Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Z3n posted:

I've seen bikes with 5 dogs with 2nd gear issues in under 3k because the owner didn't know how to shift. They work ok if you know how to shift, it's just that most people don't have the slightest clue how to shift properly, and as a result they rip the relatively fragile transmission to shreds. R6s tend to see a lot of abuse.

Unfortunately, its in the single digits in Michigan so any test rides will be out of the question. The price is 3,200 firm with two wheel stands, helmet, jacket, and gloves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Crayvex posted:

Hmmm, how serious of an issue is it? The bike is an 02 and hardly ridden. (3K miles) I can't imagine these bikes were just falling out of gear for three years before the designed were improved. It's a Yamaha not a Toyota!

Most of the ones I have seen happen around 15-20k. Friends FZ1 did it a little after 20k.

At 3,000 miles you should be fine, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

It should be in the thirties here next week if you want to make 100% sure ;)

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Crayvex posted:

Wow, that Versys got snapped up within a couple of hours of being posted. drat! Are there any other similar bikes out there that have an upright riding position with sexy sportbike styling? I have budget of $5k or so.

Wee-Strom! Oh, wait, you wanted sexy styling . . .

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Z3n posted:

I've seen bikes with 5 dogs with 2nd gear issues in under 3k because the owner didn't know how to shift. They work ok if you know how to shift, it's just that most people don't have the slightest clue how to shift properly, and as a result they rip the relatively fragile transmission to shreds. R6s tend to see a lot of abuse.

What is the "right" way to shift? Is there something I can read (or you can tell me) about what I might be doing wrong with the way I shift?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Radbot posted:

What is the "right" way to shift? Is there something I can read (or you can tell me) about what I might be doing wrong with the way I shift?

Don't pussyfoot it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Radbot posted:

What Bob says, but also it's important to not just mash it into gear. You should be backing off the throttle to unload the transmission a little and help it shift smoothly. When you do it right, it should just click right into gear with a minimum of fuss. For downshifts, either clutching in or blipping properly (clutchless) is essential to avoiding mashing the dogs up.

Basically, if your shifts feel harsh, then you should look at your technique. If they feel butter smooth, then you're doing good.

A lot of the time the problem that people have is they're not shifting fast enough, so they roll off the throttle but instead of shifting in the split second where it's unloaded as the bike reduces it's acceleration, they're waiting too long and the transmission gets loaded up again.

For most people it's "Roll off, clutch in, shift...clutch out", when in reality it's more like ro-clu-shift-tch-ll all in one motion and back on the gas.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

So I finally pulled the trigger on a bike. 1994 CBR600 F2, 9,000 miles, well-maintained. Fairings have been painted flat black and it has a D&D exhaust. New Michelin tires, brakes, and fluids. Also has frame sliders. No damage.

$1500, did I do good? What should I know about the bike?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Cam chain tensioner? Fork seals? You did good, though, go enjoy riding the hell out of it :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Z3n posted:

For most people it's "Roll off, clutch in, shift...clutch out", when in reality it's more like ro-clu-shift-tch-ll all in one motion and back on the gas.

Clutch? :confused: What clutch?

Also, wear good boots. I can never get a satisfying shift with tennis shoes on. Not that you should ride in tennis shoes, but some people do. I'm not sure how the gently caress people ride in sandals, I can kick a heavy bag all day long but a shift lever doesn't feel good on the top of my bare foot.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Clutch? :confused: What clutch?

Also, wear good boots. I can never get a satisfying shift with tennis shoes on. Not that you should ride in tennis shoes, but some people do. I'm not sure how the gently caress people ride in sandals, I can kick a heavy bag all day long but a shift lever doesn't feel good on the top of my bare foot.

When I started learning to clutchless shift, I used to just pull the bar in a little to smooth the shift out...well, over time the clutch adjusted itself and I was tapping the lever but not actually engaging the clutch. It can take a little practice to get right though. I probably helped the fragging of my 2nd bike's gearbox by loving up shifts. :sigh:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Z3n posted:

When I started learning to clutchless shift, I used to just pull the bar in a little to smooth the shift out...well, over time the clutch adjusted itself and I was tapping the lever but not actually engaging the clutch. It can take a little practice to get right though. I probably helped the fragging of my 2nd bike's gearbox by loving up shifts. :sigh:

I use the clutch most of the time.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Tsaven Nava posted:

Wee-Strom! Oh, wait, you wanted sexy styling . . .

Fazer! The one from 98-03 looks great, but it seems I'm one of the few with that opinion. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is at least the second time this guy has listed his bike, and he seems awfully concerned about the value of his accessories (Harley guy in disguise?).

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/1575539455.html

Yeah, yeah, don't post CL links, but it's a LONG listing. Anyway, think if I throw out $5k with the one or two things I want (exhaust and rear shocks) he'd go for it?

