Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Mr. Deathy posted:

I think it was me who mentioned that. Here's the cover by the way. I think it's from well before the Gedo fight but I'm not sure.

http://i43.tinypic.com/16trb9.jpg

Even if he doesn't beat Woli with a new Dempsey Roll, I agree with your theory that this is the last of the non-World Ranked fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

L.E. Cheetah posted:

Since Ippo is kind of modeled after Mike Tyson, you guys should have expected this decline all along. Soon the Coach will die and a money hungry person with tall hair will take over managing Ippo, and the decline will begin in earnest.

Nah, the decline will only start when Ippo buys a tiger for his giant mansion.

...A Naniwa Tiger! :rimshot:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

pnumoman posted:

Nah, the decline will only start when Ippo buys a tiger for his giant mansion.

...A Naniwa Tiger! :rimshot:

Are you saying Ippo would keep Sendo as his gay love slave? I call bullshit- everyone knows Ippo is a bottom.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Kind of makes me wonder what the hell the perfected Dempsey Roll would be. What he did against Sawamura is nice and all, but it would tear the loving hell out of his knees and ankles. Is he just magically gonna be able to do that at some point with no chance of injury?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Geop posted:

Kind of makes me wonder what the hell the perfected Dempsey Roll would be. What he did against Sawamura is nice and all, but it would tear the loving hell out of his knees and ankles. Is he just magically gonna be able to do that at some point with no chance of injury?

I don't think it will be as much of a problem for him if he does it again since he has built up the muscles in his legs and core to handle the stress of the start and stop Dempsey roll. The coach was saying at that time that he was building up his muscles so that eventually he would be able to do it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
However, the new Dempsey Roll hasn't been mentioned in about 300 chapters and wasn't even hinted at during the pre-match training. Ippo never wins by pulling new moves out of his rear end; that's reserved for Miyata because he is a ~genius~. If it ever appears at all it will be during the world ranking matches.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
880 is out.
http://uploading.com/files/get/dmfd852c/

In this chapter, Mori forcibly tries to remove most his fanbase.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
My early theory for this fight is coming true: Ippo is changing his strategy to "think smaller" i.e. worry less about doing actual damage and more about hitting Woli no matter what it takes. This is somehow going to translate into winning, possibly because Woli can't take hits at all, because he's probably not ever been hit before, even by his old man. I'm going to guess that his composure and focus to crumble once he's nailed.

If Ippo was Punch-Out! Woli would have bananas circling his head once he's finally hit.

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 11, 2010

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Gonna read it in the morning. Uploading takes forever for me. But I read the description, and it's really laughable. This manga has shitballed it so fast.

Geop fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 11, 2010

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh look. Another chapter without Ippo landing a blow and getting his poo poo pushed in.

Gurren Lagann: THIS. loving. SHOW. :kamina::swoon:

Hajime No Ippo: THIS. loving. MANGA. :bang::suicide:

Honestly where did he go wrong. There is nothing interesting about this fight. He simply created some unassailable genius who is going to lose because his trainer told him to switch from his winning strategy that would have destroyed Ippo. Even AFTER he's switched to a boxing match instead of jumping all over the place he is absolutely wrecking Ippos poo poo in an INFIGHT where he is Grand King Poobah.
gently caress this entire fight.

Cannot wait till it's over.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 11, 2010

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
I'm assuming that's the raw?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yes

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The best part of all this is that even if Ippo wins, the other coach can just be like "well, I wasn't expecting to win anyway. :smug:"

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Can everyone at least say about this fight that they'll be very satisfied and entertained when Woli finally takes a massive punch that knocks him the gently caress down and wipes the smug look off his face?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Mr. Deathy posted:

Can everyone at least say about this fight that they'll be very satisfied and entertained when Woli finally takes a massive punch that knocks him the gently caress down and wipes the smug look off his face?

Relieved is a better way to put it I guess. Although I would be tickled pink if ippo just loses cuz we aren't expecting it.

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
After Ippo loses, he decides that boxing isn't for him and he goes on to run the fishing business which through determination and some luck becomes an empire thats sets him up for life. He sees Woli on television become a world champion, and he smiles -- his will passed along through the jungle boy.

