Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Both seem to be in good condition and both seem to be at least a little overpriced. I can bring cash in hand, so I can at least negotiate some. Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards the 98 if I can bring it down a little.

Get another SV650 :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Finally got my endorsement and and can begin looking for a bike for real! What should I expect to be able to find for near $2k or so?

What kind of riding do you want to do? How big are you?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Doctor Zero posted:

What kind of riding do you want to do? How big are you?

I'm about 6 foot and 210. Most of my riding will probably be 30-45 minute trips on highways (45-55) and the occasional short trip on an interstate.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

I'm about 6 foot and 210. Most of my riding will probably be 30-45 minute trips on highways (45-55) and the occasional short trip on an interstate.

My vote is for the GS500. Good, solid, reliable, air cooled, cheap, been around for decades, and a good all arounder. Ninja 500 has a bit more power, also been around forever, but can be more expensive and has fairings.

TiberiusM
Sep 10, 2006
Not my ad, but I haven't seen a CBX for sale in a while. No idea if its a reasonable price, don't intend to buy it. Just thought I'd share

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/1583726709.html

1979 Honda CBX for $6200 in Ohio

Everyone likes 6 cyclinders right?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
loving hell. My credit went to poo poo so I can't buy a bike/scoot at the dealership. I've got around $1500 to spend. I wanted to get a Yamaha Zuma but there's none used around the area. I'm in the LA area.

Any suggestions for other brands of scooters that look similar? Or a cycle that's good for beginners? I know everybody says a Ninja 250 but I'm not a gigantic fan of sport bikes.

Was checking this out: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/1582905695.html

Not sure if I'd be able to get the guy to drop down to $1500 though. Any idea if that'd be a good deal? I'd prefer a cafe rider or a lesser gay looking scooter like the zuma/ruckus.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
the ninja 250 doesn't have a sportbike positioning afaik if thats why you don't want it, it's got a fairly standard riding position. Probably better value than a scooter and more fun.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

ceebee posted:

loving hell. My credit went to poo poo so I can't buy a bike/scoot at the dealership. I've got around $1500 to spend. I wanted to get a Yamaha Zuma but there's none used around the area. I'm in the LA area.

Any suggestions for other brands of scooters that look similar? Or a cycle that's good for beginners? I know everybody says a Ninja 250 but I'm not a gigantic fan of sport bikes.

Was checking this out: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/1582905695.html

Not sure if I'd be able to get the guy to drop down to $1500 though. Any idea if that'd be a good deal? I'd prefer a cafe rider or a lesser gay looking scooter like the zuma/ruckus.

$1800 fine means the dude probably got popped for a DUI. You might have a shot at getting him to $1500. That's a very clean CB too.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

redscare posted:

$1800 fine means the dude probably got popped for a DUI. You might have a shot at getting him to $1500. That's a very clean CB too.

Awesome, thanks. I'm going to give him a call tomorrow to see if he's still got it.

infraboy posted:

the ninja 250 doesn't have a sportbike positioning afaik if thats why you don't want it, it's got a fairly standard riding position. Probably better value than a scooter and more fun.

Around the area people are selling Ninja 250s for $2000-$3000. A bit out of my budget, anyways.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 4, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

TiberiusM posted:

Not my ad, but I haven't seen a CBX for sale in a while. No idea if its a reasonable price, don't intend to buy it. Just thought I'd share

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/1583726709.html

1979 Honda CBX for $6200 in Ohio

Everyone likes 6 cyclinders right?

6 Cylinders are the only REAL bike choice. :smug:

I doubt I'd pay $6200 for an old bike like that though.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

ceebee posted:

Around the area people are selling Ninja 250s for $2000-$3000. A bit out of my budget, anyways.

