Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Gr3y posted:

Woah there! Just because one is getting a board game doesn't mean it's not going to get an actual setting. It may be a trial run to see if the brand still has value, or a test run to see how to incorporate some of the Ravenloft specific checks. While they've all been mentioned so far in some form or another already that may just be a way to tie into 4e's unified cosmology. I think those are the only three TSR properties that WoTC still owns that they can do something with, also they have the advantage of not stepping on the feet of their other campaigns. FR has high fantasy on lockdown, Eberron does steampunk, Dark Sun does post apocalypse. Spelljammer, Ravenloft, and Planescape all offer a type of setting that doesn't really tread on the other ones' toes. Not to mention it's cheaper to use an old property then launch a new one. WoTC screwed the pooch with their licensing for 3.x, and I think they're going to try to get it back on track over the next couple of years.

See, I have a feeling that they're going to "sneak" those three settings in with steady references in the core books. Instead of focusing on the stand-alone aspects of them, WotC will continue to incorporate them as places to visit or methods of moving between other worlds.

I'm certain they still own Birthright, Grayhawk, and Mystara; and I'm pretty sure they still own Dragonlance. Contrary to how Hickman and Weiss like to make it look, the setting was designed in house at TSR and not their exclusive brain child. So there is always the chance of one of those settings coming back; and while I agree with you about the whole not stepping on another setting's toes thing being a good idea, look at what they're doing this year. Gammaworld is being released the same year as Dark Sun. Yeah, it's a stand-alone game instead of a D&D setting, but it's tied tightly enough to 4E D&D for monsters to be compatible between the two. That's a lot of post-apocalypse all at once. So they might not be averse to releasing another generic fantasy setting.

quote:

Have they mentioned how random psionics are going to work? Do you roll on a table for each NPC to see what ability they have? Or are they moving away from the "everything is psionic, even animals and spiders" thing for the update?

I doubt you will roll on any tables to randomly determine powers. That goes against 4E's core philosophy. I think players can have wild talents with the new Themes mechanic.

quote:

Ringing Mountains have been expanded so that the Sea of Silt doesn't blow into the Tablelands and bury everything.

The Ringing Mountains are across the Tablelands from the Sea of Silt. But I do remember Rich Baker blogging about using real world science and history to develop them. In fact, I think I'm the guy who summarized it for this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, some mountains. I didn't bother rereading the actual blog post.

BetterWeirdthanDead fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 5, 2010

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Don't take it personally, I just like showing off how much of a Dark Sun sperglord I am.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
S'okay. I'm in a hotel with bandwidth less than 1mb/s so I have nothing better to do than lurk on the forums and wait for threads to refresh.

I can't even download the latest D&D podcasts because it says "99 hours remaining" before timing out on the Athas podcast.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

See, I have a feeling that they're going to "sneak" those three settings in with steady references in the core books. Instead of focusing on the stand-alone aspects of them, WotC will continue to incorporate them as places to visit or methods of moving between other worlds.

I'm certain they still own Birthright, Grayhawk, and Mystara; and I'm pretty sure they still own Dragonlance. Contrary to how Hickman and Weiss like to make it look, the setting was designed in house at TSR and not their exclusive brain child. So there is always the chance of one of those settings coming back; and while I agree with you about the whole not stepping on another setting's toes thing being a good idea, look at what they're doing this year. Gammaworld is being released the same year as Dark Sun. Yeah, it's a stand-alone game instead of a D&D setting, but it's tied tightly enough to 4E D&D for monsters to be compatible between the two. That's a lot of post-apocalypse all at once. So they might not be averse to releasing another generic fantasy setting.

I doubt you will roll on any tables to randomly determine powers. That goes against 4E's core philosophy. I think players can have wild talents with the new Themes mechanic.

