Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

anachrodragon posted:

What's his personality like? Does he act like a herding dog?

Absolutely. I live on 40 acres with cows, horses, and various wildlife and he's always chasing them toward their feeding troughs if they wander to the far reaches of their pastures. He's also really, really good at catching gophers.
He's incredibly sweet and he follows me everywhere. I bring him to work with me and he sleeps under my desk if I'm sitting there for more than 5 minutes. When I'm gone for a few hours he gets high-strung (according to my father) and various things like that. He's really energetic and can jump pretty high as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.

Bewildrbeast posted:

So I'm not sure if my dog is part Corgi or not and I figured you guys may have an idea-

During a move, hence the bad paint and posters.

Thumbnail because, well, it's huge.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

I love him and I'm mainly curious so I can quit telling people who ask what type of dog he is "Louisiana Pound Puppy".

Your dog looks a lot like my dog, Ula.

elf pr0n fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 7, 2010

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

Bewildrbeast posted:

So I'm not sure if my dog is part Corgi or not and I figured you guys may have an idea-

I love him and I'm mainly curious so I can quit telling people who ask what type of dog he is "Louisiana Pound Puppy".

I googled "corgi fluffy" and this was the first picture. Looks a lot like yours :3:

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Oh wow, that does look a lot like him. I didn't think Corgis could have tails until I saw the Cardigans (I actually squealed out loud with "DAWWWW" when I saw 'em) so maybe he's just a really, really recessive kinda Corgi.
Awesome.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Bewildrbeast posted:

Oh wow, that does look a lot like him. I didn't think Corgis could have tails until I saw the Cardigans (I actually squealed out loud with "DAWWWW" when I saw 'em) so maybe he's just a really, really recessive kinda Corgi.
Awesome.

That would be really, really recessive for sure, in terms of color and fluff.

My guess is he's a mix, but it sure is looking like he's got a lot of corgi in him. Cardigans can come up white, but I think it's linked to deafness, so breeders try to steer away from the possibility.

From how you describe him, he's sure got the corgi personality though!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It has been rather cold here in Texas this winter, and this morning I woke up to see the pool completely frozen. Naturally Rain had to walk around a bit on it.

And here's a much older picture, I think from early '07. He's about six years old now.

I don't think I'll ever want any other type of dog.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Bewildrbeast posted:

Looks like there's some Corgi and American Eskimo Dog in there. Cute dog.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Got some more pics of my boy Milhouse doing corgi-like things because goddamn, this dog loves cameras.

Exploring Hoth a Chicago park snowhill.

He loves to dig at random spots and tug on the grass. Even through inches of snow?

This is his infamous "I don't give a poo poo I won't own up to it" face. This was after me chasing him down to get a cat's toy out of his mouth that he had torn up. He acted as if he didn't do it.

This was him after Christmas and had played himself into exhaustion. So I dumped his toys on him. He didn't move for a good hour.

I got some more but I don't want to overload you guys.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Ringo Star Get posted:

I got some more but I don't want to overload you guys.

There is never enough corgi pictures. Speaking of which, I need to get a move on uploading some more of Pepper

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace had a great xmas this year!

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

Gizmo sleeping and repping his team

Korenwolf
Mar 14, 2007

Nap Ghost
Oh No puppy don't go up there!

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Click here for the full 800x1067 image.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

For whatever reason he decided he really wanted to be up on my dash board, fortunately I was very close to home...

Obligatory Corgi hate Santa hat photo

Click here for the full 1000x710 image.

Click here for the full 1000x1004 image.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Fun little story from this weekend, not that great but if you're bored, read!

My desire to get a Corgi is all over the charts, one day I think I'm better without a dog another I'm dying to have one, but I'm someone who does pull the trigger until I'm unbelievably sure. So I decided to check out some Corgi pups this weekend in Lancaster PA.

Yes, the puppy mill death zone of the world. I was going down to check out the environment they were in, how the dogs acted, just get a feel for things. I live 3 hours away from this place, oh well, my girlfriend lives 4 hours away so I should be up for this.

We get there and it's an Amish farm with one family having three house for their parings (Old Mother/Father have a house, and each of their daughters have a house). Definitely not a puppy mill deal, Each family does a different breed, the one daughter happens to do Corgis.

The daughter that does the Corgis isn't there, I knew she wasn't available but this was the only free time I had so we went and the old mother showed us around and really couldn't answer any questions.

