Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Whelp, my indoor team is just atrocious. We probably have about 3, maybe 4, good players on the entire squad. And by good I mean "capable of sprinting and/or running for more than 30 seconds."

The problem is that most of the big guys end up wanting to play defender, but they're too slow for the forwards and get beaten on every ball. We can't put them up front, because they're too slow and not agile enough to move the ball forward. It's a lose/lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I'll show you and your massive chebs the time of your lives you sexy fuck
Just remembered when I was a kid and we were battering this crap side from outside of Reading. About 30 minutes in their goalkeeper stormed off the pitch because of how absolutely poo poo his defenders were.

Nobody wanted to take his place so in the end I think they subbed in some kid that was just there watching. Felt really bad for him.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I feel awful for our goalie because he is probably the best goalkeeper I've ever played with. He's at least collegiate-level quality. And we've lost 12-2 and 8-2 in the past two games because of unmarked players getting passes directly in front of the box.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

the posted:

Whelp, my indoor team is just atrocious. We probably have about 3, maybe 4, good players on the entire squad. And by good I mean "capable of sprinting and/or running for more than 30 seconds."

The problem is that most of the big guys end up wanting to play defender, but they're too slow for the forwards and get beaten on every ball. We can't put them up front, because they're too slow and not agile enough to move the ball forward. It's a lose/lose.

Get them defending deep, like in the penalty area deep. 2 slow guys in the middle. This only works if you've got awesomely quick and fit left/right backs. Either get them to channel the attacks wide or down the middle depending on how good the other team is at poo poo like 1-on-1 or crossing. Mind you I'm talking from 11-a-side view point here.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Kommienzuspadt posted:

from time to time i find myself browsing soccer.com or some other website trying to talk myself into buying new boots even though my old ones are perfectly fine. i dont know why i do it but some of them are just so pretty.

Me too. The new Adipures :allears:

I just joined a coed indoor team, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one with any experience. The first game, I managed a hat trick in the first half before running out of gas (three months alternating between overseas travel and sea level in Nebraska, then playing in Colorado will do that)...our offensive strategy in the second half was "hey, you look like you know what you're doing, you try and score and we'll stand here and watch. Defend? No no, that's for chumps."

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

identikit posted:

Get them defending deep, like in the penalty area deep. 2 slow guys in the middle. This only works if you've got awesomely quick and fit left/right backs. Either get them to channel the attacks wide or down the middle depending on how good the other team is at poo poo like 1-on-1 or crossing. Mind you I'm talking from 11-a-side view point here.

Yeah, I mean, outdoor this wouldn't be an issue. But when you've got 5 a side, what can you do?

Even when we have, say, one of the slow guys as the left defender, and myself as the right defender, he ends up getting beat, giving a breakaway on the left side. I have to go for the ball, leaving my man open. The person gets off a pass to the man I had to leave open, and ... well there you have it.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

the posted:

I feel awful for our goalie because he is probably the best goalkeeper I've ever played with. He's at least collegiate-level quality. And we've lost 12-2 and 8-2 in the past two games because of unmarked players getting passes directly in front of the box.

Good goalies are worth their weight in gold. I hated playing in a 5-a-side goal. So whenever my team did those tournaments I bagged a position on the wing. Was hilarious that I was the only decent player on our 3rd 5-a-side team yet we could beat our 1s and 2s easy. We just got beaten by the loving extra rounds we had to play to get into a decent cup.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

the posted:

Yeah, I mean, outdoor this wouldn't be an issue. But when you've got 5 a side, what can you do?

Even when we have, say, one of the slow guys as the left defender, and myself as the right defender, he ends up getting beat, giving a breakaway on the left side. I have to go for the ball, leaving my man open. The person gets off a pass to the man I had to leave open, and ... well there you have it.

Hmmm. Ok defend proper backs to the wall. Balls deep. You need one guy to absolutely throw himself at everything that comes anywhere near the goal. I used to do this against the kids down the park. Slide tackles, diving blocks and generally getting hosed up are things you gotta deal with, but I never lost a match and they only ever managed fluky goals. My astros bear the scars of a million lunge blocks.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Craiglen posted:

How many blues is equal to one yellow?

