Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

Watommi posted:

When I ride for longer than, say, 45 minutes, I get back pain.

Definitely try out new bars. And definitely try to adjust your general posture, it will really make you feel better about yourself and healthier overall.

And for all those people with minor back pains and problems, do this:

I know it looks crazy, and it feels weird at first, but I credit this exercise with preventing me from suffering the fate of my entire family when it comes to back pain. Also, it really helped reduce fatigue on long rides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Bob Morales posted:

Weak ab muscles? Do situps and see if that helps. You might want to look into helibars or something.

god you people are weird.

I'm 6'6", I get pain in the same spot because tiny jackasses made your bike and made it too short. Depending on what you can get, handlebars positioned farther forward maybe by making a piece to extend the forks, or a seat designed for your butt to rest between where the 'normal' seat and the passenger seat would be on a angry little dwarf.

I had to get a bike over 1000 ccs to find a cruiser that I could crank the bars over without hitting my knees. HAD TO HAD TO HAD TO. It wasn't an option. For instance, there's no such thing as handlebar extensions.

had to.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I'm 6'6", I get pain in the same spot because tiny jackasses made your bike and made it too short. Depending on what you can get, handlebars positioned farther forward maybe by making a piece to extend the forks, or a seat designed for your butt to rest between where the 'normal' seat and the passenger seat would be on a angry little dwarf.

I had to get a bike over 1000 ccs to find a cruiser that I could crank the bars over without hitting my knees. HAD TO HAD TO HAD TO. It wasn't an option. For instance, there's no such thing as handlebar extensions.

had to.

Couldn't you just get custom bars made? Or bend them yourself?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Z3n posted:

Couldn't you just get custom bars made? Or bend them yourself?

HAD TO

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

had to.

What about risers?

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

where the passenger seat would be on a angry little dwarf.

I'm really having fun imagining an angry little dwarf with a passenger seat strapped to his back.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

What about risers?

It's rude to answer for others but I think "1000cc HAD TO HAD TO" is an appropriate answer here as well.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

HAD TO

I've got this hilarious mental image of a guy pulling the OJ glove trick. "Look, salesperson, MY KNEES HIT. SHOW ME THE BIG BOY BIKES!"

:v:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Ola posted:

It's rude to answer for others but I think "1000cc HAD TO HAD TO" is an appropriate answer here as well.

you get me, bro.

Cipher
Jul 12, 2005
and/or Poverty
So last season was my first time riding, I bought a v-star 650 and had a great time. I put the bike down for the winter at the start of December. I parked the bike in my backyard, put it up on blocks, put stabil in the gas tank, disconnected the battery, then put the cover on.

When i went to restart the bike today, my turn-signals on the left side of the bike flash really quickly, the back right light doesn't come on at all, and the front right light works normally. when I turn the signals on it makes a very loud clicking sound every time the lights flash on.

When i first started up the bike I could smell something almost burning like melting plastic. I shut it off right away. I'm a bit of a newbie so I'm at a loss for what to do exactly. I thought that the bulb might be burned out, but would that cause the other signals to flash twice as fast like that?
Any help here would be much appreciated cuz I would love to get back on the road asap!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Have you checked that mice and stuff haven't been living on your wiring?

Cipher
Jul 12, 2005
and/or Poverty

Z3n posted:

Have you checked that mice and stuff haven't been living on your wiring?

Yeah I just went over it with a flashlight checking for anything wierd and it looks clean, just like it did when I left it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Alright, you are correct in that the bulb being burned out will make it blink twice as fast, so replace that and you'll fix issue #1. Have you checked that you didn't get a plastic bag or anything stuck up against the exhaust that caused that burning smell?

Cipher
Jul 12, 2005
and/or Poverty

Z3n posted:

Alright, you are correct in that the bulb being burned out will make it blink twice as fast, so replace that and you'll fix issue #1. Have you checked that you didn't get a plastic bag or anything stuck up against the exhaust that caused that burning smell?

Just got the signals working again, was a burned out light bulb. The smell however I am still not so sure about, I am going to run it for a bit and see if i can pinpoint a source or something.
Thanks for your help Z3N you made my first newbie troubleshooting experience a little easier on me :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Cipher posted:

Just got the signals working again, was a burned out light bulb. The smell however I am still not so sure about, I am going to run it for a bit and see if i can pinpoint a source or something.
Thanks for your help Z3N you made my first newbie troubleshooting experience a little easier on me :)

Ha, no problem. I'd also check the oil, coolant, and if you want to be really paranoid, the charging system.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Another bulb-related question here. Today, both my front and rear brake levers stopped illuminating the rear brake light. It's lit, it just won't go into "I'm braking" mode.

