Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Tsaven Nava posted:

Going to look at this on Sunday: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531794

Talk me out of it. For the love of god, please talk me out of it. I shouldn't be spending money, I don't have a job!

Leave the money with him and go out and ride it for a while before you actually buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Would I be stupid for buying a ninja 250 when i'm riding a GS500?

I sat on one and felt how stupidly light hey are and was thinking I could have fun on one of these even if they are less powerful than what i'm riding.

I'm seeing some pretty good examples of pre 2008's for < 2000$

hell, I just love motorcycles now

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I love Ninja 250s. If I had the room I would always have a 250 in the stable. I love them.
I just put a set of springs and emulators in a friends '04. It went from a great bike to ride to just amazing.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
They're awesome bikes, and can handle being wound out for days on end if you like touring, though those 6k mile service intervals come pretty quickly.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Oh, Craigslist, land of overpriced poo poo (here, anyway...)
Why must you tempt me?

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1491592121.html

Looks like it needs a Streefighter headlight/digital gauges treatment to me...

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Honestly, if my girlfriend weren't getting one I'd probably pick up a cheap one (seen some good ones here for way sub $1k) to toss around. Just sitting on 'em in a store did inspire all sorts of "WEEEEEEEE" thoughts in me.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Jabs posted:

Oh, Craigslist, land of overpriced poo poo (here, anyway...)
Why must you tempt me?

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1491592121.html

Looks like it needs a Streefighter headlight/digital gauges treatment to me...

I don't think $700 is overpriced for that, unless that specific year has famous reliability problems or something. That sounds like it could be awesome.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/1526752676.html

should I buy the cumbike?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

soy posted:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/1526752676.html

should I buy the cumbike?

Yes.

Then become friends with a bail bondsman.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/1507103391.html

Guy said he's flexible on price. What is a fair offer?

Said he'd be ok with a deposit/layaway to hold it which would be nice since I can't buy it outright for about 2 weeks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

soy posted:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/1507103391.html

Guy said he's flexible on price. What is a fair offer?

Said he'd be ok with a deposit/layaway to hold it which would be nice since I can't buy it outright for about 2 weeks.

Honestly, that's already a pretty decent price. If you could get him down to 2500$, that'd be drat near deal of the century status. loving DRZs hold their value like crazy. I'd say that he's already being nice by letting you put a deposit on it, so more than a few hundred would be probably pushing it. If I had the cash in hand, I'd show up with 2500$ and if I really needed to, go to the ATM to pull out up to 500 more.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I was thinking only a couple hundred off really. With the deposit and all..

Offered $2800 with a $300 deposit. Would be loving awesome if I could get this, as it's about $1700 cheaper than every other DRZ I've seen for sale within 200 miles of LA that didn't look like poo poo.

soy fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 29, 2009

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like I'm going out to see the bike tomorrow night. :v:

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Soy, if you don't buy that bike, I will personally come to your house and pee on your carpet.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tsaven Nava posted:

Going to look at this on Sunday: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531794

Talk me out of it. For the love of god, please talk me out of it. I shouldn't be spending money, I don't have a job!

The front wobbles when you let go of the grips at 80 kph with a full load of luggage. It bucks a bit at low altitude. The stock windscreen buffets at any setting, and to exorcise it you either need a dorky-rear end gigantoscreen or the unobtanium Euro Short shield that sticks your helmet in free moving air. It's top-heavier than many bikes and prone to tipping if you don't treat it nice at low speeds. It's heavy for a true offroad bike and it's got important bits in the way of the rocks where a perimeter-frame bike has convenient attachment points for more armor. The seat is just high enough that you have to board it like a horse (left foot on left peg, swing right leg over). Depending on your preferred stance it'll eat your back. If you get on a Great Big Highway you may feel a little lost.

OTOH it'll do 100 mph without complaint, it'll go for-loving-ever with little more than oil changes and chain maintenance, it's incredibly natural-feeling, it's very spacious, it handles fast, it eats secondary highway and gravel road alive, it hasn't changed much since the first model year (biggest ones were fuel injection and a longer swingarm), and if properly equipped with some variety of sidebag, it's got enough storage space to do you for another lap around North America.

It's a compromise bike, but it's a very good compromise. Seconding Zen, wangle a test ride with the seller if you haven't already.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

well gently caress

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1530228945.html

He lowered the price and posted pictures. Now it's $350, and it looks like it's in drat good shape. I've got a buddy with a truck, or at least can get a tow, and I don't know, I could probably knock it down to $300. I just gotta make sure he has a title, because I don't want to deal with a non-titled bike, even for $300.

