Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ion
Mar 23, 2004

by Peatpot

WS6 97 posted:

I am 26, will finish undegrad (MIS/Finance)when I am about 30 (just started taking classes). I work as a part time Supervisor (past 3 years) in a large shipping company. I'm curious if I can get into an MBA program with the Part time management experience I have? I'm salary to 27.5 hours a week. So when I graduate I'll have 7-8 years part time work experience. If not will it count for anything? I'm either looking at Penn State or University of Maryland for the MBA, Thanks

Penn State has a pretty drat good presence on Wall Street despite being a public school and not Ivy, if you're interested in finance/technology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

ion posted:

consulting doesn't care about your background. finance tends to, however. MBA's used to be super popular for career switchers, but nowadays, because people tend to work after undergrad and delay med/law school by 1-5 years, that's a lot of top notch talent that MBA programs are trying to poach, and is really driving the recruitment age of MBA's down. meaning you have to either have good experience before MBA (usually requiring high grades), or super grades/leadership experience.

top MBA programs hardly ever admit middle aged career switchers anymore. it leeches from the money-making executive MBA programs they have.

MBAs are still extremely popular for career switchers. People who have really good IT experience tend to just be smart people, so with top business degrees, they tend to be able to nab those finance/consulting jobs. I've known plenty of kids to work at my office for several years before going back for an MBA and switching to more lucrative careers.

Though I'd most likely agree with you on middle aged career switchers, that's not what MBA programs are popular for (I wish we were wrong, I'd consider going for it). 26-28 year old career switchers with 5 years of IT experience, however, career switching is huge at MBA programs.

edit:

BeatTheGMAT posted:

Want to use an MBA to change careers? You won’t be alone. Top business schools report that between 75% and 90% of their students do intend to leverage their MBA to move into a new industry, or a new job within their industry.

http://www.beatthegmat.com/a/2009/09/26/branching-out-using-an-mba-to-switch-careers

Don Wrigley fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 9, 2009

ion
Mar 23, 2004

by Peatpot

Don Wrigley posted:

MBAs are still extremely popular for career switchers. People who have really good IT experience tend to just be smart people, so with top business degrees, they tend to be able to nab those finance/consulting jobs. I've known plenty of kids to work at my office for several years before going back for an MBA and switching to more lucrative careers.

Though I'd most likely agree with you on middle aged career switchers, that's not what MBA programs are popular for (I wish we were wrong, I'd consider going for it). 26-28 year old career switchers with 5 years of IT experience, however, career switching is huge at MBA programs.

edit:

http://www.beatthegmat.com/a/2009/09/26/branching-out-using-an-mba-to-switch-careers
I don't disagree that people use MBA programs to switch careers. But it's not the cohort that business schools want to attract -- these days, they want the cream of the crop. They want young, academically-excelling students that demonstrate interest in business.

And so do the investment banks and consulting firms with routine long-hour analyst positions. They want single individuals with no kids, so that when the managing director asks you to work over the weekend on an important project, it's much easier to get them to do it. It's much harder to ask and get the thirty year old with two kids to come in during a Saturday. Younger people put work first, personal life second.

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small
I realize that most people in this thread seem to be more familiar with US schools than international ones but does anyone have any opinions on IE Business School in Madrid? It's been rising through the rankings pretty steadily but it's a very young program (The English language MBA is no more than 6 yrs or so) so it doesn't have the same brand name recognition of other schools.

I'm interested in it in because it's in the same vein as INSEAD (though obviously not as prestigious) in that it has a very global focus and is hellbent on diversity. My eventual goal is to go into operations management within Europe/Asia. The top US schools would obviously give me inroads to that goal as well but the focus and experience of the program at a school like IE would be very different.

4th of July
Jun 17, 2007

Just finished my application to Kellogg - wish me luck!

In general, how accurate are any school's assessments of extra costs associated with attending a program (outside of tuition)?

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?
Does anyone have any experience with the TMMBA program at UW? It seems designed specifically for me.

About the program, the TMMBA is an 18 month MBA program with emphasis on the tech sector. It's designed for individuals working a full-time job, classes eat one evening a week and one Saturday every other week. It's an agressive time commitment, but I'm confident that I can handle it. Program fees are about $65k, all inclusive. The curriculum is all pre-determined, no electives. The classes are also held just a few miles from my home and work.

