Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panoplied Platypus
Dec 21, 2005

Head-First into Glory!

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Do you have garage space to work on your motorcycle? If not, getting a bike made before 1990 may be a gamble, especially because, at least in Connecticut, a lot of bike shops won't work on 80's bikes. Also, you won't need to spend anywhere near $5,000 for a used older bike. More like between $1,000 and $1,500, depending on the bike and the condition of it.

Yep, the new apartment has a 2-car garage with an attached 10x6 ft storage area. There's plenty of room for my Legacy, my roommate's Miata, and a motorbike or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Overpriced Balloons posted:

All of these reasons why I NEED a bike. No, seriously, there's no other alternatives. I swear.

Man, you don't need to rationalize or justify the wanting of a motorcycle. You just want one, that's plenty of reason to get one :)

Something to consider: Bikes are, on average, more maintenance-intensive then cars, even if a lot of the stuff is pretty minor and the frequency varies greatly from bike to bike. Valves often need to be checked every 5k-15k miles, chains need to be lubed every ~500 miles and replaced every , tires will only last between 5k-10k miles, etc.

Because of that, how much wrenching space and mechanical aptitude you have is going to be pretty important here. If you have a garage or shed or at least a covered area you can work on the bike in, you've got a lot of options. Or if you're willing to pay a shop to working on it, that's fine too, but gets expensive.

If you really aren't interested in any maintenance, scooters might be the way to go. 150-250cc scooters should manage 60mph (with a tailwind), and due to their v-belt drives and lack of power are pretty l0w-maintenance.

If you do want an actual bike, I find it hard to not say Ninja 250cc. Light, powerful enough for commuting and highway usage, excellent (~70mpg) mileage, tons of parts availability, and dirt-cheap. It's got the fairings and styling of a sportbike, but the seating position is actually pretty upright and standard. You can usually find good ones in the $1500 range, and if you really don't want the faired look, you could see about finding a naked one: http://media.photobucket.com/image/streetfighter%20ninja%20250/cardude100/Photo0031-1.jpg

*edit* Even though it gets beaten to death here, figure on spending at least $500 on safety gear. Helmet, jacket, overpants, gloves and boots. If you're commuting on it, figure on rain gear and a second set of warmer gear as well (Although I guess that depends on where you live).

And you ARE going to take the MSF course, right? To assist you in the not dieing?

Tsaven Nava fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 2, 2010

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I would argue that I would much rather deal with the maintenance on a scooter than a car (edit: I see now you mentioned this). Scooters will probably go tens of thousands of miles on oil changes alone, which seem kind of intimidating at first for anyone who's never played mechanic, but take maybe 10 minutes tops after you've done it once. Cars have a ton more poo poo to worry about that is much more difficult to work on if you don't have the tools and experience.

I likely as safe as anyone else here in terms of AGATT but I can't imagine wearing boots and overpants to ride 5 blocks to work. I'd recommend full face helmets and jacket/gloves, though, which are easy enough to take off and store somewhere.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 2, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
If there's a street that's such a pain in the rear end to cross that OPB doesn't want to walk or bike across it, I can't imagine *not* wearing boots and overpants.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Jabs posted:

If there's a street that's such a pain in the rear end to cross that OPB doesn't want to walk or bike across it, I can't imagine *not* wearing boots and overpants.

Do they have bullet and knife proof overpants now or something? The mental image of a crackhead with a knife chasing after a fully geared dude on a scooter is pretty funny though.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

The place I work had to put up a barbed-wire fence because people's cars kept getting stolen or broken into. The murder rate is 3 times the national average and the neighborhood where my job is had at least 6 or 7 shootings that I can remember this year (because the police presence disrupted my commute). There is a welfare (or unemployment, I'm not sure which actually) office across the street, which often has a nice line of lovely people outside in the morning, and a park next to that which is a great place to meet a crackhead.

It's bad enough that I'm willing to pay a couple thousand dollars for motorized transport to avoid walking through it.

I'm not hoping to impress anyone, I just tend to get obsessively interested in everything I buy, and I enjoy having something that I like and that I can feel good about using and maybe putting a little money into. If it turns out that getting something like a BMW R60 is completely out of the question, then fine, I'll get something utilitarian that doesn't look as cool. But, if I can get something I like and will enjoy owning, why wouldn't I?

