Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Built my brother a desk for christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

JEEVES420 posted:

Very nice, is that top cut out of one sheet of 4x8 or do you have a seam somewhere?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The whole thing is out of two 4x8 sheets. Cost of supplies was right around $100 after tax.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Finished a chair I've been working on the last few days. Other than those two little boxes, this is the first thing I've made with oak. I've always just written it off as uninteresting. I have to say it's now one of my favorite woods. It did prove that I need to replace the lovely Skill roundover bits I've been putting off and getting away with on cedar, though. Man.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I wish I had better pictures, but I don't. My girlfriend's sister loves globes for some reason, and I love tacky things. She also likes to drink, so I really only had one option for what to give her for Christmas.

I bought an ugly globe from Marshalls for a few bucks and went to work with a Dremel, some foam, a velvet ribbon, and some crushed black velour.

I really, really wanted to keep it for myself when I was done. It was a huge hit.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah, I thought 1024x768 was ok now. Especially in places like this where we're trying to show off creative and interesting things we've made. Should we go back to 800x600? :smith:

Sorry, my bad. ive since discovered the [timg] tag and fixed the posts.
but yeah, sometimes i forget i have a 24" widescreen and others dont. one of the forums i frequented updated its Vbullitin and the front page looked like rear end. everyone complained and one of the admins said it was fine. we demanded screenshots and he was viewing it on an old 17" 1024x768 fishbowl. looked fine to him. what white space? what are you complaining about fixed width for?

Slung Blade posted:

Also, Kommando, nice table. How did you get the rounded corners? A guide? Tie a string to your router?

piece of string and a pencil. i marked the curve and cut it with a jigsaw. then routed the whole thing. then orbital sander.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 6, 2010

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

JEEVES420 posted:

do you have plans for that? i'd really like to make one.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Turned the first image into the second one. Basically I didn't take my time putting the wardrobe back together when I loved and so it's become extremely unstable. Basically when you opened the right-most door the vertical pieces of wood would rotate about 20 to 30 degrees from the vertical. I ended up using only the stuff that came with it plus some extra random screws to reinforce and my 10 dollar tool kit. I say for my first time salvaging something I did a pretty good job. I know that there's a wide open spot at the bottom, I basically ended up using the piece that was supposed to go there on the top since it fit perfectly with the screws that should have gone there to begin with.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

huhu fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 7, 2010

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm currently building one of these in brass:

This is how far I've gotten:

It's a London and South Western Railway class C14 built for switching the Southampton Docks. It was designed by Dugald Drummond as a 0-2-2T, then converted to a 0-4-0T with outside valve gear when that experiment failed. It comes as a sheet of flat etched brass and whitemetal castings, and I'm building it using soldering iron - quite the dark art with lots of alchemical sticks and wires and acid dilutions. Neat!

It's in ScaleSeven, which is 7mm to the foot exactly. Here's a turnout I laid myself using nickel silver rail, plastic sleepers and chairs:

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Jagtpanther posted:

I'm currently building one of these in brass:

This is how far I've gotten:

It's a London and South Western Railway class C14 built for switching the Southampton Docks. It was designed by Dugald Drummond as a 0-2-2T, then converted to a 0-4-0T with outside valve gear when that experiment failed. It comes as a sheet of flat etched brass and whitemetal castings, and I'm building it using soldering iron - quite the dark art with lots of alchemical sticks and wires and acid dilutions. Neat!

It's in ScaleSeven, which is 7mm to the foot exactly. Here's a turnout I laid myself using nickel silver rail, plastic sleepers and chairs:

Sweet! nice to see some model railroaders on here. When I grew up, my dad had both G-scale for outdoors and HO for indoors. My favorite toys as a kid (and still now) were Playmobil trains; they made high quality stuff that fit perfectly on G scale track. Once I get a house with a yard, an outdoor railway is certainly on my list of things to do.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yeah, I've gone through N to HO/OO and now to O/ScaleSeven - living in a apartment in central London is definately making it an exercise in compromise. For bigger stuff, here's a great website I found about a guy building a live-steam loco: http://www.saunalahti.fi/~animato/3003/index060.html

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Cedar Bench.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

ChaoticSeven posted:

Cedar Bench.

Holy poo poo, that's gorgeous...

Maybe a dumb question, but is that colour switching from light to dark a natural thing? It looks natural, but I've never seen anything like that before I don't think.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Holy poo poo, that's gorgeous...

Maybe a dumb question, but is that colour switching from light to dark a natural thing? It looks natural, but I've never seen anything like that before I don't think.

The white to reddish is natural. The hourglass looking dark sections look to be dovetails for a cracked piece. Correct?

Also, Chaotic the plans for that desk are on a laptop that does not boot up anymore. If I can find my 3.5 to ide/sata connector I will send you the plans.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

JEEVES420 posted:

The hourglass looking dark sections look to be dovetails for a cracked piece.

Yeah, those parts I realise are man-made. :)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

JEEVES420 posted:

The white to reddish is natural. The hourglass looking dark sections look to be dovetails for a cracked piece. Correct?