Me, I'm a systems administrator at a smallish SaaS company looking to move up into a product development/management role, hopefully but not necessarily with my current employer. I've also got some academic interests in marketing, but I'm not sure that I'd want to work in marketing. All of the marketing folks I've known seem to spend a lot of time making poo poo up and hoping it drives demand, my interest in marketing is as a practical application of psychology and behavioral econ.

Systems administrator duties can very a lot depending on where you work, so to clarify, I'm not help desk. For the past couple of months most of my time has been spent designing and implementing data collection solutions for customers. I've also designed tools to manage our production cluster, I designed our maintenance notification system that runs on Google App Engine, and many other minor things, like an internal tool to send email notifications to employees before their password expire. Most of these things I conceived of myself, some were thought up by management and I implemented them. I just started angling for a promotion to a position that doesn't exist yet in this company, Operations Engineer.

I'm about a month away from turning 25, and I've been with the company for about a year and a half. Before this I was working a lame help desk role at a beverage company. Before that I was the student manager of my school's help desk. Undergrad GPA was 3.78, graduated cum laude. I haven't yet taken or started studying for GMATs.

I've liked just about everything I've seen so far in the program literature, but I'd like some feedback after reading through this thread. Some posters have said that programs not from top schools are worthless, and I'm worried that might be true. Program fees are $65k, I'm currently making $70k, and it looks like the average salary for product development in my area is about $76k according to indeed.com, and about $100k according to salary.com. I could see myself making a comparable salary without the MBA, though I'm not sure how I'd end up in product development, where I'd like to be, without one. Is it worth it?

I'd also love to hear from anyone with experience with this specific program, or with graduate business programs at UW.

The Rising Suun
May 10, 2006

watch out I'm ornery
Can anyone be more specific about the problems with the Princeton Review GMAT material? I've ordered the Manhattan books, but I've decided to dive into PR until they get here. Taking it December 19. I ask because I used a PR book for the GRE and the practice tests pretty much predicted my actual score.

I've only got one MBA app - Oregon. It's all because of the Warsaw Sports Marketing Center. I'm applying to a couple master's in marketing/research that also require the GMAT.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

The Rising Suun posted:

Can anyone be more specific about the problems with the Princeton Review GMAT material? I've ordered the Manhattan books, but I've decided to dive into PR until they get here. Taking it December 19. I ask because I used a PR book for the GRE and the practice tests pretty much predicted my actual score.

I've only got one MBA app - Oregon. It's all because of the Warsaw Sports Marketing Center. I'm applying to a couple master's in marketing/research that also require the GMAT.

I used Princeton Review sparingly and got a 680. Some of the tools were useful and I personally have no real complaints.

Super Locrian
Jul 3, 2003
Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.
I just got my first acceptance letter, and while I am ecstatic, I can't help but be disappointed that there isn't any scholarship offer. Is it possible that they notify applicants of scholarships later down the road, or am I just kidding myself?

Also they said I have to commit my letter of intent by January 4. I thought it was April 15? I likely won't even have heard back from all of my other schools by January 4, can they really make me commit sooner?

dvs112
Oct 24, 2008
I just finish the first semester of my MBA program. I have a CS undergraduate degree but I am increasingly interested in finance. Do you folks have any tips on how to move into finance without job experience? I am in the Minneapolis area, which has a number of hedge funds, private equity firms, and some smaller investment banks. I've heard furious networking can help land a job here, but are there any things I can focus on over the next few years to get my poo poo together for an interview close to graduation?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

dvs112 posted:

I just finish the first semester of my MBA program. I have a CS undergraduate degree but I am increasingly interested in finance. Do you folks have any tips on how to move into finance without job experience? I am in the Minneapolis area, which has a number of hedge funds, private equity firms, and some smaller investment banks. I've heard furious networking can help land a job here, but are there any things I can focus on over the next few years to get my poo poo together for an interview close to graduation?

Focus on getting a finance internship next summer.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
Last day of my third semester. Four more semesters to go.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
So, what's the lowest GMAT score you've heard of an admitted student having?

