Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Phat_Albert posted:

How are those weld on spools? I've been thinking about getting some for the Bandit.

They look pretty well made, assuming we're both talking about the weld on spool adapters from Pit Bull. I haven't had them welded on yet, which is why they're sitting in front of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Z3n posted:

Did they ship you the correct type (thread pitch) of bolt? I've never seen a tap so crude from the factory that it wouldn't go in, and definitely never one that you needed to spend an hour chasing just to get the bolt to thread in.

vvvvvv suck it! vvvvvv

Nope, the threads in the hole are just garbage.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
I went out to my bike to ride to work this morning, hit the starter button and instead of turning over the bike make this terrifyingly horrid buzzing noise and made no attempt to turn over. After I hit the starter electrical stuff started acting up, the display screen (speedo, etc) started blinking, more or less rebooting over and over, the neutral light remained on but the high beam light turned off despite the high beam switch still being on. Also of note, the headlight seemed to be fine, and actually got brighter when I hit the starter button.

The bike is a DRZ400SM. I haven't ridden for a while, so my initial thought would be a drained battery, but I've killed batteries on bikes before and never had something like this occur before so I'm a little scared to push start it if something electrical is screwed up. The bike seemed fine last time I rode it and its been sitting in a parking garage so its not been rained on or anything. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That buzzing noise is the starter solenoid occilating between open and shut as the battery drops below the voltage needed to keep the solenoid open once the starter starts to draw power. Go push start it, it's fine.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

ari.gato posted:

I need to buy a new chain + sprocket (front and rear) for my 96 XJ600. Any recommendations on places to buy from and what brand to get?

Not to pester, but anyone?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ari.gato posted:

Not to pester, but anyone?

You can contact speed addict cycles...I believe schad will be able to get those, and if you're up in Ventura, you can pick it up in person and pay cash for a nice discount. Let him know that Conan referred you.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

You can contact speed addict cycles...I believe schad will be able to get those, and if you're up in Ventura, you can pick it up in person and pay cash for a nice discount. Let him know that Conan referred you.

Thanks Conan! Speedaddictcycles.com yes?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ari.gato posted:

Thanks Conan! Speedaddictcycles.com yes?

That's correct. I feel like I'm turning into a shill for him, but a number of goons will vouch that he's been good to them, and he's always been awesome to me. If you have any problems you can always let me know and I can talk to him in person about it.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Ok, bike registration question.

From what I gather, to register an out of state bike in CA I need to bring it to DMV to get the numbers, lights and whatever inspected to prove the bike is roadworthy and not put together out of stolen bits. What happens if the bike doesn't run? Not much to inspect beside the numbers. Is this good enough?
My Bandit is from Washington. I have the title and was planning on putting it in my name and registering it non-op but am not sure if I can register it at all until it can be inspected.
Am I making this out to be way more confusing than it needs to be?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bugdrvr posted:

Ok, bike registration question.

From what I gather, to register an out of state bike in CA I need to bring it to DMV to get the numbers, lights and whatever inspected to prove the bike is roadworthy and not put together out of stolen bits. What happens if the bike doesn't run? Not much to inspect beside the numbers. Is this good enough?
My Bandit is from Washington. I have the title and was planning on putting it in my name and registering it non-op but am not sure if I can register it at all until it can be inspected.
Am I making this out to be way more confusing than it needs to be?

All the DMV cares about is that it's over 7500 miles. They'll try and verify the emissions stickers, too, if you don't have those, you can have problems...sometimes those stickers are on the frame, sometimes they're under the seat. They don't inspect the lights or anything like that. I registered my trackbike from hawaii and they actually gave me a plate for a motorcycle with no street gear. :parrot:

Because your bandit is old it may not even need the stickers...My SV did though.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Ah, very good. Guess I will put it on the truck this weekend and have a go at getting it legal and registered to sit in a parking space and not be ridden (thanks CA for making me do that). I'm glad I have AAA, makes things like this so much easier as far as wait times go...

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
Is there an easy way to drain the gas on my 1990 Radian without pulling the tank off? It doesn't look like I can get the fuel line off the carb without lifting the tank off.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If the carbs have drain hoses on them, you can put a container under the drain hoses open the carb bowl drains, turn the tank petcock to reserve and let it drain that way.

It will take a good while, but if you dont want to take the tank off, it might be the only way depending on how tight it is in there.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

On my bike it's easiest to pull the hose off the petcock and drain from there. I have some extra hose though, it might get messy if you have to hold the container up to it. But hose is cheap and draining from the petcock is simpler than draining from the carbs. And you need to either lean the bike way over or move the tank around to get it absolutely dry.

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
I was just scared to pull the tank off because I'm mechanically retarded and I thought it would be a hassle. Luckily for me it's the simplest thing in the world so I was able to do it easy peasy. Next up: carb rebuild!