Also, keep in mind that if they are breaking into cars it is a lot easier to just *walk off* with a motorcycle/scooter.

Panoplied Platypus
Dec 21, 2005

Head-First into Glory!

schreibs posted:

Also, keep in mind that if they are breaking into cars it is a lot easier to just *walk off* with a motorcycle/scooter.

Well yea, but the barbed-wire fence does a good job keeping them out. It's far from impenetrable, but there are other businesses nearby with open lots, so I assume they just go there.

As for gear, I was planning on wearing boots and pants and such because I'm kind of paranoid about both safety and my clothes. I tend to spend a lot on clothes so I really try not to get them messed up.

I've been doing normal maintenance on my cars for a couple years now, so I don't think I'd have any problem doing a bike, and I do have a garage.

Tsaven Nava is probably right, though. I got the idea of getting a bike into my head and I would probably find a rationalization to support it no matter what. I am trying not to get zoned-in on one particular thing, though, since I tend to do that and then regret not exploring my options later. That unfaired ninja doesn't look too bad, I'll try to see if I can find one to look at in person.

Thanks for all the input, I will have to seriously consider exactly what it is I want and then when I have some specific questions I'll probably come back.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

As for gear, I was planning on wearing boots and pants and such because I'm kind of paranoid about both safety and my clothes. I tend to spend a lot on clothes so I really try not to get them messed up.

If you think buying normal clothes is an expensive hobby wait until you venture down the dark path of motorcycle gear.

Panoplied Platypus
Dec 21, 2005

Head-First into Glory!

kylej posted:

If you think buying normal clothes is an expensive hobby wait until you venture down the dark path of motorcycle gear.

Unless John Varvatos and Pure Blue Japan make motorcycle gear, I kind of doubt it will be more expensive than my normal clothes.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Unless John Varvatos and Pure Blue Japan make motorcycle gear, I kind of doubt it will be more expensive than my normal clothes.

As far as quantity goes, no (you can get by with one set of gear usually). But you can easily drop well north of $500 on each main piece (helmet, pants, jacket) depending on what you buy. I think I've seen someone here that has a pair of boots that are like $800 new?

I know that is still pretty ho-hum in fashion clothing terms, though.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Yeah there's no way that'll happen :)

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

If I were to have my pick of the litter in terms of gear, I'd probably wind up wearing over $2000 on my body.

Panoplied Platypus
Dec 21, 2005

Head-First into Glory!

PlasticSun posted:

Those prices are roughly inline with my normal clothes. I would probably spend a little more on a Varvatos suit, but then I don't wear anything on my head :) Admittedly, I'm not really planning on getting a $1500 jumpsuit for riding my used motorcycle down the street. I was figuring maybe ~$500 for a decent jacket, the same for the helmet, and then probably going a little cheaper for the pants and boots.

I do hope I can find things that look much less flashy then all of that stuff.

edit: I was really excited when I first saw your post, because I thought you were going to link to fashionable designer bike gear. Oh well.

Panoplied Platypus fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 3, 2010

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

If I were to have my pick of the litter in terms of gear, I'd probably wind up wearing over $2000 on my body.

Yeah close to 4-5K for me:

Sidi Crossfires - 500
Lee Parks Deer Sport Gauntlets - 130
Kilm Adventure Suit - 2300 OR
BMW Trailguard Suit - 1000
BMW Carbon Dual Sport Helmet - 650

Fancy Motorbike socks - 30
Wicking underwear - 30

Not to mention other stuff for various seasons/conditions:
Full Heated Gerbings Suit - 560
Alpinestars Bionic Neck Brace - 560
Asterisk Knee Braces - 600

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Those prices are roughly inline with my normal clothes. I would probably spend a little more on a Varvatos suit, but then I don't wear anything on my head :) Admittedly, I'm not really planning on getting a $1500 jumpsuit for riding my used motorcycle down the street. I was figuring maybe ~$500 for a decent jacket, the same for the helmet, and then probably going a little cheaper for the pants and boots.

I do hope I can find things that look much less flashy then all of that stuff.

Yeah if you're thinking about an older BMW or a similar retro look you could wear some de-branded Triumph gear or Hein Gericke stuff. You're in the right ballpark price wise for that gear. I'd recommend a pair of overpants for starting out as well. I love my Hein Gericke Paris Dakar jacket.

Edit: You might like this stuff more.