Craiglist pricing is retarded, especially in LA. Keep that in mind.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

ceebee posted:

I'm sure people have said this a million times but make sure you budget in for gear, as a full setup will add 500-1000 to that tally.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I've got a few bikes to visit now! Could someone repost that super-comprehensive checklist of things to check on before a purchase? I'm looking at 2 GS500s a 2002 and a 2004 and a '95 Ninja 500.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

AR5
Mar 22, 2006
After looking for some SV's to serve as a first bike without to much luck, I stumbled across this which looks to be a winner. http://tinyurl.com/yf3tfqg Similar body style, really clean, and best of all in my price range. KBB says about $1350 though; is that overly optimistic or should I make an offer mirroring the KBB? Paying almost $500 over seems retarded... help me not get ripped off! :ohdear:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

AR5 posted:

After looking for some SV's to serve as a first bike without to much luck, I stumbled across this which looks to be a winner. http://tinyurl.com/yf3tfqg Similar body style, really clean, and best of all in my price range. KBB says about $1350 though; is that overly optimistic or should I make an offer mirroring the KBB? Paying almost $500 over seems retarded... help me not get ripped off! :ohdear:

I'd offer around 1300$, but honestly, the market for beginner bikes doesn't go down much below around 1500$ for a decent bike.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GS500s looked so much better before they added fairings.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
No desirable 650's in my vicinity of late, but what does CA think of this '89 KLR 250?

quote:

1989 Kawasaki KLR 250, 4760 miles, $800 obo,
The bike is in decent shape. Normal wear for a bike this age. Needs a few minor things replaced. The seat, plastics and tank are in great shape with no rips, cracks or dents. The bike runs but doesn't idle well so it will probably need the carb cleaned out because it's been sitting in the garage for a while. If you have any questions or would like to see the bike feel free to give me a call, Thanks.

Would probably keep me off the highways, but maybe that's not a bad thing. Downside is it's almost 2 hours away.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

No desirable 650's in my vicinity of late, but what does CA think of this '89 KLR 250?

Would probably keep me off the highways, but maybe that's not a bad thing. Downside is it's almost 2 hours away.

Count on having to do the tires, chain, oil change, oil filter and possibly fork seals. Obviously, ask about the doohickey. Could still be a good deal, but you're probably gonna have to go through and do all of that stuff.

I'd try and talk him down a few hundred more, especially considering travel time/gas.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Z3n posted:

Count on having to do the tires, chain, oil change, oil filter and possibly fork seals. Obviously, ask about the doohickey. Could still be a good deal, but you're probably gonna have to go through and do all of that stuff.

I'd try and talk him down a few hundred more, especially considering travel time/gas.

drat, even the 250's have the doohickey issue... wtf, Kawasaki? I'll shoot the guy an e-mail and see what's up with the bike.

I also came across a Honda NX 650 (thanks, tag spam) a couple hours away if anyone's interested. Seems like a nice bike but I'd feel bad buying something that uncommon, in that good of shape, with the intention of beating on it offroad.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
gently caress that buy the NX650. Skulls aside, Old Hondas are hot.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

blugu64 posted:

gently caress that buy the NX650. Skulls aside, Old Hondas are hot.

How bad would finding parts be? And are those skulls stock? I thought they were a little too :krad: for my taste.

gently caress it, I'll send that guy an e-mail before the KLR250 guy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

drat, even the 250's have the doohickey issue... wtf, Kawasaki? I'll shoot the guy an e-mail and see what's up with the bike.

I also came across a Honda NX 650 (thanks, tag spam) a couple hours away if anyone's interested. Seems like a nice bike but I'd feel bad buying something that uncommon, in that good of shape, with the intention of beating on it offroad.

My bad, I somehow completely missed that it was a 250. Shouldn't have any problems, but would be a lot of fun at lower speeds.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

How bad would finding parts be? And are those skulls stock? I thought they were a little too :krad: for my taste.

gently caress it, I'll send that guy an e-mail before the KLR250 guy.

I'd put cash money on them not being stock. As for parts, bikebandit should have some parts, some will probably be out of stock (all that pretty plastic, and other random poo poo), but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Push comes to shove, you can probably get parts on a slow boat from europe/australia/wherever.

edit: Besides, it was made to be ridden, etc.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

blugu64 posted:

I'd put cash money on them not being stock. As for parts, bikebandit should have some parts, some will probably be out of stock (all that pretty plastic, and other random poo poo), but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Push comes to shove, you can probably get parts on a slow boat from europe/australia/wherever.

edit: Besides, it was made to be ridden, etc.

