Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, if pumping the clutch helps, either your master or slave is failing (or off chance, you have a leak in the line between the two).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think the clutch thing was kinda a fluke. The amount of effort required seems to be a bit random. I stopped by the dealer and they want to change the fluid to Redline. The fluid might not have been changed at 30,000miles like on the scheduled maintenance. I'll go ahead and do that as a first step when I bring it in tomorrow.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Kynetx posted:

Or within 6 months of getting a Speed6 again. You fickle bitch. SURE... you just stroll in here, thinking we'll take you back. Ha! You disgust me. Clean yourself up and leave.

Kinda jealous about your G8 though...

I was right. Today is a nice sunny day, and I'm happy with my car again. I really do miss the 6 though. Here's a picture in memory of it, of the day I brought it home.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

I think the clutch thing was kinda a fluke. The amount of effort required seems to be a bit random. I stopped by the dealer and they want to change the fluid to Redline. The fluid might not have been changed at 30,000miles like on the scheduled maintenance. I'll go ahead and do that as a first step when I bring it in tomorrow.

Self-resolving issue or not, the clutch system is much like your braking system - any leak or any failure to generate pressure is an issue that indicates something, somewhere in the system, is failing. A full fluid swap will probably help but really shouldn't be required.

Get Em Slugger: I actually just saw a black MS6 going the other direction while out at lunch. Go figure.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I didn't mean it self-resolved, just that how much effort is required is independent of the clutch. Well, we'll see, it's under warranty still so...

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

CharlesM posted:

Well, we'll see, it's under warranty still so...

Oh, well Christ. Haul that bitch in. Which dealership did you get it from?

Totally unrelated: Is anyone with an MS3 having trouble with windshield cracks? I have two. I swear it's like it was made from spun sugar or something. I've NEVER had a windshield crack in 19 years of driving.
Christ, I'm old.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The dealership I got it from is 850 miles away or so. It's going in to the local one tomorrow, they didn't have much time to service it today though they checked it out.

And yes, windshields on some new cars seem to be very fragile. So far my Mazda has been OK, but my family's 3 Subarus have gone through one or two windshields each!

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

BexGu posted:

Hey Shoota_McG, can you talk about how driving in the MS3 was like in the snow? That is my only concern is having that powerful of a FWD machine in (the little) snow the DC area gets.

Alright, finally got the snow tires on it (16x6.5, 5x114.3, 55mm offset steelies with 205/60R16 Continental ExtremeWinterContact tires) and it handles snow just fine. I left traction control on all day and it never struggled in powder or on icy roads.

This is in Edmonton, with some real winter. I don't think winter should be a deterrent for this car as long as you put the proper tires on it.

SiB
May 6, 2005
So I heard that Mazda is going to be watching large warranty repairs closer... For example if your car needs an engine and its on warranty, the dealer has to get approved to change the engine rather than just doing it. Mazda wants to approve each large warranty claim as they come, regardless of the dealer level (A, B or C dealer).
I guess they are just trying to watch their money a little closer now. So keep up on your maintenance and keep the records!

Edit: I am in Alberta Canada if that matters

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kynetx posted:

Totally unrelated: Is anyone with an MS3 having trouble with windshield cracks? I have two. I swear it's like it was made from spun sugar or something. I've NEVER had a windshield crack in 19 years of driving.
Christ, I'm old.

I haven't had any issues with mine. The wife says there's a chip on the right side somewhere but I haven't seen it since I never ride shotgun.

That said, in AZ windshields are practically a wear item. Zero deductible glass coverage = no worries.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

SiB posted:

So I heard that Mazda is going to be watching large warranty repairs closer... For example if your car needs an engine and its on warranty, the dealer has to get approved to change the engine rather than just doing it. Mazda wants to approve each large warranty claim as they come, regardless of the dealer level (A, B or C dealer).
I guess they are just trying to watch their money a little closer now. So keep up on your maintenance and keep the records!

