Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Squizzle posted:

From DDXP's Dark Sun seminar:

Oh gently caress this is going to be incredibly awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

ritorix posted:

Hmm the templar is using a superior implement. And she has +7 to the will attacks, but only +6 to the others. Whats going on there.

The illusionist also has a +7 to hit with a +5 stat mod, and all his attacks are vs will. Both are human so I think both took expertise and a feat for a superior implement that gives +1 vs will.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

PeterWeller posted:

Run something short in a gimmick setting or with a different game. We're probably going to squeeze in a short SWSE campaign between the end of our current FR campaign and when we start playing DS.

Yeah, I recently got Halls of the Mountain King, so I could run that as an in-between.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
So if I read that right, now that I'm not focusing on furiously jerking it over that info bomb, Dark Sun will be a 'proper' setting, meaning it will get more support then the normal "DM book, player book, adventure" we've been seeing?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

shotgunbadger posted:

So if I read that right, now that I'm not focusing on furiously jerking it over that info bomb, Dark Sun will be a 'proper' setting, meaning it will get more support then the normal "DM book, player book, adventure" we've been seeing?

It will also get a purported poo poo-ton of DDI support. No indication that they'll be doing more published stuff for it than the normal three, just that they're changing the three from "DM, player, adventure" to "setting, challenges, adventure" for Athas. Now, they also said that a whole bunch of people in the office worked on Dark Sun because they all love it so much, so I wouldn't be stunned if more came out; for now, the plan still seems to be "three and DDI".

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Which isn't any different than FR and Eberron, right? I know there was a Cormyr article, and I figured that was an ongoing thing.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I know it's way early considering we haven't really gotten a chance to play with the planned defiling system, but I've whipped up a defiling homebrew that I'm going to introduce into my Dark Sun game.

I know that rolling on a table is counter to 4E's design philosophy, but I think it's innocuous enough to not be a big deal. Also, I tried to make the difference in power between a preserver and a defiler pretty stark, and something that should make arcane characters actually want to do it despite the cost.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Okay, once I stopped skimming, actually read it, and realized that you weren't trying to hack in some spell point system in place of the at-will/encounter/daily system, I really liked it. The table is simple enough, and it does give Defilers a nice boost. The only thing I would change is an aesthetic matter. "Mana Pool" doesn't evoke the DS vibe to me. Additionally, you may want to consider adding some sort of Obsidian Orb implement that allows the Defiler to further improve this ability.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

Which isn't any different than FR and Eberron, right? I know there was a Cormyr article, and I figured that was an ongoing thing.
Not to create too much false hope, but: the developers seem a lot more enthusiastic about Dark Sun than they did (or do) about Eberron or Forgotten Realms, so we might see a larger flurry of articles than those two got, especially at first.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

PeterWeller posted:

Okay, once I stopped skimming, actually read it, and realized that you weren't trying to hack in some spell point system in place of the at-will/encounter/daily system, I really liked it. The table is simple enough, and it does give Defilers a nice boost. The only thing I would change is an aesthetic matter. "Mana Pool" doesn't evoke the DS vibe to me. Additionally, you may want to consider adding some sort of Obsidian Orb implement that allows the Defiler to further improve this ability.

Drops of Ichor into the Goblet of Defilement.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

I agree that mana pool is a bad term to use, but I needed something to use for a place holder. Other terms I thought of using were life points, defiling points, and energy points. I'm not particularly fond of those either. This is why I envy all you creative types with your left handed-ness.

Also, this is just the beginning. I do plan on making magic items that enhance or add points to a defiler's bonus pool, but I've got to play around with the numbers to see how powerful it actually is first.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 31, 2010

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Son of a kank! the sun has blasted your brain.

I remember playing the dark sun shattered lands pc game by SSI, and then picking up some of the ad&d 2nd ed books,

A buddy of mine ran a scenario from the books, and we played two lovable half giants, everything was out to kill us, especially the plants.

I think we met our end trying to kill and eat some elven traders, after having our blood sucked by some horrible vine/bush plant that pools all the blood in the middle of itself.

the computer game is probably still the best d&d game I have ever played, even better than bladders gate.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Somebody sack up and run a Dark Sun game here so I can play in it.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Honestly, "Defiling Points", while not particularly elegant, at least has the Dark Sun vibe to it.

Also, Shattered Lands was the best post Gold Box SSI game by far. There were some really evocative landscapes in that game, and for a mid-nineties PC RPG, it looked fantastic.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ManMythLegend posted:

Someone give me a good recommendation for making the grid maps and tokens (tutorial link or whatever), and I'll do it.