I'm going to go ahead and shut gently caress up about this after this post so as to not derail this thread from the DS Own Zone, but I think we'll see at least single volume source books for Spelljammer (and isn't one of the creators for Spelljammer now a higher up at WoTC?) and Planescape. Ravenloft has enough mechanical stuff in it that keeps it from being Dungeons and Draculas that I can see them getting a whole three piece campaign setting out of it. Mystara, Greyhawk, and to a lesser extent Dragonlance are so generic as to be almost interchangeable. I doubt WoTC will get around to them for a good while. That leaves Al-Quadim and Oriental Adventures which have been part of the Forgotten Realms before, and may wind up being so again.

Gamma World is sci-fi, so despite being in the same system (isn't Star Wars Saga pretty similar to 4e?) it's targeting a different audience. Also it almost sounds like a CCG/RPG hybrid with how they're doing the expansions.

And just to show I'm pulling all this out of my rear end watch as they announce next year's campaign setting to be Masque of the Red Death.

Also have they said how Dark Sun ties into the rest of 4th edition yet? Is it a different world/plane or is the future of an already detailed world?

Kerison
Apr 9, 2004

by angerbot

Gr3y posted:

Also have they said how Dark Sun ties into the rest of 4th edition yet? Is it a different world/plane or is the future of an already detailed world?

They didn't put Eberron and Toril into the same metaverse, why would they do that to Athas?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Gr3y posted:

I'm going to go ahead and shut gently caress up about this after this post so as to not derail this thread from the DS Own Zone, but I think we'll see at least single volume source books for Spelljammer (and isn't one of the creators for Spelljammer now a higher up at WoTC?) and Planescape. Ravenloft has enough mechanical stuff in it that keeps it from being Dungeons and Draculas that I can see them getting a whole three piece campaign setting out of it. Mystara, Greyhawk, and to a lesser extent Dragonlance are so generic as to be almost interchangeable. I doubt WoTC will get around to them for a good while. That leaves Al-Quadim and Oriental Adventures which have been part of the Forgotten Realms before, and may wind up being so again.

Eh, it's as good as a place as any to speculate about later settings. Gives us something to do between the "leaks".

Anyways, I'd love to see Ravenloft, Spelljammer, and Planescape as yearly settings, but I don't think it's going to happen. They've all been folded into the core setting to some extent. And they're all settings designed to connect other settings together. By the end of 4E's run, I expect there will be a campaign guide's worth of information for Ravenloft and Planescape (and I hope Spelljammer), but it will be spread about through various DMGs and planar guidebooks.

quote:

Gamma World is sci-fi, so despite being in the same system (isn't Star Wars Saga pretty similar to 4e?) it's targeting a different audience. Also it almost sounds like a CCG/RPG hybrid with how they're doing the expansions.

Gamma World's grip on reality is so tenuous that it's not really fair to call it science fiction. I don't know; I just brought that up as a counter to the idea of stepping on a setting's toes. But they already step a little on FR's toes with every expansion and map of the implied setting.

quote:

And just to show I'm pulling all this out of my rear end watch as they announce next year's campaign setting to be Masque of the Red Death.

I'm calling it right here. They're bringing back Maztica.

quote:

In no way at all. Dark Sun is set on Athas, which is not the future, the past, or the days of future past of any other D&D setting.

Kerison posted:

They didn't put Eberron and Toril into the same metaverse, why would they do that to Athas?

Their cosmologies are close enough that they could be in the same metaverse. If that's how you wanted to run it. You could totally run a campaign where the players Spelljam back in forth between the two and other D&D settings. I suspect Dark Sun's cosmology will be close enough to core for it to be incorporated the same way if a DM so chooses.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!
You could also say that in the Spelljammer setting, there are versions of Athas and Toril and Ebberon. GMs can then decide if they want crossovers and cameos and whathaveyou without worrying about cannon 'speging.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I know that by AD&D canon Spelljammer and Dark Sun don't mix. That said, I would love to see someone's detail the rest of Athas' impenetrable crystal sphere. I mean if they used to magic change the color of the sun a bunch of times, imagine what it did to the rest of the worlds out there.

