Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

Overflow/vent tubes.
they redirect overflows from the carbs and gases from the battery, usually. so that these caustic chemicals don't just end up on various parts of the engine/frame. just fyi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
79.GS850 - Airbox and battery box, hi temp paint needed? or normal poo poo

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Dubs posted:

79.GS850 - Airbox and battery box, hi temp paint needed? or normal poo poo

Normal poo poo. Hi temp paint is for really hi temp places. I painted my headers with hi temp, they turned out lovely. I also painted my flaky oil cooler with it. It didn't get hot enough to harden the paint so it's flaky again. :(

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Speaking of paint. I need more yay/nays on this:

Paint the rims flat black with red rim tape?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
I was thinking the same thing.

yay, because its bright as all gently caress at night and bling.

nay, because red and orange.

helpful?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My tank is red (if that's what you mean), it's just the camera couldn't do white balance if it was the see-saw caretaker on a Ku Klux Klan fun fair.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I don't like painted rims or rim tape, so I say Nay.

But that's just me.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
can you paint them black and have a thin line of tape?

I always thought this looked sharp.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That's exactly the look I'm thinking about. If I don't go for that, I'll just clean them thoroughly with my chinese Dremel ripoff and possibly clearcoat them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Rim tape is fairly cheap, I vote that you put some rim tape on it as it sits and see how it looks.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So I've been e-mailing people from all around southern California about their V-Stroms. Here's what I've found so far, and if anyone has any input on what they think is the best deal, that'd be great! Keep in mind that money is pretty tight for me (I can afford a bike, but an extra $500 that I didn't have to spend would be quite nice).

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/1548591871.html

07 Wee-Strom with 8900 miles and minor mods, looks pretty much perfect. $4900 OBO. The guy seems pretty stand up and has e-mailed me lots of extra pics.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1548685945.html

06 Wee-Strom with 12k miles and a handful of mods, basically stock. $4500 OBO.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/mcy/1546187186.html

06 V-Strom DL1000 with 17k miles, bone stock, tires may need replacing soon. But the extra power may be nice. $4900 OBO. Would require a long travel to get there.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1555932860.html

04 Wee-Strom. High miles at 47,600, but it's also the cheapest at $3400 OBO. Asked him about maintenance, and he said "Valves have been checked a while back, but they should be checked in the near future. The front fork needs to be gone over, I have the seals and oil, but have not gotten around to doing it."

Knowing that I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as possible, which one of these would be the best to go for? Would it be best to stretch for the more expensive ones?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd go with the cheaper one, personally. That 1500$ is a lot of money, and the SV engine, if well cared for, will go forever. But I also don't have any problems working on the bikes, etc.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1548685945.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/1548591871.html

I would only bother with both of these.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Any particular reason? Lower miles/better general quality?

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Radbot posted:

Any particular reason? Lower miles/better general quality?

Lower miles, probably no little hidden issues, Less worn out, you can put more miles on it. Its true that owner maintenance has more importance than the mileage on a bike, but I still feel weird buying a 47k bike that has some little problems. I don't even know if you'd want a DL1000.

Also if you are in San Diego you should add me to your friends list, I love the dual sports as well.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

Rim tape is fairly cheap, I vote that you put some rim tape on it as it sits and see how it looks.

Yup, going to try that. Is it easy to remove? And if putting it on for good, do you need to clear coat?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Yup, going to try that. Is it easy to remove? And if putting it on for good, do you need to clear coat?

It's very easy to remove, and there's no need for clear coat over it.

Chili makes some good points. I don't have a problem buying high mileage bikes, but I'd have to see it in person. If it looks clean and well kept, it's probably fine. If it looks crappy and gunky, like the guy is dumping it before it explodes, I'd run.

Nihilanth
Jan 23, 2007
So I have an old 1988 rm125 that I'm fixing to ride and sell eventually. A while ago my dad and I were taking apart the clutch, and we accidentally broke one of the forks/posts on the clutch basket off. (No impact wrench at the time, plus the nut is backwards threaded, oops.) We ended up just putting it back together with the broken fork and it seemed to ride/shift fine. I was just wondering what kind of problems that could cause, if any.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nihilanth posted:

So I have an old 1988 rm125 that I'm fixing to ride and sell eventually. A while ago my dad and I were taking apart the clutch, and we accidentally broke one of the forks/posts on the clutch basket off. (No impact wrench at the time, plus the nut is backwards threaded, oops.) We ended up just putting it back together with the broken fork and it seemed to ride/shift fine. I was just wondering what kind of problems that could cause, if any.

Premature clutch wear, you're not gonna mesh the plates together properly when it's missing a spring. Besides that it'll still run.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
What would be a good method of cleaning off my exhaust pipes and muffler? The rainy weather riding really did a number on it and it looks like it was dunked in some sort of liquid poo poo mixture and then baked on.

Also along those lines what is a good all-purpose cleaner I could spray on the front of the bike and around the frame to dissolve a lot of the road gunk I built up last season?

Nihilanth
Jan 23, 2007
We actually broke that inner clutch part too (hub, i think?) but I bought a replacement for that, So it's not missing a spring. It's one of these forks that it's running without.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd imagine it's not exactly good for it, but it's probably not going to cause it to explode or anything.

Nihilanth
Jan 23, 2007
Okay, cool. I looked at replacing it but it's a 100+ dollar part. I don't really think it's worth it for a bike that old. Especially if the broken one doesn't cause problems.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nihilanth posted:

Okay, cool. I looked at replacing it but it's a 100+ dollar part. I don't really think it's worth it for a bike that old. Especially if the broken one doesn't cause problems.