We get to the house and the mother is outside, odd behavior I thought (I'm no expert though). Upon seeing strangers the mother shakes her butt like crazy, not out of excitement though, she's afraid of people. She sort of takes off, the woman tells us she gets nervous even posing for pictures.

The father is better around people, but there's no high energy between the two. Might have just been an off day. Onto the puppies, who are behind a big barn door. The woman opens the door and we're attacked by a Corgi Puppy Rush using a wave of adorable on us. Everyone melts.

Their living environment was not so great given the current freezing temperatures PA has been having. They are situation in a barn with a concrete floor, have one little crate and some hay. I'm sure it's not a bad environment for outside dogs (maybe it is, anyone with thoughts?) but my "Awww these pups must be cold" instinct kicks in a little.

Of course the one I was interested in the most acts differently from the others and is the runt. She would take 4-5 steps, then sit on her butt. I don't think she had any actual problems as we got her to run around once or twice, but she was obviously just like her mother, and her reaction upon seeing us was to hide in her crate.

Again, the woman had no answers. She didn't know who docked their tails, judging by the deer fur in a pile outside the barn I'm going to go and assume the owners did. Stuff about the papers/registration was off, she claimed the pups were ACA registered, but was hazy on everything. She also told us they have not been to a vet but "We've been told as long as you keep the parents healthy the pups don't need to necessarily be checked out." (Ohhhh sure!) Our only assurance on health was we could take the puppy to the vet when we bought it, a day or two after we got it, and if there was a problem they would take it back. Yeah okay, on top of living three hours away, fantastic!

They were asking $600 for the pups, which considering pretty much no papers, no health checks, improper docking (just a guess but a drat good guess), and the whole vet situation, not happening. The woman also claimed the mother had a litter a year, which I don't think is crazy, but that's also taking her word for it.

The old woman was a bit of a hustler, because I said I had interest in the one off of a picture of the markings before I got there they already had my name written next to it. Even after I said I was changing my mind on which one I preferred based on how they acted, still had me marked down for one and kept on asking if I wanted to put a deposit down.

So what I learned... I'm never driving to Lancaster again. It wasn't a bad drive I just don't think I can ever fully trust the area. Sorry Amish, we're different, and I'm not hating, we just don't have the same mentality. "But Dave, be more tolerant", you might say. Well on my way out my girlfriend noticed something pretty hilarious, bizarre; a PlaySkool kids slide, with a decapitated deer head laying at the top!

Now I sit around, same situation I was in before the trip, and eying up this adorable little girl:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=15540191

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

The Dave posted:

So what I learned... I'm never driving to Lancaster again. It wasn't a bad drive I just don't think I can ever fully trust the area. Sorry Amish, we're different, and I'm not hating, we just don't have the same mentality. "But Dave, be more tolerant", you might say. Well on my way out my girlfriend noticed something pretty hilarious, bizarre; a PlaySkool kids slide, with a decapitated deer head laying at the top!

Run as fast as you can from the Amish. Do NOT even for a second think about getting a dog from these people. There's no reason to be tolerant towards dog breeders that don't even take the puppies in to see a vet.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Don't worry I knew I was done with them before I left their farm. I really didn't know if they were Amish or not before I went there.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
The Amish tend to mill the poo poo out of puppies, you met a classic miller. The fact that they didn't set up a better facade is funny because usually they bring the puppies in their house and at least pretend they aren't being reared in the cold barn with no vet care.

Why not try and find a corgi rescue? No idea where you are but there are a bunch over here in Jersey. You can find local rescues and even reputable breeders from the breed club site- http://www.pembrokecorgi.org/

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.
My little Bean is doing quite well despite the cold snowy weather in NY:

I used the Furminator brush on her today and BOY did we get a lot of hair off of her despite brushing her just about every day):

I would recommend the Furminator to anyone, 100%!

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Asking some advice here

My corgi is right on the edge on frontline's weight guidelines (she is about 21.8 lbs). Would it be safe to get the 23-44lb level of frontline? Would that extra pound or so really make a huge difference?

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Gizmo isn't on frontline but they boosted his up to the next level when he was on the edge.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

streetlamp posted:

Gizmo isn't on frontline but they boosted his up to the next level when he was on the edge.

Thanks for the help. I promise I'll get more pictures of Pepper soon!