Edit: I am in Alberta Canada if that matters

When my '08.5 MS3's motor popped the dealership had to take pictures, talk with Mazda techs on the phone more than once, etc. to get authorization to replace it. That was in July '09.

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

Don't get the wrong, the G8 is an absolute blast. When the weather is good. It really sucks in winter weather, and I don't live in an area that gets enough snow/ice to warrant snow tires. I'm sure my mind will change again once the roads thaw out :)

Bah, man up and fishtail around some corners and that feeling will go away. As much as I liked my MS3 the G8 is every bit as much fun, albeit... different. Your MS6 was a different sort of car... What about it do you miss?

Tremek fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 7, 2010

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
Seems pretty standard, a couple years ago the local Ford dealership figured I needed a new engine in my Focus and had to get approval from the mothership to replace it. Turns out it was just the clutch and flywheel stuck together real good like.

SiB
May 6, 2005
It actually hasn't been standard, I just swapped a 2009 2.3 (non-turbo) because of a rather large hole in the block from #2 rod going its own way.

We didn't talk to the mothership at all, just ordered a long block through the usual means.

But anyways, do not show up with aftermarket parts and a dead engine! (ya we all know that...)

SiB fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 8, 2010

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Tremek posted:

Bah, man up and fishtail around some corners and that feeling will go away. As much as I liked my MS3 the G8 is every bit as much fun, albeit... different. Your MS6 was a different sort of car... What about it do you miss?

It was really just a different sort of car. It wasn't quite as quick in a straight line, though it was close after the intake/downpipe/Accessport. But it was so much more nimble around the corners, and the AWD just felt more secure in the bad weather. We've got more ice and snow headed this way so I loaded the trunk up with 170 pounds of sand. Maybe it will fare better this time.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I totally appreciate the fast AWD car thing. Even sometimes I question whether I should have picked up an Evo or STI instead of the G8, but there are definitely advantages in having the larger car, plus it's fun having a car that virtually no one else has.

It's about 20 degrees here, roads are iced up, and it's been snowing all day at about 6,000 ft. I had the choice of our Xterra or the G8 to take to a Superbowl party... I took the G8. Snow tires and heroic traction control go a long way. Even at a full stop on a hill I had very little trouble getting going on the Blizzaks. I got the impression that you're still on the stock rubber; do you have summer or all-seasons? Hopefully the sand helps but there's no way in hell I would be out in this on summer tires. :)

Tremek fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 8, 2010

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I'm having a somewhat similar issue to CharlesM, granted it's relatively infrequent: my MS6 will not let me shift fully into first; it'll go halfway and feel stuck. If I let it go back to neutral and release/re-press the clutch it usually fixes it.

My MS6 is not under factory warranty, but I do have the extended warranty. Would something like that be covered?

Note: I don't abuse my car. I don't do hard launches like ever, and aside from the occasional lovely shift at high revs I don't really do anything bad to the car. So I hope I didn't cause this... :(

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Off tomorrow, wish I could go for a drive but it's going to be all rainy. Blah.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CombatWombat posted:

I'm having a somewhat similar issue to CharlesM, granted it's relatively infrequent: my MS6 will not let me shift fully into first; it'll go halfway and feel stuck. If I let it go back to neutral and release/re-press the clutch it usually fixes it.

My MS6 is not under factory warranty, but I do have the extended warranty. Would something like that be covered?

Note: I don't abuse my car. I don't do hard launches like ever, and aside from the occasional lovely shift at high revs I don't really do anything bad to the car. So I hope I didn't cause this... :(

Well the Redline gear oil seems to be helping; they told me to drive it 100 miles for full effect which I haven't done yet. I did notice sometimes it gets stuck halfway like that to 2nd gear, like it doesn't slide into the right notch. I'm on extended warranty also now. I'll let you know how mine goes.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

I wonder if your shift linkage is out of whack.