I could see it stressing the clutch plates more and stuff, but if you're just gonna be abusing the bike until it goes, I wouldn't bother with it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

dietcokefiend posted:

What would be a good method of cleaning off my exhaust pipes and muffler? The rainy weather riding really did a number on it and it looks like it was dunked in some sort of liquid poo poo mixture and then baked on.

Also along those lines what is a good all-purpose cleaner I could spray on the front of the bike and around the frame to dissolve a lot of the road gunk I built up last season?

Strangely, I had good luck with WD-40 getting dried and baked on road tar off my bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ola posted:

You wont have to clear coat it on. It can come back off, but the stuff I've dealt with has been designed to stick and stick well, so its not coming off without some work.

Thats what you want in rimtape though, which is good for if you're leaving it on forever, but bad for testing it.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://westcoastgpcycles.com/

Anyone have any experience with these dudes? All the online reviews I saw were pretty glowing, and they said they'd service my little 08 ex250j.

I think I'm going to get some new tires, even though my current ones are not entirely worn out. Going to have them check out stuff like valves or whatever else I'm missing.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

soy posted:

Anyone have any experience with these dudes? All the online reviews I saw were pretty glowing, and they said they'd service my little 08 ex250j.

I think I'm going to get some new tires, even though my current ones are not entirely worn out. Going to have them check out stuff like valves or whatever else I'm missing.

They're right down the street from my apt. Locally / family owned shop. Very cool guys. Really good service.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I took people's advice in this forum and went ahead and bought a CB350 repair manual. I'm going to try to get the bike running again myself.

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/cb350.html

To Do List:

- Get bike running
- Fix starter
- Replace headlight with something that actually illuminates the road

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

soy posted:

Personally, if you've got the time you'd save quite a bit of money to check the valves yourself, probably enough to pay for the tires. As far as tires go, I say gently caress'em and pay for people to mount them because that poo poo is just a PITA.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blugu64 posted:

Personally, if you've got the time you'd save quite a bit of money to check the valves yourself, probably enough to pay for the tires. As far as tires go, I say gently caress'em and pay for people to mount them because that poo poo is just a PITA.

I'm mechanically retarded, and I want it done right. I don't have the time, and there's various other stuff I want checked out/done.. Considering the deal I got on the bike I'm fine with spending a fair amount to get it tuned all properly.

I'll learn to do the maintenance stuff from my brother in law in a few weeks, once we get our little workshop put together (he rides bikes too, and is a good mechanic)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

soy posted:

I'm mechanically retarded, and I want it done right. I don't have the time, and there's various other stuff I want checked out/done.. Considering the deal I got on the bike I'm fine with spending a fair amount to get it tuned all properly.

I'll learn to do the maintenance stuff from my brother in law in a few weeks, once we get our little workshop put together (he rides bikes too, and is a good mechanic)

I was going to say...I'm happy to look over the bike for you, considering you're somewhat local, but it looks like you've got it covered :)

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
:argh: Broken-bolt extractor troubles

Are the bolts on a Triumph just insanely hard to remove with a broken-screw extractor, or am I doing it wrong?

The bolt that holds the little kicker piece on my shifter sheared off in a fall. So I whip out a hand drill and some basic black-oxide drill bits and try to drill a starter hole for my broken-screw extractor. Tons of armwork later, just a small divot.

I go get a 12 lithium cordless drill and try again, no dice. I figure then the bits just aren't tough enough, so I go get a proper-size cobalt metal-drilling bit. Still making almost no progress even with the torque turned up, tried high and low speeds, etc.

Yes, I've got the drill-bit turning clockwise, and when I try to use the screw extractor I turn it counter-clockwise (it's reverse threaded). What am I doing wrong preventing me from boring a nice deep priming hole into the bolt and then driving the extractor into it? Even with a good hammer stroke, I can't reliably get the extractor to dig into a divot that shallow.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 20, 2010

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

and when I try to use the screw extractor I turn it clockwise (it's reverse threaded).

turn it anticlockwise

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

echomadman posted:

turn it anticlockwise

My bust, I meant counter-clockwise since it's reverse-threaded. I can get it to sort of stick in, but then the right-angle-grip starts to slip on it and it comes out.

In any case, the fundamental problem is: is a 12v lithium hand-drill and a cobalt bit simply not enough to tunnel into a Triumph shifter bolt enough to extract it, or am I doing something wrong?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Isn't it clockwise to remove something that is reverse threaded? Righty-loosey?

EDIT:
Ah. gotcha.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 20, 2010

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Uthor posted:

Isn't it clockwise to remove something that is reverse threaded? Righty-loosey?

no he means that the extractor itself is reverse threaded so that it pulls out the bolt

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I already ordered a repair manual for my cb350, however, I thought I'd ask this question here anyway:

My blinkers do not blink. When I turn one on, it just stays on like a headlight. What could be causing this, and how do I fix it?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

M.C. McMic posted:

I already ordered a repair manual for my cb350, however, I thought I'd ask this question here anyway:

My blinkers do not blink. When I turn one on, it just stays on like a headlight. What could be causing this, and how do I fix it?

Most likely one of the lamps are shot or the connectors are really corroded. Does the rear one light up too? Most old relays will only work when both lamps are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Ola posted:

Most likely one of the lamps are shot or the connectors are really corroded. Does the rear one light up too? Most old relays will only work when both lamps are good.

Yeah, all the lights work. They just don't blink. I've actually been sitting at intersections doing it manually with my thumb. Haha.