Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
At least it's not cat pee. Trust me on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Frith leaves another kind of wet spot: he keeps licking at the sheets until there is a large damp spot sometimes as big as he is. I have no idea why he does this.

He still won't groom (lick) me though :( He loves my sheets more than he loves me. *sob*

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
I wonder why they're doing that. Mine don't pee anywhere except in the box...you've ruled out vet issues right?

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

angelicism posted:

Frith leaves another kind of wet spot: he keeps licking at the sheets until there is a large damp spot sometimes as big as he is. I have no idea why he does this.

He still won't groom (lick) me though :( He loves my sheets more than he loves me. *sob*

Godewyn does this too. Last night I had to keep avoiding putting my leg where he left a giant wet spot on the comforter.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Bunway Airlines posted:

I wonder why they're doing that. Mine don't pee anywhere except in the box...you've ruled out vet issues right?

Yep, they both got checked up a couple months ago and the only issue is they're a liiiiiiiiiiittle bit roly poly so we're trying to work on that.

Right up until Frith gives me his super adorable but-I-am-so-hungry-I-will-eat-food-out-of-your-hands face.

Zen used to be perfectly litter trained, but since Frith came she got really bad for a while, and she's been semi-improving. I think I'm going to get another litter box for my room -- possibly she just smells Frith all over it and isn't fond of going there then. Although I imagine Frith will scent up a second box too.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

I finally talked my mom into getting her rabbit a new cage. He has a pretty small cage that he's in overnight, but he gets the run of the [bunny-proofed] first floor the rest of the time. I found this site on the House Rabbit Society's Products link page. Everything looks good (I know that C&C cages are popular in PI), but I'm not sure where to even start with the sets they have listed. Any suggestions?

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Skutter posted:

I finally talked my mom into getting her rabbit a new cage. He has a pretty small cage that he's in overnight, but he gets the run of the [bunny-proofed] first floor the rest of the time. I found this site on the House Rabbit Society's Products link page. Everything looks good (I know that C&C cages are popular in PI), but I'm not sure where to even start with the sets they have listed. Any suggestions?

That's a good deal on the corrugated flooring, but for the rest of the cage, Target sells 2 cube by 6 cube storage systems that are unassembled for like 15 each. They come with 23 grids. They aren't on the website but they have them in the store. I bought 2 sets and built a massive cage for Marmalade and he loves it!

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

majour333 posted:

That's a good deal on the corrugated flooring, but for the rest of the cage, Target sells 2 cube by 6 cube storage systems that are unassembled for like 15 each. They come with 23 grids. They aren't on the website but they have them in the store. I bought 2 sets and built a massive cage for Marmalade and he loves it!

Except the Target sets now have the wrong number of holes, meaning that some rabbits can get their heads through.

However, it's my understanding that Walmart.com (online only, NOT in stores) still sells the correct grids: clicky. It's 16 for $20 as opposed to 18 for $26 at the other place.

Skutter, the number of grids you need depends on what size cage your mom is willing to build. An open-top, 2-high, 2-grid-by-3 grid is adequate for a single rabbit, especially if he's only in there overnight, and that takes 20 grids. If you wanted to go for just one of the smaller packs sold above, you could fill out the missing space with a 4' length of closetmaid shelving (16" superslide) (these are also perfect to make an easy-to-remove lid). You can attach it on the lower level of the long side so the whole thing swings up making a nice big door. Otherwise, get 2 kits and go bigger!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

DS at Night posted:

My rabbit's a perfect angel who never pees anywhere.

... although he does love to try and eat the sheets.

Mine too. But good god does he like to nip holes in blankets

angelicism posted:

And this happens to me too, except my bunny likes to lick the couch. I have a short video of it somewhere...

Levitate fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 19, 2010

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

angelicism posted:

Yep, they both got checked up a couple months ago and the only issue is they're a liiiiiiiiiiittle bit roly poly so we're trying to work on that.

Right up until Frith gives me his super adorable but-I-am-so-hungry-I-will-eat-food-out-of-your-hands face.

Zen used to be perfectly litter trained, but since Frith came she got really bad for a while, and she's been semi-improving. I think I'm going to get another litter box for my room -- possibly she just smells Frith all over it and isn't fond of going there then. Although I imagine Frith will scent up a second box too.

