Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Fife posted:

I know this was a while back but it reminded me of something I had tried to forget. Same game. Same level. Probably the same age. I had my pet rabbit loose in the lounge where i was playing and just as i got to probably the same point as your brother it finished eating through the power cord.

Yes i was griefed by a rabbit.

I was griefed by my own foot. 20 years ago, me and a friend made it our mission of the weekend to finally beat Bionic Commando. On Sunday morning, after two nights of trying, we FINALLY got to the end. As Hitler's chopper blew up, we both jumped up to celebrate.

When we did, my foot hit the controller. Which slid across the floor. Directly into the NES' "Reset" button. Fuuuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Sonseray posted:

Here you go.

Holy poo poo I was not expecting that.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
If we're doing resposts, remember that Billy Mays Attacks Garry's Mod video made some time before he died? If you haven't seen it you're really missing out.

Anyways, there was this reply video where this guy was trying to do the same gimmick with limited success. Not even a minute into the video, he's starting again on a new server and this guy immediately responds by drowning him out with this 'you are a pirate!' techno and spawns this giant pirate ship that shoots out fireworks then went sailing around in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-oTlaxrfMo

That guy got fuckin' served. :laugh:

Wish I could pull off something like that every time I ran into a self-important gimmick on TF2 alltalk servers. They'll do their gimmick-thing ad nauseum but hey shutup don't be playing powerpuff girl soundbytes, everyone here approves of my gimmick. Do that again and I'll get an admin to gag you, only room for one gimmick on this server. Mine. :smug:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Sonseray posted:

Here you go.

Hahaha, whoever had Zach Galifianakis sampled...genius.

This would be funny even without the ending.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 24, 2009

Tux Racer
Dec 24, 2005

fennesz posted:

Hahaha, whoever had Zach Galifianakis sampled...genius.

This would be funny even without the ending.

Wait what was the sample from? I am pretty sure it wasn't from Live at the Purple Onion.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Tux Racer posted:

Wait what was the sample from? I am pretty sure it wasn't from Live at the Purple Onion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p0QtJMKt1s

If you're not familiar with Tim & Eric, it'll be weird. The ending is where the sound clips I was referring to are from, and is loving hilarious.

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

IF A ROBOT IS BUILT IN THE FORM OF HUMAN BEINGS IT IS HARAAM
I read a whole bunch of this thread, but when it got all "post the D&Dest stories u got" I skipped ahead, so this maybe has been discussed already. That said, the greatest game one can grief in is (drumroll please) .....poker. I'll say right away that I'm not the greatest player, but it doesn't take an expert to see that one of the most effective ways to win is to crack other players' psyches as hard as you can. This has the side benefit of being hilarious.

There are many ways one can grief in poker. You can "accidentally" show your hand when you fold. If table talk is allowed, you can try and irritate people at the table (a la Phil Hellmuth). And you can lie.

The best grief I have witnessed while playing poker happened the first time I went to a "real" card club. Playing Texas hold 'em, the hand in question had gotten to the final round of betting, with two players left. Over the course of this hand, the hero of this story had somehow managed to convince the sucker that he (the hero) did not know what was in his hand.

Now at this particular card club, each round of betting is generally capped at four bets. As an example, the initial bet in a $4 round of betting is $4; this can be raised by subsequent players to $8, $12, and finally $16 (the cap). But when there are only two players left in a hand, there is no cap. You can probably see where this is going.

So on this final round of betting, the hero asks the sucker if he'd like to (effectively) go all in. The sucker agrees, and smugly notes how he has the second-best-possible hand anyway. So they take several minutes raising each other four dollars at a time, until the sucker's entire stack is in the middle.

The hero flips over pocket aces, giving him the win.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

clamiam posted:

I read a whole bunch of this thread, but when it got all "post the D&Dest stories u got" I skipped ahead, so this maybe has been discussed already. That said, the greatest game one can grief in is (drumroll please) .....poker. I'll say right away that I'm not the greatest player, but it doesn't take an expert to see that one of the most effective ways to win is to crack other players' psyches as hard as you can. This has the side benefit of being hilarious.

