Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

Was that on the 33?

Yup. Nice stretch of road, completely deserted except for bikers a lot of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Yup. Nice stretch of road, completely deserted except for bikers a lot of the time.

Thought so. That entire back part of it is flat and incredibly deserted. Gotta get out that way again...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

Who's had a 929RR?

Found one with 1500 miles on it, 2000 model year, in storage. Going to call and see what color it is at lunch.

Good news: It looks fine.
Bad news: It's at a dealer and I'll have to pay tax and all that other bullshit since they have to do it by the book. Tires are probably dogshit too.

Oh well, it's only $4,000, I'm going to see if I can get it tonight.

And the wheels are :whatup:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bob Morales posted:

Good news: It looks fine.
Bad news: It's at a dealer and I'll have to pay tax and all that other bullshit since they have to do it by the book. Tires are probably dogshit too.

Oh well, it's only $4,000, I'm going to see if I can get it tonight.

You can negotiate with the dealer. Say "I want to pay $4000 out the door or I walk."

You have to be ready to walk if they don't deal though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Bike looks like it's been crashed, because that's not how the tank should look. , and 4k is definitely on the high side of things. I suppose if they have all the maintenance records and crap, but even still, it's high...why is the tank black and not yellow like it should be?

See if you can talk them down to 3k.

For reference: I paid 3900$ 2 years ago for mine, with 36k on it, and a bunch of nice mods, exhaust, wave rotors, PC3, and some other odds and ends. It looked absolutely showroom, you would never believe it had over 10k on it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Doctor Zero posted:

You can negotiate with the dealer. Say "I want to pay $4000 out the door or I walk."

You have to be ready to walk if they don't deal though.

It's on CL for $4,000. The guy I talked to on the phone thinks someone may have put an offer in for $4,900 or something. We'll see.

I can get my old 2005 636 for $4500 so....

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

It's on CL for $4,000. The guy I talked to on the phone thinks someone may have put an offer in for $4,900 or something. We'll see.

No one put in an offer for 4900$ on that bike, and if they did, a fool and their money and all that.

Don't buy it, offer significantly less and walk if they don't take it. Give them a card with your number on it. They'll call in the next few days, business is poo poo right now. 4k + tax/license/dealer fee bullshit is all bullshit. I can just about promise that they paid 2k or less for that bike.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It has 1,560 miles on it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

It has 1,560 miles on it.

Doesn't matter, it's 10 years old. That's more of a downside than anything else at this point. Under 150 miles a year? How often was the oil changed? The fork seals are probably toast, the bike may have never been really broken in as a result, and it was crashed or damaged somehow, otherwise the tank would be the correct color.

That engine will go hundreds of thousands of miles. It's built like a tank. 1500 miles isn't a selling point in my book.

I just dealt with one out here...it's a long story, but it's essentially the same bike, except a year newer, with 2000 miles on it, and in good shape, minus the bling wheels...It's not selling at 3500$. And it doesn't have a mismatched tank. It's a 10 year old not literbike, it's not worth 4k + fees. KBB dealer is 4k in excellent condition, and this one's not in excellent condition. Trade in is 2700$. I wouldn't go too deep into the 3s for it.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 22, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bob Morales posted:

Whoever you spoke to is lying through his teeth.

Nobody "puts offers" on vehicles that are above asking price unless it's some really limited production run thing like a Viper or something.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bob Morales posted:

Hope you're good at cleaning wheels. You're going to be doing it every-loving-day.

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009

Doctor Zero posted:

Since he has no useful information whatsoever, you'll need to ask him everything. We had a biek wiki that had the common used bike questions, but I've lost track of it. maybe somebody else has it still?

Yea the wiki is down so I don't know what to ask, anyone help me out?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nucka posted:

Yea the wiki is down so I don't know what to ask, anyone help me out?

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

Site is almost too exhaustive, but if you read through that it covers literally everything. If you can retain half of it, enough to ask intelligent questions, you'll be off to a good start.

Also, get a friend, ideally one who's a bit of a gearhead, to look it over with you. Nothing like a good second opinion to sort things out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Somewhere around March/April of last year I made a post where a local 2002-ish GSXR 1000 was on eBay, very low miles, I asked about pricing, I said $4,000 would be a fair price. I had a ton of people saying $5,000+ would be more likely, and I think the bike sold for $5,500.

Can someone search for it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Hope you're good at cleaning wheels. You're going to be doing it every-loving-day.

I just got rid of a Harley, I know what I'm in for.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Somewhere around March/April of last year I made a post where a local 2002-ish GSXR 1000 was on eBay, very low miles, I asked about pricing, I said $4,000 would be a fair price. I had a ton of people saying $5,000+ would be more likely, and I think the bike sold for $5,500.

Can someone search for it?

