Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
My morale is just gone, I've almost completely given up interest in the manga after years of reading. Maybe I'll come back in a little while and things will be looking better. Since all of this is a free read, I can't really complain too much, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

If this is what a monekyboy can do I wonder what will happen to Ippo when he runs into an American backed by AMERICAN TECHNOLOGY AND TRAINING. I'm trying to figure out what gimmicks he can run into in the pacific still though.

ATOM BOMB PUNCH :black101: LEFT HOOK IS LITTLE BOY. RIGHT STRAIGHT IS FAT MAN.

I have a gut feeling that something will happen or get hinted at next week. But Gut's a drat moron.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The most obvious opponent is another hard puncher who uses the dempsey roll. Naturally, Ippo would gently caress up at some point, take it full on and then keep fighting til he wins. Alternately, he could fight a series of lame gimmick opponents who are all described as geniuses while remaining at roughly the same skill level.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Geop posted:

SMALL CONCISE MOVEMENTS

Not working. What am I doing wrong? :confused:

SMALLER CONCISE MOVEMENTS

Still nothing.

SMALLER CONCISER MOVEMENTS

gently caress it, Samurai Spirit Mode time.

SMALLER MOVEMENTS. THINK LIKE A STONE.

I AM A STONE. NEVER MOVING.

NEVER THINKING.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Infinitum posted:

SMALLER MOVEMENTS. THINK LIKE A STONE.

I AM A STONE. NEVER MOVING.

NEVER THINKING.

HE CAN GO AHEAD AND CHISEL MY ROCK. AND I'LL SKIN HIS KNEE.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
SMALLER, LIKE GRAVEL, OR EVEN SAND, GET INTO HIS CROTCH; Miyata-kun

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I've read this story for a long time without ever commenting, but this fight really blows. This is so far removed from boxing, you might as well just have Ippo throw a fireball or something.

From Ippo's Homer Simpson approach, to the fact that Woli can just completely win on points with his monkeyman dodge everything style. I think I'm done with this manga for awhile as well.

VV We should be so lucky.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 20, 2010

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Your AV looks like Ippo after the brain damage cripples him.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Your AV looks like Ippo after the brain damage cripples him.

Was thinking the exact same thing :psyduck:

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
So, I decided to try and read the latest chapter and I couldn't even make it through it was so painful.

I got to this page: http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/880/04/

My response: "God loving Damnit"

Then I closed the tab. gently caress this. I don't even want to know what happens next unless it involves something ridiculous like Ippo uses haki or hadoukens, or Ippo turning into a hollow or Ippo's arms being filled with magical ninja eyeballs.

That's right I said it. I'm not reading this again until he gets a retarded shonen powerup that makes no sense. gently caress.

EDIT: I just clicked the next page thinking that maybe I was being too harsh. God loving damnit.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I only finished getting up to date with Ippo a few weeks ago so I am still in the newbie hype phase but even I recognize how loving poo poo this fight is. I hope Ippo just knocks him out Takamura style in one punch as soon as possible, because this fight is about 10 chapters too long already. One thing that has been getting on my nerves for a while now is that Ippo STILL doesn't seem to realize how good he supposedly is and has no confidence in himself.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'll save you the trouble of reading 881 when it gets translated.

It's 8 pages of Woli doing this:

And Ippo doing this:

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 20, 2010

Lil Jon Galt
May 22, 2002

IS A MAN NOT ENTITLED TO THE SWEAT DROP DOWN MY BALLS?
honestly the only thing keeping me reading this fight are the outraged comments from the thread, keep up the good work because this manga gets horrifically more awful with each passing chapter. I want it to be good I really do :( Where did it all go so wrong??

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

It's not too late. Let's all move over to Grappler Baki and Baki: Son of Ogre.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I gladly would if someone was scanlating them. :(

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

personally I want to see more poo poo jokes and Takamura naked. Takamura throws his own poo poo at Woli, knocking him out. The ref doesn't see. Some gets on Aoki's head. Ippo's new poo poo UPPER takes the boxing world by storm. He's ready to take on the world.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
The art's gotten a million times worse also

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Uh what? The art should be the least of your worries.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.
:ughh: vs. :negative:

Which is more applicable to this latest turn of events in the Ippo universe?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

tazman posted:

It's true though, the art peaked around chapter 500. Sawamura vs Ippo and Eagle vs Takamura looked fantastic, felt like the artist had hit his stride. Today it looks much more unnatural, and the little chicken legs make no sense.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Jedah posted:

It's true though, the art peaked around chapter 500. Sawamura vs Ippo and Eagle vs Takamura looked fantastic, felt like the artist had hit his stride. Today it looks much more unnatural, and the little chicken legs make no sense.

It's gotten sort of weird and stylized, which isn't a bad thing, but more often than not everything looks a bit more basic and less detailed, like the individual panels aren't as fleshed out as they could be

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I think we'll see Ippo attempt to do a double-cancel Dempsey where he rolls left, cancels to center, :smug: starts dodging, cancels into EX SHORYUUk who the gently caress am I kidding

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
So I downloaded that new chapter that's in japanese because who the gently caress cares about storyline anymore I just want to see Ippo hit that smug gently caress. Does Hajime no Ippo translate into disgusting failure or something? Maybe he's been hinting at this the entire time.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I'm reading this from the start right now, up to like 50-ish, and out of curiosity I checked out the latest chapter from all the groaning in the past page.