I play in a five-a-side indoor league and it works like this:

Blue: penalty for 2 minutes or until other team scores.
Yellow: penalty for 4 minutes
Red: 4 minute penalty + ejection + suspension (only guy on our team who got one was banned for 7 games)

No x amount of blues = yellow or yellows = red. Mind you, these are all crazy Canadian rules but it's a FIFA sanctioned league so who knows.

Got a game tonight! Things are looking up, our form has been L-L-L-L-L-L-D-D-L-W!
We can go from bottom of the table to third from bottom with a win, but we're playing the top team so I doubt it. :(

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

identikit posted:

Hmmm. Ok defend proper backs to the wall. Balls deep. You need one guy to absolutely throw himself at everything that comes anywhere near the goal. I used to do this against the kids down the park. Slide tackles, diving blocks and generally getting hosed up are things you gotta deal with, but I never lost a match and they only ever managed fluky goals. My astros bear the scars of a million lunge blocks.

Well, I'd love to but slide tackling and board checking will land you quickly in the books at this facility.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

what's everyones preference for the shin guard?

I've noticed that most people in the leagues i play in just rock the simple calf strap ones. I really favor the ones with ankle guards as well, they're a bit bulkier but they don't fall off or slide around my leg and by the way most of you guys post I feel like I should be more worried about getting slid through.

DrakeD
Jul 9, 2008

Rats in the hallway again!

hughsieblingwish posted:

The same as yours, i like my ankles protected.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

hughsieblingwish posted:

I've noticed that most people in the leagues i play in just rock the simple calf strap ones. I really favor the ones with ankle guards as well, they're a bit bulkier but they don't fall off or slide around my leg and by the way most of you guys post I feel like I should be more worried about getting slid through.

some of the ankle guard ones aren't too bad. my brother gave me a pair of his adidas umm predator shinguards i guess. they feel good.

edit: oops totally misread. yeah i like the ankle guard ones too but some pairs tend to have really chunky ankle pads which is why I didnt use them until recently.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I had some massive Adidas pads where the ankle guards were a bit too bulky and didn't fit with my boots properly, but there is absolutely no way I would take to a pitch, even in fives, with the simple calf strap types. Half the people I see using them have teeny ones that leave the top half of their shins exposed and usually don't even have the straps either. I daren't even think about playing like that.

e: Also, called the guy whose arm I broke last Friday to apologise again and find out how soon he could play again. Turns out he sprained his wrist but there's no break so I feel like less of a thug now. :)

Scikar fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 27, 2010

PhillyLucky
Jun 17, 2005
I cant wear those ankle guards, they just feel way too bulky for me to feel like I can move around in them. I usually just go with Shin Guards that have no straps at all. I either put a little tape around the sock underneath of them or nothing at all. sometimes nothing at all is better because you can fix them alot easier.

I also play on a poo poo indoor team that REFUSES to defend, I'm probably the best field player on the team (I was a keeper in college four years ago so that tells you how bad they are) but whenever I go on I get stuck playing defense by myself. If I ever make a run and dont score or set someone else up it ends in a goal because nobody gets back. I'm sort of new to the team and dont know anyone but one person on it, otherwise I would be screaming my loving head off. We lost last week 12-2 and had the ball for maybe 20% of the game.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Scikar posted:

I had some massive Adidas pads where the ankle guards were a bit too bulky and didn't fit with my boots properly, but there is absolutely no way I would take to a pitch, even in fives, with the simple calf strap types. Half the people I see using them have teeny ones that leave the top half of their shins exposed and usually don't even have the straps either. I daren't even think about playing like that.

e: Also, called the guy whose arm I broke last Friday to apologise again and find out how soon he could play again. Turns out he sprained his wrist but there's no break so I feel like less of a thug now. :)

the cocksucker that broke my arm didnt even so much as do that, probably because i was frothing at the mouth and threatening to decapitate him if i ever saw him again.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I wear tiny shinguards. I'm pretty sure they're adult XS. They cover maybe half of my shin.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Shrapnac posted:

I wear tiny shinguards. I'm pretty sure they're adult XS. They cover maybe half of my shin.

This is the proper way to wear shinguards. No tape. Grow some calves you pansies.

TinkerBell
Dec 4, 2002
For the last %#$@ing time, I'm not a fairy! I'm a pixie.

