Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

BTW, a heads up for anyone in So-Cal looking for a project, there's a guy on ADV Rider giving away an '85 non-running VF500 for a case of beer.

Ahh, christmas has arrived, when everyone tries to dump their projects. :v:

Amusingly, I've acquired 2 new projects in a week...a 2001 ZX9R for 400$ and a F2 for 500$. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Methusulah posted:

I just called him, and he actually owns a bike shop and parts out the stuff he gets. If he gets something like this he tries to sell it whole. It was an older guys' project bike but he got rid of it to focus on an old Mustang.

Heh, I had a Yamaha XS 650 Special that I sold after de-chopperifying it so that I could finish my Mustang project. If I remember right I got $50 more than I had in it and all that was left to do was run a fuel line.

That was in 1997. :suicide:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'd be all over that VF500, now that we have a garage. We've got a newly acquired, dirty, forsaken Virago 250 to resurrect first, though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

sirbeefalot posted:

I'd be all over that VF500, now that we have a garage. We've got a newly acquired, dirty, forsaken Virago 250 to resurrect first, though.

The problem with those VF500s is I think they were subject to the cam issues that some of the earlier V4 engines had and there's certain parts on them that have become unobtanium. Apparently there's a plastic little piece of tubing that goes between the carbs that's prone to snapping and impossible to find/no longer made.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

The problem with those VF500s is I think they were subject to the cam issues that some of the earlier V4 engines had and there's certain parts on them that have become unobtanium. Apparently there's a plastic little piece of tubing that goes between the carbs that's prone to snapping and impossible to find/no longer made.

Actually, I think the 500's were immune from that issue, Honda figured out the problem pretty quickly (but never really did admit to it) and the 2nd generation V4's weren't so afflicted.

For those late to this party-the first generation Honda V4 engines were produced with spongy camshafts that galled, flaked and broke off chunks. Anyone looking at a Honda V4 from 82-84, maybe 85, must inspect the cams before purchase or be ready for a nasty surprise. The cams are upwards of $250 each and the engine has 4 of them.

*obligatory disclaimer-exactly why the cams failed is still debated. I am firmly in the "lovely materials/improper treatment" camp. Others maintain that the problem was inadequate lubrication. Honda blamed the failures on technicians improperly adjusting the valves and grudgingly released fixes that "made it easier to properly maintain" and service the engines, which is what Japanese manufacturers do when they know they dropped a turd and want the end user to find a way to pick it up by the clean end. Obligatory disclaimer ends.*

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Z3n posted:

I don't care because look at what they look like. Tell me about GPZ 1000s (zx1000A1?). 600lbs, 125hp. I might have stumbled into one I can pickup for what amounts to $400 (trade), with 'minor' cosmetic damage in 'roadworthy' condition. I put it in quotes as I haven't seen photos yet. I can't keep three bikes around so I'd have to get rid of the ninja 250, but is this even a bike worth having over the ninja? Oh it's an 86, so all is good with my dream of never leaving the 80s.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Gnomad posted:

Actually, I think the 500's were immune from that issue, Honda figured out the problem pretty quickly (but never really did admit to it) and the 2nd generation V4's weren't so afflicted.

For those late to this party-the first generation Honda V4 engines were produced with spongy camshafts that galled, flaked and broke off chunks. Anyone looking at a Honda V4 from 82-84, maybe 85, must inspect the cams before purchase or be ready for a nasty surprise. The cams are upwards of $250 each and the engine has 4 of them.

*obligatory disclaimer-exactly why the cams failed is still debated. I am firmly in the "lovely materials/improper treatment" camp. Others maintain that the problem was inadequate lubrication. Honda blamed the failures on technicians improperly adjusting the valves and grudgingly released fixes that "made it easier to properly maintain" and service the engines, which is what Japanese manufacturers do when they know they dropped a turd and want the end user to find a way to pick it up by the clean end. Obligatory disclaimer ends.*

Double post!

