Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
Here is a hilarious end to the story of the clunk. What I had always assumed was some bitchy suspension component, because of when it happened and how loud it was, turned out to be nothing more than that black plastic mud guard or whatever they stick in the wheel well.

Being that I'm an incredible rear end in a top hat I forgot to screw that back in when I replaced a fog bulb and the car ran over itself and ripped that plastic thing right out as I was leaving my driveway. The plastic thing is busted and saggy now, but the clunk is completely gone. Hooray?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

IOwnCalculus posted:

Can you lock it with a second key after you get out and close the door?

No. I thought about doing this today and realized that it unlocks every door automatically when any door is opened with the motor running. You can only use the mechanical lock on the drivers side door.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

So I installed the MS CAI for my car today and I must say I can feel a bit more grunt down low. Now I just need to befriend someone with access to a dyno so I can see what kind of numbers the car is putting out.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Bovine Delight posted:

So I installed the MS CAI for my car today and I must say I can feel a bit more grunt down low. Now I just need to befriend someone with access to a dyno so I can see what kind of numbers the car is putting out.

Getting any CELs or fuel cut? What's the ambient temp like where you live? Is it a new model or one of the older ones?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kynetx posted:

Getting any CELs or fuel cut? What's the ambient temp like where you live? Is it a new model or one of the older ones?

No CEL or anything else yet. Here in Texas, usually pretty loving hot in the summer but right now we're all over the place. 30's to 60's is probably pretty average. And it's a 2008.5 GT in Black.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Sorry, meant new or old model of CAI?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kynetx posted:

Sorry, meant new or old model of CAI?

Oh, duh. It's the new one. I heard something about the old one being discontinued, but not sure what the reason was?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Isn't the only difference the inclusion of the airflow straightener in the new one? I added it to my old one (came on my car) when I found out about the issues, as a preventative measure.

Saturday, I did the front brakes. loving car fought me every step of the way, it took five hours to do since I spent so long hammering the old rotors off and trying to break the caliper bracket bolts loose. Broke a cheapie 17mm socket, but found a SnapOn trim removal tool that was left in the car apparently, so I still ended up ahead on tools. Went with generic blank rotors (Centric?) and Hawk HPS pads. There is a noticeable decrease in initial bite with the HPS pads compared to OEM, but once you adjust to it you don't notice. Hopefully the claims about significantly less dust than OEM are true.

Also, had it aligned today, and finally got the Hankook RS2s from TireRack's closeout installed. So far so good, though I haven't had an opportunity to flog it much. According to the butt dyno, the RE050As (which were wearing hard on the inside, and were near bald there) were losing traction up most of the onramps here in first and sometimes second gear at WOT...I haven't made the RS2s so much as hiccup yet.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Has anyone successfully seafomed their MS3? Anything I need to watch out for?

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
I just brought home a black 2010 Mazdaspeed3 and I love it. I am replacing my 2003 Ford Focus ZX5 (which is still perfectly fine, I just really wanted something faster). This car is a lot nicer than what I'm used to and I can already tell it's a lot faster.

I do have one problem: I live in Edmonton, Canada. We still have a lot of snow and it's relatively cold out. Right now I'm still rollin on the stock tires - which for most roads is just fine (for now) but lesser traveled roads (like my street) are proving to be a challenge to keep the car moving forwards.

Stock tires are 225/40R18 and I think they're trying to be all seasons but they aren't doing so well. Sooo, first order of business is finding some winter rubber (original plan was to ride out the last month or two of winter).

Will a 16" wheel fit over the front brakes or will I have to go to a 17"? This is the first time I've had to buy new wheels and tires for winter so I'm in new territory here. I put some cheapo winters from Canadian Tire on my Focus for under $550 but I'm guessing I won't get off that cheaply here.

I'd like to get some cheap steel rims and to figure out what size of tire will be closest to the stock diameter.

It looks so happy! (my hosting)

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The new styling is really growing on me. I still prefer the old one, but I don't hate this one like I used to.

Unrelated: I have an 06 MS6 GT with the fancy auto-dimming mirror, but it seems like it refuses to auto-dim unless someone is shining a loving lighthouse into the back of my car. I looked in the manual but, strangely, there is no mention of the mirror upgrade in it anywhere. It has two buttons; the button on the right turns off the compass, and when you hold it down it displays some tiny text that I can't read. The left button turns on and off a green light on the mirror, but I have no idea what that light does. In addition, when held down this one displays a different but equally tiny bit of text. What do these buttons do and is there a way I can make the dimmer actually work worth a poo poo?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is it actually a Mazda OEM mirror, or was it an aftermarket mirror installed by a dealer? If the manual has no mention of it I'd lean towards the latter.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The green light is supposed to mean the auto-dimming is active. Check the two light sensors to make sure they're clean. They're on the front and back of the mirror itself. Mazda has an OEM kit for most of its cars, but those mirrors are really all made by the same company.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

I think the lack of camaraderie between Mazda owners is due to the fear that if they gather together in one place a tornado will touch down or a meteorite will strike and take out all of their cars.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

ScaryFast posted:

I think the lack of camaraderie between Mazda owners is due to the fear that if they gather together in one place a tornado will touch down or a meteorite will strike and take out all of their cars.