I hereby declare a moratorium on discussion of this post :colbert:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What post?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cojawfee posted:

What post?
Oh, clever girl..!

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

HoldYourFire posted:

I hereby declare a moratorium on discussion of this post :colbert:

Oh :(

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Nahxela posted:

The best way to be a dick with Dedede/Kirby is to use their B attacks, spit them under the stage, and float back up. That way they can't recover and you keep your life!

I'm way behind on this but there are all kinds of great ways to kill people in Smash Bros, if you get good. Some of this only applies to Melee, which I've spent the most time playing.

If your opponent is just barely going to make it back onto the stage by grabbing the edge, jump down there first: two people can't clutch the edge at the same time! Do it just right and you're even invincible for a second, so they can't knock you off. Often it's totally impossible to stop this tactic.

Mario's and Dr. Mario's capes are also lots of fun. If you hit the opponent with it it does nothing but add a little damage and turn them around. But sometimes that's enough. If they're trying to grab the edge, you can force them to face away from the level (which in Melee prevents them from being able to grab on). And if Fox uses his "turn into a giant fireball" move or his quick-dash move, you can turn him around midway through and redirect him to his death.

Using a projectile-reflecting move repeatedly on a red shell turns it into a deathtrap, dealing something like 75% damage per hit and stunning you for a few seconds. Sometimes you can't escape a second hit. Reflectors are also pretty useful if items are on because most people, when they have a throwing item, will just chuck it at you very predictably the first chance they get. So if you're playing one of those people, it's pretty much constant self-destruction.

EDIT: vvv Yes, they're all legitimate (as is Kirby's trick) but they're also incredibly amusing, and therefore worth reading, and therefore worth posting. The same cannot be said for the endless arguments over griefing philosophy.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 31, 2009

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?

McNerd posted:

I'm way behind on this but there are all kinds of great ways to kill people in Smash Bros, if you get good. Some of this only applies to Melee, which I've spent the most time playing.

If your opponent is just barely going to make it back onto the stage by grabbing the edge, jump down there first: two people can't clutch the edge at the same time! Do it just right and you're even invincible for a second, so they can't knock you off. Often it's totally impossible to stop this tactic.

Mario's and Dr. Mario's capes are also lots of fun. If you hit the opponent with it it does nothing but add a little damage and turn them around. But sometimes that's enough. If they're trying to grab the edge, you can force them to face away from the level (which in Melee prevents them from being able to grab on). And if Fox uses his "turn into a giant fireball" move or his quick-dash move, you can turn him around midway through and redirect him to his death.

Using a projectile-reflecting move repeatedly on a red shell turns it into a deathtrap, dealing something like 75% damage per hit and stunning you for a few seconds. Sometimes you can't escape a second hit. Reflectors are also pretty useful if items are on because most people, when they have a throwing item, will just chuck it at you very predictably the first chance they get. So if you're playing one of those people, it's pretty much constant self-destruction.

We now posting valid tactics as griefing?

In MW2 if you get 25 kills in a row you can drop a nuke on people ending the game for everyone.. Ultimate grief??

Eyebrows Mulligan
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl

McNerd posted:

EDIT: vvv Yes, they're all legitimate (as is Kirby's trick) but they're also incredibly amusing, and therefore worth reading, and therefore worth posting. The same cannot be said for the endless arguments over griefing philosophy.

Ugh. You're trying to justify posting about something which isn't griefing on a griefing thread? I can think of dozens of things that have absolutely nothing to do with griefing, yet are infinitely more interesting than what you just posted. Can I share them as well?

coinstarpatrick
May 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Eyebrows Mulligan posted:

Ugh. You're trying to justify posting about something which isn't griefing on a griefing thread? I can think of dozens of things that have absolutely nothing to do with griefing, yet are infinitely more interesting than what you just posted. Can I share them as well?