Yeah I bet it's a scent thing. You've been trying with them for so long and they're not fully bonded yet. I find that female buns are bad when it comes to peeing outside the box; mines obviously spayed but I wonder if it's a nesting thing. Portia does occasionally go right outside the box but it's small amounts not a full stream.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

I feel so bad giving my buns different treatment. :( Like, now Frith is allowed on my bed but Zen is not, and when I have them both in my room, Zen is very well aware of this. Also Frith is way cuddlier than Zen is so he'll come up and try to make out with me and I'll pat him but Zen will come up and attempt to chew on my foot so I'll nudge her away and she still doesn't like coming up to me when Frith is near me so she always stays away so it looks like I'm not paying attention to her and I'm afraid she's going to develop a complex where she thinks mommy loves her less. ;_;

Silly bunnies, why can't they see reason!

(p.s. I am never having children. I'm pretty sure I've made it clear why.)

Adenine
Mar 5, 2008
Does anyone know any good vets around London Ontario Canada specializing in rodents/small animals with modest prices?

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

alucinor posted:

Except the Target sets now have the wrong number of holes, meaning that some rabbits can get their heads through.

Oh no! I didn't even think of the fact that he can get his head through could be a problem! I've gotta fix that. Thanks for the heads-up.

Green Canary
Oct 6, 2005

Adenine posted:

Does anyone know any good vets around London Ontario Canada specializing in rodents/small animals with modest prices?

I posted a good vet in London in the thread you started. The prices have always been decent with my cat, but I don't know of any super cheap vets.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Anyone got experience with introducing cats and rabbits? We were just given a kitten and want them to get along if possible.

So far the only interaction has been a couple of face to face meetings with the rabbit in his (roomy, plenty of space to back into) cage and the cat on the floor outside of it, with a water bottle nearby to squirt kitty if it tries batting the rabbit.

Went about as well as can be expected; they sniffed each other's noses through the cage a number of times, the rabbit scampered around a few times when startled, the cat tried reaching into the cage tentatively once (and got water for it) but mostly just crouched/lay down and looked.

Just trying to figure out the best speed at which to go; we're keeping the cat locked in another room for most of the time but it's quite a pain to keep him from getting out frequently and running over to see the rabbit :shobon:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I have experience but it's not terribly good experience :\

If the kitten is still really young then hopefully it will get the idea that the bunny isn't something to play with and chase, especially if the rabbit charges it a couple of times.

I just haven't had a lot of luck getting our cat to stop being a dick and finding ways to make the bunny run so that it can chase after. At this point I usually let them out separately, and if they're both out, I hang out on the floor so I can referee and spend most of my time petting the bunny

It would probably also work better if the only time I could let them both out wasn't in the evening when the cat is hyper, or if we got off our asses and played with the cat more first to tire her out.

Ah well...I think the key is introducing them young and just kind of do it slowly, but you'll probably need to eventually have a situation where the rabbit establishes some boundaries with the cat. My bunny is a tough little bastard and doesn't seem to have that "scared to death" thing to worry about, but you might want to go real slow to make sure yours doesn't get scared too fast

edit: I used a water bottle too for awhile but it eventually stopped being very effective, so just keep that in mind.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
I've introduced Bowser to 4 different cats- one 5-week old kitten, one 10-week old kitten, one 9-month old kitty, and one 2-year old cat.

All of the introductions went well, for the most part. To be fair, though, Bowser is a pretty fearless rabbit, and she's just as big as an adult cat.

The 9-month old (Emaline) was the first to be introduced, and she reacted pretty well. Tentative at first, then some playful chasing, then harmony. Now they don't pay much attention to eachother. Bowser would probably like to snuggle with Emaline, but Emaline has absolutely no interest in that. She gets a little jealous when we snuggle Bowser and she'll occasionally groom Bowser's face, but that's about it.

The 2-year old was an abandoned cat we found on the side of the road. She had clearly been raised around other animals as she had no problems with our other cat and showed no interest in Bowser whatsoever. We only fostered her for a couple of months.

The 10-week old was next. She wanted attention from every furry thing she could find, so she was very friendly and submissive with Bowser. Bowser now likes to hump her occasionally.

The 5-week old (Wally) was absolutely terrified of Bowser. Rabbits move in such a herky jerky way that it seems to really scare the poo poo out of some kittens, particularly when the rabbit is 5 times their size. Bowser tried again and again to sniff Wally and be friendly, but Wally would bolt as soon as Bowser came near. This continues, though less severely, to this day. Wally is now 4 years old and Bowser seems to rather enjoy chasing her out of the room from time to time.