Bobby Digital posted:

Me too. The new Adipures :allears:

I've got three pairs of these. :D

Shrapnac posted:

And I wear kids sized shinguards that are not much more than cardboard. I normally play as a striker or attacking midfielder though so, meh.

TinkerBell fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 27, 2010

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kommienzuspadt posted:

from time to time i find myself browsing soccer.com or some other website trying to talk myself into buying new boots even though my old ones are perfectly fine. i dont know why i do it but some of them are just so pretty.

Seriously, this is a sickness.

At one point I had 8 pair of the same Predators just different colorways, at $200/pair.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

hughsieblingwish posted:

I have these, which I recently got after upgrading my shin guards that I'd had for about a decade. I think they're fantastic. They're extremely light weight, and the ankle protection is top notch.

I'm a defender, so I'm often going extremely hard onto 50/50 balls where protection is important. I have to say I don't feel a thing even when making very hard contact with another player.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

the posted:

I have these, which I recently got after upgrading my shin guards that I'd had for about a decade. I think they're fantastic. They're extremely light weight, and the ankle protection is top notch.

I'm a defender, so I'm often going extremely hard onto 50/50 balls where protection is important. I have to say I don't feel a thing even when making very hard contact with another player.

My shin guards are Youth Smalls, I think they're 5 inches long.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

the posted:

I have the same ones. They're quite comfortable, and Im glad for the ankle protection now that Im slower and not as agile. I used to wear the tiny ones that covered half of your shin when I played in high school, but I was able to dodge a lot more hard hits, so I didn't need the extra protection. If I ever get back to being as quick as I used to be, I'll probably switch back.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Shrapnac posted:

Seriously, this is a sickness.

At one point I had 8 pair of the same Predators just different colorways, at $200/pair.

i copped 2 pairs of the absolutes at like 120 a pop, theyre both great and still are in working order. studs are totally worn down and the gold pair i have (i know, but it was because of zidane) are almost ripping at the toe but i still play in them.

i also have a pair of puma 1.06ks around somewhere they were great. i've played in 3 different countries with htose boots so i'd like to find em and keep em or at least wear em til they bust or something.

Kommienzuspadt fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 27, 2010

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Kommienzuspadt posted:

i copped 2 pairs of the absolutes at like 120 a pop, theyre both great and still are in working order. studs are totally worn down and the gold pair i have (i know, but it was because of zidane) are almost ripping at the toe.

i also have a pair of puma 1.06ks around somewhere they were great. i've played in 3 different countries with htose boots so i'd like to find em and keep em or at least wear em til they bust or something.

Always own two pairs; one for training (calf skin) one for games (kangaroo).

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Suqit posted:

Always own two pairs; one for training (calf skin) one for games (kangaroo).

i just buy two pairs of kangaroo because i like training in what i play in, then rotate them so none of them break down too fast. that's how i've had these 3 pairs last me almost as many years.

TinkerBell
Dec 4, 2002
I'm on a pitch 6-7 times a week so I go through boots like it's going out of style, specially since most of these sessions are on turf. They last about 6 months average before I need to replace them.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

TinkerBell posted:

I'm on a pitch 6-7 times a week so I go through boots like it's going out of style, specially since most of these sessions are on turf. They last about 6 months average before I need to replace them.

i wish i got that much playing time these days :sigh: also i play pretty much exclusively indoor now so i'm not using them too much. indoor shoes last much longer than cleats i find.

TinkerBell
Dec 4, 2002

Kommienzuspadt posted:

i wish i got that much playing time these days :sigh: also i play pretty much exclusively indoor now so i'm not using them too much. indoor shoes last much longer than cleats i find.

To be fair, most of that is coaching, but still, I get into pretty much all the sessions I'm running. It's easier to teach by showing...

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

TinkerBell posted:

I've got three pairs of these. :D

Jealous! I'm still rocking the Adipure I's in white/royal...thinking about getting the III's in white/gold.

As for shinguards, I wear the same pair of moldable Nike's I've worn since high school. Ankle guards are for girls.

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....
I actually changed from the ankle ones to the small shin ones.

I did like the ankle ones because they felt as though they were giving me more support and I have a dodgy ankle at the best of times.

I just fancied trying the shin ones and they definitely give you more freedom, it almost feels as though you can move around the pitch a lot easier.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I play with a pair of Adidas shinpads older than some of you posters. They have useless ankle protectors as the little plastic bits have hosed off from where they should be. Need a new pair for hockey and another new pair for football :negative:

Spent ages designing a sweet NikeID pair of boots. Really tempted...