The End

Epilogue: he gets Parkinsons.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They could always change the focus of the series to shounen fishing. Of course, the Makunouchi family business isn't so much fishing as it is transporting passengers, but that is a minor problem. They could even keep Miyata as Ippo's rival, only now with a supersonic reeling technique or something (I don't actually know anything about fishing).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Leonard Leroy posted:

After Ippo loses, he decides that boxing isn't for him and he goes on to run the fishing business which through determination and some luck becomes an empire thats sets him up for life. He sees Woli on television become a world champion, and he smiles -- his will passed along through the jungle boy.

The End

Epilogue: That was all a dream because he is brain damaged and has to be taken care of by his mother.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Mr. Deathy posted:

Mogli will loose because of a rare heart condition and so his coach will have to throw the towel, but Ippo knows he didn't actually won this fight. So he will train harder so he can face Mogli when he gets better

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

Infinitum posted:

Epilogue: That was all a dream because he is brain damaged and has to be taken care of by his mother.

But he's also developed dementia and keeps thinking his mom is Miyata. The dementia makes him think that he's fighting Miyata for the first time again in the gym and keeps beating the poo poo out of his mom.

I don't think I've ever ended up disliking a main character as much as I dislike Ippo right now. Even more surprising is that the same things that made me like his character in the beginning is what makes me hate him so much now. I want him to lose this fight so badly, I know he won't but I really do (and he needs to lose again cause he needs a reason to give up his Japanese belt and stop loving around at the national level and move on to the world for real).

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe Kamogawa will throw some bananas into the ring to distract him? Then maybe Ippo can land a punch.

... poisoned bananas.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
One of the major problems with the series now is that Ippo doesn't even seem to want to challenge Martinez. His only goal was to get sweaty with Miyata, and ever since that fell through he has just been treading water with terrible fights. Ippo hasn't been growing as a boxer for the last 1/3 to 1/4 of the manga. Of course, he hasn't grown as a character for much longer than that, but anything on that end is probably dependent on Kumi so I don't care as much. As lovely as this match is, it would become worthwhile if being smacked around and dominated by racist jungle magic fighting got Ippo to move forward a bit.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

gently caress this fight and gently caress whoever thought it was a great idea to give demigod boxing powers to :smug:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ilifin posted:

gently caress this fight and gently caress whoever thought it was a great idea to give demigod boxing powers to :smug:

I'm all cool with Woli as a CONCEPT, but they needed to build him up a hell of a lot more. It would have been a much better fight card if they built up Woli as this undefeated champion who has NEVER taken a hit and dropped the 'found him in the jungle, this is his 3rd match and he is my last son' sctick. Like still keep the 'no footage of monkey man' angle, but have him with like 60 fights in some underground arena and he's only just made his debut to the rest of the world instead of this unopposed genius.
Hell during the Bryan Hawk match you could have done some foreshadowing with a "You may have defeated Bryan, but my other son is now gunning for Ippo's title"

Then I could understand him being this smug little poo poo with a constant smile on his face. THEN it would be satisfying when Ippo finally starts pounding the crap out of him as opposed to "Oh Ippo finally got a hit in, maybe this fight will end soon."

All the Asian Champions have been fairly poo poo to be honest.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah. It sucks when Ippo is getting creamed by an underdog :(

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Infinitum posted:

I'm all cool with Woli as a CONCEPT, but they needed to build him up a hell of a lot more. It would have been a much better fight card if they built up Woli as this undefeated champion who has NEVER taken a hit and dropped the 'found him in the jungle, this is his 3rd match and he is my last son' sctick. Like still keep the 'no footage of monkey man' angle, but have him with like 60 fights in some underground arena and he's only just made his debut to the rest of the world instead of this unopposed genius.
Hell during the Bryan Hawk match you could have done some foreshadowing with a "You may have defeated Bryan, but my other son is now gunning for Ippo's title"

Then I could understand him being this smug little poo poo with a constant smile on his face. THEN it would be satisfying when Ippo finally starts pounding the crap out of him as opposed to "Oh Ippo finally got a hit in, maybe this fight will end soon."

All the Asian Champions have been fairly poo poo to be honest.
They could have told me he was from the Hanma family and I would have sat there being as giddy as Bakis mother when she sees Yujiro fight. Instead he is the magic jungle man from an island in nowhere where magic trainer guy has tried to control the latent magic of a magic :smug:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Monkey Magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iUMWy4hqAg

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You see, Woli has never been hit, so when Ippo, half dead, finally manages to smack his cocky monkey face he'll be all "WTF? getting hit hurts? gently caress this poo poo!".