All 3 of my cats and Bowser spend most of the day out alone together. Though the cats fight with eachother, Bowser has never gotten so much as a scratch. She's at least 10 years old now.

In all of these introductions, we basically would go to a neutral area in the house with my boyfriend holding one animal and me holding the other, then sort of letting them come to eachother slowly. Again, Bowser is a bit of a special case. She also reacted VERY well when we introduced her to 2 baby foster bunnies last year, which is crazy. I suppose if a rabbit is acting fearful, it may spark the prey drive further in cats, but none of the cats we've had have ever shown much interest in Bowser as a plaything.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I mentioned this before but a repeat wouldn't be amiss here: my cousin's rabbit died from fright when her cat walked into the room. They'd known each other since they were babies but the rabbit just wasn't expecting the cat there and that was that.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Melicious posted:

I suppose if a rabbit is acting fearful, it may spark the prey drive further in cats, but none of the cats we've had have ever shown much interest in Bowser as a plaything.

This is what is annoying to me...our cat will actively try to stir up trouble even if the rabbit is doing nothing or isn't responsive to her stunts. When he's in his litter box eating hay, the cat can do pretty much whatever and the rabbit doesn't flinch, and it really throws the cat off. But ultimately I just can't find a reliable way to make her stop trying to cause trouble. The rabbit doesn't seem to care other than not being too happy when the cat tries to chase him, but it's still worrysome enough for me that I just have to keep a close eye on them while they're out.

I'm seriously considering getting one of those "air cannon" things that makes a big puff of air, and using that to discourage the cat because that would probably break things up a lot better than a water bottle does these days

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Thanks for the replies. Some background details:

The rabbit is full grown but not a large rabbit, I'd say he and the kitten are about the same size, rabbit having a bit more bulk if anything.

Kitten is ~10 weeks old and has lived in a couple households before ours, the most recent/longest one had a number of cats/kittens/dogs/people. He is pretty chill as kittens go (esp. compared to his siblings) but does do kitten-play with toys occasionally.

Rabbit has never lived long term with other animals but did spend a week and a half a few years ago staying over at an apartment that had two juvenile cats, who he apparently got along with fine (albeit without any non-cage-separated contact.) He is also chill with occasional "leave me alone" grunts when we invade his personal space but that's it.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Juniper passed away violently yesterday morning in my arms from unknown causes. I opted to have our rabbit vet perform a necropsy on him and it is inconclusive at this point. They are going to perform several cultures and also send his tissues to be analyzed.

It all started with him having a very slight head tilt the day before. He kept the head tilt and I made a vet appointment for the next morning. He died half an hour before the clinic opened. His symptoms basically progressed from light head tilt to rapid heavy breathing, drooling copious amounts of orange tinted drool, severe head tilt, to ultimately "coughing" blood and then dying.

I am crushed to say the least. He will be missed more than I can describe and was one of the most amazing animals I have ever had the privilege to know.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Pardalis posted:

Juniper passed away violently yesterday morning in my arms from unknown causes. I opted to have our rabbit vet perform a necropsy on him and it is inconclusive at this point. They are going to perform several cultures and also send his tissues to be analyzed.

It all started with him having a very slight head tilt the day before. He kept the head tilt and I made a vet appointment for the next morning. He died half an hour before the clinic opened. His symptoms basically progressed from light head tilt to rapid heavy breathing, drooling copious amounts of orange tinted drool, severe head tilt, to ultimately "coughing" blood and then dying.

I am crushed to say the least. He will be missed more than I can describe and was one of the most amazing animals I have ever had the privilege to know.

gently caress. Goondolences :(

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
I'm so sorry to hear that. What a lovely bun he was, and lucky you found him.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
I'm sorry for your loss :(

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
How terrible, I'm so sorry. I was a big fan of his cute face :(

Let us know if you get any updates :ohdear:

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
I am so sorry for your loss :(

deathlee
Mar 4, 2002

no anxiety about his chemical dependencies
Our rabbit also loves to pee on our bed, we have to wash our sheets at least once a week. She has free reign of our room and if I leave for a minute to get a glass of water she will immediately jump up on our bed and pee on it. She knows it's wrong though, because if I come back before she actually pees she will dive off the bed and go pee in her litter box.

