Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
You can see the shadow of his roll bar in the first few seconds. I don't know if any tracks let convertibles on without one, it's a huge liability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ziploc posted:

My 97 does this. gently caress If I know how to fix it. Windows meet the seals just fine. :confused:

Yeah, I get leaking through my soft top where the foam splits to allow the top to collapse. Not sure what to do to fix this (aside from the necessary top replacement in the next couple of years); I'll have to take some photos in the spring when the hardtop is removed.

On a different note, watch this video from the same guy who later rolled this car:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvaPgMMWMz8
Now my car ('97 STO) is rebuilt and all, but I kind of assumed it was just a rough car to drive until I watched this guy; his car is as smooth as I could want it to be, while mine bucks like a motherfucker unless I drive it with complete concentration and smoothly operate the accelerator in particular. That is, it will buck back and forth if I move the accelerator in gear from a static position, or release it (partially or completely) to decrease the rate of acceleration. Also, it will buck during anything but the smoothest gear shift (especially in the lower gears).

I would love to have a rolling start like he has at 0:30. At 0:38, his shift causes the car to buck once, while mine would seemingly buck back and forth a few times. Again, in the Spring when the hardtop is removed I would gladly record a video illustrating all this.

I'm certainly not the most experienced driver, although I have driven my car exclusively for nearly 2 years now. Also, like I said it was a salvaged vehicle and was rebuilt several years ago, and has been rock-solid in terms of reliability. The only real issue I have with it is the aforementioned drivability concern, and while I assumed it was just innate to the model, now I'm wondering if anybody knows exactly why my car behaves like this.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The only thing that springs to mind is excessive lash in the drivetrain - possibly worn out joints on the driveshaft from the transmission to the differential, or the axles?

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Atomizer posted:

Yeah, I get leaking through my soft top where the foam splits to allow the top to collapse. Not sure what to do to fix this (aside from the necessary top replacement in the next couple of years); I'll have to take some photos in the spring when the hardtop is removed.
Replace the rubber bits. They dry out, get just a little harder than they should be and start leaking. It sounds dumb, but I had the same problem and was given the same advice and that fixed it.

ape
Jul 20, 2009

Atomizer posted:

Also, it will buck during anything but the smoothest gear shift (especially in the lower gears).

Mine does this a bit in lower gears depending on what RPM I shift at (120k miles).

Frost -273
Nov 26, 2004
I have a manual 1998 MX5 NB. The problem is that sometimes water comes out from behind the dash onto the passenger (left side in Australia) floor. It happens more when the aircon is going but not all the time. It has on occasion leaked onto the driver side floor.

Any ideas on what the issue is and how to fix it.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
Sounds like the drain for your air conditioner evaporator is plugged or the hose is broken.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only thing that springs to mind is excessive lash in the drivetrain - possibly worn out joints on the driveshaft from the transmission to the differential, or the axles?

Yeah, I was thinking about some sort of slack in the drivetrain, but had no idea where to start, really. I'm going to be bringing this up with my mechanic. Thanks for your input!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Atomizer posted:

Yeah, I was thinking about some sort of slack in the drivetrain, but had no idea where to start, really. I'm going to be bringing this up with my mechanic. Thanks for your input!

I have what you describe. And it's at the diff. At least my slack is.

It also makes a clack clack sound when you depress the clutch when there is tension in the drivetrain. I hear the clacking in lots of other Miatas too.

Mines been fine. And I've done about 30 autoxes with it. After a while you learn the nuances of the slack and adjust accordingly. Being very gentle with the throttle in lower gears is a must. I can drive around perfectly fine without jerking.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ziploc posted:

I have what you describe. And it's at the diff. At least my slack is.

It also makes a clack clack sound when you depress the clutch when there is tension in the drivetrain. I hear the clacking in lots of other Miatas too.

Mines been fine. And I've done about 30 autoxes with it. After a while you learn the nuances of the slack and adjust accordingly. Being very gentle with the throttle in lower gears is a must. I can drive around perfectly fine without jerking.

