Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Buy it. And piss of that high mount pipe, they always, without fail, look so drat stupid on bikes that didn't have them stock.

Why cant anyone make an aftermarket high mount that doesnt make the link pipe so obvious and goony. It just screams "THIS DOESNT BELONG HERE BUT I PUT IT HERE ANYWAY". They need to find a way to hide that thing somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phat_Albert posted:

Why cant anyone make an aftermarket high mount that doesnt make the link pipe so obvious and goony. It just screams "THIS DOESNT BELONG HERE BUT I PUT IT HERE ANYWAY". They need to find a way to hide that thing somewhat.

The only decent ones I ever see are custom jobs with no mufflers. To look better/neater the pipe needs to run up behind the motor, like bikes with undertail pipes as standard have.

It'd have to be a Racefit Growler and nothing else on that Crim.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I just got an old KLR and after putting the stock exhaust on, it rubs against the edge of the rear tire when the suspension is compressed. They're pretty big knobby tires. Is there some sort of spacer between the muffler and where it mounts on the bike or is the tire just too big? I'm looking at a parts diagram and I'm not seeing a spacer, so I'm guessing it's the tire.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

I just got an old KLR and after putting the stock exhaust on, it rubs against the edge of the rear tire when the suspension is compressed. They're pretty big knobby tires. Is there some sort of spacer between the muffler and where it mounts on the bike or is the tire just too big? I'm looking at a parts diagram and I'm not seeing a spacer, so I'm guessing it's the tire.

There isn't. I had this exact problem on my 2nd-gen KLR. I ended up pushing the muffler out with some washers. Doublecheck your wheel alignment just to be on the safe side, though.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
So... my Ninjette is broken down (wiring short or something somewhere). It's been down since the end of November.

A friend of mine has a multimeter. He was planning on helping me find the short, but he had to leave in advance of the snow storm yesterday/today. So I couldn't do anything - the engine hasn't been started up since November.

I plan on going out of state for the holidays very soon.

Since I would resume working on the bike in January, what should I do to "winterize" the bike for now? Snow started coming down last week, and I'm in upstate NY. There's the dilemma of the outdoors - it's outside, under a cover.

I read on the Ninja wiki that not starting up an engine on a basis would result in rust developing in the cylinders, and oil gunking up the system or something. My brake discs are rusting up a bit, should I attack them with steel wool before I leave?

What are your recommendations on what I should do to my bike before I leave the state?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ideally, you'd want to fill the tank with gas and Stabil, then run it for 15 minutes or so to get the Stabil in the carbs, but since you can't do that, try to get it full, at least. Leave the rotors alone since it's just surface rust and will wear away the first time you ride it again.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

the walkin dude posted:

So... my Ninjette is broken down (wiring short or something somewhere). It's been down since the end of November.

A friend of mine has a multimeter. He was planning on helping me find the short, but he had to leave in advance of the snow storm yesterday/today. So I couldn't do anything - the engine hasn't been started up since November.

I plan on going out of state for the holidays very soon.

Since I would resume working on the bike in January, what should I do to "winterize" the bike for now? Snow started coming down last week, and I'm in upstate NY. There's the dilemma of the outdoors - it's outside, under a cover.

I read on the Ninja wiki that not starting up an engine on a basis would result in rust developing in the cylinders, and oil gunking up the system or something. My brake discs are rusting up a bit, should I attack them with steel wool before I leave?

What are your recommendations on what I should do to my bike before I leave the state?

I would do the tank fill and Stabil for sure. See if you can get at the float drains at the carbs as well and empty them. Rust in the tank and gunk in the carbs is where you run into problems with storing a bike.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Thanks, guys. I'm hoping the poor thing survives the winter.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Has anyone ever seen one of these in use?

http://www.etrailer.com/p-RHMC1SV.htm

I guess if you dont care about your tire, or you're only going a small distance it could be OK, but drat, I cant see this working well at all.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Phat_Albert posted:

Has anyone ever seen one of these in use?

http://www.etrailer.com/p-RHMC1SV.htm

I guess if you dont care about your tire, or you're only going a small distance it could be OK, but drat, I cant see this working well at all.

for that price you might as well buy a versa haul if you're just pulling a dirt bike or something

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Isn't that bad for the transmission, too, since the chain/belt/shaft is still turning it?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Isn't that bad for the transmission, too, since the chain/belt/shaft is still turning it?