From what I've read (read this as hearsay) they added or modified the cam oiling passageways in the VF500, and released a kit to modify the magna version to do the same.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnomad posted:

I can never remember which models of the V4s had those problems. I do know that I've had a few friends who have ended up with parked VF500s because of waiting on one stupid piece of plastic that was never going to be in stock.

I've heard that the cams got eaten because of oiling issues, like blugu mentions, but I've never worked on one and at best it's all heresay anyways.

blugu64 posted:

I don't care because look at what they look like. Tell me about GPZ 1000s (zx1000A1?). 600lbs, 125hp. I might have stumbled into one I can pickup for what amounts to $400 (trade), with 'minor' cosmetic damage in 'roadworthy' condition. I put it in quotes as I haven't seen photos yet. I can't keep three bikes around so I'd have to get rid of the ninja 250, but is this even a bike worth having over the ninja? Oh it's an 86, so all is good with my dream of never leaving the 80s.

I have a friend who has one of those. I'm going to be riding it later this week, but he's bored his out to an 1100. He's had it since new, and it's one of the 3 bikes he owns (GPZ1000, R1150S, RD350). From what I've heard they're good bikes, although I've never ridden/worked on one. I can ask him about them when I go ride it if you'd like.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
My perspective on the Honda V4 issue comes from owning 2 of them, both with bad cams.

The reason I believe it was a material failure was the appearance of the failure. The damage wasn't an even wear to the surfaces, or more wear on the actual cam to rocker surface, it was pieces of cam missing from the edges and even the closing side of the cam, with galling on the opening side-but very little damage or wear on the rockers. My conclusion is that the cam material flaked off under pressure and not lack of lubrication. I've seen what lack of lubrication does to a cam and it wasn't the same failure.

Keep in mind that both of those V4's ran quite well, bad cams and all. If I found a really clean 1st gen V4 Interceptor for sale I would be likely to buy it, but I would drat sure take the valve covers off and if the cams were toasted, I'd be a prick and use it against the seller. If they were clean, well, that'd be a bonus.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnomad posted:

My perspective on the Honda V4 issue comes from owning 2 of them, both with bad cams.

The reason I believe it was a material failure was the appearance of the failure. The damage wasn't an even wear to the surfaces, or more wear on the actual cam to rocker surface, it was pieces of cam missing from the edges and even the closing side of the cam, with galling on the opening side-but very little damage or wear on the rockers. My conclusion is that the cam material flaked off under pressure and not lack of lubrication. I've seen what lack of lubrication does to a cam and it wasn't the same failure.

Keep in mind that both of those V4's ran quite well, bad cams and all. If I found a really clean 1st gen V4 Interceptor for sale I would be likely to buy it, but I would drat sure take the valve covers off and if the cams were toasted, I'd be a prick and use it against the seller. If they were clean, well, that'd be a bonus.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that what you were saying was heresay, just that my experiences with them were that. :blush:

I've always been kind of curious as to what would happen if you just ran them into the ground, hosed up cams and all. I mean, at a thousand bucks for new cams, if you're only into the bike for 300-500$...

I passed on 3 Sabre V65s in various states of repair for around 1500$ for the set...just didn't have the time/money. Nice bikes, and I've always wanted to ride one...seems like it could be one of those bikes that just gets it's hooks in you.

I'm a nice person on the internet, but a fearsome prick when it comes to buying bikes. Besides, finding cam wear like that can take a bike from a great deal to a poo poo one in one fell swoop.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

I've always been kind of curious as to what would happen if you just ran them into the ground, hosed up cams and all. I mean, at a thousand bucks for new cams, if you're only into the bike for 300-500$...

Well, both of mine had fairly hosed up cams, and they both ran well. The 83 in particular, was winceworthy whenver I checked the clearances, I did show them to the buyer and he was OK with them as he had seen worse.