Ah, I have the same "clacking" sound, but while I'm assuming it occurs whenever I depress the clutch pedal, I can only hear it at low speeds, such as when I'm backing up slowly and need to get into neutral.

So when you say the slack is at your differential, what exactly is it, and is it fixable?

You talk about compensating for the slack, but really I'd like to fix it if at all possible. I do take pride in shifting carefully and properly, but I'm not perfect. It's really frustrating to have what is otherwise an amazing car buck back and forth repeatedly just because I slightly miscalculated the position of the accelerator. Plus, I know that the car really shouldn't drive like that.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Atomizer posted:

Plus, I know that the car really shouldn't drive like that.

I might have this same problem... (98 NB), though I have only been driving stick for about 4 months now, so it could still be operator error. I'm going to have a listen for the clack this arvo.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
As far as I know its pretty normal. What are you comparing it too? Older RWD cars seem to behave like that due to the length the power has to travel.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ziploc posted:

As far as I know its pretty normal. What are you comparing it too? Older RWD cars seem to behave like that due to the length the power has to travel.

I'm specifically comparing my car to another NA in a YouTube video quoted in one of my own posts (on this same page.)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Atomizer posted:

I'm specifically comparing my car to another NA in a YouTube video quoted in one of my own posts (on this same page.)

The one where the audio isn't even synced? I also notice he clutches in on deccel avoiding a deccel jerk.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm debating what to do for wheels/tires for this spring. Currently the car has some 15" steelies with 205/50/15 azenis on it, but the wheels are from a civic so the offset is probably too high. It doesn't have power steering, so the steering effort is a bit higher than I'd like due to the wheels. I'm considering getting some 15x7's and putting those tires on that I already have, or just buying some 14" azenis for dirt cheap (discounttiredirect.com will price match vulcantire.com and there's an $80 rebate on top of that, so 14's would be less than $200) and put them on my stock 94 wheels. I'm leaning towards getting the 14" tires but should probably get some 15's so I have a better tire selection the next time around. What would you cheapasses do? (I'm cheap too.)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I've had coolant disappearing from my '99. It isn't leaving while it is parked, and the waterpump is new. Am I more likely to have a hose not clamped down enough, or where else would I be leaking coolant from? If the head gasket was bad I would be seeing white smoke, right?

I had a scary moment today where the temperature crept up 3/4 of the way to H, was worried I was going to overheat and hurt my block. Will be flushing and replacing the coolant tomorrow morning just to be sure.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Weinertron posted:

I've had coolant disappearing from my '99. It isn't leaving while it is parked, and the waterpump is new. Am I more likely to have a hose not clamped down enough, or where else would I be leaking coolant from? If the head gasket was bad I would be seeing white smoke, right?

Check behind the valve cover. You might find a buldging coolant line.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

DreamOn13 posted:

I'm debating what to do for wheels/tires for this spring. Currently the car has some 15" steelies with 205/50/15 azenis on it, but the wheels are from a civic so the offset is probably too high. It doesn't have power steering, so the steering effort is a bit higher than I'd like due to the wheels. I'm considering getting some 15x7's and putting those tires on that I already have, or just buying some 14" azenis for dirt cheap (discounttiredirect.com will price match vulcantire.com and there's an $80 rebate on top of that, so 14's would be less than $200) and put them on my stock 94 wheels. I'm leaning towards getting the 14" tires but should probably get some 15's so I have a better tire selection the next time around. What would you cheapasses do? (I'm cheap too.)

I would just get some nice 15s

Weinertron posted:

Does it leak anywhere?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
It may be doing the same thing mine is. I've got a small crack in the top of my radiator, my coolant blows out this crack and never makes it to the pavement, the car never overheats and warms/cools normally. So check for that I guess.

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010
Thoughts?

