Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Jabs posted:

How about your Virago? $0 seems like a pretty good deal to me, and she'll know where to find the PO when poo poo goes wrong.

It's perhaps a little heavy, maybe, but she'll adapt, I'm sure.

Yeah, that's kind of the plan for now. I mean, there are worse bikes to learn on, and I can't get all :smug: "This is too much bike for you to learn on", as I did and I turned out okay. The ultra-low seat high is confidence inspiring, but we'll see what she thinks once she's through the MSF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronW
Apr 16, 2007

Why yes, I HAVE seen uhaul.jpg
Anything wrong with buying one of these to putt-putt around on and maybe do a little offroading with?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BaronW posted:

Anything wrong with buying one of these to putt-putt around on and maybe do a little offroading with?
I rode one in my MSF class. It seemed perfectly fine, and I'm pretty sure it's in that category with the DRZ in being a long-running model. I'd say go for it if you're not hitting highways, except that the TW200 exists so you should get one of those instead unless you don't fit since I think the DR is a bit bigger.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Endless Mike posted:

I rode one in my MSF class. It seemed perfectly fine, and I'm pretty sure it's in that category with the DRZ in being a long-running model. I'd say go for it if you're not hitting highways, except that the TW200 exists so you should get one of those instead unless you don't fit since I think the DR is a bit bigger.

That's an awesome bike. I didn't think anyone was still making fat-tire dual sports.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
They also have a huge cult following. I imagine it sucks rear end on the highway, though.

Dual sports seem like an awful bike for MSF - the high seat height hardly inspires confidence.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
I would be an idiot if I didn't jump on this, right?
Doubly so considering that I could steal the battery out of Jendywo's XS400 and likely ride it home?
(plan: Sell/part out the R1100RS, Ride this for a few months to get some more miles under my belt while I save for PlasticSun's F650GS, sell thsi for (likely) more than I paid for it.)

quote:

1982 SR250:
It easily gets over 50 MPG, probably closer to 75. I've had it a few years and have been busy riding my dirt bike so it's been sitting in storage for the past year. I have a clean and clear Colorado title waiting for you! It runs good, but needs a few quick fixes. Needs a new battery, and will probably need to lube the speedo cable otherwise it will squeal a bit. The front fork seals need some attention too. The tires work great and have good life left, but they are showing their age. I have a bunch of extra stuff for it, like fairing hardware etc.. The tank is dented on the right side where the Yamaha emblem was; I still have the emblem. It is sold as-is. $500 and I will consider offers.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Sounds good to me. Will probably need new fuel, carbs cleaned, and new tires at least. Check the current tires for cracks. Otherwise this looks like a steal for the condition it's in.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Jabs posted:

Doubly so considering that I could steal the battery out of Jendywo's XS400 and likely ride it home?
(plan: Sell/part out the R1100RS, Ride this for a few months to get some more miles under my belt while I save for PlasticSun's F650GS, sell thsi for (likely) more than I paid for it.)

If it runs when you're there trying it out I'd be all over it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

hayden. posted:

They also have a huge cult following. I imagine it sucks rear end on the highway, though.

Dual sports seem like an awful bike for MSF - the high seat height hardly inspires confidence.

I took my MSF on a dual sport, because I found it more comfortable and tossable than the 250 street cruisers everyone else was on. Also, it wasn't totally beat to poo poo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Friend just picked this one up for pretty cheap. Wouldn't tell me how much, it was on CL for $3,000, probably paid closer to $2,000.

Other side :(

Not that bad of damage though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
drat, that's a steal...Damage doesn't look bad at all, maybe some fairings, but it looks essentially rideable. It's one of the earlier models, but still...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I took my MSF on a dual sport, because I found it more comfortable and tossable than the 250 street cruisers everyone else was on. Also, it wasn't totally beat to poo poo.

Yeah, same here. The little Rebels an such were not comfortable for 6'1" me, while I could comfortably sit on the DR200.

