Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Tsaven Nava posted:

I dunno, 21 years old bike, bad fork seals, missing lower fairing? You think $750 would be fair for it in the condition it's in?

Also, I'm cheap and poor as gently caress and Modify_Evolution is poor as gently caress. So the more money we can save, the better.

Well, prices tend to be a bit higher in CA. If it's been listed for awhile, I'd politely offer 400-500$ and go from there. If the guy doesn't take it, he doesn't take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

You were close. That's a 950SM in the pic.

geometree
Oct 29, 2009
Looking for a starter bike here. My car is going downhill and I'd like to give up (or at least lessen) my gas-guzzling ways. I have 10 mile commute to work and I don't have to take the highway ever, so I feel like something small like this would be a good fit for me. Also it looks pretty drat cool imo.

http://www.austinmopeds.com/moped/1978-puch-maxi

Is that a reasonable price for something like that? Am I an idiot for wanting a little bike?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

geometree posted:

Looking for a starter bike here. My car is going downhill and I'd like to give up (or at least lessen) my gas-guzzling ways. I have 10 mile commute to work and I don't have to take the highway ever, so I feel like something small like this would be a good fit for me. Also it looks pretty drat cool imo.

http://www.austinmopeds.com/moped/1978-puch-maxi

Is that a reasonable price for something like that? Am I an idiot for wanting a little bike?

You're not an idiot for wanting a small bike but that one is too old for daily use. You'd be better served by something much newer and Japanese. Don't get suckered in by the Chinese scooters, cheap out of the box but long term junk that may or may not have any kind of parts avaiablity.

editified- this one http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1568495778.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1568424629.html you didn't mention gender, if you are a girl or secure in your masculinity

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1566043515.html

don't forget to budget for gear, MSF classes, and a dental plan that covered bugs in the teeth.

Gnomad fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 24, 2010

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
Anyone have any experience with the Aprilia SL1000 Falco R? There is a 2002 for sale near me, that seems like it's in great shape, though the Falco seem to be the bastard child of the Aprilia lineup and doesn't seem to have much of a community.

I'm looking to buy me second bike, to replace the SV650 I rode from 2003 till I sold it in 2008.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rakekniven posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Aprilia SL1000 Falco R? There is a 2002 for sale near me, that seems like it's in great shape, though the Falco seem to be the bastard child of the Aprilia lineup and doesn't seem to have much of a community.

I'm looking to buy me second bike, to replace the SV650 I rode from 2003 till I sold it in 2008.

They're loving awesome. Very unknown, underrated bikes. They use the same engine as the RSV Mille with a more upright seating position. I actually found it less comfortable than the Mille, but I have sort of an odd body shape. They tend to have some weird italian electronic issues (mostly problems with the gauges), but nothing that'd stop me from buying one.

AF1 is the place to go for Aprilia support, they're awesome. Their forum is here: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/

Check there for more info on them, including potential model year problem stuff. My experience with them is limited to a test ride on a friends. I pulled more wheelies that day than I had in the previous 3 years of riding. Through traffic. In San Francisco. It was loving fantastic, a touring bike with a hooligan engine.

geometree
Oct 29, 2009

Gnomad posted:

You're not an idiot for wanting a small bike but that one is too old for daily use. You'd be better served by something much newer and Japanese. Don't get suckered in by the Chinese scooters, cheap out of the box but long term junk that may or may not have any kind of parts avaiablity.

editified- this one http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1568495778.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1568424629.html you didn't mention gender, if you are a girl or secure in your masculinity

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1566043515.html

don't forget to budget for gear, MSF classes, and a dental plan that covered bugs in the teeth.

I'm a girl. And the bike I linked to, according to the shop that's selling it, is mostly new I think. "Absolutely everything on this bike has been replaced by something new, besides the frame and crankcases" says Austin Mopeds. If you follow the link, it's actually a pretty rad rebuilding. I just want to make sure I'm not getting ripped pricewise if that's the route I go.

Thanks for the craigslist ads, but those are all scooters. Would that be better suited for me, being a first time rider? They seem awfully.. cumbersome, I guess. I've never ridden one though, so I'll wait to form an actual opinion.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

geometree posted:

I'm a girl. And the bike I linked to, according to the shop that's selling it, is mostly new I think. "Absolutely everything on this bike has been replaced by something new, besides the frame and crankcases" says Austin Mopeds. If you follow the link, it's actually a pretty rad rebuilding. I just want to make sure I'm not getting ripped pricewise if that's the route I go.

Thanks for the craigslist ads, but those are all scooters. Would that be better suited for me, being a first time rider? They seem awfully.. cumbersome, I guess. I've never ridden one though, so I'll wait to form an actual opinion.

The scooters linked are definitely not cumbersome. They're small and light and ideal for light city travel. Not fast enough for highways or anything over 40, really.

The Puch is a scooter, just with a frame that isn't "step-through." If you actually want a motorcycle, and you want something that looks sporty, you can't go wrong with a Ninja 250. Or an older '80s bike that you can put cafe bars on to achieve a similar look to that Puch scooter.

I don't think that Puch is a great idea unless you're good with mechanical stuff because that is a highly-modded one that is old and running at way higher-performance than originally intended, so it'll probably be unreliable at best. Anything built for a racetrack is not going to be great for commuting.

If you like the vintage look, I'd go for an 80s bike around 250cc and put cafe bars on it, and you have a sweet little cafe racer that will be fine for a new rider, if a bit uncomfortable.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 25, 2010

geometree
Oct 29, 2009

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

The scooters linked are definitely not cumbersome. They're small and light and ideal for light city travel. Not fast enough for highways or anything over 40, really.

The Puch is a scooter, just with a frame that isn't "step-through." If you actually want a motorcycle, and you want something that looks sporty, you can't go wrong with a Ninja 250. Or an older '80s bike that you can put cafe bars on to achieve a similar look to that Puch scooter.

I don't think that Puch is a great idea unless you're good with mechanical stuff because that is a highly-modded one that is old and running at way higher-performance than originally intended, so it'll probably be unreliable at best. Anything built for a racetrack is not going to be great for commuting.

If you like the vintage look, I'd go for an 80s bike around 250cc and put cafe bars on it, and you have a sweet little cafe racer that will be fine for a new rider, if a bit uncomfortable.

That's a good point about the mechanics, I hadn't considered that. I have zero experience with things mechanical aside from my bicycle and was hoping to learn how to do some basic repairs myself, but messing around with a modded bike is probably not the best place to start.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

geometree posted:

That's a good point about the mechanics, I hadn't considered that. I have zero experience with things mechanical aside from my bicycle and was hoping to learn how to do some basic repairs myself, but messing around with a modded bike is probably not the best place to start.

Not to mention it's kind of a specialty machine that is overpriced for what it can do. You could literally spend a fraction of that on a machine that can do so much more.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

geometree posted:

Seconding what FuzzyWuzzy said, for the love of god don't buy it. That Puch is a racing bike and has been build and modded to within and inch of it's life. It's built for the track, to go fast, and probably won't work at all on the street, if you could even get it plated.

It's got semi-slick racing tires, high-compression head, heavy porting, exhaust, etc etc etc. It's probably louder then anything you can possibly imagine, and will melt pistons every time you blink. And two-strokes are know for really peaky powerbands, which can be terrifying to someone inexperienced.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

And two-strokes are know for really peaky powerbands, which can be terrifying to someone inexperienced.

And so, so goddamn fun :hellyeah:

I wouldn't get that particular moped though.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

If you actually want a motorcycle, and you want something that looks sporty, you can't go wrong with a Ninja 250. Or an older '80s bike that you can put cafe bars on to achieve a similar look to that Puch scooter.

Classic ninja 250s are 80s bikes ;)

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

blugu64 posted:

Classic ninja 250s are 80s bikes ;)

Why change a good thing?