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/cto/1590211454.html

He seems desperate to sell

TylerC 2.0 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 7, 2010

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Without knowing anything else about the car, I'd say that's on the high end for a car of that age. You'd have to go see it yourself, find out what condition it's in, run through the checklist, make sure it's not a Katrina car (it's in New Orleans, after all), etc. If it came with the hard top that would be one thing, but the new soft top and clutch are good to have at that point.

Ziploc posted:

The one where the audio isn't even synced? I also notice he clutches in on deccel avoiding a deccel jerk.

To be honest, I don't even think I listened to the video, I was just focusing on the car's movements. But yes, that's the video I was looking at. I'm still trying to figure out if I have to live with my car the way it is, or if it really should be driving more smoothly.

Atomizer posted:

Ok, it won't be until mid-March at the earliest until I can remove the hardtop, but I'm already getting ready for it. This time, though, I'd like to store it in the garage on a hardtop rack/carrier. In the past it has been stored in a purpose-built ledge in the roof of the garage, but I've never been comfortable with it being there as it's always a challenge getting the top up & down from there, and even with padding the paint on the roof got a little scuffed.

So, I'm curious as to what you guys do with your hardtops in the summer, what experience you have with the various carriers/racks out there, and any buying tips you may have regarding them.

I read about people using hoists to hold the tops in their garages, and I'm wary of that idea for the same reason I don't like the current ledge: I don't want my top anywhere that it could fall, because I neither want to damage the top nor the vehicle below (or a family member, of course.)

I also read about people creating their own hardtop racks from wood, and I'm actually interested in this. I've never attempted something like this before, but it sounds like a cool project. I'd just have to figure out the right dimensions & materials (especially regarding padding.)

Beyond that, I was looking at racks like the following:
http://www.gomiata.com/hardtopcarrier.html
http://www.gomiata.com/hardtopcart.html
I'd prefer something along the lines of the second link, since it holds the top upright and takes up the least amount of floor space. I'm just worried about the weight not being evenly distributed. I also think I could model a self-made cart off the photo, and make it for significantly less than the ~$240 it would cost to buy that new & ship it.

I want to bring this up again; I'm serious about finding a solution. Specifically, do any of you have the pre-built hardtop racks/carts/carriers and think they're worth $200-250, and/or is building one out of lumber a realistic idea? I've never done anything like that before but it's not out of my capabilities, and I think it would be a fun project. However, I wouldn't be sure where to start and if it's not practical then I wouldn't bother.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
today I mounted my race wheels/tires to make sure they fit and was driving around the neighborhood to make sure they worked okay when 3 20-something douchebags in an Accord yelled 'human being!' at me as i was making a turn. It actually bugged me more than I thought it would.. i got over it pretty quickly but does that happen to anyone else?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Are you gay?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The best heckle I even got was when I had the top down and these BMW kids rolled by and one yelled, "I could bunny hop over your car."
I would have taken them up on it if it wasn't my test drive.

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

aventari posted:

today I mounted my race wheels/tires to make sure they fit and was driving around the neighborhood to make sure they worked okay when 3 20-something douchebags in an Accord yelled 'human being!' at me as i was making a turn. It actually bugged me more than I thought it would.. i got over it pretty quickly but does that happen to anyone else?

This happens sometimes, and it doesn't matter whether you're driving a miata or not.

I've had people yell poo poo at me in my miata, in my truck, in my parent's sedan, etc. A lot of it comes from driving around a college town full of fratboy shitheads.

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008
Not really any heckling yet, except from my rear end in a top hat friends. My girlfriend's dad brought it up at dinner the other day though. "You know what the first thing people say is when I tell them you have a Miata?" "Are you gay..." "Yeah!"

They just don't understand us, guys.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I just don't get it... anyways, I'm thinking about replacing my Mazda6 shift knob with something a little bit more race inspired.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

aventari posted:

I've gotten nothing but compliments, from folks I know and strangers. They just see it as a red sports car/convertible. The response from car guys is usually "I know this dude who had a miata like yours, but an older one that was supercharged/had an M3 motor/had nitrous and was scary as hell!"

