Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
What about exclusive use of the piano? You should look into Eluvium's An Accidental Memory In the Case of Death, if so. It's one of my favourite albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Kuno posted:

I'm going to see them in their hometown venue in sheffield.

Its my first time seeing them and I'm super excited!

If you're based in Sheffield, try and see Corleone sometime, they're excellent.

http://www.last.fm/music/Corleone/_/Line%252FVoltage%2BInterruption

You can hear pretty much everything they've done on Last.fm, but that's a pretty typical example. They're making an album at the moment, so hopefully will start playing live again.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Thanks for the recommendations guys :)

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.

Sharrow posted:

I seriously have no idea how this is going to work given that it seems to be entirely a house night. Yet I am going to be there early expecting to be surprised.

Trip report: 65 opened with Tiger and holy poo poo, through matter's soundsystem it was absolutely mind-blowing. That was probably one of the best sets I've ever seen and as far as I remember it was pretty much all new material.

At one point they kicked the under-floor subwoofers up to max and I nearly fell over, heh.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I just saw a commercial for new balance that used "I believe in your victory" by this wil destroy you.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

suddenlyissoon posted:

I just saw a commercial for new balance that used "I believe in your victory" by this wil destroy you.

I remember seeing the remake of Prom Night last year, and the main character was listening to it while she was getting ready for prom. When I heard it come on, my reaction was "Wait...that can't be....This Will Destroy You? :psyduck:"

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Sharrow posted:

Trip report: 65 opened with Tiger and holy poo poo, through matter's soundsystem it was absolutely mind-blowing. That was probably one of the best sets I've ever seen and as far as I remember it was pretty much all new material.

At one point they kicked the under-floor subwoofers up to max and I nearly fell over, heh.

Tiger is the best 65dos song in ages. I can't wait till a decent recording surfaces. The ones on YouTube aren't too great.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Kuno posted:

While I'm here are there any good post rock bands that make extensive use of piano and/or horns in their stuff. The de-facto "bonus" instrument in post rock seems to be strings, but I really love for example when 65dos use pianos, which they did a lot on the destruction of small ideas.

Dude. Go listen to Samuel Jackson Five.

E: Oh also I dunno if anyone considers them post rock but The Pax Cecilia uses a hell of a lot of piano. Actually, everyone should go listen to Blessed are the Bonds if you haven't already. It's a couple years old, and I think it might've been posted in this thread a while ago, but it really deserves the love (and the cd is hosted free on their site!). They go from soft to very heavy without sounding too derivative.

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 22, 2009

Zero Trust
Dec 29, 2009

"the car's on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel..."
Thanks for all the listening reccomendations and especially the websites. Given me alot more to listen to of a genre rapidly becoming my favourite. I really do wish more people "understood" it though. I've shown it to few people and the reaction was basically "This poo poo is just boring, slow and weird" And I think most people would react the same. My musician friends got it though, and a couple of my band members are now really getting into it to.

Ash.W
Aug 2, 2004

bonk bonk

thehustler posted:

http://www.65daysofstatic.com/blog

Touring April/May and lots of other months I imagine. They want to get back to touring again for long periods of time, they haven't done much this year.

So that'll be the 9th time I've seen em :D

Cool, will hopefully see them in Bristol again but not in Thekla, for a change :)

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
Nthing Caspian's "Tertia" as one of the best, if not THE best album of the year. They're also really nice apparently, I casually mentioned on their FB page that my elderly mother was really into them (not expecting any sort of response of course) and they wrote "Dude... Amazing. These kind of things inspire us as a band profoundly." :3:

Great thread guys. I've spent the last month going through it from beginning to end and checked out every single band mentioned and my emusic "saved for later" list is now overflowing.

EDIT: Almost forgot, speaking of hearing TWDY in odd places, I was watching VH1's "The T.O. Show" (of all things) the other day, and I could swear they were playing "Burial on the Presidio Banks" during a scene where he goes home to visit his elderly mother or grandmother or something

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Someone was looking for primarily piano-based instrumental music...can't really be classified as post-rock, but I'm so excited for the new Goldmund album coming out next year.

It's probably going to rule!