FedkaTheConvict
Nov 4, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

In honor of the only 2 games of AD&D I ever played in before my PC was killed, butchered, and consumed for his meat part of me wants to run a real old grognard grimdark 4e Hexcrawl of Athas. PvE skill challenges to find food and water because without sustenance there is no rest and eventually, an inexorable drain of healing surges. Wandering encounters. Starting off with a weapon, armor, a canteen and 40 bits to your name. Running like hell and trying to stay alive in the wastes with the following basic premise:

Androselis, kinsman to Andropinis and Patrician of Balic was looking forward to the arrival of the Celik slave caravans, the advent of which always meant good cheer in the city. To those of Androselis' class Slave Day heralded the replenishment of harems, restocking of labor-pools, and a period of several months when their dictator-lord Andropinis would have one less reason to fall into bad humor.

For Androselis in particular, Slave Day also meant the arrival of his special corvee of gladiators and artisans. It costs money to purchase bonded sentients who are more useful than your average rabble of diseased humans and half-breed outcasts, and Androselis had invested half a year's income on hand-picked servitors. He even accompanied his chief overseer Arduin on the journey to Celik in order to make the choices and the purchases himself.

Or rather, that's what it would have meant had the corvee not inconveniently escaped. Since the Great Agitation, the gentry of Balic has had little sympathy for slave escapes and it would mean a massive loss of face for any Patrician to be known to have lost their chattel. For Arduin and his men, charged with sfaeguarding their master's goods, it would likely also mean that they would be forced to take the place of the slaves they had so carelessly misplaced.

For the escaped members of the corvee, the adrenaline-fueled flight took on a different tone when news filtered back to their hiding place of exactly how angry their ostensible purchaser had become. Not for these fugitives the usual array of punishments: blinding, hobbling, castration, and mangling of the limbs. The word on the street was that Androselis would see them recaptured and turned over to his great-uncle Andropinins alive. No-one was sure what that might entail, but all were certain that they didn't want to find out.

Now it is dusk on the 7th day after gaining freedom, and the corvee of escapees are at the walls of a hinterlands village. By their best estimate, an enraged Arduin -- and his trackers, man-skinners, and crodlu riders -- lag no more than four days behind them. The only thing slowing Arduin in his pursuit is his need to track his quarry.

Maybe the village offers the fugitives a chance for a hot meal and a roof to sleep under, or maybe its inhabitants will seize any chance to earn a monetary award by turning them over. The corvee will not know true ease until they can reach the walls of Tyr or another state willing to shelter them, or until Arduin and his men are fodder for the pterexian vultures. This small town is could be a dangerous chance, but a chance no worse than making one's bed in the desert among the flesh-eating cactuses...

edit now with maps of thoughtgame i'll probably never run:

click for big

FedkaTheConvict fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 1, 2010

FedkaTheConvict
Nov 4, 2009
Unfortunately I'm a lousy novice DM who has no time for a regular maptools game and PbP in 4e is nonideal. :[

FedkaTheConvict fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 1, 2010

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Someone give me a good recommendation for making the grid maps and tokens (tutorial link or whatever), and I'll do it.

Booyah.

I'm making my character sheet now.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
I would be up for some Dark Sun Own as well.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Incidentally I changed the term "mana points" to "devastation points" in my defiling homebrew. I think that pretty much drives the point home.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ManMythLegend posted:

Booyah.

I'm making my character sheet now.

Okay, so is it easy to export the maps from maptools or will I be making lots of screen caps?

I've only seen it from a player's perspective, and should probably read the drat tutorials.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
You just put icons and stuff on the map and screencap it. It's the easiest part of running a game.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Okay, so is it easy to export the maps from maptools or will I be making lots of screen caps?

I've only seen it from a player's perspective, and should probably read the drat tutorials.

I also use photoshop to reduce the file size so I don't blow up waffleimages. Also don't forget to pick up TokenTools as well. It seriously makes token making trained monkey simple.

Honestly, if you aren't going to be using it live you don't really need to learn all that much about all the functionality. It gets even easier if you use another program for map making because then all you have to do is drag it into the background layer and roll.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All right, thanks for the reassurance. I haven't read too much into the back end of maptools.

I'll be back later today.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

In line with my habit of posting everything Dark Sun 4E to both the main 4E thread and this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davethegame/sets/72157623327330580/
Hey, it's the Athas presentation slides, in blurry photograph form! We finally get the seven sentences:
  • The world is a desert.
  • The world is savage; life is brutal and short on Athas.
  • Arcane magic defiles nature and lays waste to the land.
  • Sorcerer-kings rule the cities.
  • The gods of Athas are silent.
  • Deadly and fierce monsters roam the wastes.
  • Familiar races and cultures aren't what you expect.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I mentioned in the 4E thread that Draj and Balic were the only two cities not to get mapped in 2E. I hope the maps are indicative of a greater focus on those two cities, since not-Tikal and not-Rhodes always struck me as underused and really cool in the original material.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I like "The gods of Athas are silent", as it lets them be ambivalent about whether or not Athas, in fact, has any gods. Very clever way to word that.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh, hey. I made a recruitment thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3262046

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
from that GBS thread

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Dark Sun seminar audio is available now.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Squizzle posted:

It will also get a purported poo poo-ton of DDI support. No indication that they'll be doing more published stuff for it than the normal three, just that they're changing the three from "DM, player, adventure" to "setting, challenges, adventure" for Athas. Now, they also said that a whole bunch of people in the office worked on Dark Sun because they all love it so much, so I wouldn't be stunned if more came out; for now, the plan still seems to be "three and DDI".