(Hell yeah I'm worried about my learning difficulties in Mathematics wrecking my performance. On the Kaplan initial diagnostic I scored 370 :( )

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Agent Escalus posted:

(Hell yeah I'm worried about my learning difficulties in Mathematics wrecking my performance. On the Kaplan initial diagnostic I scored 370 :( )

Depends on the school. For a lot of the local/unknown schools, the requirement, especially if you did your undergrad at the school, is that you take the GMAT.

What's your learning difficulty? You can probably get an untimed test.

illis
Apr 6, 2009
So I will be going to get my MBA from Ivey in Canada next year. Anyone know where I can apply for scholarships? On the Ivey site they give a few examples but I am having a hard time finding legit scholarships, its all sign up for MasterCard, be entered for 200 dollar "scholarship"

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

I wanted to share some videos from the MBA follies show that I'm a part of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7nz1TgUsvU

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZrbOhebTaQ

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Agent Escalus posted:

What kinds of schools are you looking at? That's gonna keep you out of any full time programs, but it might not prevent you from enrolling in a local evening program.

If you're scoring that low though you probably should consider how successful you'd be in an MBA program. Do you think you'll be able to keep your head above water in statistics and finance type classes?

Modus
Aug 3, 2005
Sorry if this has already been discussed but I just found this thread via a search and I'm just starting to browse through it now.

Coming from a community college and just recently transferring to a 4 year, how much emphasis is put on your transcript and general attendance from the cc? Basically, I was your average community college slacker. Taking a few courses here and there, dropping a few, etc. and I recently just turned around and got my poo poo together at uni, with good GPA and such. Is there any hope for a prospective MBA in my future or will I get turned away for my less than stellar community college performance?

Edit: Well I guess this falls under #14 over the first post. Ignore this then, unless someone has any anecdotal advice they wish to dispense.

Modus fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 22, 2009

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002
Anyone else getting hung out to dry by campus career services for summer internships? If anyone knows of specific MBA-summer-intern job boards, that'd be a massive help right now.

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!
Hey guys, I am currently a med student at UCLA and I've always had some passing interesting in getting an MBA. I found out that Anderson (our business school) loves taking its own med students and the MBA program for us is only a year. Thus when I finish med school I'll have an MD/MBA. I have an acquaintance who has completed the program at my school and he said it's almost a non-issue to be accepted, and that if you can handle the MCAT, you can handle the GMAT.

My question to you guys is about the value of the MBA. Will it give me any kind of appreciable skills or is it just a degree that would enhance an already established career. As you can probably tell, I don't have an established career as I am not a doctor yet, and thus I come to you guys for advice. I guess what I am looking for is just pros/cons to getting this degree and if it opens any doors that were previously closed with only an MD degree. Thanks for the advice.

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

I don't know what their focus is in the UCLA MBA, but at least with our MBA, the skills you'd learn are stuff like how to do a corporate valuation or conjoint marketing analysis, which I don't believe would help you at all with your medical career.

That said, we have a joint MD/MBA in our program at Columbia and I'd be happy to put you in touch with him.

flyingfoggy
Jun 3, 2006

My fellow Obamas...

Totally Negro posted:

Hey guys, I am currently a med student at UCLA and I've always had some passing interesting in getting an MBA. I found out that Anderson (our business school) loves taking its own med students and the MBA program for us is only a year. Thus when I finish med school I'll have an MD/MBA. I have an acquaintance who has completed the program at my school and he said it's almost a non-issue to be accepted, and that if you can handle the MCAT, you can handle the GMAT.

My question to you guys is about the value of the MBA. Will it give me any kind of appreciable skills or is it just a degree that would enhance an already established career. As you can probably tell, I don't have an established career as I am not a doctor yet, and thus I come to you guys for advice. I guess what I am looking for is just pros/cons to getting this degree and if it opens any doors that were previously closed with only an MD degree. Thanks for the advice.

Not that I have any experience with the issue, but my thoughts would be that if you just want to become a doctor it probably won't help. It might help if you wanted to possibly join some kind of health related private equity firm or work in strategy or management at some kind of biotech or healthcare firm or something of that sort.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Totally Negro posted:

Unless you plan to be a higher up at some kind of health care company or something I don't see how it can possibly benefit you.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It has been stated before but, if you're going to get your MBA, get it from a top tier school and be sure you know where you're taking your career. Don't go right into your MBA after your undergrad and don't just go to any school even if it is accredited properly. Sigh, otherwise the ball will roll over you.