Obviously another stupid wiring problem, but I couldn't see any issues upon first inspection. Anything I should check beyond the rear bulb wiring connector?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's a dual filament bulb, so you can burn out the brighter filament. Do you have one light in the braking assembly or 2?

Check the wires at the rear brake connector. You should have a ground, a 12v lead that is hot all the time, and one that goes hot when you pull the lever/push down on the rear brake. If it's going hot but the bulb isn't lighting, bad bulb. If it's not going hot, check the switches. Having them both fail at once is rare to the point of absurdity, so I'd be inclined to say you burned out your bulb. Could also be a broken connection somewhere from the switch to the rear connector too.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Z3n posted:

It's a dual filament bulb, so you can burn out the brighter filament. Do you have one light in the braking assembly or 2?

Check the wires at the rear brake connector. You should have a ground, a 12v lead that is hot all the time, and one that goes hot when you pull the lever/push down on the rear brake. If it's going hot but the bulb isn't lighting, bad bulb. If it's not going hot, check the switches. Having them both fail at once is rare to the point of absurdity, so I'd be inclined to say you burned out your bulb. Could also be a broken connection somewhere from the switch to the rear connector too.

Going to have to wait til the morning to really look at it, but it's looking like the bulbs (two in the assembly) burned out. Kind of strange that they burned out at the same time though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AncientTV posted:

Going to have to wait til the morning to really look at it, but it's looking like the bulbs (two in the assembly) burned out. Kind of strange that they burned out at the same time though.

One was probably burned out for a while, and you just didn't notice. Finally the other one went, and bam.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Ah, that would make sense :doh:
I forgot I hadn't replaced these when I got the bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AncientTV posted:

Ah, that would make sense :doh:
I forgot I hadn't replaced these when I got the bike.

On the bright side, now you've truly got the bike of Theseus :haw:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Z3n posted:

On the bright side, now you've truly got the bike of Theseus :haw:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Cycle Asylum > What did you do to your ride today?

Had to replace my VIN number today, IS THIS MY SECOND BIKE NOW?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I'm 6'3" and nothing feels better than being a giant person on a tiny sport bike.

Teus
Dec 25, 2009
the poo poo doesn't end with my bike.
yesterday night I got home and fiddled around with it and left the contact on, now the battery is dead. no lights go on. should I go buy a trickle charger to get it running again?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Tried bump-starting it?

Teus
Dec 25, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Tried bump-starting it?
push starting? not yet
I had an accident and the front brake doesnt disengage, plus there's snow on the road. Probably I'll just try to find starter cables in town, it's something you need anyway

Shemp The Mighty
Sep 16, 2004

Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi
Ok, got the rotor puller for my hawk and went out to pull the rotr and noticed that the crank case has a crack. As far as i can tell there is no oil or anything that goes there. It just covers the rotor and stator. Is this going to be a problem or do I need to start looking for a replacement crank case?

edit - not the crank case, but the cover for it.

Shemp The Mighty fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 30, 2010

Teus
Dec 25, 2009
Well I bought some cheap starter cables, made a small tour and let it idle for 20 minutes. Now it's starting again, problem resolved.

As for my front brakes: they still don't disengage fully, I can hear them scraping the discs when I ride. Never worked on brakes before, never taken them apart and I dont know where they engage exactly. So I can't tell where they are dragging

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Shempt_The_Mighty posted:

Ok, got the rotor puller for my hawk and went out to pull the rotr and noticed that the crank case has a crack. As far as i can tell there is no oil or anything that goes there. It just covers the rotor and stator. Is this going to be a problem or do I need to start looking for a replacement crank case?

Where is the crack? As long as it's not near the bolt and it doesn't leak oil it's probably not a big deal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Do you have a picture of it? I'd consider just smearing some JBWeld on it for additional security, but it's probably not an issue.

Teus posted:

Well I bought some cheap starter cables, made a small tour and let it idle for 20 minutes. Now it's starting again, problem resolved.

As for my front brakes: they still don't disengage fully, I can hear them scraping the discs when I ride. Never worked on brakes before, never taken them apart and I dont know where they engage exactly. So I can't tell where they are dragging

Letting the bike idle for 20 minutes usually doesn't charge the battery, FYI. The bike needs to be ridden.

Some brake drag is normal. If you take it out around the block a few times, do the rotors get hot at all? If yes, then you have a problem, if no, then it's just normal brake drag.

Shemp The Mighty
Sep 16, 2004

Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi
the crack is right through the center of the cover, right through the honda insignia. I think the jb weld is the way to go. nothing to lose, right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

the crack is right through the center of the cover, right through the honda insignia. I think the jb weld is the way to go. nothing to lose, right?