Would kind of suck having to wait 8-10 weeks if something broke though :-\ OTOH discounthondaparts.com looks to have a decent selection of spares, and eBay isn't completely dry either. I found a thread on ADVRider that mentions some of the parts are interchangeable with the XR600, which would be handy. Supposed to be a more street-friendly version of those bikes, kind of a late eighties Honda KLR 650 :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I saw this bike for $800 OBO, dude said bring cash and see what happens. i'm getting my tax return soon and was toying with the idea of offering 500 bucks cash and see what they say. I had a bunch of my rider buddies say this would be a decent learner, but then I went and looked up the specs for the V4 and it seems like it might be a little too powerful? What's the consensus? i thought it looked pretty nice for less than a grand.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'd say the older 4 cylinder bikes are fine for first bikes powerwise, not sure what that intercepter would need maintenance wise, probably the usual fluid changes, i'd look over it real good, but 500$ for any running bike is a pretty good deal, i'd bring 600 if he doesn't take the 500$ offer.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Psylocibe posted:

I saw this bike for $800 OBO, dude said bring cash and see what happens. i'm getting my tax return soon and was toying with the idea of offering 500 bucks cash and see what they say. I had a bunch of my rider buddies say this would be a decent learner, but then I went and looked up the specs for the V4 and it seems like it might be a little too powerful? What's the consensus? i thought it looked pretty nice for less than a grand.

Looks like it definitely needs new tires, so add that to your budget. Looks like the clutch lever is broken, as well?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Psylocibe posted:

Is that the 500 or the 750? Also, those bikes had some cam issues. However, if you're just going to use it as a learner, you can't really go wrong for 500$ as long as it starts and runs.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

Is that the 500 or the 750? Also, those bikes had some cam issues. However, if you're just going to use it as a learner, you can't really go wrong for 500$ as long as it starts and runs.

It's not a first generation VFR so it should be OK, cam wise. Buyer beware for the other usual items, tires, chain, general condition, etc. There should be some kind of chin fairing on that bike, the lack thereof tells us that there has been gravity attacks in the past.

Edit-took as close a look at the picture as I could. Gear driven cams places this bike into the 90's IIRC, 3rd generation VFR? Some folks like them the best. The engine has a nice mechanical prescence with the gear driven cams. Definitely missing the lowers.

Gnomad fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 11, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnomad posted:

It's not a first generation VFR so it should be OK, cam wise. Buyer beware for the other usual items, tires, chain, general condition, etc. There should be some kind of chin fairing on that bike, the lack thereof tells us that there has been gravity attacks in the past.

Edit-took as close a look at the picture as I could. Gear driven cams places this bike into the 90's IIRC, 3rd generation VFR? Some folks like them the best. The engine has a nice mechanical prescence with the gear driven cams. Definitely missing the lowers.

drat, I guess I cannot tell those early VFRs apart to save my life.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

drat, I guess I cannot tell those early VFRs apart to save my life.

The easy way to tell is VF vs VFR. Anything VFR is second generation or later, and should be OK cam wise.

I do love the first generation VF though. Goofy cams, 16" front wheel and all.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
NX 650: Daily driver, tires like new, has title. Someone talk me out of this.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Don't do it until the rest of us have had a chance to buy it out from under you.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Pros: You'll never see another one like yours on the road.
Cons: Nobody will ever know what a NX650 is.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the encouraging replies, I think I'll seriously look into it.

Was just talking to my mom in the kitchen, bout chores and poo poo and I happened to slip in a so I was thinking about buying a motorcycle and she just kind of went "eh, long as you can afford it". Score!

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Psylocibe posted:

Thanks for the encouraging replies, I think I'll seriously look into it.

Was just talking to my mom in the kitchen, bout chores and poo poo and I happened to slip in a so I was thinking about buying a motorcycle and she just kind of went "eh, long as you can afford it". Score!

Now you just have to go through the phase where everyone in your family and all your friends will tell you you're going to die as soon as you sit on a motorcycle.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kylej posted:

Now you just have to go through the phase where everyone in your family and all your friends will tell you you're going to die as soon as you sit on a motorcycle.
In my experience, this never ends. (Or it lasts over a year, at any rate.)

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Endless Mike posted:

In my experience, this never ends. (Or it lasts over a year, at any rate.)

Nobody has said this or anything like this to me yet. Closest I've gotten is "2 tires is less than 4 you know."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
:hb: :hb: :hb: MURDERCYCLES!!! :hb: :hb: :hb: