Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I'm thinking of getting a new bike. I want something big and orange, what do you recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zool posted:

I'm thinking of getting a new bike. I want something big and orange, what do you recommend?
BMW Rockster

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=3#post371073688

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Obligatory bought a bike finally pics:

It's blurry, I know. Look at my creative condo garage parking! :v:

I can't wait until I get another one of these once they see the bike:

They can gently caress right off though because I own the loving spot!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That's hilariously passive aggressive. I'd tell them "If you'd treated me like a real human being rather than being passive aggressive douchebag, I may have actually been inclined to help you. Because you didn't, go gently caress yourself. FYI, I have a camera on my car, and if any of you hit and run on it, I will skip straight to the police report. Thanks!"

What douchebags.

We should have a burnout contest, your place! :haw:

Oh yeah, nice bike too :)

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Hah, someone can't loving park. enjoy the bike.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Z3n posted:

That's hilariously passive aggressive. I'd tell them "If you'd treated me like a real human being rather than being passive aggressive douchebag, I may have actually been inclined to help you. Because you didn't, go gently caress yourself. FYI, I have a camera on my car, and if any of you hit and run on it, I will skip straight to the police report. Thanks!"

What douchebags.

We should have a burnout contest, your place! :haw:

Oh yeah, nice bike too :)

Exactly, I feel inclined to park worse.. However, I actually like all of the neighbors I've met save swamp lady (senile old hoarder who breeds roaches and spits in the hallway)

Pretty sure it was one of the sassy renters who probably is fat and has some lovely SUV.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Congrats on the bike. Looks nice.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

soy posted:

Exactly, I feel inclined to park worse.. However, I actually like all of the neighbors I've met save swamp lady (senile old hoarder who breeds roaches and spits in the hallway)

Pretty sure it was one of the sassy renters who probably is fat and has some lovely SUV.

What the gently caress is a garager too? drat. Also the grammar there is super loving stilted and weird. Crazy neighbors.

If it were posted on my car, I'd just post it at the front of my garage spot with a "DISREGARD THIS, I SUCK COCKS" at the bottom.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zool posted:

You had to ask?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Z3n posted:

What the gently caress is a garager too? drat. Also the grammar there is super loving stilted and weird. Crazy neighbors.

If it were posted on my car, I'd just post it at the front of my garage spot with a "DISREGARD THIS, I SUCK COCKS" at the bottom.

ya I don't really need to give anymore a reason to put water in my tank or something.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

2ndclasscitizen posted:

You had to ask?

Hmm what's that maybe I'll get one of those thingies.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hm. I saw a local (DC area) Craiglist ad for a 2009 Bonneville with 2600 miles for $4200 and emailed the seller. This is the response I got:

quote:

Hi there,

First of all I want to thank you for your interest for my motorcycle. I am selling it at this price ($4200) because I just finished the divorce with my husband.
When the divorce has finished i own this motorcycle. Now as a woman i don't need it. This motorcycle is in excellent working condition, no scratches, flaws or any kind of damage, slightly used in 100% working and looking conditions and comes with a clear title, 3 months transferable warranty.
From the beginning you have to know that for the payment I request only secure pay.
I am from San Jose,CA.I am a eBay member from 2003 and i would like to use eBay to handle our transaction, cause i trust them more then i trust my best friend.
We will use a safe payment method because I am affiliated at eBay and I have a purchase protection account for $20,000.
The final price that I want for this motorcycle is $4200 US including shipping and handling.
If you are interested please let me know.

Thank you for your time!...
Seems vaguely scammy. I'm not entirely worried since I don't have the money just yet, but any thoughts? The original ad seems to be gone, as well.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

"Now as a woman I dont need it"

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Hm. I saw a local (DC area) Craiglist ad for a 2009 Bonneville with 2600 miles for $4200 and emailed the seller. This is the response I got:

Seems vaguely scammy. I'm not entirely worried since I don't have the money just yet, but any thoughts? The original ad seems to be gone, as well.