Animedork2075
Aug 31, 2005

Burning Tires with Burning Spirit!
:kamina:
Are you guys just using standard redline synthetic gear oil? I just hit 35K miles, and am thinking of changing the trans oil.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Tremek posted:

I got the impression that you're still on the stock rubber; do you have summer or all-seasons? Hopefully the sand helps but there's no way in hell I would be out in this on summer tires. :)

No, they're all seasons. http://tinyurl.com/yh8fasq

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CombatWombat posted:

I've never driven a stick long-term that didn't do this with first and/or reverse. My MS3 does it less than my Miata, actually. The T-56 in a fourthgen Camaro can be pretty fickle about it too.

Simply put, everything has to be lined up to get a gear - and if nothing is moving and everything is sitting in just the wrong position, it can't line itself up just on the movement of the shifter alone.

I do want to know what you guys are using for transmission oil, I should probably change mine on the next oil change (nearing 46k).

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

CombatWombat posted:

My 08 MS3 does the exact thing. I always leave the car in 1st when parked, and sometimes I'll coast into my driveway or let the car idle in neutral. When I go to put it in 1st it happens. I'm also curious if Redline would help.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

I do want to know what you guys are using for transmission oil, I should probably change mine on the next oil change (nearing 46k).

Unfortunately it doesn't say on my receipt but my guess is that they used MT-90, a 75W90 gear oil. That's what most people were using on the forums when I checked. You may also be able to run 80W-90 since you're in Arizona, right? That's specified for climates where it doesn't get below 50oF. I do have the 5-speed though, I don't know if it's different for the 6-speed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I am in AZ but we do get temperatures in the 40-degree range in the mornings for a few months of the year here, especially out on the outskirts of town where I'm at.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I figured, but just thought I'd throw it out there in case it didn't.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well, that was annoying.

Went to the pharmacy on my way to run some errands, less than a mile to get there. Hop in after I finish shopping, fire up the car, and try to back out of the space, and I realize after a few failed attempts that the car isn't giving me any response on the throttle unless I mash it, and has a CEL set. I limp it back home (won't go over about 3000RPM) and just plugged in a computer to find out it's set P2119 - apparently the throttle body doesn't know what the gently caress. I just fired it up again and the car is responding / running normally.

Anyone know if this is covered under the powertrain warranty?

Quoting myself for two reasons:

1) It did it again. I drove it from home to the gas station on the same corner as the pharmacy, so again, roughly half a mile drive while cold. After filling up, I started it up and the same exact behavior. I haven't scanned it yet but I'm sure it's another P2119.

2) Nope, it's not covered - according to this it looks like the throttle body is not "powertrain". Weak.

So, it looks like I'm just going to have to avoid short trips until this weekend when I change the oil - I'll pick up a bottle of throttle body cleaner and go to town and see if that helps.

FlyingPotato
Sep 9, 2003
Fwoomp!

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

No, they're all seasons. http://tinyurl.com/yh8fasq

That tread doesn't look like it's any good at all in the winter. I really wish manufacturers would just be honest and call a summer tire a summer tire.

In my experience, "High Performance" = "1 inch of snow and you're going to die"

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I won't argue with you. Snow isn't uncommon in this part of Texas, but it's rarely more than an inch or so and it even more rarely lasts for more than 24 hours without melting. We got over a foot this last storm and it lasted for days. Once I got 170 pounds worth of sand in the trunk the car acted much more civilized.
I'd still get rid of it for another Speed 6 if I weren't so upside down on the loan.

FlyingPotato
Sep 9, 2003
Fwoomp!
In related news, I live in western Canada and haven't seen a flake since mid December. I finally gave up on winter and swapped the Blizzaks for summer tires last weekend.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I really wanted to try out my snow tires though...

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

CharlesM posted:

I really wanted to try out my snow tires though...

I keep telling people if it doesn't snow in December, it ain't gonna happen. I laughed at my son when he suggested we were getting an early spring, but I think he's dead on.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
Guess who picked a weird-rear end time to spend 600 bucks on loud parts!