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Live corgi puppies! :3:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/marpranpwc

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

The Dave posted:

Now I sit around, same situation I was in before the trip, and eying up this adorable little girl:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=15540191

As others have said, stay far, far away from the Amish and their puppy mills. You've really only got two decent options when looking for a purebred dog. The best option, of course, would be a rescue. Other than that, you'd want to look for reputable breeders, who are doing health/genetic testing, and breeding only infrequent litters from titled dogs. Someone already mentioned the link to the breed club website, but here it is again:

http://www.pembrokecorgi.org/

There is also the Cardigan breed club if you're interested in Cardis:

http://www.cardigancorgis.com/

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Winter pictures!

The girls pose for a picture.

Here comes the troops!

Picture taken while they were playing in the snow. Looks like they are going to kill each other.

Macie had to get her close up!

Those are just the 4 favorites I picked out of a larger series. They have been having a lot of fun in the snow. Most nights it's a little too cold for their paws to be playing very long, but during the day they will start playing in the snow and it is really cute.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
I promised new pictures, so here they are. They're a few months old, but I finally got them off the camera.

She fukkin loves grass! She is about 9-10 months old in these photos and currently about a year and a half.

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

streetlamp posted:

Live corgi puppies! :3:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/marpranpwc

!!!

This is Bailey's breeder, she raises great dogs.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

abaddonis posted:

:swoon: Look at that little corgi belly! :3:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Figured I'd come here since a lot of people here own corgi's and Milhouse has brought out his full on douchiness.

Milhouse is just over a year old. He is a tugger and a ripper of his toys, which is something I am fully aware of. He has full access to his toys (he pulls out the box from the shelf) and gets plenty of exercise. He also plays with our cat Brock and the border collie mix Cloe.

He is a giant douche.

Whenever my girlfriend and I leave, be it for 20 minutes to grab something down the street or for a few hours for dinner, there is a slight chance that Milhouse will find something and destroy it. He has managed to tear a rug up, knock an Ipod stereo controller OFF a counter and chew it in half, tore up a regular ol' reservation book and has even managed to chew a hole in a wall. This can be done like I said, within 20 minutes or 3 hours.

He knows hes done something bad because when we come home, instead of greeting us at the door like he usually does, he'll go and hide. We don't punish since he won't know why we're punishing him, but aside from us "corgi proofing" everything, he always manages to get something else.

Is he acting out? Is it a phase? The only changes that has happened recently was that the vet had us reduce his food by the slightest since he was a bit over on his weight. We cut out unnecessary treats and late night snacks (we would give a few bits of kibble to help him sleep and now he carries his bowl to us, he stopped doing that though).

He gets plenty of love and play. I'm not kidding my goal everytime I'm over is to tire the hell out of this dog and usually we end up sleeping on each other.

So any tips?

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Ringo Star Get posted:

Figured I'd come here since a lot of people here own corgi's and Milhouse has brought out his full on douchiness.

Milhouse is just over a year old. He is a tugger and a ripper of his toys, which is something I am fully aware of. He has full access to his toys (he pulls out the box from the shelf) and gets plenty of exercise. He also plays with our cat Brock and the border collie mix Cloe.

He is a giant douche.

Whenever my girlfriend and I leave, be it for 20 minutes to grab something down the street or for a few hours for dinner, there is a slight chance that Milhouse will find something and destroy it. He has managed to tear a rug up, knock an Ipod stereo controller OFF a counter and chew it in half, tore up a regular ol' reservation book and has even managed to chew a hole in a wall. This can be done like I said, within 20 minutes or 3 hours.

He knows hes done something bad because when we come home, instead of greeting us at the door like he usually does, he'll go and hide. We don't punish since he won't know why we're punishing him, but aside from us "corgi proofing" everything, he always manages to get something else.

Is he acting out? Is it a phase? The only changes that has happened recently was that the vet had us reduce his food by the slightest since he was a bit over on his weight. We cut out unnecessary treats and late night snacks (we would give a few bits of kibble to help him sleep and now he carries his bowl to us, he stopped doing that though).

He gets plenty of love and play. I'm not kidding my goal everytime I'm over is to tire the hell out of this dog and usually we end up sleeping on each other.

So any tips?

Have you caught him in the act of destroying your stuff? You say he runs and hides, but have you seen him chewing something up and reprimanded him for it?

NuclearFusi0n
Apr 16, 2003
Uhhhhhmmmmmm

Ringo Star Get posted:

So any tips?
Crate him while you're gone until he gets older? Do corgis calm down as they age?

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

NuclearFusi0n posted:

Crate him while you're gone until he gets older? Do corgis calm down as they age?

Yeah this. Is he crate trained? If not, this would be a good time to start. Our corgi is pretty well behaved, but I don't think I'd ever want to leave her roaming the house while we're away. There's just too much potential trouble for a bored dog to get into.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.