Jesus, the art is just... so stylized but empty. The main thing I love about the series so far has been the motion and how awesomely the artist conveys the fights, but reading the first few pages to 880 makes me feel disappointed.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a good cutoff point? I'm hoping the greatness lasts until the 700s so that I can ration the good parts forever.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Chinaman7000 posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation of a good cutoff point? I'm hoping the greatness lasts until the 700s so that I can ration the good parts forever.

chapter 720. it's all downhill from there

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

tazman posted:

It's why the word 'also' is there

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

MizuZero posted:

chapter 720. it's all downhill from there

Scratch J was a pretty awesome fight and showed off the Revised Dempsey Roll.

AFTER Scratch J is when it goes downhill.
Malcom Gedo was a terrible fight.
Woli is an abomination. It literally makes you hate 20 YEARS worth of Ippo.

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine

ilifin posted:

I think we'll see Ippo attempt to do a double-cancel Dempsey where he rolls left, cancels to center, :smug: starts dodging, cancels into EX SHORYUUk who the gently caress am I kidding

Under the ring, a shark waits patiently.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Infinitum posted:

At least the latter half of the Gedo fight was decent (when he took off the kid gloves and got serious). Can't see Woli going anywhere, unless Ippo loving rips his head off in an awesome move. Seriously, Mori had better got a kickass KO in mind to even remotely redeem himself on this.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I finally figured out how Ippo will beat Woli! Every single opponent Ippo has ever had including Miyata will all enter the ring at the same time and gang up on Woli. After 14 grueling hours Woli will then get bored and concede.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Geop posted:

Seriously, Mori had better got a kickass KO in mind to even remotely redeem himself on this.

Unless Ippo crushes Woli's skull I can't think of any KO that would redeem this fight. I can't believe Mori thinks that watching Ippo imitate a punching bag is building dramatic tension.

And on that note, I'm learning to categorize people based on their nationality. Indonesian has a lot of jungles so Woli is some crazy monkey boy. Ippo on the other hand is Japanese, so that means people from Japan are good at getting the poo poo kicked out of them. See, I can be a racist jerk too.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 22, 2010

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Infinitum posted:

yeah but if that guy doesn't read past 720 he can always imagine the perfect Miyata fight and a proper end to the series before "IT WON'T HAPPEN" and everyone except Itagaki going all super saiyan

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Geop posted:

At least the latter half of the Gedo fight was decent (when he took off the kid gloves and got serious). Can't see Woli going anywhere, unless Ippo loving rips his head off in an awesome move. Seriously, Mori had better got a kickass KO in mind to even remotely redeem himself on this.

It really wasn't. The gedo fight was poo poo and the "oh I'ma be serious now this guys a BOXER" poo poo was old before it started.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MizuZero posted:

yeah but if that guy doesn't read past 720 he can always imagine the perfect Miyata fight and a proper end to the series before "IT WON'T HAPPEN" and everyone except Itagaki going all super saiyan

Wait, everyone except Itagaki? Itagaki is the only who flat out has supernatural powers, so if anyone has been given a weird unnatural powerup it's him.

ilifin posted:

A stupid thing I could actually see happening is Ippo somehow stopping his Dempsey roll so abruptly that it creates a shock-wave that knocks the opponent down. :(

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 22, 2010

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
As far as i'm concerned, the only thing, ONLY THING that can redeem this fight is the unveiling of the new dempsey roll. Complete with a flashback to Ippo secretely working on it and they have to ham it the gently caress up. I wanna see the announcer shout "LIKE A PHOENIX RISING FROM THE ASHES. THIS IS NO LONGER THE DEMPSEY ROLL, THIS IS THE IPPOOOOO ROLLLLLL"

Icing on the cake will be permanently destroying Woli's boxing career.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

tazman posted:

Icing on the cake will be permanently destroying Woli's boxing career.
Judging by the latest chapter he intends to be a raptor. He will evolve into the Raptor Roll where he uses his scratching boxing claws in a 8-shaped motion to peel off the opponent's skin.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

It really wasn't. The gedo fight was poo poo and the "oh I'ma be serious now this guys a BOXER" poo poo was old before it started.

I'm referring to when Gedo stopped using the trick moves :v: Where the fight actually started. Or were you referring to that?

I just thought it got decent there. Not saying it was awesome :(

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Geop posted:

I'm referring to when Gedo stopped using the trick moves :v: Where the fight actually started. Or were you referring to that?

I just thought it got decent there. Not saying it was awesome :(

It went from utter poo poo to the bare minimum for a loving BOXING MANGA. The fact that anyone is able to gently caress around for a couple rounds and not get destroyed for it on the worst gimmick in the series can't be redeemed by hunkering down and fighting like an actual athlete.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, everyone except Itagaki? Itagaki is the only who flat out has supernatural powers, so if anyone has been given a weird unnatural powerup it's him.

yeah but he's the only one to develop them before that cutoff point. The Miyata and Woli ridiculousness is yet to happen. If you want to stop reading Ippo with a positive experience it's before Scratch J (despite it being a pretty good fight) because between the main Ippo fights of Gedo and Woli, Miyata's powerup, and everyone else at the gym besides Itagaki becoming complete jokes in the ring, reading new chapters is pretty much only for masochists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This thread is now powered by hatred, and as such is much stronger than it used to be.