No need for search, if you click the ? under your avatar, it'll list all your posts in the thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2973065&pagenumber=22&perpage=40#post358723557
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2973065&userid=101847#post359097478

I still hold that ebay isn't that realistic, as who knows what it actually sold for, if at all. I agreed with you that 4kish would be a fair price, kdc disagreed with me and said that it should go for 5k plus.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I was clicking away and searching for '1000' but didn't see it. Thanks

Anyway, if I can get it for 4, I'll take it, we'll see if the guy calls back. I told him I wanted to try to get the deal done tonight or tomorrow.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bob Morales posted:

I just got rid of a Harley, I know what I'm in for.

Sportsbike brakes make the wheels a lot dirtier, and a lot harder to clean.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Sportsbike brakes make the wheels a lot dirtier, and a lot harder to clean.

SPOKES

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Oh gently caress me.

They replaced the tires, changed the oil, something else I quit paying attention to him. It would cost me $5150 out the door.

I kind of wanted a liter bike again (even if it's one of the wimpier ones). Time to call the guy who bought my 636.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Oh gently caress me.

They replaced the tires, changed the oil, something else I quit paying attention to him. It would cost me $5150 out the door.

I kind of wanted a liter bike again (even if it's one of the wimpier ones). Time to call the guy who bought my 636.

Oh, dealerships!

"Yeah, so that bike was 4k, and then we took care of the basic maintenance items that should have been dealt with anyways, and we're charging you freight because we had to push it between the shop and the showroom. That'll be 1150$ in labor and parts!".

What a load of poo poo.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Bob Morales posted:

Oh gently caress me.

Too bad about that particular dealer, but they aren't all that way. I bought my FZR1000 from one when I was stationed in SoCal (do they still call it that?) and rode the wheels off of it for 13 years. It was my daily driver for for nearly all of that time, too.

(Loved that bike, should have done a frame-off resto instead of getting rid of it.)

I did buy the 1 year/unlimited miles drivetrain warranty, though. In retrospect, I wouldn't waste the money on that again, but no complaints otherwise.

Anyway, great thread. I stumbled across it a couple of weeks ago and have been slowly making my way to the end. You guys know your stuff.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Bob Morales posted:

Just FYI you pay sales tax on used bikes, even through private sellers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

Just FYI you pay sales tax on used bikes, even through private sellers.
I think it depends on state, actually.

And even then, you can always try to convince a seller to put a lower number on a bill of sale.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
So, I'm here looking for suggestions for a second bike. I started riding last may, on Suzuki GS500. It's been a great first bike, and I know I've not outgrown it yet, but I'm starting to look around and see what else is out there. I really like the way the bike fits me, with the upright seating, but I'm looking for something with a little more power, and something that I'm not going to be letting run wide open on the freeway when I'm making long drives, and something with just a bit more power.

Any suggestions for a second bike? To be used for a little bit of commuting, a little bit of road-tripping, and a little bit of fun in the twisties.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ninja 250 SV650N? Upright seating position, roughly 75% more power, lotta mods out there, etc.

If you want to go to an I4, FZ6? Still upright, more like twice as much power, very popular bikes.

There's also the older sportbikes that qualify as sport touring type rides now...YZF600R, ZX6E, F2, F3, F4/F4i.

Do you have any more information about what you'd like? Fairings, no fairings? twins or 4s? triples? Newer or older?

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I was planning on sticking with the twin (or maybe a triple), because the only I4 I've ridden on (yamaha fz6) seemed incredibly twitchy on the throttle for my liking, plus I like the more even torque distribution of the Vtwin. I'm not totally ruling it out, and maybe something like an older CBR would be a good bet for that.

I wouldn't mind an older bike, given that it still runs without too much worry. Fairings I could take or leave. I like the look of my gs500F, and the naked sporty look of the SV650 line has always been attractive to me. I also was looking around at some of the bikes Triumph has been making, and given that they fit me comfortably, could see myself riding on a Bonneville, though those are a bit more pricey and a bigger bike.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Endless Mike posted:

I think it depends on state, actually.

And even then, you can always try to convince a seller to put a lower number on a bill of sale.

Didn't think about that, you're right. In Texas at least, they go with whatever is higher between sale price and presumed value, though I'm unsure what they use as a resource for that value. So even if you buy a $20,000 car for $1, you pay the tax on around $20k.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gstu posted:

I was planning on sticking with the twin (or maybe a triple), because the only I4 I've ridden on (yamaha fz6) seemed incredibly twitchy on the throttle for my liking, plus I like the more even torque distribution of the Vtwin. I'm not totally ruling it out, and maybe something like an older CBR would be a good bet for that.

I wouldn't mind an older bike, given that it still runs without too much worry. Fairings I could take or leave. I like the look of my gs500F, and the naked sporty look of the SV650 line has always been attractive to me. I also was looking around at some of the bikes Triumph has been making, and given that they fit me comfortably, could see myself riding on a Bonneville, though those are a bit more pricey and a bigger bike.

What price range? I'd consider a Triumph Street Triple as a second bike, if you wanted something that was just absolutely absurd and crazy and awesome. Bonnies/thruxtons/scramblers are all good bikes as well, I really enjoyed the gearbox on OrangeFurious's thruxton. Also, while they're bigger, they're not exactly powerhorses, being air cooled parallel twins. An SV will make more raw power.