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!
Thanks for the tips dudes. Sounds like being a higher up in some health care oriented corporation could be a pretty sweet gig. I will definitely look more into this MBA deal. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Also, I know nothing of tiers within the MBA world. How does UCLA's business school hold its weight against some of the east coast giants? Keep in mind I plan on living/practicing/working/dying in LA so perhaps UCLA's business school has more sway within the confines of LA as opposed to somewhere else.

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy

Gatts posted:

It has been stated before but, if you're going to get your MBA, get it from a top tier school and be sure you know where you're taking your career. Don't go right into your MBA after your undergrad and don't just go to any school even if it is accredited properly. Sigh, otherwise the ball will roll over you.

Yes and no. Naturally, only a tiny percentage of people enrolled in any MBA program anywhere are in the top schools. Thus, the wide majority of people in MBA programs are there to advance their careers, switch fields, turn a pretty average undergrad experience into a better grad school one, et al. I don't see a problem with getting an MBA for any of those reasons.

I do agree about not going directly into grad school from undergrad. Prove yourself in the real world first.

amateur economist
Nov 12, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Harry posted:

Unless you plan to be a higher up at some kind of health care company or something I don't see how it can possibly benefit you.

MBA/MD from UCLA sounds like it would be pretty good McKinsey material, if you didn't want to practice medicine

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Thoguh posted:

What kinds of schools are you looking at? That's gonna keep you out of any full time programs, but it might not prevent you from enrolling in a local evening program.

If you're scoring that low though you probably should consider how successful you'd be in an MBA program. Do you think you'll be able to keep your head above water in statistics and finance type classes?

Well, keep in mind that was the diagnostic result of my first day at the Kaplan cram course - I haven't written the GMAT itself yet.

As for schools? Just three: NYU, Columbia, and Berkeley.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Is an MBA a good fit if I'm not interested in Wall Street?

I'm finishing up a bachelor's in information science, and would eventually like to transition from a tech role into managment. I'm interested in a program that focuses on information systems or marketing (which more and more involves technology instead of traditional media)

Should I try and take the GMAT while in school, or wait until I'm out for a while? (I had planned to work for 4-5 years before going back, since from what I've read this is the best way to get the most out of the program)

Also, is it possible to find practice GMATs? Obviously the correlation won't be exact, but taking one would give me an idea of how well I'd expect to do on the GMAT.

Or will most schools take the GRE instead? (I've been considering going to grad school for public policy as well, and most of these programs expect GREs not GMATs, it'd be a bit hard to study for both)

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 4, 2010

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
MBAs aren't just for Wall Street. Many companies would like their potential managers to get an MBA but it depends on where you are at in your career and if you can move to management. There are programs that incorporate MIS into their management degrees.

Eg: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/information-systems

You'll have to check with the school and their program but generally for MBAs they accept GMAT. For MS programs some say you have to do the GRE. Keep in mind that GMAT scores are accepted for 5 years.

There is a ton of material out there and you can take sample tests either through classes or buying a GMAT study book. It's been 5 years and I'm retaking the GMAT to get back to grad school but I'm finding I have to do a lot of refreshing. From some of the links I've been reading there are a series of books by Manhattan GMAT that are quite good and are recommended.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-prep-books-recommendations-74310.html

http://www.beatthegmat.com/forums

Gatts fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 4, 2010

The Rising Suun
May 10, 2006

watch out I'm ornery
I bought the Manhattan books and the Princeton Review guide. Manhattan books are much better. They do a better job of preparation for each question type and diagnosing each problem.

I got a 650 this morning, wish I had taken a class. gently caress.

OK, so I have time to retake it, but get in on a later round of admissions. Im pretty good on everything (GPA, recs, extras, no real essays just statement of purpose) except work experience, it'll be one month shy of two years when I would enroll in August, two years being the minimum for the program I am targeting (yeah they make exceptions). They have a minimum score of 600. Would it be worth it to retake the GMAT and send my application in the next round?

nm. Think I'll stay with that score. Im above the mean & median. Also their middle 80 for work exp is 9 months(!) to 110, so I think I'll be cool.