As cringe worthy as some of it is, I think this guy had some interesting ideas. Plus I remember reading somewhere that the designers planned on hinting that the ancient halflings made forays into space. I think that a group of heavily life-shaped halfling astronauts might make an interesting adversary if they came back to Athas.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

The geography is apparently a little more scientific, as in the Ringing Mountains have been expanded so that the Sea of Silt doesn't blow into the Tablelands and bury everything. There hasn't been much word on any major changes.

Nitpick, but "internally consistent" more than "scientific". The Dragon's Bowl, for instance, doesn't end up full of sand and silt because of...magic!

Gr3y posted:

Honestly, The Plane Above, based on the previews we've seen, looks like it'll be tantamount to Spelljammer 4E plus a guide to the githyanki. Between it and the things we saw in Manual of the Planes and two Monster Manuals (beholders, neogi, etc>), you can hack together Spelljammer pretty goddamn well. If you want to add the Elemental Chaos, heck, there are chaos-jammers in The Plane Below. Spelljammer is effectively a core, paragon-tier-oriented (but obviously available for all tiers)experience.

The heart of Planescape, Sigil, is in both the Manual of the Planes and Dungeon Master's Guide 2. The planes are in the Manual thereof, which also includes, by the way, several faction-oriented paragon paths. Add a few more paragon paths or even faction-based character themes, and you have Planescape. It could be done with a couple of medium to long Dragon articles.

Ravenloft is Open Grave plus the Domains of Dread on Insider. They've held back on doing the "main" Domains, probably to give them the option of doing Ravenloft as a setting later, but you can already create the Ravenloft experience in 4E.

Dragonlance works better as an adventure path than a setting. They could run it after Scales of War, if having to kick Tiamat's rear end as the capstone of two adventure paths in a row weren't a silly idea.

Birthright should be done as Dragon articles, using either character themes or a related mechanic to represent bloodlines, plus mass warfare and domain governance rules in either a DMG, or Dungeon.

I hope that they never do a book called Oriental Adventures, for the same reasons that they wouldn't do "Darkie Minstrel" as a bard build. Al-Qadim is orientalist as well, but at least it's a little more based on folklore local to the place it's pastiche-ing. I'd still say it's on the wrong side of the Good Taste line, but I'm not the one who makes the decisions for WotC.

Honestly, if they wanted to do a typical fantasy sort of setting, I think that they should do the Forgotten Realms setting's sister-world of Abeir. It lets them do what amounts to a new setting--and so include interesting new mechanics and concepts--while still having a built-in audience in the FR fan-base.

Gr3y posted:

Have they mentioned how random psionics are going to work? Do you roll on a table for each NPC to see what ability they have? Or are they moving away from the "everything is psionic, even animals and spiders" thing for the update?

Around 37:00 in the Dark Sun seminar podcast, they talk about both the wilder theme and, in what I think they mean is a separate mechanic, "cantrip-level" psionics that they think they "can just hand out to anyone" as a DM. Again, I think they're talking about something separate from the wilder, which they say is more of "an in-between step", presumably between cantrip-talents and a full or hybrid psionic class.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

ManMythLegend posted:

I know that by AD&D canon Spelljammer and Dark Sun don't mix. That said, I would love to see someone's detail the rest of Athas' impenetrable crystal sphere. I mean if they used to magic change the color of the sun a bunch of times, imagine what it did to the rest of the worlds out there.
See that's what's so great about Spelljammer though. Think about it, Athras is covered by sphere of crystal that's impossible to penetrate. You're on a spaceship shaped like an old Spanish galleon flying through the phlogiston of creation, possibly trying to find and hijack an intergalactic manta ray. Like you give a gently caress about possibility.

Squizzle posted:

Ravenloft is Open Grave plus the Domains of Dread on Insider. They've held back on doing the "main" Domains, probably to give them the option of doing Ravenloft as a setting later, but you can already create the Ravenloft experience in 4E.
I need to read these then. Have they done anything with the Powers/Sanity checks? I'm actually starting a 4e Ravenloft game tomorrow and would like to use as much official material as possible instead of various homebrew systems I'm cobbling together.