I had basically told myself "Don't worry about it, just buy a bike later when you have some more cash and can get the bike you want for sure" but at this deal, hell, if I got it running I could at least make some money on it.

Why shouldn't I buy it?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tsaven Nava posted:

Soy, if you don't buy that bike, I will personally come to your house and pee on your carpet.

That's ok because I actually need to replace my carpet anyways..

But yeah, if I don't buy it it'll only be because he sells it between now and when I give the deposit. (or I see it and it's completely hosed, which I doubt)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Korwen posted:

well gently caress

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1530228945.html

He lowered the price and posted pictures. Now it's $350, and it looks like it's in drat good shape. I've got a buddy with a truck, or at least can get a tow, and I don't know, I could probably knock it down to $300. I just gotta make sure he has a title, because I don't want to deal with a non-titled bike, even for $300.

I had basically told myself "Don't worry about it, just buy a bike later when you have some more cash and can get the bike you want for sure" but at this deal, hell, if I got it running I could at least make some money on it.

Why shouldn't I buy it?

Ask AncientTV about spending 7 months rebuilding his EX500. His even ran in the guy's garage.

Are you prepared to spend a shitload of time and effort getting the bike running if it's hosed? I mean, it could just need one minor thing, it could have major problems.

If there's no title, run. I probably wouldn't pay more than 200$ for it, considering there may be back taxes on when it was registered, depending on your state. If it's fantastic condition, maybe 300. Also, just tires can push another 300$ on top of the purchase cost...I don't know if it's a shafty or not, but if it's not, chain and sprocket will be another 100$, and suddenly you've dumped 700$ into a non-running bike. Carb rebuild kit's anywhere from 100-200$, title transfer fees, and then you're a grand into a 200$ bike...

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 30, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Z3n posted:

considering there may be back taxes on when it was registered, depending on your state.

Not a problem in Texas far as I know.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Z3n pretty much covered it all, and pretty accurately at that. Since it's not running, unless you have a good deal of mechanical skill and a place to work on it, you may want to pass. Ultimately it's your call, and I'd be a hypocrite if I said it was a stupid idea, but just be sure you're aware of what you might be getting into and be willing to accept it.

Personal example - I purchased a running GS850 that needed some work for 600, and then promptly put another 185 for tires and inspection, 50 for a battery, 100 for OEM gaskets and seals, another chunk of cash for other assorted items like new grips, fuses and wiring repairs, oil, filter, brake fluid, gear oil and other bullshit items, 250 to replace the stator and regulator when they took a poo poo a month after I started riding it, and then 60 for a replacement fuel petcock.

All told I have around 1500 in the bike, and that's not counting insurance and registration. I don't regret it, mind you, but I also had my car to drive around in, a good collection of tools already, and a pretty solid mechanical background.

Which part of Austin are you in? If you REALLY want to check it out and would like a second set of eyes, lemme know (I'm in Pflugerville) and I'll try to sneak away from my visiting inlaws. :)

edit - agreeing, no title = run

Raven457 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 30, 2009

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Phy posted:

Why the Wee-Strom is good and bad

It's a compromise bike, but it's a very good compromise. Seconding Zen, wangle a test ride with the seller if you haven't already.

Honestly, going from my current bike ('97 Virago 750), the Wee will be light-years ahead in almost every single measurable aspect. The things that the Wee doesn't do well are the things that my current bike doesn't do AT ALL.

I've got quite long legs, so mounting it isn't a problem. I went to a dealer to sit on a Wee again, and while the seating position does feel a little cramped with my long legs, I think getting the taller seat and lowering the pegs an inch or so will make a world of different. I still wish the pegs were about 5" farther forward, but eh, I guess I'll learn to live with it.

The bike I'm looking at has the Givi crash bars, which don't come down far enough to put footpegs on. I'm looking at some other crash bar kits that are lower and protect the engine better, that I could probably put highway pegs on.

Also, what's people's take on a fair price for this bike? http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531794 I'll definitely be taking it with the hard bags, but that does seem like a lot for a bike with 50k miles. (I say as I've got 62k miles on my Vgo)

StonedogJones
Mar 13, 2006

Tsaven Nava posted:

Honestly, going from my current bike ('97 Virago 750), the Wee will be light-years ahead in almost every single measurable aspect. The things that the Wee doesn't do well are the things that my current bike doesn't do AT ALL.