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 8, 2010

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Phone posted:

I just don't get it... anyways, I'm thinking about replacing my Mazda6 shift knob with something a little bit more race inspired.

Might wanna use the short-shift kit first before you try using the whole length, just sayin'

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

aventari posted:

Does it leak anywhere?

I spent a chunk of today looking for where coolant might be leaking from. Couldn't find anything.

I'm really hoping there isn't a slow head gasket leak.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
This is probably old news but I can say the Miata NA is not a snow/ice car. I had a really scary drive home last night managing to put it sideways once (my fault), and just barely getting away from one stop sign. Of course it's got summer stickies on it too. Only reason I drove it is DD is in a body shop.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sten Freak posted:

This is probably old news but I can say the Miata NA is not a snow/ice car. :words: Of course it's got summer stickies on it too.

There's your problem. I've never had occasion to but I know I've seen more than a few pics in this thread over the years of Miatas in places you wouldn't think they belong, because they're on either allseasons or snows.

You could put summers on a WRX and you wouldn't get anywhere.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Makes sense. I just looked up the tire in question to make sure I remembered right and they do claim all season but I think they're reaching big time with that. (Altimax HPs) The high performance name made me think they were summer only, but still they stink on ice.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

aventari posted:

The only car-related comments I've gotten are along the lines of:

"That car is in amazingly good shape for one with over 100k on it." from another 95M owner.

And a whole lot of "That's a really cute/pretty/nice car" comments from random people. v:shobon:v

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Sten Freak posted:

This is probably old news but I can say the Miata NA is not a snow/ice car. I had a really scary drive home last night managing to put it sideways once (my fault), and just barely getting away from one stop sign. Of course it's got summer stickies on it too. Only reason I drove it is DD is in a body shop.

I'm not sure how many times I've posted the same reply, but Miata snow performance is all about snow tires. Having a limited slip also helps with the rear traction. I've driven my Miata for four winters now and have never even gotten stuck. It's pretty snowy and hilly here, and I also drive up to the local ski area 1-2 times a week. They aren't even expensive snow tires, just a set of Dunlop Graspics. The one time I got caught out on my summer tires, I literally could not move. I almost slipped off the side of my friend's barely sloping driveway. Aside from ground clearance the Miata is a darn good snow car.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

n8r posted:

I'm not sure how many times I've posted the same reply, but Miata snow performance is all about snow tires. Having a limited slip also helps with the rear traction. I've driven my Miata for four winters now and have never even gotten stuck. It's pretty snowy and hilly here, and I also drive up to the local ski area 1-2 times a week. They aren't even expensive snow tires, just a set of Dunlop Graspics. The one time I got caught out on my summer tires, I literally could not move. I almost slipped off the side of my friend's barely sloping driveway. Aside from ground clearance the Miata is a darn good snow car.

You forgot the part where the diff doesn't work if one of the wheels is on ice. :toot:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Phone posted:

You forgot the part where the diff doesn't work if one of the wheels is on ice. :toot:

It does if you pull the handbrake a bit.

I love my car in the snow. It's a ball.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Phone posted:

That's why you have an LSD.

I've driven my 95 on all-seasons in snow several times with pretty good results. Most recently, I had to drive about 50 miles in snow. I passed countless SUVs in the ditch (almost assuredly over-confident douchebags) without incident and made it safely home. It felt great passing by all the morons in my tiny little roadster.

If I had some real snow tires I think it could be quite the little snow-goer, as long as ground clearance isn't a problem. The great road feel and exceptional balance make it handle very predictably in slippery conditions.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 8, 2010

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Guinness posted:

That's why you have an LSD.
In zero-traction situations the Torsen acts like an open diff... hence Ziploc's mention of the handbrake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Tactical Bonnet posted:

The only car-related comments I've gotten are along the lines of:

"That car is in amazingly good shape for one with over 100k on it." from another 95M owner.

And a whole lot of "That's a really cute/pretty/nice car" comments from random people. v:shobon:v

My g/f's landlord asked me "Is the black BMW parked out front yours?"