Honestly, an SV is a great second bike. Cheap, bulletproof, lotta mods out there to make it your own, and a good motorcycle stock, and an excellent one if you address the suspension problems. Out of the 15 bikes I've owned, 3 of them have been SVs and I raced one, so obviously I like them quite a bit. They're just very fun.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

Didn't think about that, you're right. In Texas at least, they go with whatever is higher between sale price and presumed value, though I'm unsure what they use as a resource for that value. So even if you buy a $20,000 car for $1, you pay the tax on around $20k.

Unless it's a gift ;)

(and you're related to the gifter)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Gstu posted:

Any suggestions for a second bike? To be used for a little bit of commuting, a little bit of road-tripping, and a little bit of fun in the twisties.

Going to second the SV650 suggestion. I picked one up as my first bike in September and love it. Since then I have ridden a ton of bikes and always come back to the SV. I commute on it daily (~50 mi round trip), have done 700 mile days and it is great in the twisties.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

How much should I expect to spend on a mid-90's sportbike like a GSXR-750 or a CBR600 in good condition (i.e. requiring nothing to be roadworthy). If it makes a difference I live in CT and will be buying at the end of February/beginning of March. I realize that they may not be the most comfortable option for an everyday bike but I feel like I won't be satisfied until I get the chance to ride a legitimately-sporty bike, in contrast to the standards and such I've had until now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

How much should I expect to spend on a mid-90's sportbike like a GSXR-750 or a CBR600 in good condition (i.e. requiring nothing to be roadworthy). If it makes a difference I live in CT and will be buying at the end of February/beginning of March. I realize that they may not be the most comfortable option for an everyday bike but I feel like I won't be satisfied until I get the chance to ride a legitimately-sporty bike, in contrast to the standards and such I've had until now.

~1k for a beater, ~2k for a nice one. If you're spending over 2k, it had better be pristine.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
What's CA's opinion on this for Modify_Evolution's first bike? She's tried on this generation of Ninjas at stores and likes them a lot.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/mcy/1561718744.html

I've been keeping an eye on CL, and I have seen that bike listed at once a month for at LEAST the last three months, and probably longer. So in my mind, either there's something srsly messed up with it that he's not mentioning, or it's fine and he's probably really wanting it gone.

I figure we'd show up with $500 cash, check it over, offer $400 and if he won't take that, offer $500?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Tsaven Nava posted:

What's CA's opinion on this for Modify_Evolution's first bike? She's tried on this generation of Ninjas at stores and likes them a lot.

I've been keeping an eye on CL, and I have seen that bike listed at once a month for at LEAST the last three months, and probably longer. So in my mind, either there's something srsly messed up with it that he's not mentioning, or it's fine and he's probably really wanting it gone.

I figure we'd show up with $500 cash, check it over, offer $400 and if he won't take that, offer $500?

I operate on the "if it runs, its worth $1k" rule, so lowballing the poo poo out of the dude like that probably won't fly and honestly, it seems like a dick move unless there's something seriously busted on it

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Tsaven Nava posted:

If I'm remembering right thats the second year of that generation, made till 2007 so if it's in good condition it should be a good bike.

edit:

quote:

previous owner only had it up to 80mph with his wife on back
haha

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So, you know the Stroms I keep posting about?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mcy/1556532544.html

I checked out this one today, and even though it's somewhat higher mileage, it seems to be in good condition. The mild farkles are a nice touch, everything is pristine and in clean and lubed condition, and he has done valve adjustments, etc. The only slight negatives: no fork maintenance has been done on the bike, and the tires will need to be replaced in the next thousand miles or two (at least the rear will). He's selling for $5K but seemed open to negotiation (he noted that he wanted to sell it somewhere between trade-in ($4000) and retail ($5810) KBB value, so I'm thinking I'll offer $4200 and hopefully get it for $4500 like Z3n suggested). Also of note: the front wheel didn't spin completely freely when rotated with my hands on the center stand, it seemed like the front brake was dragging a little bit. Is this normal, or if it's not, a problem?

Seems like a pretty good deal, no? I should be paying/picking it up on Monday...

Radbot fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 24, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

A little bit of front brake drag is normal. I'd see if I could talk him down based off of having to do the fork oil and replace the tires. If you do the forks yourself, they're cheap, if you have someone else do them, figure around 150-200$.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

2ndclasscitizen posted:

You had to ask?

Good call. Thanks for the help.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2895016&pagenumber=56#post371483465

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

redscare posted:

I operate on the "if it runs, its worth $1k" rule, so lowballing the poo poo out of the dude like that probably won't fly and honestly, it seems like a dick move unless there's something seriously busted on it

I dunno, 21 years old bike, bad fork seals, missing lower fairing? You think $750 would be fair for it in the condition it's in?

Also, I'm cheap and poor as gently caress and Modify_Evolution is poor as gently caress. So the more money we can save, the better.