I really did like the Interceptors I owned. The first one was my first "good" bike and the second one got me back into riding after I sold my first Interceptor to buy a minivan :smithicide: and the cams on the 84 were better than the 83.

BTW, I did find at some point a place that will reweld and regrind the cams for less than the $250 each, but can't seem to find it now. I would imagine that any competent cam shop could handle that task. I'd still get the oil mod done, just in case.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah, the oil mod would be at the top of the list if I did find one of the old V4s to play with. In the mean time, I've got my hands full with the ZX9R project I just bought and the F2 I'll be picking up from a friend. :)

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Z3n posted:

Ahh, christmas has arrived, when everyone tries to dump their projects. :v:

Amusingly, I've acquired 2 new projects in a week...a 2001 ZX9R for 400$ and a F2 for 500$. :v:

I love the pre Christmas bike dump myself. I just picked up a really nice Bandit 400 for $500.
Going to look at a "kind of running" Ninja 250 tonight for $300.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Yeah, the oil mod would be at the top of the list if I did find one of the old V4s to play with. In the mean time, I've got my hands full with the ZX9R project I just bought and the F2 I'll be picking up from a friend. :)

So the plan is get ride of the 636, and start riding the ZX9 on the street. Then the F2 for... chopper project?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bugdrvr posted:

I love the pre Christmas bike dump myself. I just picked up a really nice Bandit 400 for $500.
Going to look at a "kind of running" Ninja 250 tonight for $300.
Nice. That kind of running 250 could be a screaming deal.

Zool posted:

So the plan is get ride of the 636, and start riding the ZX9 on the street. Then the F2 for... chopper project?
The plan's way more boring than that...Sell the 636, fix the 9, sell the 9, fix the F2, sell the F2. I do it to have a project to work on and something to ride, and I usually tend to get my money out of my projects at the end, so it's sort of like investment, plus some fun and minus the interest. :haw:

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
The profit from a few project bikes paid for half of my GS, so this sickness can help pay for itself. Of course one day you run into "that" bike and all the money flies out the door.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnomad posted:

The profit from a few project bikes paid for half of my GS, so this sickness can help pay for itself. Of course one day you run into "that" bike and all the money flies out the door.

"For sale, Vincent Black Shadow, mostly complete. Ran when taken apart."

To any of you looking at project bikes...my friend who worked as a mechanic for many years once said "Project bikes are worthwhile, if you consider your time worth about 10 cents on the hour". It's true, but it's rewarding and fun in it's own ways, so I don't mind that. Occasionally you make out very well, after you develop an eye for the right things, and sometimes you make out very poorly, either due to bike lust or just getting screwed by all the wrong things. Either way, it's a nice way to get some bikes to flog and occupy your weekends (and spill enough oil to make your garage floor rust proof).

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

This is very true. I've made a decent amount of money buying up project bikes and cars. That plus it's always fun to have a project to work on.
I do agree about the bike/car lust being a losing proposition. As long as you go into it knowing that, no biggie. The Bandit is a bike I've wanted forever but unfortunately is an oddball that was only sold in the states for a few years almost 20 years ago. I know parts are going to be a pain in the rear end to find and cost a bunch of money but it's all good. I don't plan on selling it, just riding the hell out of it until it falls apart.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Okay, next entry on the "Tsaven has no loving idea what bike he wants next and will probably end up with a few" list.

What's CA's opinion of the Honda Magna? Mid-90s probably, 750cc. At this point I think I'll be mostly around town and commuting, as well as carrying a fair number of people 2-up, something my current Vgo doesn't do very well (not much power, short wheelbase gives a cramped pillion seating position)

Seem to be a good number around me in the $3k range, although often they're pretty fagged out (HAY I FIXED TEH EXAUST AND MADE IT ALL SHINEY).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Have you ridden any other bikes yet?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I can't imagine offroading a magna would end up much better then offroading your yamaha.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Z3n posted:

Have you ridden any other bikes yet?