Actually I just needed to get rid of old gas because I let it sit for 8 months with only one ride in the middle.

vvv I really hope not. I got some seafoam, and I'm hoping that is enough. That's definitely not something I can tackle myself. vvv

Watommi fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 8, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Watommi posted:

Actually I just needed to get rid of old gas because I let it sit for 8 months with only one ride in the middle.

Next Up: Carb Cleaning!

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

Next Up: Carb Cleaning!

Ugh. I gotta do that this weekend and I'm NOT looking forward to it. I just know I'm going to gently caress something up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ari.gato posted:

Ugh. I gotta do that this weekend and I'm NOT looking forward to it. I just know I'm going to gently caress something up.

Just keep the carb cleaner away from the rubber bits, and run a wire through your pilots.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Just keep the carb cleaner away from the rubber bits, and run a wire through your pilots.

Fasho. Any recommended carb cleaners?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ari.gato posted:

Fasho. Any recommended carb cleaners?

I use the kind that burns your hands. I've always just grabbed whatever can on the shelf. Some people swear by one type or the other, but I've always just used whatever.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Is there any easy (or hard) way to check and adjust the speedo on a 2004 GS500? I've been out on a few rides recently with mates and both of them have commented that I'm riding significantly below the speed limit, where I always thought that I was at or over it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If the speedo isnt cable driven, you can use a speedo healer.

http://www.speedohealer.com/eng/desc.htm

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Aargh posted:

Is there any easy (or hard) way to check and adjust the speedo on a 2004 GS500? I've been out on a few rides recently with mates and both of them have commented that I'm riding significantly below the speed limit, where I always thought that I was at or over it.

If it's cable driven off the front wheel, you can use a 120/70 front tire to help reduce the error. Make sure it doesn't rub on the front fender, but it's not usually an issue. 120/70 is preferred anyways for more side grip due to the taller profile.

Either way, I'd go out with a GPS, and figure out how much error you have and correct accordingly.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm looking at buying a Wee (Suzuki V-Strom 650) as my first foray into motorcycles after having been on scooters for awhile now (first 125cc, then 250cc). I'm definitely keeping my scoot as it's crazy fun, but I'd like something for a bit of longer range riding and some minor fire roads, etc.

Problem is, I've found that it's pretty hard for me to tell a good bike from a complete clunker, and I'm not even sure what's a good price. Sure, KBB's a start, but it doesn't account for regional/seasonal differences or even the amount of miles. I'm in San Diego and I'm looking for something on the cheap end, even if it means going without much-desired farkles, but I'm willing to spend more to buy a bike that isn't going to take a dump on me in the first few weeks, obviously.

I've taken a look at that page that shows all the things you should review if you're buying used (safety wires, fork condition, etc.) and I'll definitely bring that. Anything else I should take a look at? What's a good price here in SD?

Here are some Wees I've found on Craigslist recently, are these any decent?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1543881829.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/1533267517.html

I've bought scooters before on CL but scoots are far more likely to be garage queens (heh heh) than V-Stroms are.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Radbot posted:

I'm looking at buying a Wee (Suzuki V-Strom 650) as my first foray into motorcycles after having been on scooters for awhile now (first 125cc, then 250cc). I'm definitely keeping my scoot as it's crazy fun, but I'd like something for a bit of longer range riding and some minor fire roads, etc.

Problem is, I've found that it's pretty hard for me to tell a good bike from a complete clunker, and I'm not even sure what's a good price. Sure, KBB's a start, but it doesn't account for regional/seasonal differences or even the amount of miles. I'm in San Diego and I'm looking for something on the cheap end, even if it means going without much-desired farkles, but I'm willing to spend more to buy a bike that isn't going to take a dump on me in the first few weeks, obviously.

I've taken a look at that page that shows all the things you should review if you're buying used (safety wires, fork condition, etc.) and I'll definitely bring that. Anything else I should take a look at? What's a good price here in SD?

Here are some Wees I've found on Craigslist recently, are these any decent?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1543881829.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/1533267517.html

I've bought scooters before on CL but scoots are far more likely to be garage queens (heh heh) than V-Stroms are.

That 2nd one very much looks like a garage queen, but the high mileage one isn't anything to steer away from. The SV650 engine will go forever if it's cared for properly. The first one seems reasonably priced, the second one seems overpriced. Remember that extras don't factor in at a 1/1 value. It's not an investment, and things devalue as they get used. Regardless of condition, you should get 50% off any farkles that you want, and they should eat the cost of any ones you didn't want, after all, why should you be paying for something you wouldn't have put on?

The things in particular that I'd look at would be consumables, like tires, chain, sprockets, etc. That can be 600$ after you buy a bike that you have to dump into it just to keep it running. Bargain appropriately. On higher mileage bikes, I'd be concerned about the last time the suspension has been refreshed, that things were lubed properly, and steering head bearings. Also valve adjustments and coolant flushes.