"vaguely scammy" is the understatement of the year and it's only january. This is a common-as-dirt craigslist scam. No matter how much money you send to that person, you will never see that bike. Stay away, brother. Funny thing, they always use the divorce story. I am not sure why this is, I guess because most guys buying motorcycles think women are dumb--or the scammers just assume this? I don't know. I once saw a 2008 goldwing being sold for 2800$ and got roughly this same e-mail.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Zool posted:

KTM anything

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

KTM anything

KTM's are owned by just the worst kinds of people.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Endless Mike posted:

craigslist posted:

OFFERS TO SHIP CARS ARE 100% FRAUDULENT

Bikes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ohwandernearer posted:

"vaguely scammy" is the understatement of the year and it's only january.
That's what I figured but I wasn't sure. I'm new to this whole Craigslist thing. To be fair I was pretty sure when the email was from a male's name. Oh well, I'll keep looking.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

That's what I figured but I wasn't sure. I'm new to this whole Craigslist thing. To be fair I was pretty sure when the email was from a male's name. Oh well, I'll keep looking.

It's supposedly local to you and the guy is trying to say he considers EBay more secure and trustworthy than cash in hand, which is completely ridiculous.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

mewse posted:

It's supposedly local to you and the guy is trying to say he considers EBay more secure and trustworthy than cash in hand, which is completely ridiculous.

Yeah this "The final price that I want for this motorcycle is $4200 US including shipping and handling." makes no sense whatsoever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I really hate people who list on Craigslist or eBay and are impossible to get a hold of, return calls, or meet up to make the transaction.

Here's my story:

I find a bike I want. It's about 90 miles away. The bike has been on CL for over a month. I email the guy asking if the bike is black, blue, purple or some other mystery color, because he took pictures of it outside and the blue sky reflects off the bike (I was pretty sure it was black, but wanted to be sure). I also asked the guy if he could email me any other pictures he had, since CL defaults to those little tiny compressed to gently caress pictures.

He replies back:

quote:

yea its black

That day I write back to him, asking again for some pictures, and then ask a couple questions about the bike. I've went and looked at 'mint condition' bikes with dented wheels, patched tires, re-painted tails, and engine cases all scratched up

quote:

Them all the pictures we have. Dad sent them to me, I'll ask him to take a few more. Wont have them for a little bit. Bike is in great condition. Didn't forget to mention any nicks.

Since it's snowing out, I ask the guy if he has a truck and if he'll just bring me the bike. He agrees.

quote:

Yes. The bike is stored at my dad's house. I do have a truck and can bring it down. I am not currently in Michigan, however if you want to call me next week, later in the week well talk about it.

I wasn't doing anything that weekend so email back asking if I can just go up there with the cash, a buddy and a truck, and just get the bike from his dad's house. No response.

:argh:

I wait a couple days and then call the guy on the phone. He's from this area, he's going to school here, but he was visiting family out of state. He's switching colleges, so he's moving and finishing up some classes or something, so he's real busy. He says he can bring the bike to me not this weekend, but next weekend. Seeing that it's January, I'm not in a real rush. The good news is that he bought the bike and only rode it a couple times, didn't have the time to ride it, and it's always been kept inside his apartment and has 900 miles on it.

I send the guy a text today, asking what day this weekend was going to be best for him, so I could plan my weekend accordingly.

quote:

not sure...im really busy right now and not sure if ill be in town this weekend...ill have to let u nkow when i can get it down there

:argh:

I understand that worst case scenario, it's going to take this guy 6 hours out of his day to do this deal.

1.5 hours drive to his dads to get the bike
1.5 hours drive back here to bring me the bike
1.5 hours drive his dads truck back to get his car
1.5 hours drive back home

I've offered to drive the guy up to his dads, offered to let him use my ramps to load it into his dads truck, and even to just go up to his dads to go get it by my goddamn self.

In the meantime my old bike is up for sale at a much lower price than I paid for it (but not that much lower to where I'm going to give up on this bike just yet). I'm still looking around and will buy something else if I come across the right deal.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah this "The final price that I want for this motorcycle is $4200 US including shipping and handling." makes no sense whatsoever.