Er . . . no, I haven't :( And even then this is stupid of me to keep thinking about, because I still don't have a job and I'm not going to allow myself to blow money on a new bike when I don't have anything coming in.

So far, almost every non-cruiser bike that I've sat on, with the sole exception of the KLR650, has felt too small and kind of cramped. Granted, my Vgo sorta does too, but I already have it and as long as I have the seat back on the back, it's pretty comfortable.

I've tried on everything that I think I might want for my next bike, SV650, Ninjas of all sizes, DRZ400, other Supermotos, Dual-Sports, etc, and yet I still keep coming back to cruisers just for the comfort.

blugu64 posted:

I can't imagine offroading a magna would end up much better then offroading your yamaha.

Yeah, probably not. But I don't see much off-road or trail riding in the near future, if I did I'd probably get a KLR650. I want something that'll be more powerful then my Vgo, but not too much so, and be a bit larger with a better seating position for the passenger. And, you know. Cheap.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

Er . . . no, I haven't :( And even then this is stupid of me to keep thinking about, because I still don't have a job and I'm not going to allow myself to blow money on a new bike when I don't have anything coming in.

So far, almost every non-cruiser bike that I've sat on, with the sole exception of the KLR650, has felt too small and kind of cramped. Granted, my Vgo sorta does too, but I already have it and as long as I have the seat back on the back, it's pretty comfortable.

I've tried on everything that I think I might want for my next bike, SV650, Ninjas of all sizes, DRZ400, other Supermotos, Dual-Sports, etc, and yet I still keep coming back to cruisers just for the comfort.

You really should try some other bikes before you get too involved in another bike. Motorcycles are a lot like motorcycle gear...it doesn't really make sense until you're using it. What feels extreme or small in the showroom may feel much more comfortable on the road with the wind on your chest, and so on and so forth. In general, motorcycles are moving towards being smaller and lighter, and you may find that there are tradeoffs while riding that would influence your decision.

Personally, I cannot imagine riding a cruiser for any length of time, simply because the position with your feet forward and your spine essentially vertical doesn't make for comfortable riding for me. I'm much more comfortable with my feet under my hips and able to stand up, move around, and use my legs to absorb shocks.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 27, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

CB750, one of the newer ones from the 90s.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

blugu64 posted:

CB750, one of the newer ones from the 90s.

Like blugu said, or most of the big UJM's out there. Also, Honda ST1100's are getting cheapish these days and have tons of room, if you can't fit on that bike it's going to be tough to find anyhting to fit well. Also, Yamaha FJ, Suzuki Bandit 12s, or the high dollar option, BMW GS/RS. Not a practical option for the unemployed but the GS boxer is a great bike for pillions.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnomad posted:

Like blugu said, or most of the big UJM's out there. Also, Honda ST1100's are getting cheapish these days and have tons of room, if you can't fit on that bike it's going to be tough to find anyhting to fit well. Also, Yamaha FJ, Suzuki Bandit 12s, or the high dollar option, BMW GS/RS. Not a practical option for the unemployed but the GS boxer is a great bike for pillions.

The GS/RS is just a fantastic bike all around. If I had to have one do it all bike, that'd be really high on the list. Unfortunately, what makes it so good at everything also means that it's not fantastic at any one thing, and when I've got the luxury of a multi bike garage...

I'd say that if I had to buy a cheap tourer, though, it'd probably be a B12. Knock up a skidplate for it to spare any problems while offroad and you're good to go. Plus you can find them for dirt cheap these days.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

frozenphil posted:

Heh, I had a Yamaha XS 650 Special that I sold after de-chopperifying it so that I could finish my Mustang project. If I remember right I got $50 more than I had in it and all that was left to do was run a fuel line.