I've got quite long legs, so mounting it isn't a problem. I went to a dealer to sit on a Wee again, and while the seating position does feel a little cramped with my long legs, I think getting the taller seat and lowering the pegs an inch or so will make a world of different. I still wish the pegs were about 5" farther forward, but eh, I guess I'll learn to live with it.

The bike I'm looking at has the Givi crash bars, which don't come down far enough to put footpegs on. I'm looking at some other crash bar kits that are lower and protect the engine better, that I could probably put highway pegs on.

Also, what's people's take on a fair price for this bike? http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531794 I'll definitely be taking it with the hard bags, but that does seem like a lot for a bike with 50k miles. (I say as I've got 62k miles on my Vgo)

The price isnt horrible, but given he has had no bites in that thread and says he is leaving the country "soon" you could probably knock him down on price a bit. 50k miles is not a ton for that engine.

I have a 2009 Wee and they're great bikes, when I first sat on it at the dealership I too thought it was cramped (I am 6ft3) and I purchased highway pegs to go with the Pat Walsh guards/skid plate. I rarely use the highway pegs as it just doesnt feel as cramped as it did when i first sat on it.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Is a salvage title on a sportbike generally something to be avoided at all costs?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tsaven Nava posted:

I figure that'd be a decent price for it in Canadian, I've got no sense of American prices. Find out how well the rear shock is working, I've read some reports of them giving up at around 50-60k but I don't know if that's normal for the bike or if it's just vocal internet people on the poo poo end of the reliability curve.

I've read more'n a few complaints about the Givi bars vibrating like stink. Mine vibrate, but I can only tell if I touch them while the bike is moving, they don't transmit any vibe to the frame. I don't think I'd want to hang highway pegs off them.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Buying the loving drz on Wednesday. It's been a long loving 3 months of patiently waiting :ssj:

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Phy posted:

I figure that'd be a decent price for it in Canadian, I've got no sense of American prices. Find out how well the rear shock is working, I've read some reports of them giving up at around 50-60k but I don't know if that's normal for the bike or if it's just vocal internet people on the poo poo end of the reliability curve.

I've read more'n a few complaints about the Givi bars vibrating like stink. Mine vibrate, but I can only tell if I touch them while the bike is moving, they don't transmit any vibe to the frame. I don't think I'd want to hang highway pegs off them.

What's the best way to test the rear shock? Just bounce the rear of the bike a bunch and see what happens?

I think the Givi bars are too tall to mount pegs too. Also, I don't like how they don't seem to give much protection to the actual engine. These seem to offer a good deal more protection: http://patwalshdesigns.com/guard.html And they look low enough that I could find somewhere to put my current pegs (rather then spending $50 on theirs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

infraboy posted:

Is a salvage title on a sportbike generally something to be avoided at all costs?

No, not if you know what you're looking for. I've owned and rebuilt a number of them and they're fine as long as they've been fixed correctly. It's easy to salvage a motorcycle, you just need to know why it was salvaged and have it very well looked over before you buy it. It will always tank resale, but if you're planning on riding a bike into the ground or tracking it, there are great deals out there.

Tsaven, at 50k you're going to need to replace the rear shock. It's gonna have no damping and basically just be a spring.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

It will always tank resale, but if you're planning on riding a bike into the ground or tracking it, there are great deals out there.
Conversely, (presuming the bike checks out) if you're not going to ride it into the ground or track it, wouldn't a salvage title just be a ticket to "Buy Lower Now, Sell Lower Later"?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jabs posted:

Conversely, (presuming the bike checks out) if you're not going to ride it into the ground or track it, wouldn't a salvage title just be a ticket to "Buy Lower Now, Sell Lower Later"?

It can be difficult to sell salvage title bikes due to the stigma associated with them. That's the other big downside besides the hit on resale.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Jabs posted:

A salvage title on a sport bike doesn't necessarily carry the same stigma it does with a newer car. Generally, one good drop even in the driveway can salvage a newish midrange sport bike with full fairings at OE fairing prices. It then looks like crap because its been dropped, but this is really just the equivalent of a small fender bender with a car. As long as the frame isn't damaged, it really isn't a big deal to a prospective buyer.

If you buy this salvaged bike and slap cheap non-OE or takeoff fairings on there, you'll still generally have spent well under the price of a similar example without a salvage title. The price difference is often large enough that you can still make a profit selling at a discount due to the salvage title. If you've got a salvage titled bike, selling it is usually quite a bit easier if you have pictures of the damage that caused it to be salvaged and/or can show that the frame wasn't damaged.