Is there the same rotary vs reciprocating pistons rift in the Mazda community as the air vs water-cooled in the VW community?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Shoota_McG posted:

Will a 16" wheel fit over the front brakes or will I have to go to a 17"? This is the first time I've had to buy new wheels and tires for winter so I'm in new territory here. I put some cheapo winters from Canadian Tire on my Focus for under $550 but I'm guessing I won't get off that cheaply here.

Pretty sure the '10s need 17s, 16s just barely clear on the 1st gen.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

Syd posted:

Pretty sure the '10s need 17s, 16s just barely clear on the 1st gen.

Fair enough. I don't know a whole lot about wheels but what offset do I need and how much can I deviate? The place I can get a discount on wheels/tires has two different universal steel wheels (as well as a few 16" Mazda but nothing bigger).

They have:
17x6.5 71.5 bore 5x114.3 offset 39
17x7 71.5 bore 5x114.3 offset 22

I'd like to have a separate set of rims for winter tires but I just priced out some 225/45R17 (overall diameter was less than 3mm shorter) winter tires and they're only about $5 cheaper a tire than the 18s.

FlyingPotato
Sep 9, 2003
Fwoomp!
You'll have to go with 17s, 16s won't quite fit. Make sure you get the right offset, I had the wrong one at first and my wheels stuck out about an inch past the fenders.

Sure it looked cool, but I don't want to think about all that gravel against my fenders.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I took out a 2010 Speed3 yesterday for the 3rd loving time in as many weeks. I cry myself to sleep at night because I just can't justify getting rid of my '05 GT hatch when it's so perfectly reliable and economical and still pretty fun.

But all that loving boost... gently caress

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Don't know how I missed this thread. I have an '08 GT in Cosmic Blue, only mods are the old model MS CAI with air straightener and Cobb's shifter weight. Not too many folks have this mod and I really don't get why it got discontinued, the throws (especially into 5th) feel so much better. Nice improvement for such a cheap and easy mod to install.

Just hit 30k miles and taking it to Cobb's store next weekend here in Dallas for the service, they'll do it it far cheaper than any dealer I've called :toot:

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Shoota_McG posted:

I just brought home a black 2010 Mazdaspeed3 and I love it. I am replacing my 2003 Ford Focus ZX5 (which is still perfectly fine, I just really wanted something faster). This car is a lot nicer than what I'm used to and I can already tell it's a lot faster.

I do have one problem: I live in Edmonton, Canada. We still have a lot of snow and it's relatively cold out. Right now I'm still rollin on the stock tires - which for most roads is just fine (for now) but lesser traveled roads (like my street) are proving to be a challenge to keep the car moving forwards.

Stock tires are 225/40R18 and I think they're trying to be all seasons but they aren't doing so well. Sooo, first order of business is finding some winter rubber (original plan was to ride out the last month or two of winter).

I'd like to get some cheap steel rims and to figure out what size of tire will be closest to the stock diameter.

It looks so happy! (my hosting)

Hey Shoota_McG, can you talk about how driving in the MS3 was like in the snow? That is my only concern is having that powerful of a FWD machine in (the little) snow the DC area gets.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

BexGu posted:

Hey Shoota_McG, can you talk about how driving in the MS3 was like in the snow? That is my only concern is having that powerful of a FWD machine in (the little) snow the DC area gets.

From my own experience, the car is a miserable bastard on factory rubber. All that yaw control and traction control are for not when you have a set of RE 050s. I hear that snow tires make it bearable. I was able to get around a little better by disabling DSC and traction control in certain situations. I just got me a set of chains so that it's driveable when we get some snow, assuming we do this year (PNW).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kynetx posted:

From my own experience, the car is a miserable bastard on factory rubber. All that yaw control and traction control are for not when you have a set of RE 050s. I hear that snow tires make it bearable. I was able to get around a little better by disabling DSC and traction control in certain situations. I just got me a set of chains so that it's driveable when we get some snow, assuming we do this year (PNW).

It's been really tame this year! Hell, sunny and 55 degrees?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Kynetx posted:

I would say to put on snow tires, but based on your location and if you get snow is iffy. I put some on my 08 when I had it and it was the best thing I ever did as far as winter driving is concerned. It was way better than my old AWD talon with all seasons. I never got stuck and hardly even spun. Sure I could have if I was retarded and mashed the gas like crazy. But if it gets much below 40 degrees there I would recommend another tire.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

CharlesM posted:

It's been really tame this year! Hell, sunny and 55 degrees?