That was in 1997. :suicide:

Just got back from vacation with the family. I ended up buying the XJ 550 on the way to see my folks. Payed 300 for it. I'm not overall worried about overpaying, it was in my budget. All the lights worked, and the thing started with some encouragement (ie- starter fluid in the cylinders) Haha, the guy that originally owned this bike sold it to finish his mustang project too!

Now I'm wondering how to get it home. Think I'd be able to take off the wheels and fenders and fit it in my old Plymouth Breeze? I'm having a hard time finding a friend with a truck that's not busy.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
Tsaven, are these just random people's bikes you've been sitting on or did you go to a store? I would never recommend buying a bike from a store but they're great for getting a really good idea of what fits you well.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

So this is more a result of idle thoughts and browsing Craigslist in my spare time at work, but I've been getting the itch to get off four and get back on two wheels, but I'm at a crossroads for what I could justify buying as a bike.

I rode for 3 or 4 years in college, and I rode a Honda CBR600F3 and a 97 YZF750R. I'm past my sportbikes phase and I think I want to try and get a vintage/cafe racer style bike to wrench on. I would not be opposed to a street fighter looking bike. My criteria for bikes would be that it would have to be big engined enough to comfortably handle freeway riding, so 250s are out and 500s are borderline but acceptable, not be a sportsbike for insurance reasons, be common enough so that finding parts isn't a pain in the rear end and be simple enough to work on. I'm not a retard with a wrench, but I'm still learning so the easier to work on the better.

Oh and my budget is as little as possible but I'd like to get close to $1,000, which eliminates most things.

I guess the short list is a Honda CB750, an old Yamaha two-stroke, a Suzuki GS500(but I hear these are crap? Never ridden one) a Honda NT650 or Suzuki SV650. The last two would be closer to the $1500 mark, but that is theoretically possible for me in the future, and since I wouldn't be possibly doing this until the spring months, I've got time to look around.

So, are there any bikes I missed I should look in to? I want something cheap, easy to work on, comfortable-ish (no torture racks) and something I can take on highway trips. I've never ridden a cruiser, so I may take one for a test ride, but I just don't know how I'd feel about a feet-forward riding position. I think they look good as long as they aren't gigantic and full of chrome.

Thanks!

edit: Since there isn't a cycle resource thread stickied, if possible could yall suggest some websites/resources I could use to research my decisions as well? I'd like to learn as much as possible about a bike so I can buy the right one at the right price, and know what to expect maintainence wise before I get myself in to something I can't take care of.

Edit2: I'd loving love a motard to be a hoon on, but I don't think there are any that can also do double duty as a 4+ hour highway machine. If there are, then that's bound to be one loving crazy rear end bike, especially for $1k.

Korwen fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 28, 2009

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Oakey posted:

Tsaven, are these just random people's bikes you've been sitting on or did you go to a store? I would never recommend buying a bike from a store but they're great for getting a really good idea of what fits you well.

Mostly this is from sitting on things at stores. I bought my first bike from a store, and I learned my lesson there. :) Now, though, I've fallen in love with this black wee-strom near me, and for my sake I'm almost hoping the guy has already sold it. Because if he hasn't, I don't think I'll be able to avoid it coming home with me.

I'd thought I didn't fit on wee-Stroms, but I found that the 1000's seat is about an inch and a half taller then the 650's, and there some options for lowering the footpegs. That might be enough to make one work for me, so the girlfriend and I are going to try the bikes at a dealer on again, just to see.

I soppose Z3n couldn't be too annoyed with me for getting a Wee, it seems to be pretty popular everywhere. :)
If I do get this bike, it's being financed by some Apple stock that I bought at $113, so if I let myself think optimisticly, a $3500 bike only cost me $2000 out of pocket.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Korwen: If you're looking to make a cafe style bike, the 650's and the GS500 are out. A gS450 or 425 would be right for it. And if you're looking at CB750's, don't forget that there are big kwaks and suzuki's out there too.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Korwen: If you're looking to make a cafe style bike, the 650's and the GS500 are out. A gS450 or 425 would be right for it. And if you're looking at CB750's, don't forget that there are big kwaks and suzuki's out there too.