It could contribute to bearing failure.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

Endless Mike posted:

It says specifically to remove the chain on that page. It also says belt/shaft drive are good for 55-65 mph. Not sure I believe that one.

Sinek
Jun 23, 2005

dietcokefiend posted:

I posted this in another thread, but looking at this bike more and more I am starting to love it. :fap:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/1491391358.html

Does the ZX-10R have any known reliability problems? How does it rate in tooting around town and doing highway work? Any ideas on gas mileage? Looking for something a bit faster than the SV but still usable on the highway. Most of the roads around here can see 100-130 safely with the looooong smooth roads and light traffic with entrances only every 2-3 miles. The SV starts to fall flat at 90-100. I also want something that has more power when ~50lbs of gear is added to the back.

For shits and giggles I did an insurance check and it is actually not that bad to insure. Much cheaper than most of the 600s and 1000s I was looking at.

I can't see the posting because it was deleted so I don’t know what year it was, but I own a 06 ZX-10 with 13k miles, reliability has been fine so far with no major issues other than the required basic maintenance. the one thing I had to change sooner than I expected was my clutch at 10000 miles but I think it’s my own fault, I took it to the drag strip a few times and people have told my its typical to replace the clutches often when doing that. The bike has a very Jekyll and Hyde personality, it is perfectly happy to putter around town at 3500-4000rpm and is very tame under 5500-6000rpm (this puts your around 60mph in 1st). I like the aspect of not really having to shift in town, 95% of the time in the city I’m in 2nd gear. i get about 30mpg in the city

The Mr. Hyde aspect of the bike comes out at anything above 6500-7k rpm, after that the power comes on very fast and will get you in trouble with the cops around here, 1st tops out at about 105mph with stock gearing, 6th gear top speed is 182mph indicated. i don't get to play in rpm range very often, its just too dangerous on the street and when i do i pick my spots very carefully.

Highway riding is fine and the power doesn’t start to fall flat until about 150mph, you wont really notice 50lbs on the back. i ride 2up prety often and as far as power goes its almost unnoticable (handling is another story). For a lack of a better term the bike feels at "home" at around 95mph in 6th gear on the highway, it’s puttering along at 3500rpm at that speed so engine noise is minimal and everything just feels right. i usualy get about 40mpg on the highway.

I can't really think of anything bad to say about the bike other than unless you have quite a bit of experience riding don't get one, i would probably have killed myself if i had bought it when i was 22-23 (i'm 32 now for reference). you need a lot of self control to not get yourself in trouble on one of these, and even then you still might. I've had a few close calls with the po-po and i almost fliped it over at the drag strip.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Not a motorcycle, but it's a two stroke with a carb, so I figure here's the best place to get help.

Our snow blower doesn't want to run. I was clearing the driveway for a bit, and then it just up and stopped. It'll start for a couple of seconds if it is primed, but putter out quickly. If you keep pressing prime like a maniac, it'll run. I'm guessing there's a fueling issue somewhere because of that.

It ran fine for the 5 minutes or so we ran it a few weeks back before the snow fell and I did get most of the driveway done before it shut off.

What should I check?

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
Not sure if this has been asked before but something happened on my bike last night and again this morning that has me a little shaken.

Last night riding home on the 10 west in LA, when I pulled back the throttle, my bike accelerated normally, but at a certain point my RPMs shot way up. Felt almost disconnected from the wheel, as if I was revving in neutral. I let off the throttle for a second and slowly cranked it back up and it didn't happen again. That happened again this morning.

Also, this morning while making a quick start from a stop light, on the chain side of the bike I heard/felt a click, as if the chain missed the sprocket or something. Happens whenever I gun it from a standstill, if I slowly accelerate off the line it doesn't happen, but if I push hard, I hear (and to an extent feel) a "thunk" and then it engages.