TinkerBell posted:

You need 3 pairs playing this often. And seriously wearing out boots on grass? Rotate pairs, keep them clean, don't walk along concrete wearing them and get some decent insoles. Should last ages.

the posted:

Well, I'd love to but slide tackling and board checking will land you quickly in the books at this facility.

Don't check people. But pop out an amazing slide tackle in the first few minutes and put them in their place.

Bling Bling
Jun 9, 2001
Women are bitches since they won't fuck me.
I was playing indoor 6v6 a couple years back; and my team was losing by a single goal late into the 2nd half. We'd all pushed forward to try to grab the equalizer when the other team grabbed possession and started to counterattack. I put my head down and sprinted from the other team's 6 all the way back to our own area, catching up with the ball, which had been passed twice to reach a forward in alone on our keeper. Just as I got close, he wound his leg back to blast the ball past the keeper, ending our hopes of winning. So i slid in front of him. Only one-footed, and not close to his legs or anything, but in the way of the shot, which smashed off my calf and away.

Only problem was slide-tackling wasn't allowed and the ref said i was in the penalty area at the time, so he awarded the other team a penalty kick. Blasted in and we ended up losing. But i was still proud of myself for hustle and what was a pretty good block, even if it didn't help the team at all. :smith:

Just started playing again a few weeks ago after a couple years off. Winded after 30 seconds of loving jogging, me.

Rizzo Crackers
Oct 11, 2009

Like a midget at a urinal, I was gonna have to keep on my toes.
I havn't played since uni....now i'm more of a benchwarmer.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

identikit posted:

Don't check people. But pop out an amazing slide tackle in the first few minutes and put them in their place.

No I mean that slide tackling is explicitly against the rules.

hughsieblingwish
Sep 1, 2004

:love: Colly

Can anyone keep at a decent level? I've been drafted in by a friends futsal team to play on a weekly basis. I think I'm decent enough at the basics - standing on a good angle, coming out quickly in a one on one and getting out and dominating my area but a lot of the time I get beaten I feel like I'm too upright or something. Any tips?

Also, sneaky tip I've been trying out. If you're ever facing a penalty in 5 a side, stand a few inches to one side of center and most of the time the guy taking the spot kick will shoot at the more open side. I've stopped 4 out of 5 penalty's I've had to face this way and got my hands on the one i missed.

Gaemblor
Jun 19, 2002

Sheldon Brown - Better than you think!
For low and hard shots close to your body don't be afraid to stick a foot out to stop them. There's little chance of you controlling where the ball rebounds to but it's much quicker than diving down with your hands

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Gaemblor posted:

For low and hard shots close to your body don't be afraid to stick a foot out to stop them. There's little chance of you controlling where the ball rebounds to but it's much quicker than diving down with your hands

Also, you're better positioned to deal with the rebound.

Pro tip: knock someone over as soon as possible. It'll make controlling your area that much easier.

Biggy_
Jan 17, 2006

boom boom boom let me hear you say bale BALE
God drat outdoor football. My 5aside team won the 3rd division last season, now we're on course to win the 2nd, but after this season I'm losing 2-3 players to outdoor :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

hughsieblingwish posted:

Can anyone keep at a decent level? I've been drafted in by a friends futsal team to play on a weekly basis. I think I'm decent enough at the basics - standing on a good angle, coming out quickly in a one on one and getting out and dominating my area but a lot of the time I get beaten I feel like I'm too upright or something. Any tips?

Also, sneaky tip I've been trying out. If you're ever facing a penalty in 5 a side, stand a few inches to one side of center and most of the time the guy taking the spot kick will shoot at the more open side. I've stopped 4 out of 5 penalty's I've had to face this way and got my hands on the one i missed.

I mostly play 11 a side, so results may vary, but:

Be confident. If you're worrying about conceding, you're going to concede. Don't be afraid to give your team a good bollocking if they leave you exposed either, If you think your team is too vulnerable to a counter attack, let them know it.

5 aside is very fluid also, don't be afraid to get an attack rolling by sending the ball out as soon as you have it. Pepe Reina is very good at this for example. You can see the entire pitch, use it to your advantage.