Squizzle posted:

I hope that they never do a book called Oriental Adventures, for the same reasons that they wouldn't do "Darkie Minstrel" as a bard build. Al-Qadim is orientalist as well, but at least it's a little more based on folklore local to the place it's pastiche-ing. I'd still say it's on the wrong side of the Good Taste line, but I'm not the one who makes the decisions for WotC.
Do they still have the license to Rokugan? If not, I'm not sure that Oriental Adventures would be all that offensive. Just as long as they don't call the PHB Oriental Adventurers they should be okay. But flipping through the MM1 and MM2 it looks like they got most of the murderables from those settings in there so unless they want to publish modules under those imprints I doubt we'll see them as anything other than blurbs in FR.

Squizzle posted:

Around 37:00 in the Dark Sun seminar podcast, they talk about both the wilder theme and, in what I think they mean is a separate mechanic, "cantrip-level" psionics that they think they "can just hand out to anyone" as a DM. Again, I think they're talking about something separate from the wilder, which they say is more of "an in-between step", presumably between cantrip-talents and a full or hybrid psionic class.
Okay, so they're continuing the 4e theme of "heroes are exceptional" that we've seen so far in official material? Like the innkeeper you just tried to stiff for water may have a small psionic ability that can inconvenience the PCs but has no chance of something dangerous like ULTRABLAST!

Edit:
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Obviously the DM can decide to do whatever he feels like. I'm just curious if they have a set mechanic in place for low-level for NPC character generation. From what Squizzle describes it sounds like they're going to have a list of "cantrip level" abilities to keep the official balance more "PCs are exceptional" than Dark Suns traditional "PCs are exceptionally hosed".

Gr3y fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 5, 2010

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gr3y posted:

Okay, so they're continuing the 4e theme of "heroes are exceptional" that we've seen so far in official material? Like the innkeeper you just tried to stiff for water may have a small psionic ability that can inconvenience the PCs but has no chance of something dangerous like ULTRABLAST!

Logic would indicate that any NPC can have any ability the DM wants them to have, regardless of random charts.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Gr3y posted:

Obviously the DM can decide to do whatever he feels like. I'm just curious if they have a set mechanic in place for low-level for NPC character generation. From what Squizzle describes it sounds like they're going to have a list of "cantrip level" abilities to keep the official balance more "PCs are exceptional" than Dark Suns traditional "PCs are exceptionally hosed".

PCs were kind of always exceptional in Dark Sun, tho. They were in near-constant serious danger, sure, but you had to be something special to survive long enough to score class levels.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
It would be nice if the campaign guide at least included a sidebar with a table for a wild talent variant rule.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Android Blues posted:

PCs were kind of always exceptional in Dark Sun, tho. They were in near-constant serious danger, sure, but you had to be something special to survive long enough to score class levels.

they also started out level 3

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Gr3y posted:

I need to read these then. Have they done anything with the Powers/Sanity checks? I'm actually starting a 4e Ravenloft game tomorrow and would like to use as much official material as possible instead of various homebrew systems I'm cobbling together.

No, and hopefully they never will.

Gr3y posted:

Do they still have the license to Rokugan? If not, I'm not sure that Oriental Adventures would be all that offensive.

No, AEG has it and is using their old system for it, which is a good thing for both properties. The problem with an Oriental Adventures, especially in 4e, is that it's limiting and inherently vaguely offensive. They dropped the Ki power source for that reason. If you want to play D&D in Totallynotjapanugan, you already have everything you need, just reskin.

