Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

weekly font posted:

Wanna see that Devitt vs. Fuji match NOW.

Night 1 is already on YT. Night 2 shouldn't be far behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wazzu posted:

I don't like the move, I think it looks like rear end, but it's a pin that does no damage to the opponent, you need to win with it occasionally so you don't look retarded.

Have you realized that some pinning moves aren't exactly used to damage but rather trap an opponent

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Kotaro Suzuki out for ~6 months with ACL/MCL damage. Kobashi out for an unknown time with a lumbar sprain.

Akiyama likely to retire this year due to back and elbow injuries plus an unknown emotional trauma

:(

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Wow things look grim for the start of 2010.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what is an australian suplex

45ShadesOfDeath
Sep 7, 2004
Worst goon in the universe.

dusty udder smoker posted:

what is an australian suplex

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OSjaRY7P0Y

Basically a tiger suplex but without the suplex. Just hold, fall back, pin.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If Marufuji needed to use a flash pin, why not use THE PERFECT INSIDE CRADLE! It is perfect!

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes
Akiyama saw Misawa's ghost.

in all seriousness, i'm very sad to hear about that and i hope he's okay.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

why does RJPW have so many tiger gimmicks?

Its pretty lol seeing Great Sasuke and Tiger Mask I try to do shoot style.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Sayama having two students do tiger gimmicks isn't THAT bad. I mean there's what, four or five ants in CHIKARA.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ditch posted:

Sayama having two students do tiger gimmicks isn't THAT bad. I mean there's what, four or five ants in CHIKARA.

I suppose I can live with Black Shadow, Tiger Shark, Super Tiger II and First Tiger Mask all on the same card. I was just disorienting because I'd see the mask and automatically assume its Tiger Mask.

before anyone asks: RJPW "REVIVAL", 10.12.2009

The opening match features two new and very unassuming looking guys beating the absolute piss out of each other. IIRC the finish was a kick to the mouth.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

G+ is doing a 19 1/2 hour marathon of NOAH Juniors on new years. :psyduck:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

when that hits the streets, I doubt you'll see much of me.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/2009/12/31/puroresu-pulse-issue-161-best-of-2002-and-2003/

This week: 2002 & 2003

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Yay, I finally can come back to this thread now that I've seen the J-Cup. :)

KungFu Grip posted:

To be fair its not like TigersMask is a series wrestler. Dude's gimmick was based of the Tigers baseball team over in Japan.
Key word being "was". These days he's some kind of surly, drunken, nun-chuck swinging pirate who rips off Dusty Rhodes promos. Seriously, he's awesome.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 4, 2010

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Tokyo Dome!

NJPW “WRESTLE KINGDOM IV IN TOKYO DOME”, 1/4/10 (WPW/PPV)
Tokyo Dome
41,500 Fans

1. New Japan Pro-Wrestling 2010 Beginning: Super Strong Machine, Wataru Inoue & Mitsuhide Hirasawa beat Jushin Thunder Liger, Koji Kanemoto & Kazuchika Okada (4:59) when Inoue used the Triangle Lancer on Okada.
2. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title ~Amistad combativa~: Ryusuke Taguchi & Prince Devitt (c) beat Ultimo Guerrero & Averno (9:07) when Taguchi pinned Averno after the Black Hole Vacation (4th defense).
3. IWGP Tag Team Title - 3WAY Hardcore Rules Match ~Victim and Greed~: Yujiro & Tetsuya Naito beat “Team 3D” Brother Ray & Brother Devon (c) and Giant Bernard & Karl Anderson (13:28) when Yujiro pinned Anderson after the Limitless Emotion to become the 55th champions.
4. Wrestle Kingdom Special Tag Match ~Blood Stream Blue~: TAJIRI & Masato Tanaka beat Yuji Nagata & Akebono (9:37) when TAJIRI used a Buzzsaw kick on Nagata.
5. Wrestle Kingdom Special 8 Man Tag Match ~The legend never rots~: Terry Funk, Riki Choshu, Masahiro Chono & Manabu Nakanishi beat Abdullah The Butcher, Toru Yano, Takashi Iizuka & Tomohiro Ishii (8:52) when Nakanishi used an Argentine backbreaker on Iizuka.
6. NJPW vs. NOAH Battle Effusions ~Wilderness~: Togi Makabe beat Mohammed Yone (5:39) with a top rope King Kong kneedrop.
7. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title ~Highest sky~: Naomichi Marufuji beat Tiger Mask (c) (14:14) with the Tiger Frosion to become the 59th champion.
8. NJPW vs. NOAH Battle Effusions ~Radiance~: Hiroshi Tanahashi beat Go Shiozaki (19:04) with the High Fly Flow.
9. GHC Heavyweight Title - NJPW vs. NOAH Battle Effusions ~Blast~: Takashi Sugiura (c) beat Hirooki Goto (20:54) with an ankle hold (1st defense).
10. IWGP Heavyweight Title - The newest, The strongest: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) beat Yoshihiro Takayama (15:51) with the Boma Ye (4th defense).

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I avoided everything except the tag result.

Thank god 3D Lost.

Alpskeen
Oct 22, 2008
Are 3D even popular in Japan? What's up with their markish desire to never be pinned there.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

HulkaMatt posted:

I avoided everything except the tag result.

