Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

So.

Is this setting good?

I'm kinda tired of Ebberon, I hate FR, and no one in my group likes points of light but me.

It's literally the best setting, it reads amazingly (up till the end where they shat the bed before 4th ed) and actually plays well too, which is a hard balance to find.

It's also a really nice change from normal D&D where you're going "ANOTHER +2 sword? Throw it on the fighter's pile!", since if you have a metal sword chances are you're gonna get killed for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

rantmo posted:

That's not even a little true to my understanding. Keith Baker won the contest and worked with WotC to flesh out his entry but I've never heard anything to indicate that the other settings had any influence whatsoever on the development of Eberron. Fun fact though, one of the runners up was Rich Burlew of Order of the Stick fame.
Epp. I reread the preface and somehow interperted "and developed that kernel into Eberron" into "used all three". Do we know what 2nd and 3rd place are?

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

So.

Is this setting good?

I'm kinda tired of Ebberon, I hate FR, and no one in my group likes points of light but me.

In the podcast they summed it up pretty well. Athas is place where the bad guys won a long time ago. If you're looking for regular fantasy tropes then you aren't really going to find them there. If you're looking for a dark post-apocalyptic world where survival of the fiercest is the law of the land Dark Sun has you covered. The world is vicious that Gods have either abandoned it or died.

Think Conan rather than Lord of the Rings.

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
Well.

Conan is pretty awesome.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Gr3y posted:

Epp. I reread the preface and somehow interperted "and developed that kernel into Eberron" into "used all three". Do we know what 2nd and 3rd place are?

According to Rich Burlew, we won't know anything unless WotC decides to talk.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

shotgunbadger posted:

(up till the end where they shat the bed before 4th ed)

People say this often, and it is true to some extent, but I want to let you guys who never got a chance to check out DS in 2E know that even though the revised boxed set hosed with the setting and wasn't nearly as cool as the original set, it was still pretty drat great. That is how good Dark Sun is. They burdened it with detailed history, killed off over half the major NPC antagonists, and tacked on regions that had little thematically to do with the core area. It remained one of D&D's best settings.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mind Lords of the Last Sea was unforgivable, even if it sounds like the title of a Blue Oyster Cult album.

Edit: "Dolphin, Athasian".

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 7, 2010

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

It was like some poo poo from an TOS Trek episode.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It was amazing. First round of the first encounter in the bundled adventure, it comes out and says 'You should have at least one dead PC on your hands' and spins from there. By the end of the adventure, at least one of the titular Mind Lords will be dead, seriously loving with everything that was written in the expansion material.

City by the Silt Sea was a pretty neat idea with absolutely horrible execution too.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

To be fair, there was a trend of detailing something in a source book and then totally loving it up in an adventure. "Here's Tyr, ruled by the mighty King Kalak. You will witness his assassination in our very first adventure."

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Surfing lizardmen in the dolphin-heavy waters of Athas's secret Great Lakes goes a bit beyond killing a dude in terms of setting befucking.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

No, I'm saying wiping out the government and totally upsetting the status quo of Athas's Secret Great Lakes in the first adventure to feature them is pretty much par for Dark Sun's course.

Adding in that nonsense in the first place was pretty drat dumb. But we should remember that the revised box also gave us Eldaarich, the Bandit Wastes, and the Dead Lands. It wasn't all bad.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

PeterWeller posted:

No, I'm saying wiping out the government and totally upsetting the status quo of Athas's Secret Great Lakes in the first adventure to feature them is pretty much par for Dark Sun's course.

Adding in that nonsense in the first place was pretty drat dumb. But we should remember that the revised box also gave us Eldaarich, the Bandit Wastes, and the Dead Lands. It wasn't all bad.