But back to Dark Sun. I was thinking last night that Dark Sun was the one thing I bought at my first Gen Con back in '96 or so and I think was the first setting I ever bought at all. I'm already starting to get that sort of nostalgic excitement about what they've done to it for 4e.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Gr3y posted:

Not that I've seen. I'd personally recommend hacking together a good five-step disease track that runs from "AOK" to "gibbering", and replacing endurance checks with something more thematic to personal resolve than physical hardiness.

Gr3y posted:

It's more likely that the innkeeper will have a level-appropriate psionic power, if any: your level five Urikan innsman would have a confusion-ray that dazes as a recharge power, but a level 27 kiasharga inn-butler of Dregoth's outer keep would have the flesh-dissolving Hero-Reamin' Eye as an aura.

Edit: World's fastest hack: Buy a couple of packs of Gamma World mutation boosters and draw a card for every NPC you want to give a wild talent, right before combat starts. Read the Radiation keyword/damage type as Psychic.

Edit 2: Yes, this means that big floppy clownshoe feet could be a wild psionic talent.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 5, 2010

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Squizzle posted:

Honestly, if they wanted to do a typical fantasy sort of setting, I think that they should do the Forgotten Realms setting's sister-world of Abeir. It lets them do what amounts to a new setting--and so include interesting new mechanics and concepts--while still having a built-in audience in the FR fan-base.

Eh, I don't think that's a good idea at all. The new mechanics and concepts of Abeir are the stuff 4E added to the Realms. That was the whole point. Also, Abeir became the dumping ground for all the crap they dropped from Toril. You want them to bring back not-Egypt and not-Mexico?

They would be better off releasing something we've never seen before. I believe they bought the rights to the second and third place winners in the contest that brought us Eberron, so we might see one of those.

What I would really like to see is a "pulp fantasy" campaign, a setting based on the fantastic elements of Burroughs' Mars and Venus, Nowlan's Buck Rogers, and that sort of thing. You know, some really trippy Flash Gordon poo poo.

Riidi WW
Sep 16, 2002

by angerbeet
Yes. D&D 4th Edition on Barsoom would be amazing.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Squizzle posted:

It's more likely that the innkeeper will have a level-appropriate psionic power, if any: your level five Urikan innsman would have a confusion-ray that dazes as a recharge power, but a level 27 kiasharga inn-butler of Dregoth's outer keep would have the flesh-dissolving Hero-Reamin' Eye as an aura.

Edit: World's fastest hack: Buy a couple of packs of Gamma World mutation boosters and draw a card for every NPC you want to give a wild talent, right before combat starts. Read the Radiation keyword/damage type as Psychic.

Edit 2: Yes, this means that big floppy clownshoe feet could be a wild psionic talent.
That makes sense. If you the ability to level a building with your mind bullets you would go do that instead of running Tharg's Makeshift Goods.

Also your idea for using Gamma World cards owns.

PeterWeller posted:

They would be better off releasing something we've never seen before. I believe they bought the rights to the second and third place winners in the contest that brought us Eberron, so we might see one of those.
We've seen them. It's called Eberron. In the introduction to the original book I think it says that they bought the rights to the top three, hired the guy that created the winner, and had him compile the stuff they liked in all of them to make Eberron.

PeterWeller posted:

What I would really like to see is a "pulp fantasy" campaign, a setting based on the fantastic elements of Burroughs' Mars and Venus, Nowlan's Buck Rogers, and that sort of thing. You know, some really trippy Flash Gordon poo poo.
That's basically Gamma World right? I'm not too familiar with the original but wasn't it inspired by the space opera stuff while D&D was the sword and sandals game?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Gr3y posted:

We've seen them. It's called Eberron. In the introduction to the original book I think it says that they bought the rights to the top three, hired the guy that created the winner, and had him compile the stuff they liked in all of them to make Eberron.

Really? I don't remember reading that when I got the original ECG.

quote:

That's basically Gamma World right? I'm not too familiar with the original but wasn't it inspired by the space opera stuff while D&D was the sword and sandals game?