BaronW
Apr 16, 2007

Why yes, I HAVE seen uhaul.jpg

Endless Mike posted:

I was also looking at the TW200 - which would be better for on-road comfort? Also I'm 6'3" so the DR may be a better fit (haven't tried sitting on one yet).

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I have a friend who's thinking of selling his 2002 Ninja ZX6R with 5k miles. He said he'd be selling it for $5k. Is this a fair price?

He said he replaced spark plugs, cleaned the carburetor, changed oil, got a new battery, and gave it a brand new rear tire. Looks to be in generally good shape.

My '02 EX250 with 7k miles was $1,300 so I'm thinking the price is particularly high. What would a good price be?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Considering what 5k will get you in todays bike market, that seems quite high.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Jabs posted:

I had an XT250, the dual sport version with that motor, and know someone with an SR500. They are great bikes, and the chrome especially on that looks fantastic. Go for it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

the walkin dude posted:

I have a friend who's thinking of selling his 2002 Ninja ZX6R with 5k miles. He said he'd be selling it for $5k. Is this a fair price?

He said he replaced spark plugs, cleaned the carburetor, changed oil, got a new battery, and gave it a brand new rear tire. Looks to be in generally good shape.

My '02 EX250 with 7k miles was $1,300 so I'm thinking the price is particularly high. What would a good price be?

That's absurdly high, I'm selling a 2006 ZX6R with a salvage title and 15k on it for 3500$. I'd say no more than 3k, he's not going to like that, but it's what the bike is actually worth.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

the walkin dude posted:

Why not ask for 10k? He's going to have come down to around 3k if he actually wants to sell it. That was the last year of a four year run, meaning that bike was designed in 1997. And you know how all 600s are the same yada yada yada? The 1998-2002 ZX6R handles about as well as an SV650, not nearly as well as a modern supersport should. (I own one, a 2002 I payed 3k for two years ago) You can pick up a low mileage 2007 supersport for $5K. He'll be lucky if he gets $3k for it.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
That is kind of one thing that surprises me about the sport bike market, even though the newer models are somehow more amazing than previous generations, the previous generation sport bikes still have high asking prices which confuses me, I mean I figure new features, new engines, frame, lighter weight, etc should mean that older slightly dated ( though still very fast ) should drop a bit. Or people that sell their 2-3 year old low mileage bikes for near the msrp of a new updated version without any regard to their depreciation.

Well I guess California's bike inflation and probably silly people who took out ridicious loan terms for bikes are to blame.
Also CBRs tend to be more expensive than others, do they tend to hold their value better than the other big 3?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

the walkin dude posted:

He's high. I paid about that for my latest bike, and you could buy my 2005 ZX6R 636 with 5,500 miles for $4,500.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

infraboy posted:

That is kind of one thing that surprises me about the sport bike market, even though the newer models are somehow more amazing than previous generations, the previous generation sport bikes still have high asking prices which confuses me, I mean I figure new features, new engines, frame, lighter weight, etc should mean that older slightly dated ( though still very fast ) should drop a bit. Or people that sell their 2-3 year old low mileage bikes for near the msrp of a new updated version without any regard to their depreciation.

Well I guess California's bike inflation and probably silly people who took out ridicious loan terms for bikes are to blame.
Also CBRs tend to be more expensive than others, do they tend to hold their value better than the other big 3?

It's mostly retarded sellers. I saw a guy who listed a minorly damaged 09 600RR for ~9k...he ended up selling it for 5500$. Obviously, with CL there's nothing to lose in listing a motorcycle for way more than a reasonable price.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

BaronW posted:

I was also looking at the TW200 - which would be better for on-road comfort? Also I'm 6'3" so the DR may be a better fit (haven't tried sitting on one yet).

I honestly don't know for sure but would bet a lot that the DRZ is much better, largely because it's twice the engine size (and I'm assuming a fair bit more powerful). Neither of them are very good highway bikes though. Maybe look at a KLR if that's what you want.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Hey guys, it's been awhile since I posted in the Cycle forums. Anyway, I'm thinking of selling my Kawasaki Police 1000 because I don't have time to tinker with both it and my 77 CB750K.