Don't forget the Crimson Savannah and the Kreen Empire.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I liked a not-small amount of the setting expansion in the revised box, at least in concept. The Dead Lands always seemed like a bit of a fine misfire, though, because it was tied into the Rajaat genocide history. At least, it was tied into it insofar as the various angry corpses you'd find in it were exclusively(?) of races made extinct by the genocides. I just didn't like Athas having a known history, and didn't like it being attested by evidence in the "modern" setting. And the Bandit States seemed to defang the wasteland brigandry by giving them an organizational principle, instead of being part of the highly arbitrary dangers of Athas.

Eldaarich was 100% awesome, though.

Edit: And gently caress Kurn forever.

Edit 2: Seriously, argh, Kurn enrages me so much. :supaburn:

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 7, 2010

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I stopped buying DS stuff before the Revised box came out. Who or what was Kurn?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

quote:

Kurn

City of Keltis (Oronis), a sorcerer-king who abandoned the draconic transformation path and instead turned to preserving magic to become an avangion. Oronis moved most of his populace into "New Kurn," a hidden and disguised city that is rigorously policed to keep it safe, while "Old Kurn" is little more than a shell and a set of illusions to prevent outsiders from realizing the changes that have transpired.

:ughh:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Bieeardo posted:

I stopped buying DS stuff before the Revised box came out. Who or what was Kurn?

Kurn was a city-state run by a good, preserving sorcerer-king. Aboveground, it looked like an abandoned failureville; below, it was a secret utopia for its noble citizens.

Dark Sun was originally a world at its lowest; the players could not make it worse, only improve it, or take advantage of it for personal gain. Any change would make it better. The revised set changed a lot of things, and--even if as an unintended consequence--made the setting more pleasant. It went from a savage world at its lowest and not going anywhere unless you, personally did something about it, to a dangerous world of mystery with hope for the future.

Edit: And that's even before it added places like Kurn; I'm talking about changes in general, like the Cerulean Storm and those killings and that earthquake that shook loose a lot of entrenched power structures loose. Also, beaten.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Also, the addition of Oronis made the death Korgunard towards the end of the original adventure path suddenly a lot less significant. It was this: "Hey, your awesome buddy, the dude who you saved from King Hamanu and a host of other threats, the dude who was developing a wonderful new path that could bring life back to your dead world, your friend who was tragically betrayed and murdered by the cabal of psionicists who were conspiring to rule the world-- you know, the guy whose tragic death meant that your eventual victory against that evil cabal was Pyrrhic at best? Well, don't worry, the dude who trained him is still alive, and he has a secret utopia."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Jesus. I'm with Captain Picard on that one.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Squizzle posted:

Dark Sun was originally a world at its lowest; the players could not make it worse, only improve it, or take advantage of it for personal gain. Any change would make it better. The revised set changed a lot of things, and--even if as an unintended consequence--made the setting more pleasant. It went from a savage world at its lowest and not going anywhere unless you, personally did something about it, to a dangerous world of mystery with hope for the future.

Bullshit! The moment one of your PCs decided that they wanted to be a sorcerer king the world could get even worse. Yes you would have to kill one of the ancient evil SKs freeing their people from a despotic rule and the magical Templar gestapo. But your next step was to sacrifice a non-insignificant portion of sentient life just to begin your path to the throne.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Eh, not really. None of the sorcerer kings have completed the metamorphosis process. In 2E game terms, they are all around 21st to 24th level; full dragonhood is 30th level. Each step (level) requires even more sacrifice of sentient life than the last one, and all the sorcerer kings are actively pursuing the further steps in their evolution. Thousands of sentient beings are going to get their life sucked out via obsidian balls one way or the other.

On top of that, you won't have your own templar gestapo, so if you wish to maintain your hold on power, you will have to compromise with other factions in a way the other rulers don't. The mere existence of a realistic check on your power will make you better than the previous despot who could rule with impunity.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Don't forget that, in 2E terms, even if a player did become a full dragon and managed to gather a templar organization, they wouldn't be able to imbue those templar with spell casting ability. That was a consequence of the sorcerer kings being connected to the Dark Lens by Rajaat. So your templar would have a hard time competing with other city state's templar, the Order, and the Vielded Alliance.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Every time you mention Rajaat, a child dies of leukemia.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

What about Cleansing Wars and Dark Lens? What cancers do those cause?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

What about Cleansing Wars and Dark Lens? What cancers do those cause?