Then he will whistle and his pet flying monkeys will carry him to the island of bananas, in the grand line, where he'll live happily for the rest of his life.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

trucutru posted:

You see, Woli has never been hit, so when Ippo, half dead, finally manages to smack his cocky monkey face he'll be all "WTF? getting hit hurts? gently caress this poo poo!".

Then he will whistle and his pet flying monkeys will carry him to the island of bananas, in the grand line, where he'll live happily for the rest of his life.

yeah you wish

seeing how this is going we will find out he was wrestling gorillas all along and is actually The Sturdiest Man alive and takes all of Ippo's punches never losing the :smug: and then Ippo somehow gets that green light in his eyes and you hear the theme song even tho it's the manga and starts winning with inhuman power but then Woli turns into a super saiyan and kills everyone and Piccolo has to step in

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

The only way this fight can redeem itself is if Ippo goes berserk mode a la Takamura in his Hawk bout. Goes berserk and beats the living piss out of Woli. That would be quite nice :v: I can see what Mori is trying to do. He's trying to do a parallel to Kamogawa's bout with Sanders, but that was so much better. Sure, it's impossible for Ippo to fight someone who is several weight classes above him, but at least put him against somebody who is a way tougher than he is. Some dude who goes "oh, he hits harder than everyone I've been up against. Buuuut it's not enough!" It's just so aggravating to see Woli dodge EVERY loving SWING.

It'd be easier to swallow if Woli wasn't a three-bout newbie. I hate bouts where the regular crew at the gym go "oh well Ippo's going to win so easily because blah blah :smuggo:" before they even start the fight. I miss the days where Ippo was up against some monster and everyone would just go "lol ur fuked ippo".

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Swamp Zero posted:

yeah you wish

seeing how this is going we will find out he was wrestling gorillas all along and is actually The Sturdiest Man alive and takes all of Ippo's punches never losing the :smug: and then Ippo somehow gets that green light in his eyes and you hear the theme song even tho it's the manga and starts winning with inhuman power but then Woli turns into a super saiyan and kills everyone and Piccolo has to step in

I'm pretty sure this would be better than whatever Mori has planned.

... but even if it wasn't, I want this to happen anyway.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Coughing Hobo posted:

I'm pretty sure this would be better than whatever Mori has planned.

... but even if it wasn't, I want this to happen anyway.

Gonna turn out that Ippo has been holding back. NOW I GUESS I'LL HAVE TO RAISE UP MY POWER LEVELAAAUUUUUGHHHH :black101:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Geop posted:

Gonna turn out that Ippo has been holding back. NOW I GUESS I'LL HAVE TO RAISE UP MY POWER LEVELAAAUUUUUGHHHH :black101:

But not after two years of training in the hyperbolic time gym.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I bet the manga will own again once Ippo moves to the world stage. Which should be after this fight. Which will be 40 more chapters.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

tbp posted:

I bet the manga will own again once Ippo moves to the world stage. Which should be after this fight. Which will be 40 more chapters.

*shakes head sadly* This poor soul has been lost to his delusions.

I gotta wonder, do they not get feedback? Of course, the japanese might have completely different tastes and just eat this poo poo up, but I gotta hope and pray that that's not the case. When is the author gonna get a clue?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
He started this thing in 89, I don't think there's much the editors will do about it, since he could probably have an off-yeah and still remain employed.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

LightWarden posted:

He started this thing in 89, I don't think there's much the editors will do about it, since he could probably have an off-yeah and still remain employed.

Well yeah I doubt the editors would do poo poo but I mean if everyone hates it then obviously he'd get the message. Of course, nerds in japan are probably like nerds here, which means if it blows they keep reading it just to complain.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

Of course, nerds in japan are probably like nerds here, which means if it blows they keep reading it just to complain.
Some folks just cling to a bad series and have no taste :( Defend it until the bloody, horribly-told end.

See: Naruto

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Geop posted:

Some folks just cling to a bad series and have no taste :( Defend it until the bloody, horribly-told end.

See: Naruto

I honestly prefer an evil old bastard slapping Sasuke around while accurately calling him a failure to monkey magic bullshit that never ends. Not that one awesome minor character really makes up for all the problems that series has, but considering how bad HnI has been for the last couple of years it is probably best to avoid comparing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Ippo loses to Woli, costing him all his ranking so he has to start from scratch. And since apparently he's forgotten everything he's learned so far we get to watch him remember it all.

Or just lose everything to brain damage, either way.