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

Endless Mike posted:

This is at least the second time this guy has listed his bike, and he seems awfully concerned about the value of his accessories (Harley guy in disguise?).

Yeah, yeah, don't post CL links, but it's a LONG listing. Anyway, think if I throw out $5k with the one or two things I want (exhaust and rear shocks) he'd go for it?

I think he's listing all that crap at retail, which is total BS since even if he were to go through the hassle of parting it out and selling all that stuff he wouldn't get even close to that much. CA consensus seems to be you don't pay extra for stuff the PO put on the bike. Plus, he's asking Blue Book in winter which is kind of hilarious. You usually don't need to pay Blue Book on CL. Just to give you some perspective, my bike was in just as good condition when I bought it, with somewhere around $1.5k-$2k in extras, and I paid him a grand under Blue Book for it.

If it were me, I would throw out $5k for the bike with everything, let him keep maybe the luggage or something, and if he didn't like it walk. It's winter and I highly doubt he's gotten much interest.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah he's not going to get that. Lowball him nicely, and walk when he flips out about it...give him your number though.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

KARMA! posted:

Fazer! The one from 98-03 looks great, but it seems I'm one of the few with that opinion. :(

Here in the US, we call it a FZ1, or FZ6, depending on displacement. Either way, prettier than a V or Wee, roughly the same dimensions and riding position. I'm thinking of selling the BMW GS and putting Distanzia's on my FZ1. It would have the same DS competency, but the FZ1 would be easier to pick up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnomad posted:

Here in the US, we call it a FZ1, or FZ6, depending on displacement. Either way, prettier than a V or Wee, roughly the same dimensions and riding position. I'm thinking of selling the BMW GS and putting Distanzia's on my FZ1. It would have the same DS competency, but the FZ1 would be easier to pick up.

But Charlie and Ewannnnnn....:qq:

I like the FZ1/Fazer as well. We considered buying one over the g/f's Z1000, but it just didn't work out like that.

Also what is with everyone buying F2's all of the sudden? :tinfoil:

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

But Charlie and Ewannnnnn....:qq:

I like the FZ1/Fazer as well. We considered buying one over the g/f's Z1000, but it just didn't work out like that.

I see your CHarlie and Ewan and raise you a Sjaak....

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnomad posted:

I see your CHarlie and Ewan and raise you a Sjaak....

How are you supposed to go around the world when you don't have fairings to help you totally go so fast AND protect your delicate engine internals from damage? :colbert:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I got to meet a couple of the folks from One Crazy Ride when they screened it herein Dallas :smug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Heh. I was trying to find out something about the pipes he put on, and I found his for sale post in a Bonnie forum:

http://www.newbonnevilleriders.com/forum/showthread.php?p=76372

Looking in the classifieds section at least shows me where he's getting his pricing ideas from.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Gnomad posted:

First gen (:swoon:) are called fzs 400/600/1000, second fz6/fz1. To my knowledge, they are both referred to as fazers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I should just make a thread for my bike search since I really have no idea what I want, although I'm pretty sure these may be it:

First off is a 1998 VFR800. Here's the CL ad:

Click here for the full 1137x349 image.

No photos, but I emailed and he got back to me with a couple good sized pics:

Click here for the full 1229x1639 image.

Click here for the full 1944x1458 image.

I actually had to shrink those to put them on waffle. He said the valves were checked when they were last due, but aren't due again until 32k.

The other one is this:

Click here for the full 1654x846 image.

Other than what's there, he says it's US spec and titled in Tennessee, but located here. I forgot to ask about the valves on this one.

Both seem to be in good condition and both seem to be at least a little overpriced. I can bring cash in hand, so I can at least negotiate some. Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards the 98 if I can bring it down a little.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
The owner and I shook on it and I'm getting the 2002 Yamaha R6 for $3,200. He's throwing in matching helmet, jacket, two wheel stands, slip on muffler, and various tools. As far as cosmetics go there was only one tiny chip in the paint on the tank where he slipped with a tool while removing the tank. He had to point it out to me.

The full bike story is that he bought it, rode it a little bit the first year, a lot in the second year, and then little trips downtown (less than 5 miles). His Harley got all the attention and finally it just sat in his basement for the last two years. New wife wanted it out of the house. It was moved to the garage, but he needs room for truck. Very honest guy who has a great reputation with the classic car crowd. He told me the bike is 100% and if there are ANY issues he will pay out of pocket for parts/repairs. Like I said, he has a great reputation.

Jumped it, and it fired up but was running rough which I expected for a bike sitting this long. Apparently he was firing it up from time to time but not really running it so the spark plugs are likely fouled. I may need to tear into the carbs to clean 'em but it looks like it is 1,000 times easier on this bike than it is on the old Japanese cruisers that I normally work on.

Roads were icy and the temps in the teens. So I didn't test ride it but I know a good bike when I see one.