Anyone know anything about Kawasaki Versys?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/1574891914.html

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hayden. posted:

I honestly don't know for sure but would bet a lot that the DRZ is much better, largely because it's twice the engine size (and I'm assuming a fair bit more powerful). Neither of them are very good highway bikes though. Maybe look at a KLR if that's what you want.
This is all true except that he linked to a DR200SE not a DRZ400S.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Crayvex posted:

Hey guys, it's been awhile since I posted in the Cycle forums. Anyway, I'm thinking of selling my Kawasaki Police 1000 because I don't have time to tinker with both it and my 77 CB750K.

Basically a 650R with a more upright position, isn't it? Great reviews from what I hear.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Crayvex posted:

Good bikes, solid engines, rave reviews as one of the few real middleweight standards that we get. Kind of like the SV in that it's a bike that can do it all.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1575336972.html

Opinions on this? Looks pretty good for the price and wont rape my insurance surprisingly.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

This is all true except that he linked to a DR200SE not a DRZ400S.

Whoops

Bob Morales posted:

Basically a 650R with a more upright position, isn't it? Great reviews from what I hear.

It's almost this exactly. It's basically a 650R that looks a little different and has longer suspension travel. Extremely similar bikes, but yes the Versys got extremely good reviews and even won a few "bike of the year" awards. The 650R motor is fun, I rode one for about 10,000 miles, but also found myself wishing it had about 20-30 more horsepower for a sportbike. I bet the engine is perfect for the Versys though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

infraboy posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1575336972.html

Opinions on this? Looks pretty good for the price and wont rape my insurance surprisingly.

Looks like a good deal, those were pretty popular back in the day. I'd go look at it, put some cash in the guy's hand, and take it for a test spin, if you like it, buy it.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Wow, that Versys got snapped up within a couple of hours of being posted. drat! Are there any other similar bikes out there that have an upright riding position with sexy sportbike styling? I have budget of $5k or so.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
FZ6, ninja 650r, sv650, to name a few, assuming you're looking for a middleweightish bike

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

You can also put risers on regular sport bikes, along with bigger windscreens and get a similar effect.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

What about a 2002 Yamaha R6 with 3,033 miles. It looks brand new. Owner is asking $3200.

Crayvex fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 29, 2010

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Crayvex posted:

What about a 2002 Yamaha R6 with 3,033 miles. It looks brand new. Owner is asking $3200.

I would buy it. Those things are awesome.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Crayvex posted:

Not going to fit the upright seating position you mentioned but they are pretty fun bikes. Could find some risers and put handlebars on it if you wanted to get the upright position instead of the sportbike tuck.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

For that price, I'll learn to love the position or get some risers at a later date. Negotiations with the buyer have begun. I love buying bikes in Michigan in the winter. Now I have to find a buyer for KZ. The wife isn't going to like three bikes in the garage.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Check for second gear issues on any R1/R6, they love popping out of gear under full throttle.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Check for second gear issues on any R1/R6, they love popping out of gear under full throttle.

I think it's actually only on the 99-02 models, as they used only a gear with 3 engagement dogs for 2nd. Which is really, really stupid. The later models had 5 or 6. But I don't recall which year they updated the transmission on...

Edit:
http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/r6-maintenance-technical/154859-99-02-2nd-gear-fix-03-05-gears.html

Updated in 03. So be very, very careful with that.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 29, 2010

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Hmmm, how serious of an issue is it? The bike is an 02 and hardly ridden. (3K miles) I can't imagine these bikes were just falling out of gear for three years before the designed were improved. It's a Yamaha not a Toyota!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Crayvex posted:

Hmmm, how serious of an issue is it? The bike is an 02 and hardly ridden. (3K miles) I can't imagine these bikes were just falling out of gear for three years before the designed were improved. It's a Yamaha not a Toyota!

I've seen bikes with 5 dogs with 2nd gear issues in under 3k because the owner didn't know how to shift. They work ok if you know how to shift, it's just that most people don't have the slightest clue how to shift properly, and as a result they rip the relatively fragile transmission to shreds. R6s tend to see a lot of abuse.