This may have been discussed in the thread previously, and I have been keeping up with the thread since it started but I can't remember if or where it's been talked about;
Is there a goon approved product to keep your bunnies from chewing on wires? I have all the computer wires under the desk boarded off so she can't get access to them, but we can't hide our cell phone chargers. My fiance and I just bought our 3rd set of cellphone chargers in a year after doing 10+ wire repairs on the old ones from bunny biting them in half.

deathlee fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 22, 2010

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

deathlee posted:

Is there a goon approved product to keep your bunnies from chewing on wires?

Spiral cable wrap. Any Radio Shack and most hardware stores carry it. It needs to be at least 3/8" diameter after wrapping, preferably larger; any smaller and determined buns will still find it attractive. I use the 3/4" wrap and have never had any trouble.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Sorry I've used both spiral wrap and conduit tubing (the black ridged kind) and our bunnies chew the poo poo out of it, albeit slower. It is good for at least giving you a heads up before they get to the wire, so it does save on cost that way.

The best thing I can advise is to minimize the wires they have contact to. It takes a bit of work but at least for us, our living room has only one wire to a lamp we can't bring off the floor, so we re-wrap it every month or so when it gets too chewed on.

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me

Pardalis posted:

Oh, Pardalis, I'm so sorry to hear that :( . Flemmies are amazing and Juniper looked like a great rabbit. I was right there with my Flemish when she passed, too...totally heartbreaking to see, but I'm so thankful that I was able to be there with her in those final moments. I'm sure Juniper appreciated your presence during all that. I hope you get the answers you're seeking.

:sympathy:

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
So question for you guys. I live in a three story townhouse and Ender and Portia have access to the first two levels during the day but only the bottom level at night (the kitchen). I can't let them be free at night all over the house because they either a. eat all my books b. eat the carpet or c. eat drapes and this is a rental so they have to be isolated downstairs at night. I keep the heat on at 67 during the day and I turn it off at night, but the vent in the kitchen hardly works so the upstairs is much warmer than the downstairs. My room apparently gets 80% of the heat in the house so overall the heating system is very inefficient.

Ender has a very soft but light coat, he doesn't have a coat like Portia's and he's just smaller and lighter. I know this sounds crazy, but I think he's cold at night. During the day he's always in my room which is the warmest in the house snuggling with Portia or with me. His ears are very cold to the touch in the morning when I go downstairs and that makes me think he's cold. Obviously, he's a bunny and is capable of living in the snow so I might just be crazy here but Portia's ears are nice and warm to the touch and she is a lot more active than he is. He's had a few very minor "colic" (I forget the exact term) episodes in the past and I know it's important to keep them warm if that's an issue.

Am I just a crazy person? If not, what can I do to warm him up? I really don't want to get a space heater because they're terribly energy inefficient (I had one in college and my electric bills doubled in that one month I had it on). What about a dog bed or a nest of sorts? Maybe a hot watter bottle underneath? Ender's no spring chick anymore so I'd like to keep him comfortable.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Bunway Airlines posted:

If not, what can I do to warm him up?

67 is pretty generous - I think I keep my bun room around 60 - but I also think that old buns, like old people, have a little more trouble thermoregulating, so you're not crazy to provide more heat if you think it will maximize his comfort. Start with a dog bed or nest box (lidded rubbermaid tote with a door cut in, filled with hay, bedding, or towels), that may be enough. If you still feel he needs more warmth, I successfully use heating pads under my hospital pens (VERY carefully constructed so that they can't get to the cords), so you could add that under the nest box. Many people dislike using heating pads and instead recommend ceramic basking bulbs like are used for reptiles - again, just be sure it's enclosed by grids so he can't get to it. A nice design that I saw was a 1x1x2 cube grid - the basking bulb was completely enclosed in one cube; the other cube had one side left open as a doorway. The whole thing was wrapped in a blanket with a slit over the doorway, so the bun could get in and lay against the grid by the heat lamp without actually touching it.

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me

Bunway Airlines posted:

So question for you guys. I live in a three story townhouse and Ender and Portia have access to the first two levels during the day but only the bottom level at night (the kitchen). I can't let them be free at night all over the house because they either a. eat all my books b. eat the carpet or c. eat drapes and this is a rental so they have to be isolated downstairs at night. I keep the heat on at 67 during the day and I turn it off at night, but the vent in the kitchen hardly works so the upstairs is much warmer than the downstairs. My room apparently gets 80% of the heat in the house so overall the heating system is very inefficient.