I was kind of under the impression that their marketing philosophy was to release the campaign settings first, then once they were out there, start working on supplements for them. So after we get Ravenloft, Planescape, and Spelljammer we would start seeing adventures for a specific campaign setting. Or are all the modules now supposed to be handled through DDI?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Nah. I'm pretty sure the plan always was "release a new setting in a three book format every year and support it with DDI stuff until the edition change." You may have got that idea from a lot of early wishful thinking from FR players. There were a lot of people who were sure FR would get splatbooks down the line.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Gr3y posted:

So after we get Ravenloft, Planescape, and Spelljammer we would start seeing adventures for a specific campaign setting.

I haven't been keeping up on Wizards news -- are these all confirmed?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

No. In fact, it's pretty much a given we won't see any of those three. Ravenloft is getting a boardgame (think FFG quality), while Spelljammer and Planescape have basically been rolled into the core "setting". Spelljammers are in AV1, and Sigil gets a nice section in DMG2.

I think we can be fairly certain at this point that the 2011 setting will be something entirely new. Unless it's the 4.5 Forgotten Realms. :v:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

PeterWeller posted:

No. In fact, it's pretty much a given we won't see any of those three. Ravenloft is getting a boardgame (think FFG quality), while Spelljammer and Planescape have basically been rolled into the core "setting". Spelljammers are in AV1, and Sigil gets a nice section in DMG2.

Hasn't Ravenloft all but been incorporated into the Shadowfell?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Maybe. I think Strahd and Barovia got a bit of a write up in the undead splatbook, but I don't really pay attention to those. There are mentions of "Dread Domains" here and there in other stuff.

But this thread is about Dark Sun, not those other crap rear end settings. :v: Has anyone seen what the new map of the Tablelands looks like? I assume it's essentially the same.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

PeterWeller posted:

Maybe. I think Strahd and Barovia got a bit of a write up in the undead splatbook, but I don't really pay attention to those. There are mentions of "Dread Domains" here and there in other stuff.

But this thread is about Dark Sun, not those other crap rear end settings. :v: Has anyone seen what the new map of the Tablelands looks like? I assume it's essentially the same.

Well there have been like two or three Domains of Dread outlined in Dragon (maybe one was in MotP? I forget), so far. They're basically in the Shadowfell, I forget the reasoning as to the existence of them, however, I mean they are caused by the same sort of event that would have caused them in Ravenloft, and a PC themself can take the Darklord Epic Destiny where their immorality is that they are finally claimed by the Shadowfell, trapped in a nightmarish non-world designed by their subconscious, and under their rough control, yet they can never leave.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PeterWeller posted:

The geography is apparently a little more scientific, as in the Ringing Mountains have been expanded so that the Sea of Silt doesn't blow into the Tablelands and bury everything. There hasn't been much word on any major changes.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

I think we can be fairly certain at this point that the 2011 setting will be something entirely new. Unless it's the 4.5 Forgotten Realms. :v:
Woah there! Just because one is getting a board game doesn't mean it's not going to get an actual setting. It may be a trial run to see if the brand still has value, or a test run to see how to incorporate some of the Ravenloft specific checks. While they've all been mentioned so far in some form or another already that may just be a way to tie into 4e's unified cosmology. I think those are the only three TSR properties that WoTC still owns that they can do something with, also they have the advantage of not stepping on the feet of their other campaigns. FR has high fantasy on lockdown, Eberron does steampunk, Dark Sun does post apocalypse. Spelljammer, Ravenloft, and Planescape all offer a type of setting that doesn't really tread on the other ones' toes. Not to mention it's cheaper to use an old property then launch a new one. WoTC screwed the pooch with their licensing for 3.x, and I think they're going to try to get it back on track over the next couple of years.

Have they mentioned how random psionics are going to work? Do you roll on a table for each NPC to see what ability they have? Or are they moving away from the "everything is psionic, even animals and spiders" thing for the update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Gr3y posted:

Have they mentioned how random psionics are going to work? Do you roll on a table for each NPC to see what ability they have? Or are they moving away from the "everything is psionic, even animals and spiders" thing for the update?

I would bet serious money that any sort of "random" psionics is gone. If an NPC is important enough to get a monster stat block it will be in there as a power, otherwise it will be up to the DM to figure out if that bar maid has Life Drain or not.

• Locked thread