:siren: FINAL PRICE :siren:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

:words: on craigslist

This is why you should just buy my 636. No screwing around, just a plane trip and one long rear end ride home :parrot:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Z3n posted:

This is why you should just buy my 636. No screwing around, just a plane trip and one long rear end ride home :parrot:

Where it is and how much

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Where it is and how much

Santa Barbara, and 3300$. It's not quite ready for prime time yet, but meh. Salvage title, 15k miles, pics in my project thread, rebuild from the ground up by me. I want to ride it for around 500 miles and tear it down again and double check torque on pretty much everything, but it should be good to go soon.

Not really a reasonable option, but still. :haw:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 19, 2010

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
After all of that searching, I am now the proud owner of a 2004 Kawasaki KLR650 with 9,000 miles. I had a 2007 several years ago that I had to sell for school so these bikes are not new to me. Its a single-owner bike and the guy already did the Doohickey and sub-frame bolt upgrades. New tires and an aftermarket seat. Since my car blew the headgasket, I'll be with the KLR as my sole means of transportation for a little while. We'll see how that goes. Thanks to the people who gave me advice on the different bikes I was considering.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

After all of that searching, I am now the proud owner of a 2004 Kawasaki KLR650 with 9,000 miles. I had a 2007 several years ago that I had to sell for school so these bikes are not new to me. Its a single-owner bike and the guy already did the Doohickey and sub-frame bolt upgrades. New tires and an aftermarket seat. Since my car blew the headgasket, I'll be with the KLR as my sole means of transportation for a little while. We'll see how that goes. Thanks to the people who gave me advice on the different bikes I was considering.

How much did that cost you/where are you in the country? I have been gazing fondly at KLR and am just wondering.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

ohwandernearer posted:

How much did that cost you/where are you in the country? I have been gazing fondly at KLR and am just wondering.

I paid $2900 and I'm in the panhandle of Florida.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Speaking from experience, If you have some luggage (a top case at the very least), a KLR works quite well as the sole means of transportation.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Say, for some odd reason, I'm looking at a Vee (Suzuki V-Strom DL1000).

Which one of these looks like a better deal?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/mcy/1558293010.html

or

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mcy/1556532544.html

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

redscare posted:

Speaking from experience, If you have some luggage (a top case at the very least), a KLR works quite well as the sole means of transportation.

i have a 45 litre top case and 60 litre saddle bags, so i can do like a month's grocery shopping on mine if I need to

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Radbot posted:

Say, for some odd reason, I'm looking at a Vee (Suzuki V-Strom DL1000).

Which one of these looks like a better deal?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/mcy/1558293010.html

or

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mcy/1556532544.html

I'd offer the second guy 4500$. The topcase rack and mods on that one are more appealing, despite the slightly higher mileage.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Nevermind went and looked at it, will be buying it once I can get my truck running to go pick it up.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 22, 2010

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009
Was taking a look at this.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/mcy/1564085624.html

Will call the guy today to ask him questions, but what should I ask him? Anything in particular I should be looking for on this bike? Is it even decent? How about the price?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Those old SECA's are fairly decent. Rode with a guy that one a few times, he kept up fairly well even when we rocked it up at 120+

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Nucka posted:

Was taking a look at this.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/mcy/1564085624.html

Will call the guy today to ask him questions, but what should I ask him? Anything in particular I should be looking for on this bike? Is it even decent? How about the price?

Since he has no useful information whatsoever, you'll need to ask him everything. We had a biek wiki that had the common used bike questions, but I've lost track of it. maybe somebody else has it still?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Who's had a 929RR?

Found one with 1500 miles on it, 2000 model year, in storage. Going to call and see what color it is at lunch.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Who's had a 929RR?

Found one with 1500 miles on it, 2000 model year, in storage. Going to call and see what color it is at lunch.

It's like a 600 with literbike power. Not quite as fast as a modern bike but really fun to ride, relatively comfortable (for a supersport) and an excellent all around bike. I had mine from for around 15k, from 35k up to 50k. I sold it because I was getting too many tickets on the loving thing, just too easy to ride fast.

Stupid fast, really.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baE_kl9V0Sk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Was that on the 33?