Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

BOrangeFury posted:

Can anyone explain why the releases are so short?

It is published weekly and the author really can't be hosed to do any more than the absolute bare minimum for this comic anymore. Then again he has been doing it straight or 20 years so that at least isn't super surprising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

His boxers have matches in February and March at Korakuen, I figure he's putting most of his time into that.

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

BOrangeFury posted:

Can anyone explain why the releases are so short?

Did you read the latest chapters? Could you really stand to see anymore than the amount released?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

An Outland Dish posted:

Did you read the latest chapters? Could you really stand to see anymore than the amount released?

Longer releases, quicker finish?

Globular Fellow
Sep 5, 2006

by Fistgrrl
I'm glad that I'm not the only one that has hated this entire Woli bullshit.

Oh hey let's build the main character up to be likable and able to surmount any obstacle and then have him die from blunt trauma

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande
you guys are making a big deal out of this. Woli can't punch for poo poo.

Ippo has taken more punches than a metaphor for something that takes a lot of punches, yet he's still not only conscious, but making high-level plans in his mind.

Compare that to some other matches where not only he couldn't think, he was pretty much a punching zombie that barely responded to shouts and yells and just punched blind. He'll probably recover in a round , especially if he gets a punch through

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Swamp Zero posted:

you guys are making a big deal out of this. Woli can't punch for poo poo.

Ippo has taken more punches than a metaphor for something that takes a lot of punches, yet he's still not only conscious, but making high-level plans in his mind.

Compare that to some other matches where not only he couldn't think, he was pretty much a punching zombie that barely responded to shouts and yells and just punched blind. He'll probably recover in a round , especially if he gets a punch through

Yeah, the punches seem to shock him more than anything else because of how fast they are, but after the fact he doesn't seem to be taking any meaningful damage.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Woli could beat Takamura.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

Serious Frolicking posted:

woli's dad could literally kill goku

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Serious Frolicking posted:

On the flipside, if Takamura connected with a punch, he could reduce Woli to 2D.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Coughing Hobo posted:

On the flipside, if Takamura connected with a punch, he could reduce Woli to 2D.

Considering his last fight this isn't even a concern. Woli is literally the best 'boxer' ever, and everyone from kamagowa gym is literally retarded and incompetent suddenly. (except for itagaki)

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

DamnGlitch posted:

Considering his last fight this isn't even a concern. Woli is literally the best 'boxer' ever, and everyone from kamagowa gym is literally retarded and incompetent suddenly. (except for itagaki)

That's because Itagaki is Woli's half brother :ssh:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

An Outland Dish posted:

That's because Itagaki is Woli's half brother :ssh:

No way, this is Itagaki's desire to challenge Ippo personified. He wanted to fight his senpai so much that it manifested into some random jungle dude a ridiculous distance away.

Wait another 4 chapters, when Itagaki confronts Woli and reveals him to be his new Persona. This sets a brand new trend into Ippo, a la the stands in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, as each boxer must now conquer their own persona before they try to take on Ricardo Martinez, or as he more commonly referred to...Lucifer.

Hajime no Ippo: Persona 5 anime slated for this fall!:downs:

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Guyver posted:

His boxers have matches in February and March at Korakuen, I figure he's putting most of his time into that.

I've never heard any of this, can anyone explain?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The author Joji Morikawa owns a boxing gym called JB Sports in tokyo and works as a second.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Interesting. Are any of his boxers any good?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Never seen any of them box but the site has a profile page for the pro-boxers.

Matches Wins(KOs) Losses Draws

All of them have favorable records. Except for the one A Class guy with seven wins seven losses.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Someone posted this on the discussion boards on Ignition-One. I think it fits rather nicely as a parallel to what Ippo is up to these days :v:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Infinitum posted:

With Ippo being what it's been lately, even Wall-E wants to take out this trash. :iceburn:

Phallacracy
Jul 28, 2004
i literally want ippo to die so this fight can be over and nothing like this can ever happen again

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Its out translated http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/882/01/

Nothing I say here will be any different than all my other posts. Make of that what you will.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I can see Ippo going for the same thing next chapter and Wali letting him get in only this time Ippo actually throws that short punch that messed up Date and Sendo's ribs.

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.
HOLY poo poo ACTUAL ALMOST MEASURABLE PROGRESS IN THE FIGHT. Still rooting for Ippo to get dropped, but lord knows that won't happen.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

In case folks don't know, no new chapter until next week :v:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I want Ippo to die.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
This last chapter is the exact same as the one before it with a few extra pages. Kill Ippo.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

at least we got a :smug: from ippo too

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I'm tryingt o think of a fighter that hasn't been turned into total puss by now to jump in the ring wrestling style and hit them both with a step ladder.

Before it would have been vorg but.... :smith:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Geop posted:

In case folks don't know, no new chapter until next week :v:

Goddamnit.

I like Woli's expression to what Ippo did. "Haha, what the gently caress?"

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

ilifin posted:

at least we got a :smug: from ippo too

I think it was a weirdly twisted :downs:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Lately, with all the references to "taking it one step at a time", which is the name of the freaking manga, this fight seems awfully like a final boss kind of thing. I wonder if Hajime no Ippo is going to end with a wimper.

Lil Jon Galt
May 22, 2002

IS A MAN NOT ENTITLED TO THE SWEAT DROP DOWN MY BALLS?
I'd be pretty pleased with the manga at this point if he just retired after the fight and it focused on him turning into a stuttering mess working on a fishing boat.

no more smug woli pleaseeeeee

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Jumping on the "I want Ippo to die" bandwagon. Just get it over with.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
It's almost like the author completely forgot how to do pacing. The lesson in this fight is still solid, and I totally think we wouldn't hate it if he weren't literally making 3 chapters out of what could be condensed into a single one every time.

Ippo finally making that tiny hit and remembering (again and again) how to negotiate his way up into bigger hits from that small insight and small victory used to be cool. It made sense before. But dude has just completely blown this one.

Bleach does this a lot, drawing out fights and power explanations and whatnot. But it's Bleach, and when you read them again way later it's not THAT bad to absorb in one chunk. The last couple... hell, YEARS of Ippo have been horrendous to read even in retrospect. Even people who come in new to the thread complain before they get to the fresh hell we've arrived upon.

I don't really have anything else to add, I just needed to get that out. The author has basically become Ippo himself. This one tiny punch represents the tiny measure of advancement in the story finally. Here's hoping he can wake the gently caress up and Gazelle Punch us back into a good goddamn manga.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Does Ippo mean "One Step" or something? I forget if it's that or Hajime or whatever but whatever the case the end of this chapter is obviously representing that this is what Ippo's character is all about, slowly working his way upwards step by step to the world stage.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Ippo means First Step, I believe. Hajime no Ippo => The First Step at the Beginning? The Very First Step? :v:

Or maybe I am not remembering it proper, and Ippo is just step. And the title of the manga is basically "The First Step". I 'unno.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
"The first step" is correct.

BTW, The first step is obvious: Admit we are powerless over alcohol Woli—that our lives had become unmanageable.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 2, 2010

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Geop posted:

Ippo means First Step, I believe. Hajime no Ippo => The First Step at the Beginning? The Very First Step? :v:

Or maybe I am not remembering it proper, and Ippo is just step. And the title of the manga is basically "The First Step". I 'unno.

Ippo just means one step, so the name of the manga translates to "first (one) step."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Welp it looks like Ippo's now retarded from all those punches