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Ash.W posted:

Cool, will hopefully see them in Bristol again but not in Thekla, for a change :)

My girlfriend bought me two tickets for this for Christmas! What's the venue like?

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

snortpocket posted:

Nthing Caspian's "Tertia" as one of the best, if not THE best album of the year. They're also really nice apparently, I casually mentioned on their FB page that my elderly mother was really into them (not expecting any sort of response of course) and they wrote "Dude... Amazing. These kind of things inspire us as a band profoundly." :3:

A mate met all the band minus the drummer after a gig, and got them to sign his copy of 'Tertia' with a silver pen someone had. Apparently they were all really appreciative and happy to chat. After he gave the silver pen back, the drummer arrived, and was put out that he had to sign his name in biro, so drew a sad face under his signature.

LazerLemurz
Aug 11, 2009

Hooplah posted:

E: Oh also I dunno if anyone considers them post rock but The Pax Cecilia uses a hell of a lot of piano. Actually, everyone should go listen to Blessed are the Bonds if you haven't already. It's a couple years old, and I think it might've been posted in this thread a while ago, but it really deserves the love (and the cd is hosted free on their site!). They go from soft to very heavy without sounding too derivative.

So I was in the mood for some new music, and that band totally blew my mind a minute into, "The Tragedy." Thank you so much for this recommendation.

Now whether or not this band has been mentioned is beyond me, but Múm has really been keeping me interested recently. Green Grass of Tunnel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHTFmJk7fH0) is a fantastic starting point in my opinion. But be warned, I can see how some may find the singer's voice annoying. Lucky for you, not all of their songs include vocal tracks. Enjoy.

Edit: After looking more closely into Pax Cecilia, I realized they were a screamo band, and I remembered how much I hate screamo bands...

LazerLemurz fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 11, 2010

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..
I don't get the Caspian love in this thread because Tertia was awful except for The Raven but one song doesn't make the entire album not awful.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

albear posted:

I don't get the Caspian love in this thread because Tertia was awful except for The Raven but one song doesn't make the entire album not awful.

What the gently caress are you talking about? I mean, you're entitled to your own opinions and all, but awful? Really? Name a better, more cohesive post-rock album that's come out this year, besides Hymn To The Immortal Wind by Mono because that's a given.

I could see how you could think it's just okay, because while I don't agree, I have some friends who think that and I can understand where they're coming from. But how is it awful? If anyone asks me about getting into post-rock, Tertia's probably the first album I'd recommend.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Yeah, I thought Tertia was spectacular. I'm probably not bored of post-rock like a lot of people seem to be, though.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
I wouldn't call it absolutely spectacular, but The Four Trees blew me out of the water, this is just more of the same so the impact is lessened. It's still a very well done post rock album, and better than much of what the genre is putting out at the moment, really the only albums in 2009 that I'd have called amazing were From Monument to Masses, Do Make Say Think, Gifts from Enola and maybe Mono.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I really like Tertia, but the poo poo sound just makes it annoying to listen to.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Besides, what does it matter? "Post-rock", whether you hate or like the term, is so large you'll find different bands that totally don't sound alike. I for one hate the droney sound of Caspian or Do Make Say Think that people keep raving about, but I don't mention it out of respect. :colbert:

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Name a better, more cohesive post-rock album that's come out this year, besides Hymn To The Immortal Wind by Mono because that's a given.

There isnt one, although Blueneck came close

Anyways, Mono live was one of the most incredible shows I have ever seen. They are loud.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Just booked a ticket for A Silver Mt Zion in London, how are they live?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I'm not sure if this is Post-Rock, but I think it is, and they sorta halfway identify as it. I saw this link in that Youtube GBS thread and I really liked it - hopefully it hasn't been already posted here :v:

Specific Oceans - Peter and the Wolf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcAJ4iE5Gi4

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

joelcamefalling posted:

Anyways, Mono live was one of the most incredible shows I have ever seen. They are loud.

Definitely. If any of you get a chance to go see them, TAKE IT. You won't regret it one bit.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
You all need to listen to the new The American Dollar album, Atlas. piano melodies with electronics and a drum machine never sounded so awesome.