I gots me a fly new downpipe to match the catback I put on last summer:

and Corksport's shmancy new catted mid-pipe, for to only break the law a little bit:

Thanks to the AP I don't even have to think before I drive it around, since I'll just reflash to a Stage 2 map.

I probably won't attempt to install anything until it warms up a lot, though. I guess I saw that I had a pile of cash not yet earmarked for anything else frivolous and decided I should just snag the pipes now before I forgot and bought 600 dollars of gummi bears or something.

Someday I'll get a proper tailored dyno tune with the taking videos of the stationary car making noise and posting graphs of things with little before and after arrows, but I don't know when.

Oh, and I also got the Sirius cube that plugs into the back of the head unit (somebody stop me, I'm out of control). I waffled for years about whether I wanted the iPod gizmo or the Sirius gizmo and finally decided. What would be really nice is a box that does sattelite radio, HD radio, and iPod, but I could never figure out if such a thing exists.

So, once the weather warms up enough for me to lie on concrete for an hour, I'll install the new steel bits and take crappy photos and video for the internets. Here's hoping it sounds as badass with the cat as with the CS resonated mid-pipe.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Frosty, I had the Corksport DP. As it got hot, it would hit the transmission tunnel and with every vibration would bump and it felt and sounded horrible. They supposedly had some sort of fix for it? Something to keep an eye out for.
The increase in power was incredible, though.

And unless you're way better than me and my mechanic friend, it will take considerably longer than an hour to install the DP. Putting it in isn't the problem, getting the stocker OUT is a loving bitch.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.

Frosty- posted:

Guess who picked a weird-rear end time to spend 600 bucks on loud parts!

I gots me a fly new downpipe to match the catback I put on last summer:

This is making me a little bit squirty.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Purdy.

I want to get the MS catback. It sounds so sweet.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kynetx posted:

Purdy.

I want to get the MS catback. It sounds so sweet.

Yeah, I really want this too.

Took the MS3 out to the lake area today. Lots of narrow roads with tons of hills and curves. Rolled down the windows to hear the CAI sucking and the BOV. Was lovely, not a soul on the road but me.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

Frosty, I had the Corksport DP. As it got hot, it would hit the transmission tunnel and with every vibration would bump and it felt and sounded horrible. They supposedly had some sort of fix for it? Something to keep an eye out for.
The increase in power was incredible, though.
I remember you mentioned that before. I know Corksport have had to have made revisions to their original design a couple times, so hopefully that was one of them. It's not a complaint that seems very common, though, so I have high hopes.

quote:

And unless you're way better than me and my mechanic friend, it will take considerably longer than an hour to install the DP. Putting it in isn't the problem, getting the stocker OUT is a loving bitch.
I am completely inept, but I walk with an optimistic swagger. It'll probably take all day but it's not like I've got anything better to do.

I've just remembered I'm going to need new tires after winter is done. The stock Bridgestones are toasted after ~20,000 miles and I'd rather not buy new ones. TireRack doesn't seem to have a lot in the stock size but 225s should fit, so I've been looking and I'm just kind of confused. I don't want to buy some kind of really aggressive tire that'll be shredded in 10k, and I don't want to pay 250 dollars apiece, but I don't know what's what. Any ideas?

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Frosty- posted:

I don't want to buy some kind of really aggressive tire that'll be shredded in 10k, and I don't want to pay 250 dollars apiece, but I don't know what's what. Any ideas?

I'm in the same situation - I've got just at 16k on my car and my tires are down to 4/32nds and I granny the car. Tirerack has Bridgestone RE760s that are $151 I believe each - they look fairly decent and have good reviews. Treadwear is a 340 (compared to stock 140.) I believe these are the ones I'll get, but given my financial situation (broke as poo poo) I may have to rid the stock tires till bald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I'm going to look at an 08.5 speed3 tomorrow. What are some things I should be looking at to make sure it's ok? It's got 52k miles on it and they are asking 17.5 which is way way to high, thinking about low balling them down to like 13.5/14.5. Any major things I should be on the lookout for when I test drive it?