None, they're cleansing wars. How could anything bad happen?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

For those of you who don't know what the Cleansing Wars were, they were when an ultra-racist human gathered a crew of other ultra-racists together so they could wipe out all the other races.

And give the world back to halflings.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

PeterWeller posted:

For those of you who don't know what the Cleansing Wars were, they were when an ultra-racist human gathered a crew of other ultra-racists together so they could wipe out all the other races.

And give the world back to halflings.

Yeah, but the halflings weren't down or even that knowledgeable of it, right? I thought it was like how evangelicals are all like, "Jews are the Chosen People! It says so in our Bible, too!" and the jews are kinda nodding and trying not to make too much eye contact.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

You're right. But it gets even better. See, he wanted to return the world to the halflings so they can turn back to the clock to the Blue Age, a time when the world was covered in oceans that teamed with life. To facilitate this, he developed a form of magic that is powered by the very essence of life and taught it to an elite cadre of genocidal megalomaniacs.

And he was surprised that when they learned of his real plan, they turned against him.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Was Rajaat even really human?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Nah, he was either a unique mutant or a Pyreen. I can't remember.

Edit: Okay, I looked it up. He was a mutant Pyreen. Here is how he is described.

The Wanderer's Chronicle posted:

By all accounts, Rajaat was hideous. He had a huge head with a flat, grossly elongated face. His eyes were half-covered by flaps of skin. His long nose, lacking of a bridge, ended in three flaring nostrils. His small, slitlike mouth was marked with tiny teeth and a drooping chin. His body was contorted and weak, with humped shoulders and gangling arms.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 7, 2010

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
I thought he was a proto-halfling and was born at the very end of the blue age, just before most halflings lifeshaped themselves into other races to adapt or something.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

The Pyreen may or may not have been made by the Life Shapers. For some reason, they chose to leave that part vague.

I'm really bagging on this stuff right now, but when I was fourteen, I though this was the coolest poo poo. All my friends and I were loving amped when we finally learned the secret history of Athas.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I thought Halflings were loving heathen cannibals in Dark Sun?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

The halflings of the Forest Ridge (and thus the most well know in the Tablelands) are primitive cannibals. Further North, the halflings of the Jagged Cliffs retain much of the halfling culture from the past, including the power of Life Shaping. This is more poo poo added in by the Prism Pentad and revised boxed set.

I know. It's dumb. But don't worry, the 4E book almost certainly won't have this crap in it. It really looks like the only bit carrying over from the metaplot and expansions will be the death of Kalak.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I need to find a loving 4e group when dark sun comes out; I'll use craigs list if I have to.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Use it's supreme awesomeness as a way to get your other friends to finally play 4E DnD with you.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

drgnvale posted:

I need to find a loving 4e group when dark sun comes out; I'll use craigs list if I have to.

Use meetup.com. I found a decent group to play 4e through there.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
I always figured it'd be amusing if Rajaat was the first Avangion, it could explain his... unorthodox appearance, and he did develop preserving as well as defiling magic. Also wanting to turn back the world into the Blue Age.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Why do you hate children?

Or love leukemia?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Tindalos posted:

I always figured it'd be amusing if Rajaat was the first Avangion, it could explain his... unorthodox appearance, and he did develop preserving as well as defiling magic. Also wanting to turn back the world into the Blue Age.

That would be tough to do since the only thing left of him is a semi-sentient skelton which was then locked in the Hollow, an infinte sub dimension within another infinite dimension the Black. Just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
and yet he still gets out

• Locked thread