I showed this to my wife, she loves it & says the 'bowties' ( :3: ) give it character.

archaeopteryx
Oct 30, 2005

While this might not be as impressive as some of your work (and also a group effort instead of the work of one single person), I simply had to share this because seeing it complete for the first time today made me so loving proud. :3:

For the past few months, our university's theatre group has been working on the stage design for Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap, which will premiere next Tuesday.

We finished building the stage in a massive 12-hour shift today. It's the first time I've done this and it was tremendous fun. Sadly, I only had my crappy mobile with me. Anyway, take a look at this:

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

I built a few of the walls (they're wooden frames with canvas), spraypainted them with mice (they're supposed to look like a typical fleur-de-lys design at first glance*) and painted a large part of the backdrop. Apparently I did a good enough job at pretending to know what I was doing, so my boss kind of made me the person in charge of the whole backdrop.

*I forgot to take a close up of the design, so here's the flyer:

Click here for the full 488x691 image.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Built a shelf. Walnut and cherry. Can't get good light in here right now, but it only has a one coat of sanding sealer on it anyway. I'll get better photos later sometime.

Archives
Nov 23, 2008
I made a leather messenger bag, because I didn't to pay 350 bucks for one from here: http://www.saddlebackleather.com/categories/81-Messenger-Bags/products/1653-Leather-Messenger-Dark-Coffee-Brown

It's definitely not perfect, but It was a nice experience.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Archives posted:

I made a leather messenger bag, because I didn't to pay 350 bucks for one from here: http://www.saddlebackleather.com/categories/81-Messenger-Bags/products/1653-Leather-Messenger-Dark-Coffee-Brown

Oooh. If you wanted to go into more detail, I'd be fascinated. :allears:

butterthatbacon
Sep 1, 2006

mmmmm.

ChaoticSeven posted:

Built a shelf. Walnut and cherry. Can't get good light in here right now, but it only has a one coat of sanding sealer on it anyway. I'll get better photos later sometime.

Wow. Dovetails are gorgeous, naturally. Did you rout out a channel for the middle shelf? Is there any hardware in there at all?

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

butterthatbacon posted:

Wow. Dovetails are gorgeous, naturally. Did you rout out a channel for the middle shelf? Is there any hardware in there at all?

Thanks. Yes, I used a dado blade. No hardware, just wood and glue.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I just bought a house, and while setting up my stereo I realized that I needed some speaker stands for my back rear surround speakers, but I couldn't find anything in my price range that looked decent. I found these plans and got to work. I added a smaller PVC pipe inside to run wires through, and I think they turned out pretty well.

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.
Well howdy.

I just stumbled into this thread. Mind if I show off a lil something I have been soldering up?

These are russian INS-1 neon (nixie) lamps.

I am making an 80 segment display using them.

They light up at around 150 - 170 volts.

I am using a sort of array to multiplex them.

That's the first bank lit up, I have the second bank of 40 lamps installed now and I need to get my friend Jer to write some code so I can play pong on it, or display words. Or better yet a .gif decoder so I can animate something and have it display.

Thanks for having this thread.

Edit: Also, here is a desktop guitar amp I made out of some quilted maple and a harddrive case...

nonentity fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 28, 2010

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

nonentity posted:

Well howdy.

I just stumbled into this thread. Mind if I show off a lil something I have been soldering up?

That's the first bank lit up, I have the second bank of 40 lamps installed now and I need to get my friend Jer to write some code so I can play pong on it, or display words. Or better yet a .gif decoder so I can animate something and have it display.

Edit: Also, here is a desktop guitar amp I made out of some quilted maple and a harddrive case...

The LEDs are cool and all, but how much for the Nixie clocks? Christ.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I love the gently caress out of any project that involves nixies. Your old nixie clock project inspired me to get off my rear end and make one.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

nonentity posted:

Well howdy.

I was wondering when you'd find this subforum, and I'm glad you did. You're an artist and a craftsman :)

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

I love the gently caress out of any project that involves nixies. Your old nixie clock project inspired me to get off my rear end and make one.

Awesome, now I require photos of said clock. How'd it turn out?

Slung Blade posted:

I was wondering when you'd find this subforum, and I'm glad you did. You're an artist and a craftsman :)

Aw shucks, thanks... here's some more random stuff I have made...

nonentity fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 28, 2010

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Nixies rule, You rule!

Today I restored some drive-in speakers, just the innards, as I like to keep them in 'from the field' condition.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Archives posted:

I've been thinking about getting into leathercrafting for a while just to do something like this. I'd be thrilled to see a megathread on it, if there are other goons who do this stuff.

Archives
Nov 23, 2008

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

I've been thinking about getting into leathercrafting for a while just to do something like this. I'd be thrilled to see a megathread on it, if there are other goons who do this stuff.