Anyway, I pretty much got to the "1978" part of the Puch and stopped right there. It was too old to work as daily transport, modded or not.

If you aren't wanting a scooter, this one might work. http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1551186796.html

Something like this, or a Rebel, KZ 400/440, etc

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Theres quite a few ninjas out there for 1500 give or take a hundred bucks.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Pompous Rhombus posted:

And so, so goddamn fun :hellyeah:

I wouldn't get that particular moped though.

gently caress just thinking about 'em makes me miss my go-ped. I should get that thing running again . . .

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Still don't have a bike.

Going to look at a 2007 CBR 600RR after work.

:ohdear:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

geometree posted:

I'm a girl. And the bike I linked to, according to the shop that's selling it, is mostly new I think. "Absolutely everything on this bike has been replaced by something new, besides the frame and crankcases" says Austin Mopeds.

In addition to what everyone else has said, just because it had a lot of repairs and replacement parts, doesn't make it an "almost new" bike. It makes it a 32 year old bike that needed a lot of work. Still not a good idea.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
MOST mopeds are actually a bit less useful than scooters. Mopeds generally are single speed machines. Scooters usually have a CVT, and therefore are a good bit quicker for a given engine size.

Fuzzy, why are you recommending making a bike uncomfortable? That just makes no sense at all.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Nerobro posted:

MOST mopeds are actually a bit less useful than scooters. Mopeds generally are single speed machines. Scooters usually have a CVT, and therefore are a good bit quicker for a given engine size.

Fuzzy, why are you recommending making a bike uncomfortable? That just makes no sense at all.

Because sometimes people enjoy riding bikes that look awesome, and cafe'd bikes look awesome. That Puch looks cafe'd and I didn't know if that's what she was going for. Nobody ever accused cafe racers of being ergonomic, but dammit they look badass. Since when was sensibility ever part of riding anyway? :)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I've got a line on a 1982 Kawasaki 440 LTD which has been bobbed (small Honda tank, solo springer seat, bobbed Honda fender), and has about 26k miles. The bike has new carbs, and is generally in good shape. The guy is asking $600, does this seem fair? I don't know a ton about these bikes, and I was looking at spending right around $500 for a third bike; this bike looks pretty good. I'll include the CL ad, even though it's kinda weird, and the carb leak issue has been fixed:

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/mcy/1565203331.html

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Yeah... that's an abused bike. With a mutt of parts. It will not be easy to take care of. the price seem a little high considering.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Nerobro posted:

Yeah... that's an abused bike. With a mutt of parts. It will not be easy to take care of. the price seem a little high considering.

I was kind of on the fence about it...The other bike I'm looking at is a 93 Yamaha Seca w/ 15k miles for $800. It's a little more than I was looking to spend, but it's a bunch newer bike, and a little easier to find parts for. What's the general consensus on the Seca XJ600?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Anyone have a good reason I should not to get this bike?

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/mcy/1568944306.html

Other than the price, that seems kinda high. I'd lowball him.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

Going to look at a 2007 CBR 600RR after work.

:ohdear:

Agreed to buy. Started snowing or else I would have rode it home.

Let's see how this can possibly be hosed up by tomorrow.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1570660456.html

Does this seem like a good deal on an F2? It's probably within a mile or 2 of where I live, anything to watch out for?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

infraboy posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1570660456.html

Does this seem like a good deal on an F2? It's probably within a mile or 2 of where I live, anything to watch out for?

Depends on how many miles are on it...I've got one with 39000 miles on it that I'm planning on listing for around the same price, although mine's a little worse off. Looks like it's in decent shape, but who can tell from those tiny photos. I'd try and talk him down to around 1300-1500$ out of principal, depending on condition, tires, last valve adjustment, etc. For reference, when mine is ready to go it's going to be good for quite awhile, new chain, new pads, new rear rotor, blah blah blah.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Z3n posted:

Depends on how many miles are on it...I've got one with 39000 miles on it that I'm planning on listing for around the same price, although mine's a little worse off. Looks like it's in decent shape, but who can tell from those tiny photos. I'd try and talk him down to around 1300-1500$ out of principal, depending on condition, tires, last valve adjustment, etc. For reference, when mine is ready to go it's going to be good for quite awhile, new chain, new pads, new rear rotor, blah blah blah.