Check the date codes on the tires, if they're more than 5 years old or coming up on 5 years old, they need to be replaced. Sometimes dealerships will put old tires on new bikes, too, so that 07 could have 05 tires on it. :sigh:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is kind of an odd question, but does anyone know what language this person is speaking?

http://i-comers.com/showthread.php?p=242146

I'm trying to find out what kind of bike that is that they're talking about. A search for Suzuki Jadul just brings up that thread again.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Phat_Albert posted:

This is kind of an odd question, but does anyone know what language this person is speaking?

http://i-comers.com/showthread.php?p=242146

I'm trying to find out what kind of bike that is that they're talking about. A search for Suzuki Jadul just brings up that thread again.

Indonesian. No idea about "jadul", but "lokasi" translates as "location"

"Kuntul", however translates as egret, or heron, so possibly some incarnation of the Suzuki Birdie?

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 10, 2010

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Suzuki F-90...the one in your link is missing the leg shields.
http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bike%20Directories/Suzuki%20Bikes/pages/Suzuki-F90-73.htm

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
I know I asked this before and got an answer, but I can't find it in the huge thread that is MQT II. What's a good valve shim tool for a 96 XJ 600? Also, where would be a good place to look to figure out what size shims I need? I'm going to be installing a Jet Kit this weekend, and would like to do a Valve adjustment beforehand.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
What do I do with old gas? I've got 2 tanks with some old lovely varnishy smelling junk that I'm not sure what to do with.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
If I dropped 30-40lbs off my SV650 would I notice any improvement in acceleration in the real world?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

If I dropped 30-40lbs off my SV650 would I notice any improvement in acceleration in the real world?

No, not really. If you wanted to notice a difference in acceleration, spend some money on flatslides, cams, and a good pipe. You're talking about a sub 10% weight reduction, so it's easier to spend a little bit of money on getting some more power out of the engine. I got roughly 15hp out of about 1700$ in mods (if I bought the parts new). I got them for around 550$ used. That's a roughly 25% increase in power, and that was VERY noticeable.

I'd have a built gen 1 over a gen 2, the gens 2 had some engine issues when you started to build them up.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Bbbbuttt this free :v:

Goal is to hit 200 by summer. Was 236 before I left for CES, currently floating at 231. I am officially on the "dont eat loving frozen pizzas anymore you dumbass" diet.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Goal is to hit 200 by summer. Was 236 before I left for CES, currently floating at 231. I am officially on the "dont eat loving frozen pizzas anymore you dumbass" diet.

Free is good :D

It'll make a difference, I just don't know how noticeable it'll be, especially over time.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Z3n posted:

Free is good :D

It'll make a difference, I just don't know how noticeable it'll be, especially over time.

New Gear

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Methusulah posted:

New Gear

Honestly this and one other item pushed me over the edge to finally start losing some weight.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

dietcokefiend posted:

Honestly this and one other item pushed me over the edge to finally start losing some weight.

Haha, basically my plan is to order the same size gear I had last season and If i don't fit, I will make myself fit.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

dietcokefiend posted:

This is what I never understood about people who shave every last ounce of weight off their car/bike. Wouldn't taking a dump, or losing weight before riding/driving make just as much difference as your thousand dollars of carbon fiber and other light weight parts?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

dietcokefiend posted:

This is sort of on topic (How To Improve Your Power/Weight Ratio By Tightening The Nut Holding The Handlebars is (almost) on topic, innit?)
http://21daykickstart.org/index.cfm

Jendywo and I are both down 5 pounds in 11 days, and we're just flat hungry less than we used to be. Not feeling deprived, either. Example: My lunch choices at work are pretty limited, because I work at Denver International Airport (post-security). I changed usual Chicken Burrito for a Taco Salad. Easy Peasy.

I don't expect that 5/wk will be sustainable beyond the first week, but a couple pounds a week will suit me juuuuust fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Jabs posted:

This is sort of on topic (How To Improve Your Power/Weight Ratio By Tightening The Nut Holding The Handlebars is (almost) on topic, innit?)
http://21daykickstart.org/index.cfm

Jendywo and I are both down 5 pounds in 11 days, and we're just flat hungry less than we used to be. Not feeling deprived, either. Example: My lunch choices at work are pretty limited, because I work at Denver International Airport (post-security). I changed usual Chicken Burrito for a Taco Salad. Easy Peasy.

I don't expect that 5/wk will be sustainable beyond the first week, but a couple pounds a week will suit me juuuuust fine.

For me it's beer. When I crashed my first bike I've had nothing to do since then but drink beer. With the injury (that's been healed a good 2 months now) and starting my career, I've been pretty sedentary. One big problem was having my bicycle stolen, which was total bullshit. (a 10 year old walmart bike in a secluded parking lot) Hopefully this spring I'll be more motivated.