Thank god 3D Lost.
Read who won the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title match.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Alpskeen posted:

Are 3D even popular in Japan? What's up with their markish desire to never be pinned there.
Because it means they're better than the Steiners and Gordy & Williams. Pinned less = better than

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Korak posted:

Read who won the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title match.

No. I am waiting for it all to come out.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn
Can you guys suggest some Osamu Nishimura matches? I was watching Fujinami & Nishimura vs Shiazaki & Misawa from 2007 and enjoyed Nishimura's work in that match. Anything I should check out (preferably when he was in his prime)?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
After watch round two of the J-Cup I need to ask, who was that commentator who threw a punch at Dino? Also was it me or did that Slice Bread(forgive I no not the Japanese name) and the Australian Suplex spot look like it was more two botches in a row?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
-Nishimura: vs Takayama, G-1 2002; vs Akiyama, G-1 2003; vs Minoru Suzuki, 1/4/04; vs Fujinami, September 2006

-The announcer was Kotesu Yamamoto, ex-wrestler who does a lot of work with the New Japan dojo.

Kobashi is off the next tour after surgery to fix to nerve damage around an elbow that was effecting an arm/hand, but the surgery might not be enough to fix it.

NOAH :smith:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This is getting really depressing.

JavyOO7
Dec 4, 2005
y halo thar?
Kobashi should retire. Come on now...

Though, I'll still keep rewatching his title defense against Takayama back in '04. Awesome match. <3

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JavyOO7 posted:

Kobashi should retire. Come on now...

Though, I'll still keep rewatching his title defense against Takayama back in '04. Awesome match. <3

ALL OF THESE SURGERIES ARE JUST COINCEDENCES HE IS FINE!

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

Ditch posted:

-Nishimura: vs Takayama, G-1 2002; vs Akiyama, G-1 2003; vs Minoru Suzuki, 1/4/04; vs Fujinami, September 2006

-The announcer was Kotesu Yamamoto, ex-wrestler who does a lot of work with the New Japan dojo.

Kobashi is off the next tour after surgery to fix to nerve damage around an elbow that was effecting an arm/hand, but the surgery might not be enough to fix it.

NOAH :smith:
You're a scholar and a gentleman. Especially vs Takayama. Big ugly old dude kneeing other dudes in the face is one of my favourite things in wrestling right now.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I hear some japanese promotion decided to have a 108 man battle royal on new year. I really want to see this for the sheer :psyduck: factor, does anyone have more info?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
It was a combo three-company event: Big Japan, DDT and Kaientai Dojo. It was those wrestlers, plus some of said wrestlers coming in under multiple gimmicks, plus some D-grade indy guys, and last but not least Tajiri.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

Can you guys suggest some Osamu Nishimura matches? I was watching Fujinami & Nishimura vs Shiazaki & Misawa from 2007 and enjoyed Nishimura's work in that match. Anything I should check out (preferably when he was in his prime)?

Watch his movie, The Calamari Wrestler. He turns into a huge squid and wrestles. It rules.

Ditch posted:

It was a combo three-company event: Big Japan, DDT and Kaientai Dojo. It was those wrestlers, plus some of said wrestlers coming in under multiple gimmicks, plus some D-grade indy guys, and last but not least Tajiri.

Did it have Yusuke Fuke buttscooting? Did it have slow motion?

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

Ditch posted:

Because it means they're better than the Steiners and Gordy & Williams. Pinned less = better than

Gordy & Williams will always be better than Bubba Fat and Dvon.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Did it have Yusuke Fuke buttscooting? Did it have slow motion?
No Fuke, and no Muscle Sakai, so....

JavyOO7
Dec 4, 2005
y halo thar?

MassRayPer posted:

ALL OF THESE SURGERIES ARE JUST COINCEDENCES HE IS FINE!

He'll be champion once more for NOAH for another three years right after he beats the crap out of Sugiura, right.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
NOAH has Best Endeavored a slew of people: Kikuchi, Honda, Izumida, Kawabata, Hashi, and (sorta) Shiga. Those guys are so screwed for finding a steady gig elsewhere.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Over at F4W they are posting scans from a lot of old Puro Mags. They've posted some really great ones.

I am going to post them in this thread instead of the picture thread because hey.

Here are several random scans throughout the entire thread.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 9, 2010

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

quote:

drat, how the hell have I never seen this match online?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

quote:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuucking A

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

FishBulb posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuucking A

YOUR FACE GONNA BE MASH POTATOE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
"September 28, 1997 at Korakuen Hall, Hayabusa would team up with Mitsuharu Misawa for the first and only time of their careers in All Japan. They would face off against Jun Akiyama and Satoru Asako with Hayabusa getting the pinfall victory over Asako after hitting Asako with a Falcon Arrow and following it with a Fire Bird Splash. After the match, while all four of the wrestlers would show respect for one another, Akiyama would hesitate to shake Hayabusa's hand and when finally doing it, would not even look Hayabusa in the eyes and walk away immediately in a disrespect towards Hayabusa."

I had no idea until I was prompted to look it up after seeing the scan. I don't think it was taped. There's a ton of K-Hall shows that weren't taped/aired from pre-split All Japan. Stuff like Misawa getting pinned by Patriot. Real shame.

Also, that "GET" thing has to do with Kobashi's team with Ace and Patriot, after he split with Misawa but before Burning. And that's the context of Patriot pinning Misawa!