Pfft. I want some drat snow. Based on your location, can I assume you work for MS or a company that does? If so, there is a sweet silver MS6 I sometimes see in the mornings coming into Redmond. Is it yours?

Kynetx fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 27, 2010

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
No and no, I just have a Mazda 3. I want some snow too, I have nice tires on and want to try them. :(

lmnt
Dec 20, 2004
winky shot ;]

Kynetx posted:

Chiming in as well: ('10 MS3)

The stock tires are an absolute nightmare in any appreciable snowfall. I have gotten stuck once in a driveway and almost gotten stuck on a hill. You have to be extremely careful with the stock tires. The DSC really impedes you in snowy conditions as it cuts the hell out of the throttle when you need it. I know winter tires would make it just like any other FWD with winter tires -- the power is very controllable.

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.
Is there a final verdict on what holding the DSC button down during ignition does?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Well, that was annoying.

Went to the pharmacy on my way to run some errands, less than a mile to get there. Hop in after I finish shopping, fire up the car, and try to back out of the space, and I realize after a few failed attempts that the car isn't giving me any response on the throttle unless I mash it, and has a CEL set. I limp it back home (won't go over about 3000RPM) and just plugged in a computer to find out it's set P2119 - apparently the throttle body doesn't know what the gently caress. I just fired it up again and the car is responding / running normally.

Anyone know if this is covered under the powertrain warranty?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Battle Cattle posted:

Is there a final verdict on what holding the DSC button down during ignition does?

A tap while running turns off the DSC - basically an anti-yaw function. Holding it while starting disables DSC and traction control. You are now free to spin the front tires and fishtail around corners.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Kynetx posted:

A tap while running turns off the DSC - basically an anti-yaw function. Holding it while starting disables DSC and traction control. You are now free to spin the front tires and fishtail around corners.

Is this true of MS6s too?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

CombatWombat posted:

Is this true of MS6s too?

Couldn't find anything on Google without getting stupid streetlight drag-racing stories.
One way to find out would be to see if you can induce and maintain wheelspin on wet pavement. That could be tough with AWD though.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

BexGu posted:

With traction on, it seemed perfectly fine and I had no idea the factory rubber would be so horrible until I tried to get out of my driveway. All the snow on my street is tightly packed and very slippery, the tires wouldn't grab it at all.

Once I was moving though, it was alright. Not great but the traction kept the car moving in the right direction.

I am having a real time trying to find out what wheels are going to fit. The brakes are the same as the old Speed3 but the suspension is different so nobody (read: local shops, local Mazda dealers and even TireRack) can tell me what will fit for sure.

So I ordered a single 16x6.5 55mm offset wheel that I am told would fit on an 09 Speed3 no problem, gonna give it a test fit tomorrow. If that goes good I'll have proper winter rubber on it by Thursday (Continental ExtremeWinterContact 205/60R16). I don't think the car will be too bad for winter but I'll post impressions after; I haven't driven it much since it can be a two person job to get it onto the street.

Animedork2075
Aug 31, 2005

Burning Tires with Burning Spirit!
:kamina:

Kynetx posted:

I never had any issues being able to do retardedly long burn outs, and spinning my car out by just tapping the DSC button in my car. Was this a year specific thing?

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Can I make an admission in here?

I like my G8 ok, but I am having huge buyer's remorse right now. I want my Speed6 back :(

If I could get even close to what I own on my G8 if I sold it, I'd buy another Speed6 tomorrow.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That kinda bums me out, a G8 / GTO / some hypothetical future GM boat with a big loving V8 is the kind of car I could see replacing the MS3 with in a decade when I finally get bored with it.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Don't get the wrong, the G8 is an absolute blast. When the weather is good. It really sucks in winter weather, and I don't live in an area that gets enough snow/ice to warrant snow tires. I'm sure my mind will change again once the roads thaw out :)

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

I'm sure my mind will change again once the roads thaw out :)

Or within 6 months of getting a Speed6 again. You fickle bitch. SURE... you just stroll in here, thinking we'll take you back. Ha! You disgust me. Clean yourself up and leave.

Kinda jealous about your G8 though...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I seem to have developed a problem. My 2.3 N/A with 5 speed manual has suddenly become kinda difficult to get out of first gear, and maybe harder to get into second. It feels like it takes a lot of force, but if I let out the clutch and push it in again it can get easier. This just happened tonight as I was driving home from the grocery store so I haven't had a lot of time to test it. Any ideas? Clutch? Syncros?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sounds like a hydraulic problem. Check your clutch master reservoir and see if the fluid is low.