(I suck at writing recommendations, but believe me, it's REALLY good)

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
How 'bout that new A/Thee Silver Mt. Zion then?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ICA posted:

How 'bout that new A/Thee Silver Mt. Zion then?

Listening now. It's pretty loving fantastic so far. The version of "There Is a Light" sounds a lot like Spiritualized. This is even less of a "traditional post-rock" album than their last one was. I don't even know that the label applies to them at all anymore.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Version? Is it a cover? If so by whom originally?

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

It's not a cover song. They've been playing it live for a few years now. I haven't heard the new album, but the version on it is probably different.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

slowdave posted:

It's not a cover song. They've been playing it live for a few years now. I haven't heard the new album, but the version on it is probably different.

Yeah, that's what I meant. This recorded version, as opposed to hearing it live.

The whole album is really fantastic, but I can't say I'm surprised at that. The recorded "Metal Bird" suite is really angry and chaotic and even heavier than the last album.

At this rate they're going to end up a metal band in a couple years.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
That would pretty much own. I haven't listened to it yet but SMZ are my favourite post rock even if they aren't quite a post rock post rock band.

I think that made sense.

Listening to it now, wow is it just me or is efrim singing a lot better, at least on the first track which is all I've heard so far.

Kuno fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 15, 2010

LazerLemurz
Aug 11, 2009
Bloemfontein is another one of those post-rock bands that just grab your attention. Their style ranges from songs like DMST's faster stuff to, "Dead Flag Blues," -esque pieces. The best is when they combine the two styles. This is one of the bands that goes for the long songs that flow nicely into one another, so if that's not you're thing I suggest you avoid their music (they have a CD of 9 songs that exceeds 2 hours...). And it may be the biggest pain to find samples of their music, try CBC radio, that's where I found some short samples.

As for the reappearance of A Silver Mount Zion into the thread, all I can say is amazing band.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Rhg0061r posted:

You all need to listen to the new The American Dollar album, Atlas. piano melodies with electronics and a drum machine never sounded so awesome.

(I suck at writing recommendations, but believe me, it's REALLY good)

Thanks for posting this. I'm just barely getting into the album now but I'm really liking the combination of post-rock and ambient they seem to be going for here.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Starsnostars posted:

Just booked a ticket for A Silver Mt Zion in London, how are they live?

The definition of a great band, to me, is one which can't be fully and justly captured on a recording, no matter how good the recording is. SMZ is one of those bands. Seen them twice, once after "Horses..." and once after "13 Blues...". Easily the best live shows I have ever seen in my entire life, don't expect them to be topped and I'm ok with that. Do Make Say Think came close, though.

Swarthy Libations
Oct 21, 2008

It'll make a whisper out of you.

68k posted:

The definition of a great band, to me, is one which can't be fully and justly captured on a recording, no matter how good the recording is. SMZ is one of those bands. Seen them twice, once after "Horses..." and once after "13 Blues...". Easily the best live shows I have ever seen in my entire life, don't expect them to be topped and I'm ok with that. Do Make Say Think came close, though.

DMST is definitely my favorite post-rock band. Haven't been able to see them live yet. Good thing I checked this thread though. It looks like they're playing the Troubadour on the 1st of next month. I'm so buying tickets as soon as I can scrape together the $16.

So DMST is really good live? Everyone I know who's seen ASMZ has said that they're super intense live.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I saw Do Make Say Think live in october and they were great. What made them different to a lot of other post rock bands I've seen is that they spoke to the crowd a lot and really seemed like they were having a good time and were happy to be there. And of course they sounded amazing, I think they're second only to Grails when it comes to live post rock I've seen.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Yea, DMST puts on a really special show. One of the times I saw them they had audience participation, having everyone use their car keys as instruments. :3:

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Definitely. If any of you get a chance to go see them, TAKE IT. You won't regret it one bit.

They're already on tour again, at least in Europe. I'm seeing them in March for the 3rd time in less than 3 years, I don't know any other band that tours practically non-stop year after year like they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Lord of Sword posted:

They're already on tour again, at least in Europe. I'm seeing them in March for the 3rd time in less than 3 years, I don't know any other band that tours practically non-stop year after year like they do.

Yet never coming to Ireland :(