The Rising Suun fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 5, 2010

Modern Life Is War
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not just eye candy
I used:
GMAT Premier Program 2008 Edition by Kaplan
Cracking the GMAT 2008 by The Princeton Review
The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 11th Edition

I also had Kaplan GMAT 800 2008-2009 Edition by Kaplan but ran out of time and didn't use it.

jamcadbury
Nov 12, 2004
South Side Mexican
Has anybody used (or know somebody who has used) the GMAT Pill study method? There are some very rave reviews from users (notably here and here), but they're limited in number and I suspect this would act as more of a supplement to traditional book-learning methods, given that there's apparently no coverage of the problem solving section in this package. Any thoughts?

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I'm going into the Marine Officer Candidate School (OCS) later this year
and I was wondering how helpful is military officer experience in terms of MBA admissions?

Marine Recruiters want to talk it up like its a golden ticket to a school of your choice, which of courses instantly inspires skepticism, but I guess some schools think it is useful for weekend retreats : http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article.cfm?articleid=375

I have a B.A. from Northwestern, average grades, but I don't have any business experience. Assuming I can get an good/average GMAT score, and I tack on my 3.5 year tour of duty as a Marine Officer, do I have a shot at some of the tier 1 MBA programs? I imagine I'd get brownie points for leadership, but I don't know if my background is applicable enough for an MBA program. What do you guys think?

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

My school is top tier and has its fair share of armed services officers. Whether the Marines are better at it than one of the other services I can't say, they all seem to get a couple in.

Most of their backgrounds are similar to yours with varying lengths of service. What you need to make sure of is to get experience within that period which you can write about in your applications.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

jamcadbury posted:

Has anybody used (or know somebody who has used) the GMAT Pill study method? There are some very rave reviews from users (notably here and here), but they're limited in number and I suspect this would act as more of a supplement to traditional book-learning methods, given that there's apparently no coverage of the problem solving section in this package. Any thoughts?

Just going by how shady the site looks, I wouldn't pay 240 bucks for it.

And that's only one "pill".

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Well I got waitlisted from Georgetown. It was the only school I ended up applying to since I decided I need to be in the DC metro area. I now really regret not finishing applying to the other schools that were on my list, since I've missed the deadline to be competitive for scholarship money. I might end up throwing an app at George Mason as a safety school. I know it's not even ranked but it's about 1/3 the cost of Georgetown and I'd be shocked if I didn't get in.

Mr. Pool posted:

I'm going into the Marine Officer Candidate School (OCS) later this year
and I was wondering how helpful is military officer experience in terms of MBA admissions?

Marine Recruiters want to talk it up like its a golden ticket to a school of your choice, which of courses instantly inspires skepticism, but I guess some schools think it is useful for weekend retreats : http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article.cfm?articleid=375

I have a B.A. from Northwestern, average grades, but I don't have any business experience. Assuming I can get an good/average GMAT score, and I tack on my 3.5 year tour of duty as a Marine Officer, do I have a shot at some of the tier 1 MBA programs? I imagine I'd get brownie points for leadership, but I don't know if my background is applicable enough for an MBA program. What do you guys think?

Frankly I think officer experience would be outstanding, since it is basically leadership and management. If you're a platoon leader you will be in charge of what, 40 people, and probably $1million+ of equipment? Whether you're a pogue or infantry you will be able to spin that in a mighty impressive way. You will be very competitive within your age group. Good luck at OCS, PT your rear end off before you go. :)

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here
Military experience can be hugely useful. I am an MBA1 at a top-tier school and there are at least four US military students in the class (including two Marines) plus one foreign military. They all have no non-military work experience, and the plan seems to be to do the MBA, get a job in consulting or strategy at a larger firm, and then leave after a few years to start their own business.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Thanks for the responses. Based on what you guys have said, it sounds like officers have some good options. I'll have to use that knowledge as motivation so that I can stay out of the 20-50% of the OCS class that won't make the cut, haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

Tyro posted:

Well I got waitlisted from Georgetown. It was the only school I ended up applying to since I decided I need to be in the DC metro area. I now really regret not finishing applying to the other schools that were on my list, since I've missed the deadline to be competitive for scholarship money. I might end up throwing an app at George Mason as a safety school. I know it's not even ranked but it's about 1/3 the cost of Georgetown and I'd be shocked if I didn't get in.

Would you mind posting your gmat,gpa,work experience? My nephew is planning on business school, and he has told me that Georgetown is one of the places he's looking at.