Any clues fellow goons?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Clutch plates? Have you adjusted your chain tension lately?

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

blugu64 posted:

Clutch plates? Have you adjusted your chain tension lately?

I have not. How would I go about doing that? Those two bolts on the very ends of the swingarm right?

ari.gato fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 22, 2009

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Yep, that's what they're for. You should be able to find the recommended chain slack for your bike online (I don't know if this is universal thing, someone back me up). Take your measurements from the bottom run of the chain, midway between the front and rear sprockets. To do so, pull the chain up as high as it will go, make note of the very peak of its stretch, and then pull it down as low as it will go, again measuring the top of the chain. The distance between top and bottom stretch is your slack measurement.

Like so.

Also, if the chain is difficult to bring within these limits without ridiculous adjustment, you may need to replace it depending on how old it is and how much stress it's gone through with the knocking you mentioned.

edit: Your sprockets may even be worn.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 23, 2009

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a good idea to check in multiple places, too, to make sure the chain is in okay shape.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Speaking of chains and sprockets and whatnot, has anyone here been torque-crazy enough to do a -1/+3 sprocket setup? I hadn't noticed what setup the PO had on my project bike thusfar, but as I was doing a final checkover the other day I happened to count the teeth. Is this thing going to be wheelie happy even though its an ex500?

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 23, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

AncientTV posted:

You should be able to find the recommended chain slack for your bike online (I don't know if this is universal thing, someone back me up).

I bet most bikes are somewhat in the same range, but I'd look it up in your bikes service manual to be sure.

Here's a fancy british chap explaining it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Div21GLJ2gk

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

blugu64 posted:

I bet most bikes are somewhat in the same range, but I'd look it up in your bikes service manual to be sure.
Eh, not really. Depends on how much swing arm travel your bike's suspension allows, which varies depending on the type of bike. For a dualsport like my KLR, recommended play in the chain is like 50-65mm, whereas for my ninjette it's 35-45mm.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

ari.gato posted:

I have not. How would I go about doing that? Those two bolts on the very ends of the swingarm right?

Adjust your chain tension. Then fix your clutch, which is slipping.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
How exactly does the sensor work that knows when the clutch is engaged when you start a bike? I have a 92 GS500 and it takes a particular black magic on holding the clutch in a certain way to start it. Is it something I can easily replace like a front brake light sensor or is it deeper in the bike?

Its not a big deal, but if I ever wanted to sell it, it would be something I'd want to fix. (omg ur bike doesn't start hurr)

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Zool posted:

Adjust your chain tension. Then fix your clutch, which is slipping.

How hard is it to replace a clutch on a bike? Is that something I should go to a pro for?

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Was hanging out with a girl last weekend and she said her boyfriend had an "Apree-Ya" Have I been pronouncing "Uh-pril-E-Uh" wrong this whole time?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Was hanging out with a girl last weekend and she said her boyfriend had an "Apree-Ya" Have I been pronouncing "Uh-pril-E-Uh" wrong this whole time?

http://www.forvo.com/word/aprilia

There's definitely an L in there. It's not exaggerated, but it's present. "Apree-ya" misses a bunch of the letters in the name. :v:

ari.gato posted:

How hard is it to replace a clutch on a bike? Is that something I should go to a pro for?

Nah, clutches are easy on bikes. Remove the clutch cover, remove 4-8 clutch bolts, remove clutch basket cover, remove plates, put in new plates, and put the bolts back in and the cover back on and you're good. You could do it no problem. Just don't overtorque the clutch bolts, they only require around 10-15 foot pounds on most bikes.

BotchedLobotomy posted:

How exactly does the sensor work that knows when the clutch is engaged when you start a bike? I have a 92 GS500 and it takes a particular black magic on holding the clutch in a certain way to start it. Is it something I can easily replace like a front brake light sensor or is it deeper in the bike?

Its not a big deal, but if I ever wanted to sell it, it would be something I'd want to fix. (omg ur bike doesn't start hurr)

If you look at the clutch perch, you'll see a 2 prong plug. If you jump (on the harness side) that with a piece of wire, it'll always think the clutch is in. So I'd try that first, see if it'll start consistently then, and if it does, then you can look at the actual switch, which is just a little black box with a rod on it that is pushed in by the clutch lever when you pull it in.