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 3, 2010

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PlasticSun posted:

Psh. http://www.dainese.com/us_en/motorbike/g-montone.html?gender=2&destinazione_uso=44&cat=12

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

I don't think this is out yet but I think it'll be close to the single most expensive piece of riding gear when it goes on sale.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530695

$2400 1-2 piece suit with integrated neck brace. I think there's a few Dakar Rally riders wearing it this year.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Let's see, if you take MSRP on all my gear:

Helmet 600$ (Suomy Spec1R)
Leathers 2400$ (Helimot Customs, and cheaper ones)
Boots 600$ (Daytona Sports, their midrange boots)
Gloves 200$ (Helimot H20s)
Back protector 150$ (Helimot TLV)
Custom Earphones 220$
I spend too much on my hobby...sigh.

And that's not counting the textile/leather commuting gear, the extra helmets, dirt gear that I need to buy, :sigh:

Still, wouldn't trade it for the world.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

PlasticSun posted:

Yeah close to 4-5K for me:

Sidi Crossfires - 500
Lee Parks Deer Sport Gauntlets - 130
Kilm Adventure Suit - 2300 OR
BMW Trailguard Suit - 1000
BMW Carbon Dual Sport Helmet - 650

Fancy Motorbike socks - 30
Wicking underwear - 30

Not to mention other stuff for various seasons/conditions:
Full Heated Gerbings Suit - 560
Alpinestars Bionic Neck Brace - 560
Asterisk Knee Braces - 600

drat, how much are your bikes worth vs. your gear? That is a lot of stuff. I have a bunch of gear but it was almost all bought on sale off NewEnough, I don't have anywhere near as much money sunk into gear as you guys.

I guess I don't count the UnderArmor either since I didn't buy that specifically for biking.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
I'm a somewhat experienced rider (grew up with dirt bikes, took the MSF) who is considering a bike to commute on with with some longer rides every once in awhile.

I've been trying to figure out what the lowest emission bikes are (with little success). I want to commute on something that not only gets better mileage but produces less emissions than my car. I've been watching e-bikes for awhile, but obviously they're not quite there yet. Price isn't that important. I was looking into scooters a bit but then read how some of the cheaper engines produce even more emissions than a car.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Oakey posted:

drat, how much are your bikes worth vs. your gear? That is a lot of stuff. I have a bunch of gear but it was almost all bought on sale off NewEnough, I don't have anywhere near as much money sunk into gear as you guys.

I guess I don't count the UnderArmor either since I didn't buy that specifically for biking.

Don't actually have all of that it's just my dream list.

I think my gear closet has about 3K worth of stuff in it, most of it bought on sale save for the BMW Rallye 2 Pro which has been well worth the money even with the crappy BMW zippers.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

eeenmachine posted:

I'm a somewhat experienced rider (grew up with dirt bikes, took the MSF) who is considering a bike to commute on with with some longer rides every once in awhile.

I've been trying to figure out what the lowest emission bikes are (with little success). I want to commute on something that not only gets better mileage but produces less emissions than my car. I've been watching e-bikes for awhile, but obviously they're not quite there yet. Price isn't that important. I was looking into scooters a bit but then read how some of the cheaper engines produce even more emissions than a car.

If all you're interested in is emissions, your best choice is a Prius or a Smart or some other little horrible-to-drive car. My understanding is that the majority of bikes, even the most modern ones, have emissions that are middle-of-the-road at the best.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Bought this: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531794

Picking it up on Tuesday. :dance:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Tsaven Nava posted:

Congrats man! What amazing and zany adventure do you have planned now that you actually will have something that's (somewhat) meant to go offroad?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

eeenmachine posted:

Bikes produce more emissions then a car, due to less restrictive emissions standards as a result of the lack of ability to slap a bunch of emissions crap on them. If you look at a picture that's a little bigger than emissions, though, bikes are much more environmentally friendly, after all, they're smaller with less parts, lighter and thusly cheaper to ship, and if you fix up/ride a used one, you're saving a lot of overhead that comes with building a new bike.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Tsaven Nava posted:

So awesome.

So - Ya gonna rent a van, or did you find someone to drive your car back?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Z3n posted:

Bikes produce more emissions then a car, due to less restrictive emissions standards as a result of the lack of ability to slap a bunch of emissions crap on them. If you look at a picture that's a little bigger than emissions, though, bikes are much more environmentally friendly, after all, they're smaller with less parts, lighter and thusly cheaper to ship, and if you fix up/ride a used one, you're saving a lot of overhead that comes with building a new bike.