Maybe, bringing the GS500 to the shop tommorow :( wont have a bike till it's back. Pictures of your F2 zen?

edit: also just called the guy, bike has 65k miles, I have no idea how much that is for this bike, it's literally like a 1/4 of a mile away from where I live though, so maybe i'll take peak at it.

infraboy fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 26, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

infraboy posted:

Maybe, bringing the GS500 to the shop tommorow :( wont have a bike till it's back. Pictures of your F2 zen?

edit: also just called the guy, bike has 65k miles, I have no idea how much that is for this bike, it's literally like a 1/4 of a mile away from where I live though, so maybe i'll take peak at it.

It's not quite ready to go yet...it still needs:

Chain
Mirror
Oil change
Bleed brakes

I've got fork seals for it, and I need to do those too. Only mod is a D&D pipe. Bike runs nicely.

I'll probably list it for 1800$, but honestly would take quite a bit less. Note minor scrapes on right side, and crack in the upper on the left side. I'm undecided if I want to go through and do cosmetic stuff on it or not.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 26, 2010

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Sweet Skin sticker, brah

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Hmm I don't really mind minor cosmetics on older used bikes, I mainly need something thats fun and relatively quick/reliable for going to work.

I am really interested in your ZX-6 until I found out that it would nearly triple my insurance on my lovely driving record

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bike has sat for awhile but should be good. I just did the valves, there's one intake valve that was on the tight side but it was still in spec, I redid 6 out of 8 of the exhaust shims. Bike runs surprisingly nicely for an old bike. It's got a manual cam chain tensioner too, which is nice.

redscare posted:

Sweet Skin sticker, brah

Don't ask me, I just buy the bikes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Included stuff so far that I've taken home:

A whole box of Royal Purple 10W40
Pretty new smelling HJC CL-SP
Teknic Chicane jacket, a little big on me but at least I can wear a sweatshirt under it
Teknic gloves that fit
Volume-reducing insert for Leo Vince pipe that is definitely going in
Stock muffler which might go back on

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Leo Vince makes awesome pipes but holy gently caress are they loud. I take it you bought the CBR?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Z3n posted:

Leo Vince makes awesome pipes but holy gently caress are they loud. I take it you bought the CBR?

Yea, we're going to the bank in a little bit so he can have them sign off on the title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c5iqX8AUsM

According to that video it shouldn't be so bad. Probably going to put the insert in it right away though.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Tsaven Nava posted:

I dunno, 21 years old bike, bad fork seals, missing lower fairing? You think $750 would be fair for it in the condition it's in?

Also, I'm cheap and poor as gently caress and Modify_Evolution is poor as gently caress. So the more money we can save, the better.
How about your Virago? $0 seems like a pretty good deal to me, and she'll know where to find the PO when poo poo goes wrong.

It's perhaps a little heavy, maybe, but she'll adapt, I'm sure.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!
Man, it's times like this that I hate being north of Toronto. I'm looking at getting a bike for this coming season, after I take the MSF and all that, and was wondering what people thought of a GS500e (the one without fairings/windshield) to start on.

Is there something that may be a bit older along those lines (ie. that style) that is still reliable enough and not too much bike that I wouldn't be able to handle? All the GS's I found are prohibitively expensive.

Only thing I've found around here is an '82 Yamaha SECA 750 with 35,000km for $1900 cert. which sounds really high.

Sharp_angus fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 26, 2010

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The quest is over, it's in my garage!

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
drat, that looks good in the black and silver. Nice bike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

The quest is over, it's in my garage!

Cool, post impressions when you've got a chance to really get it going :)