So it might be 'Buy Low Now, Fix Bike, Sell Higher Than Invested'

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
OK, so they're not nearly the risk that a salvaged car is, especially if you're not in a hurry to sell it down the road.

I'll adjust my craigslist-drooling filters appropriately then. =)

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I know I probably haven't been riding long enough to have a 600CC sport bike yet but god drat this just looks tempting.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1530873433.html

Panoplied Platypus
Dec 21, 2005

Head-First into Glory!
I'm moving to a new apartment that will take my daily commute down from over 50 miles to a little less than 2 miles. It seems a waste to drive such a short commute in my car when the weather is decent, so I've been thinking about alternatives. I considered getting a bicycle, but the street my apartment sits on is the busiest street in the city and it has no bike lane. In addition, there is basically a major 6-lane road sitting between my work and my apartment, and getting across it is annoying enough in a car.

So, that leads me towards getting a motorbike. I would like to get something slow, comfortable, and somewhat reliable (or at least easy to service). The only caveat is that I'm rather picky about aesthetics, and I don't like the look of most scooters, cruisers, or sport-bikes. The motorcycles that I like aesthetically are the older BMW R-series (like the R50, 60, 75...) and many of the old British cafe-racer style bikes (the Triumph T140 seems a common example).

Would my best option be to try to track down one of these older bikes? Are they a good option for a first bike to be used for darting across the city? Is there something newer which has a similar look that I could get for a reasonable price (I'm thinking $5000 or so, but I really don't know what to expect here and the lower the better obviously)?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
For two miles, is walking out of the question?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

moped

Panoplied Platypus
Dec 21, 2005

Head-First into Glory!

Phy posted:

For two miles, is walking out of the question?

I would love to walk, but about 5 blocks is through a very bad neighborhood and I often work late, so I'm not quite comfortable with the walk home.

blugu64 posted:

moped

Ok, anything more specific you can offer? I've googled "moped" and it seems they are limited to about 30 mph. That might be enough for the work commute (I'd have to check, I don't know exactly what each street's limit is), but my real concern there is that this city sits on a river, and there are a lot of places I would normally go that are within a couple miles, but on the other side of the river, so I have to go over a bridge with a 50mph speed limit. Would that be reasonable with a moped?

Panoplied Platypus fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 2, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Overpriced Balloons posted:

I would love to walk, but about 5 blocks is through a very bad neighborhood and I often work late, so I'm not quite comfortable with the walk home.
Concealed Carry permit? Pepper Spray? Both?

Define "Very Bad".

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Who cares what it looks like, it's a scooter, you're not going to be impressing anyone other than other scooter nerds. You're also only riding it for minutes at a time. Seems silly to be so hung up on something that you'll have to interact with for like 10 minutes a day.

Also, most mopeds aren't gonna do 50+. You're typically going to want a 150-250cc scooter for that, and they tend to all look the same. At least tbey're comfortable, though.

Panoplied Platypus
Dec 21, 2005

Head-First into Glory!

Jabs posted:

Concealed Carry permit? Pepper Spray? Both?

Define "Very Bad".

The place I work had to put up a barbed-wire fence because people's cars kept getting stolen or broken into. The murder rate is 3 times the national average and the neighborhood where my job is had at least 6 or 7 shootings that I can remember this year (because the police presence disrupted my commute). There is a welfare (or unemployment, I'm not sure which actually) office across the street, which often has a nice line of lovely people outside in the morning, and a park next to that which is a great place to meet a crackhead.

It's bad enough that I'm willing to pay a couple thousand dollars for motorized transport to avoid walking through it.

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

Who cares what it looks like, it's a scooter, you're not going to be impressing anyone other than other scooter nerds. You're also only riding it for minutes at a time. Seems silly to be so hung up on something that you'll have to interact with for like 10 minutes a day.

I'm not hoping to impress anyone, I just tend to get obsessively interested in everything I buy, and I enjoy having something that I like and that I can feel good about using and maybe putting a little money into. If it turns out that getting something like a BMW R60 is completely out of the question, then fine, I'll get something utilitarian that doesn't look as cool. But, if I can get something I like and will enjoy owning, why wouldn't I?

Panoplied Platypus fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Overpriced Balloons posted:

But, if I can get something I like and will enjoy owning, why wouldn't I?

Do you have garage space to work on your motorcycle? If not, getting a bike made before 1990 may be a gamble, especially because, at least in Connecticut, a lot of bike shops won't work on 80's bikes. Also, you won't need to spend anywhere near $5,000 for a used older bike. More like between $1,000 and $1,500, depending on the bike and the condition of it.