Never thought of it like that! In general though will bikes with fuel injection be much cleaner than those with carbs?

tzam
Mar 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Greenhouse gas emissions generally go with fuel economy though, considering a reasonably well running motor. So while they may produce more particulates and smog causing stuff, the CO2 emissions will generally be less than for cars.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

eeenmachine posted:

Never thought of it like that! In general though will bikes with fuel injection be much cleaner than those with carbs?

Sort of. If you're concerned about emissions, you need to look at the years that they changed over from the older standards to the newer ones. I think 2001 may have been one of those years. In general, though, you can assume that FI bikes will be better than carbed ones.

tzam posted:

Greenhouse gas emissions generally go with fuel economy though, considering a reasonably well running motor. So while they may produce more particulates and smog causing stuff, the CO2 emissions will generally be less than for cars.

I wasn't aware of how they are computed, but I guess that makes sense. IMO, emissions are kind of a short sighted way of evaluating things. Mainly because they fail to take into account a lot of factors that go into running a vehicle. I do know that they have done a shitload of good, and I'm glad we have them, but that's something where it's really hard to say if it's better overall for the environment to have a brand new bike with the most up to date emissions, or an older one that you've brought back to life.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

eeenmachine posted:

http://www.myersmotors.com/buynow.html

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

AKA the Corbin Sparrow

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tsaven Nava posted:

Congratulations and welcome to Strom Club

The first rule of Strom Club is that you do not talk about Strom Club

tzam
Mar 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

I wasn't aware of how they are computed, but I guess that makes sense. IMO, emissions are kind of a short sighted way of evaluating things. Mainly because they fail to take into account a lot of factors that go into running a vehicle. I do know that they have done a shitload of good, and I'm glad we have them, but that's something where it's really hard to say if it's better overall for the environment to have a brand new bike with the most up to date emissions, or an older one that you've brought back to life.

Really it depends on what you think is worse: global warming or smog/air quality issues. Older bikes will probably produce emissions more harmful to air quality than newer ones, but running one (in decent condition) probably isn't going to produce that much more greenhouse gas emission than a newer bike, and of course, it doesn't need to be built again. I don't know how the numbers stack up though, emissions due to construction vs. emissions due to running the thing.

Bikes don't really contribute very much to either problem due to the fact that there are far less of them than cars anyway. In Australia, they're held to more lenient emissions standards than cars (euro 2 vs euro 4 I think).

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Jabs posted:

So awesome.

So - Ya gonna rent a van, or did you find someone to drive your car back?

Got a couple people offering to drive a car back, but I might not need it.

A couple years ago, my dad bought a trailer hitch for his mini-van but never installed it. If I can get it installed, I can borrow a trailer from a friend and use it to get the bike. If not . . . it is going to be one hardcore cold ride.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Phy posted:

Congratulations and welcome to Strom Club

The first rule of Strom Club is that you do not talk about Strom Club

Is it that we're still trying to come to grips with the funny looks of our bike?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

needknees posted:

Congrats man! What amazing and zany adventure do you have planned now that you actually will have something that's (somewhat) meant to go offroad?

Weirdly, not many. I'm probably going to have to work for most of the next year to replenish my bank accounts after that summer trip, so most of the miles on this bike will be commuting and general around town stuff. At least for 2010. 2011 will hopefully see me back in Antarctica for a while, and then perhaps up to Inuvick.

Eventually I want to go across Russia, to Norway, but I that's a number of years off.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Tsaven Nava posted:

I want that bike (for that price!)

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I want that bike (for that price!)

And I got it for $3400, with hard bags :D

To be fair, the suspension is quite soft, the fork oil has to be changed and the rear shock is due for a replacement. I'm thinking of going with a Ricor rear shock, and then their Intiminators for the front forks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If the SV650 second gen Intiminators will work in the Strom (I have no idea), I've got a brand new set I'll sell you for $150 plus shipping (what I paid).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
Would I be an idiot to not jump right the hell on this for ~$1000? (I've got ~$600 free today, and payday's Friday. I could probably show up with $700 cash in hand.)

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11789335&postcount=3391
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdhZXvvHc9A