Ringo Star Get posted:

He is a giant douche.

Something I noticed is that the type of food I give Beanie makes a big difference in how she acts. She used to eat food with corn/wheat in it, and I swear, it made her really hyper and annoying. We have her on food with zero corn, wheat or soy in it, with meat as the first several ingredients, and she's been a lot cooler.

When we have to leave her to go out to the store really quick, we put her in an exercise pen (about 3 ft by 5 ft) so she can't destroy the house.

Also, this has been a bit of a miracle treat for us -- Texas Toothpicks.
http://www.amazon.com/Merricks-Texas-Toothpicks-Value-Pack/dp/B000OBYVXW

I was kind of skeptical at first, but they are the ONLY thing that keeps Beanie occupied for hours without destroying her surroundings. It's what I give her when I need to brush her, and it's like she's in a whole different dimension.

I got mine at a local Pet Goods -- recommend them 100%. When I can't find her, I look in the living room, hanging out on the couch, chewing her Texas Toothpick... instead of tearing up rugs, knocking poo poo over, etc. It's really cute.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
Pepper must be the odd ball, she only destroys her toys. We gave her some old socks, and regular dog toys and she hasn't chewed a single thing.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

He hasn't been fully crated, it is my girlfriend's dog but since we are moving into a place together and that I'm over at her place a majority of the week I have been taking care of the dogs.

I've voiced that he should be crated while we're gone, but her Border Collie being able to roam about would drive him nuts. He is too intelligent for his own good sometimes.

Most of the time when we're gone he just goes and sleeps or plays with the other pets in the household. I'm tempted to set up a camera to see what goes on while we're gone because I figure that the other two pets must not be into playing tug with him or wrestling and he takes his frustration out. Hes a well behaved dog for a corgi considering his herding and barking habits, but his reign of terror on tearing stuff up is torture.

I'm not kidding about the hole though in the wall. A physical hole and his snout was covered with dust and plaster. It was amazing. We were gone for maybe an hour.

We are going to try keeping him barricaded in the bedroom. Its got his bed in there and most of his toys and the possibility of him tearing anything up is nil save for a hamper basket.

Here he is attempting to steal the biggest stick outside with our border collie Cloe:

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Ringo Star Get posted:

I've voiced that he should be crated while we're gone, but her Border Collie being able to roam about would drive him nuts. He is too intelligent for his own good sometimes.

We are going to try keeping him barricaded in the bedroom. Its got his bed in there and most of his toys and the possibility of him tearing anything up is nil save for a hamper basket.

Why not crate him in the bedroom and leave the other dog out of the bedroom?

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

I got to echo the crating on this one. Frank the Corg is well behaved but we don't leave him out for all the reasons that Millhouse needs to be. Even the most well behaved dog is going to find ways to get in trouble when you're gone too long. For Frank, the crate has turned out to be his safe place and at this point, if we leave for even a short period, he gets really anxious and isn't happy since we're gone. We don't have an extra dog that is roaming around, but he doesn't seem to get bothered by the cat who sleeps on top of the kennel or right in front of it. Seems like Dex (cat) just keeps corg company.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Ringo Star Get posted:

Here he is attempting to steal the biggest stick outside with our border collie Cloe:

Hahaha, that's great.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Ringo Star Get posted:

I'm not kidding about the hole though in the wall. A physical hole and his snout was covered with dust and plaster. It was amazing. We were gone for maybe an hour.

When Josie was a puppy she tore a big hole in our drywall. We weren't even gone, we'd just taken our attention off her for like a couple minutes, and she snuck into the other room, and then there was a huge hole in the wall. She was very proud of herself. Puppies. :argh:

Even though I doubt she'd do anything of the sort now, that's the kind of thing you don't forget, and it's one of the reasons I'm very in favor of crates.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

anachrodragon posted:

Yeah this. Is he crate trained? If not, this would be a good time to start. Our corgi is pretty well behaved, but I don't think I'd ever want to leave her roaming the house while we're away. There's just too much potential trouble for a bored dog to get into.

Engineer Lenk posted:

Why not crate him in the bedroom and leave the other dog out of the bedroom?

I'm gonna be a broken record here and stress how good of an idea this is. Corgis are pretty destructive if left alone. I found the bit about the hole in the wall funny because we had the crate too close to the wall once and ours ripped a hole in the wall through the bars.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Gizmo wanted to try out some modeling, I have some other photos to post later

Click here for the full 741x612 image.

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002