Nope, not at all. Gamma World is way post apocalypse. Imagine Jack Vance's Dying Earth or Ralph Bakshi's Wizards, but replace the magic with ray guns and hover cars. Add in walking talking mutant plants, an empire ruled by a mutant bear, cults that worship nuclear bombs and cults that worship robots, and the KKK mounted on eight legged horses. Sometimes it's been presented with a straight face, and sometimes it's been presented as the goofy nonsense it really is, but there's really nothing space opera about it.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Gr3y posted:

Well, look at it like this, if you could Ultrablast people every so often, would you be an innkeeper?

I mean, Wild Talents may be randomly generated. But certain powers will lend themselves to certain careers.

Call to Mind, will lead to more scholars than Matter Agitation, whose possessers would be chosen as a craftsman's apprentice more often than those with Float.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
maybe you were a soldier ultrablasting dudes left and right until one day you made enough money to settle down to run an inn. That's honestly pretty common. Not the ultrablasting I mean, but soldiers becoming innkeepers. Or maybe your parents were inkeepers, so you inherited a good business for which you were well suited. Or maybe you just didn't want to spend your life ultrablasting people for money.

Just because somebody is good at something doesn't mean they want to do it; conversely just because somebody does something doesn't mean they can't do anything else.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Gr3y posted:

That's not even a little true to my understanding. Keith Baker won the contest and worked with WotC to flesh out his entry but I've never heard anything to indicate that the other settings had any influence whatsoever on the development of Eberron. Fun fact though, one of the runners up was Rich Burlew of Order of the Stick fame.

Also, I would do terrible things for a 4e Barsoom game.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

"Liesmith posted:

maybe you were a soldier ultrablasting dudes left and right until one day you made enough money to settle down to run an inn. That's honestly pretty common. Not the ultrablasting I mean, but soldiers becoming innkeepers. Or maybe your parents were inkeepers, so you inherited a good business for which you were well suited. Or maybe you just didn't want to spend your life ultrablasting people for money.

Just because somebody is good at something doesn't mean they want to do it; conversely just because somebody does something doesn't mean they can't do anything else.

Maybe the last rear end in a top hat who came around asking why you didn't ultrablast people for a living got a little taste of the ultrablast himself.

rantmo posted:

Fun fact though, one of the runners up was Rich Burlew of Order of the Stick fame.

They have to release that one. Imagine the rage it would cause over at the OotS boards.

quote:

Also, I would do terrible things for a 4e Barsoom game.

Me too, and I know a lot of other people who would as well.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

Me too, and I know a lot of other people who would as well.

At least the John Carter of Mars Movie looks like it is going to be awesome until we are appeased in terms of 4e settings.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

rantmo posted:

At least the John Carter of Mars Movie looks like it is going to be awesome until we are appeased in terms of 4e settings.

Finding out that Michael Chabon wrote the screenplay for this is like the best news ever. I can now say I am more excited about a Disney movie than I am about a D&D setting.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PeterWeller posted:

Maybe the last rear end in a top hat who came around asking why you didn't ultrablast people for a living got a little taste of the ultrablast himself.

maybe you were deeply offended by a man, years ago. you know he travels often, and his business will take him your way sooner or later. You built the inn and drove out the competition in order to draw him to you, and now you wait as the spider waits for the fly

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Liesmith posted:

maybe you were deeply offended by a man, years ago. you know he travels often, and his business will take him your way sooner or later. You built the inn and drove out the competition in order to draw him to you, and now you wait as the spider waits for the fly

Maybe when you were a child, you accidentally ultrablasted your entire slave village. Ashamed and frightened, you fled into the wastes, where you would have died if not for the attentions of a lame elf cast out from his tribe. He nursed you back to health and with his last ounce of strength helped you make it to the fields around Tyr. Alone and naive, you were quickly captured and enslaved as a gladiator. You fought for many years in the pits, taking many lives, but eventually you earned your freedom and a hefty purse of ceramics. You used that money to open an inn, and you named it after the elf who saved you. After a life of toil and struggle, you barely remember your slave village or your ability to ultrablast the hell out of stuff.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