It's not one of those where the insignia is seperate from the cover, is it?

Shemp The Mighty
Sep 16, 2004

Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi

Z3n posted:

It's not one of those where the insignia is seperate from the cover, is it?

nope. One piece.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
Edit: This isn't the What you did to your bike thread!

Sorry.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Is it a vacuum petcock? If it is, you'll be able to blow through it while it's on prime, but not while it's on reserve or on.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
So I think I just hosed up. Hard.

Yesterday I spent the all day taking apart, cleaning, and re-jetting (factory pro) my carbs on my 96 XJ600 Seca II. Now, it won't turn over. Barely a splutter. I think the culprit would be the float bowl height. I know I did absolutely everything to the letter, except when it came to the float bowls. I wasn't entirely sure how to measure them, and what images I could find on the web were painfully small and hard to see.

I ended up tilting them until the float "bobbed", and then measuring from the upper edge of the float bowl up to the top most part of the float. Then I bent the float tangs until the bowl was sitting 6mm above the edge of the float bowl.

Can someone, anyone, please tell me how to properly measure and adjust float height? My bike is my only mode of transportation and until I can get it running again, I'm taking the bus.

Thanks.

EDIT:

I've also just read a little on fuel level height as well. How does one go about measuring that?

And just for reference, here are the specs for the float and fuel levels:
pre:
---------------------------- FLOAT LEVELS ---------------------------- 
U.S. spec: (ALL year U.S. models)6.2~8.2 MM (0.24~0.32 in) 

---------------------------- FUEL LEVELS -----------------------------
U.S. spec: (ALL U.S. models) 4~6 mm BELOW the float chamber line (marked on the outside of carbs) 

ari.gato fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 1, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ari.gato posted:

I ended up tilting them until the float "bobbed", and then measuring from the upper edge of the float bowl up to the top most part of the float. Then I bent the float tangs until the bowl was sitting 6mm above the edge of the float bowl.

Can someone, anyone, please tell me how to properly measure and adjust float height? My bike is my only mode of transportation and until I can get it running again, I'm taking the bus.

Thanks.

EDIT:

I've also just read a little on fuel level height as well. How does one go about measuring that?

And just for reference, here are the specs for the float and fuel levels:
pre:
---------------------------- FLOAT LEVELS ---------------------------- 
U.S. spec: (ALL year U.S. models)6.2~8.2 MM (0.24~0.32 in) 

---------------------------- FUEL LEVELS -----------------------------
U.S. spec: (ALL U.S. models) 4~6 mm BELOW the float chamber line (marked on the outside of carbs) 

Sounds like you did the float heights correctly. Either way, the floats would have to be insanely out of spec to get to the point where the bike wont even sputter.

The fuel level can be measured by attaching a clear hose to the float drain nipple on the bottom of the float bowl, running the hose up the outside of the carb, and opening the float drain screw. The fuel will flow up the hose to the same point that the fuel level is inside the bowl. You then compare the level in the hose to the level marker on the outside of the carb. If the fuel level is below the line, your float height is too far away from the carb body. If the fuel level is above the line, your float height is too close to the body. If its within a few mm, you're probably good enough.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

How long did you crank it? Are you getting fuel in the float bowls? Dumb question but...does it have a vacuum petcock and did you get that line back on?

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
Diagnosis time! This is for an '03 Katana 750. I took all the fairings and the tank off yesterday to see if there was anything obviously wrong. There wasn't, my feeling is that the problem lies in the carbs, but before I go about taking them apart I thought I would get CA's opinion.

When I start the bike after it's been sitting for more than a few days, it is very hard to get started. Will die even on choke, etc. I got it to start by setting it to Prime for a bit. Once it does start, if I roll on the throttle too much at idle it will die. I have to gradually increase the throttle a bit at a time until I can crank the throttle all the way without the bike dying. Usually after I do that it runs fine when I actually go out for a ride. Obviously this isn't a huge issue but I figured that as long as it's winter and I can't ride most of the time I might as well have a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Classic lean symptoms. I'm guessing stemming from both the carb and the petcock? The fact that it runs better on prime is worrying.

When the petcocks fail on the oil-cooled Suzukis they tend to fail in a way that makes the petcock always open, so I'm doubting it straight up failed. Is the vacuum line that runs from the carb manifold to the petcock good? If it has any leaks or anything that is keeping it from holding vacuum it will not let as much fuel through as it should.

On the carb side of things, your pilot circuit is probably gummed up, and the carbs should have a good cleaning regardless. I would troubleshoot the carbs first, get the bike running good on the prime setting, then troubleshoot the petcock.