I believe you have just been griefed.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else... I don't know.
But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves.
Valid tactics? If it's possible in the game it's valid.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Blarticus posted:

Valid tactics? If it's possible in the game it's valid.

Including the javelin glitch? :v:

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else... I don't know.
But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves.

yaoi prophet posted:

Including the javelin glitch? :v:

Yes of course, why not? It's the only reason I kept playing MW2, and since they fixed it. the only reason I don't care that I've been banned

I'm not sure what you're tryign to imply here.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

McNerd posted:

Smash Brothers

You haven't seen rage until you've chain thrown someone (especially anyone who is SRS BSNS about Smash.) to somewhere around 120%, effectively canceling that life. I know at least Shiek in Melee and DeDeDe in Brawl can do it, though there might be others I can't recall off the top of my head.

Other fun things include the obligatory DK death march, Bowsercide, Kirbycide, milking the Zelda crystal move, and, depending on what character you're playing against in Brawl, simply BEING Metaknight.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I would always just run under people with Pikachu and do nothing but that lightning bolt move, and not once did I fail to get the crowd chanting and the other players screaming.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Shumagorath posted:

I would always just run under people with Pikachu and do nothing but that lightning bolt move, and not once did I fail to get the crowd chanting and the other players screaming.

That one was always good times, On the original I would just be Ness and use his Down Air, since you could usually trigger it twice, as you jumped up, and as you went down. It was a fun chain by itself.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

In Melee, Din's Fire was a horrible move that was impossible to hit with. In brawl, it has a huuuuge explosion radius and is great for just annoying people with, especially if it's a 4 person fight and they're fighting each other.

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

One nice thing about the Smash games is that they are "casual". What I mean by this is that I have often found myself sitting down to play a game with people I barely know (or are at least not part of my regular gaming circle). This presents the old griefing staple: the confused newbie. In my experience, this tactic works well no matter whether the game is serious business or more relaxed. In the former, they shouldn't have invited a newbie anyway; in the latter, you can join in with the laughs.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Here is all griefing summed up in a single, elegant picture (stolen from the PYF Funny Picture thread):

http://i45.tinypic.com/25qdo36.png

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Morpheus posted:

Here is all griefing summed up in a single, elegant picture (stolen from the PYF Funny Picture thread):

Hahaha that reminds me of another SL grief picture where someone was a giant mech from MechWarrior barging into an anime school or something and is clipped through the floor and they're yelling at him.

Ephrum
Feb 16, 2007

lol rednecks
Two dots is and always will be the best way to pass the time in SL.

Eyebrows Mulligan
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl

coinstarpatrick posted:

I believe you have just been griefed.

Me? No, never. It couldn't be.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

Morpheus posted:

I've been following this thread from the start and this is the first thing in a long while that has made me laugh out loud.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Ephrum posted:

Two dots is and always will be the best way to pass the time in SL.

"Two Dots"?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

GetWellGamers posted:

"Two Dots"?

I assume he means sex balls, which are basically posed animation balls that you 'sit on' and then begin gyrating endlessly against another pretend person.

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE
In the map an avatar is represented by a single dot. Two dots alone means they're loving.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Team Fortress 2: Privatized healthcare Medic

While playing as a Medic in Team Fortress 2, I realized that he was giving out free universal health care to all members of his team. Being the American I am, I decided I should try to privatize my Medicing, the best Healthcare system in the world. Changing my name to "Privatized Medicine" and binding "Which healthcare insurance do you have?" to my F key, I set out to make my way in the medical world of Team Fortress 2.