I'm taking it to heated storage on Thursday. On Sunday I'll flush the gas tank, clean or replace the spark plugs, and run some seam foam through it. If it still idles rough, I'll tear into the carbs.

Pardon the blurry iPhone pic:

Oh gawd... I have a sport bike. :gbsmith:

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
congrats, sounds like a great deal

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Check those tires before you go out and stretch it's legs. They could be old and worthless.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Crayvex posted:

new R6!

I was a little leery initially, but if the dude's got a good rep than that's worth more in my book than anything else. Congrats on the bike! It probably doesn't need much more than some new gas, honestly. Seconding the check the tires, too, they're probably toast from sitting for so long.

Endless Mike posted:

vf:argh:

The corbin and the helibars, brand new, are ~700$ total, and he wants 600$ more for them? Meh. Dude's asking too much, I'd offer him 3k with the accessories. It's a 12 year old bike coming up on a pain in the rear end valve adjustment. I honestly wouldn't go for either of those, given how much they're asking the ragged condition of the second one.

Luker
Jul 28, 2006
So for the past months I have been looking for a cheap, light-weight bike to also learn to do my own work on. I'd figure it would be a nice mix of learning some new skills and have some fun cruising around as well. I have mainly been looking for older Honda CB's, Suzuki GS's and the like because they seem to be most reliable and not too complex mechanically. Then this came up for sale:

Click here for the full 1024x681 image.

Click here for the full 1024x681 image.

A 1981 Moto Guzzi 'small block' V50 with about 31000 miles on it. So I was thinking: 500CC's of v-twin sexiness, light, not too mechanically complex.. What more could I want right?? So far I have found that electrics and valves are a weak point of these bikes (valves need regular adjustment) but that they should be pretty solid overall.

The owner is asking 1500 euro's for it and claims that it has been well maintained and that all the electrics work.

Do you guys think this would be a good bike from a mechanical point of view? I want to learn to do my own work but haven't got much experience with a wrench (except for wrenching on an old vespa moped when i was younger). Will the 'character' :q: of this bike eventually ruin me financially or is this an Italian that for the most part will keep going with regular maintenance? Will riding one of these make me look like a grandpa? Do you think the owner is asking way too much? So many questions... Help me CA gods :rudebox:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
If you can find parts and a manual, you are good to go. :) That longitudinal V-twin looks sexy and isn't really hard to work on since, well, it's an old bike.

Where do you live if you don't mind me askin'?

karms fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 2, 2010

Luker
Jul 28, 2006
Yeah that's what I thought too! I managed to dig up a manual in english so far but I think parts could get a bit tricky but not impossible. I'm from holland by the way (judging from the text in your avatar I take it you're from around these parts too? ;))

I also found this thread by Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester and it is scaring the crap out of me :aaa: He did an amazing job restoring that V65:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2934536&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Go here!

Yeah, most of your time is going to be spent online trying to find parts, but moto guzzi is one of those brands with a bit of a loyal following here in ol' Europe. As long as the thing runs, you'll have lot of fun!

Buy band-aids.

AR5
Mar 22, 2006
In shopping for my first bike, I stumbled across this SV that seems to have potential. http://tinyurl.com/yarefkq Sent an email inquiring about mileage, if it has a title, if its been down, number of owners, and if the valves have been done. How am I doing so far? Any other info that I should definitely get hold of? :ohdear:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AR5 posted:

In shopping for my first bike, I stumbled across this SV that seems to have potential. http://tinyurl.com/yarefkq Sent an email inquiring about mileage, if it has a title, if its been down, number of owners, and if the valves have been done. How am I doing so far? Any other info that I should definitely get hold of? :ohdear:

No, that's pretty much the complete list. I'd ask about maintenance history just for the sake of it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

AR5 posted:

Good list, that is pretty much exactly what I ask when looking at any bike. Great first bike, really enjoying mine.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Finally got my endorsement and and can begin looking for a bike for real! What should I expect to be able to find for near $2k or so?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Finally got my endorsement and and can begin looking for a bike for real! What should I expect to be able to find for near $2k or so?

Any riding experience? People here will mostly suggest Ninja250/500 or GS500, all of which you can find in good to decent shape for 2k.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

hayden. posted:

Any riding experience? People here will mostly suggest Ninja250/500 or GS500, all of which you can find in good to decent shape for 2k.

None other than the Suzuki gz 250's at the MSF and a 125cc scooter I used to putt around the neighborhood with. The gz was small enough to have my legs stiff as hell after just an hour on them.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 3, 2010

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Then any of those I suggested will work well and fit your budget. I find the Ninja 250 to be my favorite of the three and it's hard to go wrong with those.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Ninja 250 Hell ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Right time to F5 craigslist for a few days until a bike that isn't a half finished busa project pops up!