Jordanis posted:

Oooh. If you wanted to go into more detail, I'd be fascinated. :allears:

Here you go:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3260854

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

This guitar amp I started back before we moved to Dallas to work at id. Pieces of it sat in storage for about a year and a half, and now that I found the aluminum bezel and it's warmed up a bit, it's time to start finishing it up.

I had some (evidently) stainless steel lamp shades from a thrown away lamp I got at Midway Studios.

I knew I'd use them for something one day! Turns out with a dremel I can cut them down, open and flatten them out and I get some really good perforated stainless mesh.

This is the aluminum bezel I made for the speaker opening a while back, finally found it while cleaning out the office. The stainless mesh will be fastened to the bottom of the bezel, I will have to make some custom short screws to do that. Probably will mount the speaker that way as well.

This is the wood for the amp. It's a purpleheart block that I cut and bookmatched, glued back together, and shaped and drilled out for the knobs, speaker hole, input jack, etc.

I set it under the router yesterday to open it up for the speaker bezel. It's just a hair too big, so I will run a brass plate in a circle around the gap. The LED bezel will match.

Test fit for looks, I think this will be nice.

I still have to drill the hole for the LED, hollow out the wood for the electronics, and build the amp circuit.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

nonentity posted:

I still have to drill the hole for the LED, hollow out the wood for the electronics, and build the amp circuit.

Very nice, it also look a lot like the controller for my Z-2300 speakers. :)

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

nonentity posted:

This guitar amp I started back before we moved to Dallas to work at id. Pieces of it sat in storage for about a year and a half, and now that I found the aluminum bezel and it's warmed up a bit, it's time to start finishing it up.

I had some (evidently) stainless steel lamp shades from a thrown away lamp I got at Midway Studios.

I knew I'd use them for something one day! Turns out with a dremel I can cut them down, open and flatten them out and I get some really good perforated stainless mesh.

This is the aluminum bezel I made for the speaker opening a while back, finally found it while cleaning out the office. The stainless mesh will be fastened to the bottom of the bezel, I will have to make some custom short screws to do that. Probably will mount the speaker that way as well.

This is the wood for the amp. It's a purpleheart block that I cut and bookmatched, glued back together, and shaped and drilled out for the knobs, speaker hole, input jack, etc.

I set it under the router yesterday to open it up for the speaker bezel. It's just a hair too big, so I will run a brass plate in a circle around the gap. The LED bezel will match.

If anyone knows wher to get a sheet of the metal mesh please speak up. I too have used it in many projects and have always had to cannibalize other things (mostly speakers) to get it.

no rain no gain
Nov 29, 2006

JEEVES420 posted:

If anyone knows wher to get a sheet of the metal mesh please speak up. I too have used it in many projects and have always had to cannibalize other things (mostly speakers) to get it.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#perforated-metal/=5q1x63

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer
Last weekend my wife and I decided to finish the utility room in the basement. Originally it was very low on my to-do list, but it got moved up because I was finally sick of my water heater backing up into the cold water inlet, causing the cold water in my kitchen sink to run hot for a minute when I turn on the cold faucet.

Most of the drywall up (the green board on the left was leftover from the bathroom, the rest is some new product called "basement board" by GP, supposedly it has the same mold/moisture resistant paper as the green board, but the core isn't treated, so it's cheaper)

Here's the water heater in question, with my temporary water filter install on the left. Note the :xbox: huge heater. We're on some sort of off-peak water program with the power company. More on that later.

The furnace, the only part of the room that wasn't removed for the finishing. Notice I only put the drywall up to the ductwork. I didn't want to try getting my drill in that tiny space between the duct and the wall. I did end the drywall on the center of a stud though, so if I ever do replace the furnace, I can install more drywall behind it.

With everything removed, it's time to finish hanging the sheetrock, and start mudding and taping the seams and screws. I used the quick-set 45 minute mud so I could get the entire job done in one day.

With the first coat of mud drying, I re-did the plumbing for the water heater. Note the instant concussion machine hanging from the 2x4, and the fancy new flex hoses for installing the water heater. I don't get why plumbers don't use those.

Once the mudding and plumbing were done, my wife wanted to do the flooring, so we could get the water heater back in place and take showers. We used 12"x12" peel and stick tiles, which went down very easily.

With the flooring installed, and the water heater re-installed, we got the room painted, and I installed foam baseboard, a melamine shelf on the energy wall, and we moved the washer and dryer back in so my wife could do laundry.

I still have to install the wire mesh shelving on the back wall, re-route the dryer vent out the side of the dryer so they can be pushed back closer to the wall, and put the sink back.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
Canoe! Wish I could say I built it but I have neither the tools nor expertise. However my dad does. He built this last summer and it's survived some pretty fun expeditions so far.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Wow, that's gorgeous.

Cedar strip construction?

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008

Slung Blade posted:

Wow, that's gorgeous.

Cedar strip construction?

Yea it is cedar, the rest is ash I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

JEEVES420 posted:

I've ordered small quantities from https://www.onlinemetals.com and was completely satisfied. You want stainless or aluminum "perforated sheet".