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1527367144.html

I can buy that today, cash. Getting it back home would be awkward but do-able. Thoughts?

edit: What were the models for the older kawasakis and zukis that would be good to get?

edit2:

What would a reasonable price for this bike be?
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1524672967.html

I recall reading somewhere on here that a good condition 70's CB would cost less than a grand, so one needing $500 in parts should cost around $500, right? I know lowballing is a dick move, but if you offer what it's worth, no harm no foul?

edit3:

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/1527180521.html

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/1525815700.html

Sorry to poo poo up this post as I'm finding these.

Korwen fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 28, 2009

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Korwen posted:

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1527367144.html

I can buy that today, cash. Getting it back home would be awkward but do-able. Thoughts?
edit: What were the models for the older kawasakis and zukis that would be good to get?

edit2:
What would a reasonable price for this bike be?
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1524672967.html

Depending on how beat to poo poo this one is, and if it runs or not, it might be worth looking at. It wouldn't be the first time someone was looking to dump a bike because they couldn't figure out how to repair the carbs, or couldn't synch them, or because spraying them with a can of cleaner didn't fix an issue like a clogged jet.

Then again, it could have been sitting outside for a few years, be covered in rust, have broken signals, etc.

The KZ550s? The running one has no title, I'd personally not bother with it, but the 83 Honda 750 might be worth looking at. The 1978 CB looks like it's in worse shape for more money, so I'd pass on that one.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Raven457 posted:

Depending on how beat to poo poo this one is, and if it runs or not, it might be worth looking at. It wouldn't be the first time someone was looking to dump a bike because they couldn't figure out how to repair the carbs, or couldn't synch them, or because spraying them with a can of cleaner didn't fix an issue like a clogged jet.

Then again, it could have been sitting outside for a few years, be covered in rust, have broken signals, etc.

The KZ550s? The running one has no title, I'd personally not bother with it, but the 83 Honda 750 might be worth looking at. The 1978 CB looks like it's in worse shape for more money, so I'd pass on that one.

I got a response on the 81 Kawasaki CSR 650. He said he had it running, but the carbs need cleaning. Of course he didn't answer any of my questions about rust or the title, he just told me to call him. I think I'm going to call him after work and get some answers on it. I'm going to do some research on this model until than, anyone have any places to start?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Going to look at this on Sunday: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531794

Talk me out of it. For the love of god, please talk me out of it. I shouldn't be spending money, I don't have a job!

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Oakey posted:

Just curious, aside from bikes being more expensive from a dealer, what's so bad about getting a bike from them? At least you can be confident that it's not a piece of poo poo that will die in 500 miles.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Just curious, aside from bikes being more expensive from a dealer, what's so bad about getting a bike from them? At least you can be confident that it's not a piece of poo poo that will die in 500 miles.

as soon as you turn the key to take it home resale value takes a dive.

With a used bike you could ride it for a year and not have as much depreciation

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Well there's quite a good number of dealers who will happily sell you a bike that will die in 501 miles. Laws vary from state to state, but usually warranties on used bikes from dealers are extremely limited or non-existent. If you're a good buyer a know what you're looking for, you might be able to spot problems and call them out on it, but maybe not. Buying from a dealer doesn't guarantee you a problem-free bike.

I mean, I guess dealers have their place, but their place is usually taking advantage of the un-informed.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Tsaven Nava posted:

Talk me out of it. For the love of god, please talk me out of it. I shouldn't be spending money, I don't have a job!

Shutup and buy it.

(it looks nice, and the chain is nice and clean so hopefully he took care of it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Tsaven Nava posted:

Going to look at this on Sunday: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531794

Considering I'm looking to buy PlasticSun's GS650 similarly (a bit less) farkled for $5000 this spring/summer, you'd be an idiot to not have that already in your care and feeding.