It also sounds like your kickstand switch is failing, although I could be mistaken there. Usually if you've got the bike in neutral with the kickstand up, it'll start regardless of clutch position.

AncientTV posted:

Speaking of chains and sprockets and whatnot, has anyone here been torque-crazy enough to do a -1/+3 sprocket setup? I hadn't noticed what setup the PO had on my project bike thusfar, but as I was doing a final checkover the other day I happened to count the teeth. Is this thing going to be wheelie happy even though its an ex500?

That's a pretty serious regear, and you may find that it's now capable of powerwheeling in first gear, but probably not. I wouldn't be too concerned about it, although it's going to tank your gas mileage.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Z3n posted:

That's a pretty serious regear, and you may find that it's now capable of powerwheeling in first gear, but probably not. I wouldn't be too concerned about it, although it's going to tank your gas mileage.

Fuuuuck. Is it going to throw off my speedo anymore than they usually are?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

AncientTV posted:

Fuuuuck. Is it going to throw off my speedo anymore than they usually are?

Nah, your speedo reads off the front wheel. It's immune to sprocket changes!

(Not front wheel swaps though :xd:)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Its a micro switch usually on the underside of clutch lever itself. When the clutch is pulled in, the switch closes, and the starter relay can engage.

You can probably clean/replace the switch, or you can clip the wires and leave them (if its a normally open switch), or connect them (if its normally closed). Either way, its simple.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Z3n posted:

It also sounds like your kickstand switch is failing, although I could be mistaken there. Usually if you've got the bike in neutral with the kickstand up, it'll start regardless of clutch position.

I'm not too sure it's the kickstand switch failing, mine always has to have the clutch in to start, so I'd assume it's clutch switch related (I think?). I start mine in neutral with the kickstand down a lot of times, just so that it can warm up while I put on all my junk. Thanks for the info on the switch, I'm going to go take a look at it right now. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I'm not too sure it's the kickstand switch failing, mine always has to have the clutch in to start, so I'd assume it's clutch switch related (I think?). I start mine in neutral with the kickstand down a lot of times, just so that it can warm up while I put on all my junk. Thanks for the info on the switch, I'm going to go take a look at it right now. :)

Ahh, ok. Each bike is a little different with what combination of clutch in/kickstand/neutral it'll accept to start and run.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Most bikes require the clutch to be in so you dont hit the starter in gear with the stand up AKA after you stall it out.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Just bought front pads for my bike, time to swap 'em. Picked up EBCs since they're about 2 bucks cheaper than the stockers. Why are rear pads more expensive ($52) than fronts ($33)?

Bike is a 2009 DR650SE.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Z3n posted:

http://www.forvo.com/word/aprilia

There's definitely an L in there. It's not exaggerated, but it's present. "Apree-ya" misses a bunch of the letters in the name. :v:
I think it's kind of a combination of the two, Ah-preel-ya. That's what I say, anyways.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Just bought front pads for my bike, time to swap 'em. Picked up EBCs since they're about 2 bucks cheaper than the stockers. Why are rear pads more expensive ($52) than fronts ($33)?

Bike is a 2009 DR650SE.

Sometimes the rear pads are thicker than the front ones. I dunno if you're on one of those crazy bikes that has a bigger rear rotor than front one too...dirt bike front rotors can be pretty weedy.

Fant, I figure I'm in America, I can butcher it by overpronouncing everything. :v:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
This is an awfully vague question, but what's the one brand of (seemingly magic) metal polish that comes in a tub? It's been recommended in the forum a thousand times, but stupid me forgot to bookmark it.

Hopefully one of you will know what I'm blathering about.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nevr Dull??

http://www.nevrdull.com/

Love the stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonie
Apr 25, 2006
I just needed some advice...

Basically i have passed my CBT, with no intention on completing my full test. I want to buy a 125. And my requirements will be to get to and from my army base at weekends. So probably 40 miles each way. Would you advise getting a bike for this use ?