Ender has a very soft but light coat, he doesn't have a coat like Portia's and he's just smaller and lighter. I know this sounds crazy, but I think he's cold at night. During the day he's always in my room which is the warmest in the house snuggling with Portia or with me. His ears are very cold to the touch in the morning when I go downstairs and that makes me think he's cold. Obviously, he's a bunny and is capable of living in the snow so I might just be crazy here but Portia's ears are nice and warm to the touch and she is a lot more active than he is. He's had a few very minor "colic" (I forget the exact term) episodes in the past and I know it's important to keep them warm if that's an issue.

Am I just a crazy person? If not, what can I do to warm him up? I really don't want to get a space heater because they're terribly energy inefficient (I had one in college and my electric bills doubled in that one month I had it on). What about a dog bed or a nest of sorts? Maybe a hot watter bottle underneath? Ender's no spring chick anymore so I'd like to keep him comfortable.

What about SnuggleSafe? They're these 8-inch or so disks that you put in the microwave (and then put a fabric cover on (they get pretty hot though, so I would add a fleece blanket on top)). They're made for animals and they're safe. My vet sold some to me when Dinah had a major gas problem and I liked them a lot. If I recall correctly, they stayed warm through the night.

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Supply-Imports-SnuggleSafe-Heating/dp/B00008AJH9

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
I like the look of that snuggle safe, I might pick one of those up.

They already have a box which functions as their litter box but is set up in the way you suggested alucinor. They only hang out in there to eat and go to the bathroom and then come out. They usually sleep up on my dining room chairs at night which are padded.

Ender's also only 4.5 years old but I've had him since he was 8 months and while he's certainly still energetic and eats well, I notice him becoming a bit more of a grumpy middle aged bun :3: So, he's not old by any stretch but this past 6 months is the first time I've ever seen his age catch up to him.

Jhael
Apr 8, 2005
Snap.
Hey everyone! At the beginning of the month I got a 9 week old Netherland Dwarf; her name is Pica. :3

I got her home from the breeder and she got REALLY sick really fast. She had loads of diarrhea, wouldn't eat, wouldn't move, went into GI stasis, and didn't look like she was going to make it. A visit to the vet revealed the stress of moving to a new home took a hit to her immune system and she had a huge influx of bacteria in her intestines. She was on antibiotics for 2 weeks (which was a BITCH, thank god for bunny burritos). Fortunately, she is now doing AMAZINGLY, and is the sweetest bunny I've ever had - she's super playful, loves people. She'll crawl up on my lap when I'm studying and just cuddle for hours, it's amazing. I just wanted to share my happy-ending story - most of the GI stasis stories I had read online didn't end so fortunately. :(

The only thing I'm sort of worried about is that she doesn't always eat her cecotropes.. I assume this is a bit of a remaining hangup from her being so sick. Like other people with this problem have mentioned here, she still has tons of energy and seems fine otherwise. Is this something to be terribly worried about? Is there any food I could give her to offset any nutritional deficiencies she may encounter from not eating the cecal pellets?

Of course, here are obligatory cute pictures.

She loves looking at herself in the mirror, it's weird.

Jhael fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 28, 2010

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

I have zero interest in marriage.
I just wanted to drop in and say I've read every post in this thread. It's my favorite thread on SA.

Unfortunately I can't get a bunny because my lease says no pets. :(

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Neu posted:

I just wanted to drop in and say I've read every post in this thread. It's my favorite thread on SA.

Unfortunately I can't get a bunny because my lease says no pets. :(

Does it say no pets specifically or no cats/dogs? We (justFaye and I) get around paying a pet deposit because of this technicality, if only they knew...:hehe:

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

Jhael posted:

Of course, here are obligatory cute pictures.

She loves looking at herself in the mirror, it's weird.

Sorry I don't have any advice but I just wanted to say your pictures are adorable! Pixel loves her mirror too, she thinks it's another bun and tries her hardest to out-flop and out-binky the mirrorbun :)

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Does it say no pets specifically or no cats/dogs? We (justFaye and I) get around paying a pet deposit because of this technicality, if only they knew...:hehe:

Technically (in the majority of apartment complexes) rabbits fall under the "caged pets" category, so if you can have caged animals, you can have a bunny. It never asks how long the rabbit actually stays in the cage ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Jhael posted:

Hey everyone! At the beginning of the month I got a 9 week old Netherland Dwarf; her name is Pica. :3

OMG! :swoon:

Netherland dwarves are the cutest breed ever.

EDIT: The Netherlands: Really tall people, really small bunnies.