PeterWeller posted:

Maybe when you were a child, you accidentally ultrablasted your entire slave village. Ashamed and frightened, you fled into the wastes, where you would have died if not for the attentions of a lame elf cast out from his tribe. He nursed you back to health and with his last ounce of strength helped you make it to the fields around Tyr. Alone and naive, you were quickly captured and enslaved as a gladiator. You fought for many years in the pits, taking many lives, but eventually you earned your freedom and a hefty purse of ceramics. You used that money to open an inn, and you named it after the elf who saved you. After a life of toil and struggle, you barely remember your slave village or your ability to ultrablast the hell out of stuff.

Basically all Dark Sun stories should either end in "Welp that's the wastes for you, hope ya had fun before the giant dune-crawler ate you all" or one giant :unsmith: as the heros finally settle down knowing they've done what they can to make their world less poo poo.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
Or it could end with the PC's miraculously slaying the tyrannical defiler king, barely scraping by alive with comrades fallen by the wayside, and then discovering that they've instilled chaos where there was order as normal citizens slaughter each other in the street for their piece of the pie.

Though I guess "That's the wastelands for you" covers taht.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

The Valley of Dust and Fire on Killing Borys the Dragon posted:

What if they win? Even in the unlikely event that the PCs encounter and fight the Dragon, they should not be able to destroy it. If properly run, the Dragon is able to defeat even a party of the highest level adventurers.

The Dragon has had thousands of years to prepare its defenses. It must have many contingency spells, and possibly clones, to ensure its survival. The realm of psionic enchantment opens up still more amazing possibilities. You have many devices to keep the Dragon alive—if you want to.

Killing the Dragon is less an issue of firepower than of campaign direction. Without the Dragon, the Tyr region’s balance of power changes completely. Unless the party demonstrates incontrovertibly that its power surpasses the Dragon's—an unlikely case—chaos ensues. Sorcerer-kings forego the struggle for supremacy long enough to unite against the player characters. Scenarios would be much different in this new world, now divorced from the established DARK SUN™ campaign background.

Still, that may appeal to you and your players. After all, if the issue arises, both players and DM have clearly demonstrated a sense of adventure. There is no other way to survive the Valley of Dust and Fire.

I find it very funny that shortly after this was published they kill like half of the Sorcerer Kings and the Dragon in The Prism Pentad.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

ManMythLegend posted:

I find it very funny that shortly after this was published they kill like half of the Sorcerer Kings and the Dragon in The Prism Pentad.

I can only hope that whoever the hell was responsible for them making that guy's poo poo an official part of the setting will be nowhere near 4e dark sun

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I can only hope that whoever the hell was responsible for them making that guy's poo poo an official part of the setting will be nowhere near 4e dark sun

I'm comin to yer house reckin your gamez.
______________________/

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
At least they had the good sense to reboot to the start. All those awesome supplements, like Valley are useful again. Plus full stats for all the SKs and Dragon in the monster book. Its going to be awesome.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

They were even smarter than that. Instead of just rebooting to the beginning of the setting, they rebooted to right after the really great beginning of that series. However you feel about the later developments in the Pentad, you have to admit Free Tyr was great for the setting.

And I won't be surprised if we see Kalak statted out. If not in the challenge book, then in a dragon article.

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
So.

Is this setting good?

I'm kinda tired of Ebberon, I hate FR, and no one in my group likes points of light but me.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

Is this setting good?
No. It is the best.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
It's awesome, it's amazing, but it can be a bit of a downer (see "that's the wastes for you", above). I love the little I've played in it and I look forward to playing it 4e, but I feel like playing it as the sole setting for my sole game for more than a few months could get a bit oppressive (see also Ravenloft).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

So.

Is this setting good?

I'm kinda tired of Ebberon, I hate FR, and no one in my group likes points of light but me.

Wha? Dark Sun? No, it sucks.

• Locked thread