Well, at first I didn't get much notice until one unfortunate soldier burned to death in front of me. Due to the fact he refused to show me his Health insurance card or even answer if he did have medical insurance. He became very upset with me, threatening to ban me (turns out he wasn't an admin). Well, the only team mate who had health insurance was a Sniper of the team. After spending half the match healing and ubering just the sniper (much to the anger of my team since I was the only medic on my team) some started to tell me they had Bluecross and other heathcare insurance.

Unfortunately they should've checked with their insurers, since I could not heal a person who was burning. They weren't covered since this was found to be a preexisting medical condition. In fact, I could only heal a person about a third of the time, and only for about twenty five points of health, since it turns out a lot of the medical issues were either deemed none life threatening and thus didn't need medical procedures or the treatment was experimental and wasn't covered by their insurance. About forty minutes on the server, some one managed to get an admin and I was promptly banned. I am hoping to bring my special brand of healthcare to other servers soon.
This is really good.

"No insurance? Whelp, you better pull down the console and set sv_bootstraps to 1." :smug:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Toribash.

Instructions:

1) Sort rooms by player number. You're looking for the number "2".
2) Go into said room. Generally this room will have two friends who are trying to have a super secret friends only public match to try to increase their belt ranking.
3) You will be banned quickly if this is the case.
4) Type "/reconnect"
5) Call someone's mother a whore.
6) Repeat until crazy.

Seriously people will spend all of their time banning you and running to different rooms and calling you a fucker, rather than just playing the game with people other than their one friend or passwording the room and losing their belt progress points.

If you get muted, just reconnect.

Eyebrows Mulligan
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl
I've played Toribash and got accused of hacking playing online for the first time. Their community is pretty dumb imo.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

My new favorite thing to do in MW is join a Hardcore SnD with 3 stuns as my first perk (instead of the token RPGs). I stun everyone as soon as the round starts, and keep them there until all my stuns are gone. When I throw my last one, throw my nade at everyone's feet, wait for it to blow up and hope my martyrdom kills anyone else left standing.

Stunning them gives them a small glimmer of hope that they won't get teamkilled.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Soth posted:

You haven't seen rage until you've chain thrown someone (especially anyone who is SRS BSNS about Smash.) to somewhere around 120%, effectively canceling that life. I know at least Shiek in Melee and DeDeDe in Brawl can do it, though there might be others I can't recall off the top of my head.

Other fun things include the obligatory DK death march, Bowsercide, Kirbycide, milking the Zelda crystal move, and, depending on what character you're playing against in Brawl, simply BEING Metaknight.

I don't claim to be any good at the original smash but if you play as Donkey Kong and have a turbo N64 controller, put "throw" on turbo, and point Donkey Kong in the direction of the person you're fighting, it's nearly impossible to lose. I did this once and no one caught on for like five or six games and then I got punched in the face.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Morpheus posted:

ralph pls go
ralph pootawn: no

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

Ringo Star Get posted:

Hahaha that reminds me of another SL grief picture where someone was a giant mech from MechWarrior barging into an anime school or something and is clipped through the floor and they're yelling at him.

I may have been part of that expedition[1]. If I remember right, it was an anime "lolita" whorehouse :suicide:. Some people dressed up as cops and "arrested" the owners and johns with toys that made them do funny things.

[1] Note to any SL fatties monitoring this thread: I was not a Goon at the time.

clamiam fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 7, 2010

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Eyebrows Mulligan posted:

That still doesn't refute my claim that griefing is internet bullying and the enjoyment of it comes from the pain of others above all else.
Just a little late.

But still: No poo poo. Glad you have that figured out and are willing to explain it to others.

Edit - I don't intend to restart the discussion. It's just the "Holy poo poo, the sky is blue" aspect of this that amuses me.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyebrows Mulligan
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl
And yet so many people on here still believe that what they are doing is perhaps the highest form of art on the planet, and poo-poo anything which causes grief, for example, like they've got a moral upper hand in these issues.

That's what I meant. Now shut up everybody SHUUUUUUUT UUUUUUUUP.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread