Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
How? How do you book a team like that and not even tape it? This is now second on the list of awesome stuff I'd kill for but will never get to see, first one being the Skayde vs Mistico mask vs mask match.

guuuuuuuuuhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

HulkaMatt posted:

Over at F4W they are posting scans from a lot of old Puro Mags. They've posted some really great ones.

I am going to post them in this thread instead of the picture thread because hey.

Here are several random scans throughout the entire thread.

An angry kobashi drives the world

quote:

Also, I enjoy them using dan quale's spelling advice.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
There's a dead guy on almost every page :buddy:

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Onita and Terry Funk will be the last ones standing.

Grainbarn
Jul 2, 2007

What the fuck did I do?

HulkaMatt posted:

Look at the intent in his eyes. Completely ready rip Dr. Death's head off.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Grainbarn posted:

Look at the intent in his eyes. Completely ready rip Dr. Death's head off.

That's not intent. That's a blind Hansen trying to see his target.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
With the 'one thread' match pimping idea clearly a failure, I will now do said pimpings ITT. Here's the now-dead match thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3224126

I'll give a week for catch-up, and get back to posting next week!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Nakajima returns on the 31st. He faces Marufuji on February 11th.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Why are Japanese fans crazy for Hayato jr? He looks like an escaped mental patient.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Because his dad is a literally retarded MMA fighter, and because he can show fighting spirit while stiffing people.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/2010/01/14/puroresu-pulse-issue-162-a-preventable-decline/
NOAH :smith:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

There is a link in that article entitled RIP. Its a list of dead wrestlers this decade and from 2000 to 2009 the lists get larger and larger. \

:smith::smith:

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

I really liked reading about why NOAH is dying, it's weird, it's liked it's the x-division only with ugly guys who are worse on the mic. Sure, they can bust out good matches every so often, but they don't have the ability to have a company based around them.

And the linked list of best matches is great, I loved the author explaining his top 24 choices.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Not sure what you mean, I make it clear that with better booking they had a decent chance of staying good and keeping the fans.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Ditch posted:

Not sure what you mean, I make it clear that with better booking they had a decent chance of staying good and keeping the fans.

You made the point about when booking hosed up, but it was clear from reading to me, that NOAH has always had a large problem of having too few reliable main eventers and few prospects for the future.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wazzu posted:

You made the point about when booking hosed up, but it was clear from reading to me, that NOAH has always had a large problem of having too few reliable main eventers and few prospects for the future.

Hm, you know I wonder if having too few main eventers is a result of...bad booking? Naw, couldn't be.

:ughh:

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

Hm, you know I wonder if having too few main eventers is a result of...bad booking? Naw, couldn't be.

:ughh:

Some people just will never be main eventers. Mr. Afro, most of the guys NOAH recently released, even KENTA will likely never be a main eventer.

NOAH can both have a dodgy talent base and bad booking, can't we agree?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Rikio was a worse wrestler after his title win than he was before. Ditto Morishima. If they both got BETTER, and were thus more over and more able to lead stables and kick rear end on small shows, the company would be in much better shape. If you expand booking to include overall management, Misawa and Akiyama both needed to take significant time off at some point in the last few years and never did. If they had, Misawa would be alive and Akiyama wouldn't be a wreck.

If NOAH had Rikio, Morishima and Akiyama as regular headliners, plus Marufuji as a threat (from his 2006 win), Sugiura and Shiozaki as rising stars, Misawa around for a shot every couple years, and one or two outside challengers a year, NOAH would be set. Now, Akiyama is out of the picture, Rikio sucks, Morishima is too fat to have a good reign, Misawa is gone, and that leaves Sugiura and Shiozaki.

I struggle to think of a single decent challenger for NOAH to use after Sugiura beats Makabe. Sugiura being challenged by IWGP junior champ Marufuji would be awkward, and Sugiura being challenged by a recently-dethroned IWGP junior champ Marufuji would be even more so. Takayama lost three big singles bouts in the last few months and will have to wait until at least late summer before they'd have him put over Sugi. Taue is beyond salvaging. Saito? Yone? Rikio? Sano? Ugh please no. Wait, there's Sasaki. Okay. So they do Sasaki in April, then...... Bison? Then Takayama? Okay that gets you through summer, and maybe then you can put the belt on Marufuji. Meanwhile there's a 99.99% chance NOAH doesn't go that route and instead books one or two Sugiura defenses from the Ultra Suck Crew. Blah.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NOAH always struck me as Misawa's playground. With him gone, I don't think the company will last much longer.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
SIGN KAWADA YOU STUPID DINGBATS

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

or co-promote with Dragon Gate.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

coconono posted:

NOAH always struck me as Misawa's playground. With him gone, I don't think the company will last much longer.
That could have been said about Zero-One, and it's still going, albeit feebly. Is 'feebly' a word? It should be. Anyway, NOAH at this point can just cut pay and be fine as the revenues decline.

Dragon Gate is a different market. There's nothing to compare it to in the US as far as how there's a wall between it and other promotions. Lots of 'regular' wrestling fans in Japan despise DG, and DG fans stick to DG.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

They really just need to establish some clear units again now that the dead weight is gone.

- Hero, Bison & Walker seem to be the new gaijin fixtures (hopeully Claudio gets some more tours as well). Have them actually team together on a permanent basis, with Hero as the singles threat.

- Is the Rikio / Kotaro / Genba / Yone heel unit even still around? DO SOMETHING WITH THEM

- Give Go some unit support, maybe make him the patron saint of the last dojo generation or something.

I simply don't buy the "NOAH has random booking and that's just how it's done" mindset. Because they had no trouble establishing units and conflicts between them in the early years.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 15, 2010

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Burning vs Sternness was the best stable feud anywhere in the entire decade. Burning vs Kensuke Office was swanky in 2008. One thing that's vital, though, is having 4 man units to create a variety of 6-man pairings. NOAH doesn't have enough good wrestlers to create more than two good stables. One is tempted to say that the stronger parts of a stable will cover for the weak, but my experience with 6-mans in Japan is that a match is only as good as the worst wrestler in it. Masao Inoue and (more recently) Taniguchi have been the death of many potentially great bouts.

Meawhile, Kensuke Office is apparently on good terms with Yoshie. ATTN NOAH: GET ON THAT RIGHT NOW.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

They also need to have yearly event like a tournament or some such. Those seem to draw pretty well.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
By that I assume you mean singles tournament, as opposed to tag. In which case I heartily agree.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Milano Collection AT is retiring due to an eye injury :(

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Wow sad news just keeps on coming and shows no signs of stopping. :(

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

HulkaMatt posted:

Wow sad news just keeps on coming and shows no signs of stopping. :(
Sano has pinned Morishima and Shiozaki so far on the tour so he'll probably get a title shot :(

Alpskeen
Oct 22, 2008
The differences in the current main event situations between US and Japanese promotions is fascinating. When it comes to US promotions, there's a wealth of talent people want to see pushed to the main event and given chances to become draws, which rarely happens, but in Japan it seems like it's the oppsoite. In the WWE the wrestler getting the biggest push right now is Shaemus, which is nepotic in nature, and both WWE and TNA half rear end and cock up most pushes, but they both have wrestlers that can have the potential to be big stars in the future. Tanahashi is the only wrestler I can think off the top of my head that has recently become a draw for a big promotion in Japan. Why is it that, for NOAH in particular, there doesn't seem to be many wrestlers that are on the verge of breaking through, or becoming big draws? Is it poor booking or lack of talent?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Alpskeen posted:

Why is it that, for NOAH in particular, there doesn't seem to be many wrestlers that are on the verge of breaking through, or becoming big draws? Is it poor booking or lack of talent?

I'm going to guess that MMA is robbing puro of viable heavyweight talent.

Also, NOAH's booking is pretty old guard-centric. Other than Shiozaki and Morishima(lose some weight, rear end in a top hat), their main eventers are guys you've seen for over a decade. When your old guys can't go anymore and you haven't been making new stars along the way, it leaves you with a main event that no one's excited about.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
I understand that Morishima is a face now, but could they really think of nothing better than to give him a fur coat and t-shirt cannon?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Alpskeen posted:

Why is it that, for NOAH in particular, there doesn't seem to be many wrestlers that are on the verge of breaking through, or becoming big draws? Is it poor booking or lack of talent?
I go into detail in my column linked a few posts back. I think the booking is more at fault than the wrestlers. Though only some of that is "protect the old guard", since Rikio and Morishima both had 6+ months as champ, Akiyama had multiple reigns, Marufuji got a reign (albeit brief), and Shiozaki was on his way even without the abrupt win last year. It has more to do with forgetting Baba-style booking.

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes

Alpskeen posted:

All Japan has been doing a fair job with Suwama putting him against top guys and letting him look good. of course he has already held the Triple Crown before but having a sixty-minute draw with Taiyo Kea and an awesome match w/Nishimura didn't seem to bring stardom. Plus Hama is moving fast in terms of importance, he's way beyond any other rookie level wrestler i can currently think of.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Big Japan put over more new guys in the last two years than most of the other bigger companies combined but I guess that depends on your definition of what a big draw is.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
:siren: This is getting ridiculous :siren:

Go Shiozaki is hurt. C/P translation: "He broke a floating bone in his right hand/wrist and I believe has some damage to his UCL(Ulnar Collateral Ligament) in his elbow."

:drat:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

...and NOAH's hosed. Literally all their draws are on the shelf. Super Delfin better step it up a notch.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

NOAH needs to stop for a while.

Just stop.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

HulkaMatt posted:

NOAH needs to stop for a while.

Just stop.
But then Morishima would start eating the juniors.

Granted that might happen regardless...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

NOAH bringing in Minoru Suzuki & Yutaka Yoshie.