Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I like how the last lines make it sound like the real fight is just getting started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Sindai posted:

I like how the last lines make it sound like the real fight is just getting started.

:unsmith: I remember when I thought like you did. It's so nostalgic and heart-warming, yet depressing all the while.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I was being sarcastic.

Maybe next round Ippo will lightly tap him twice.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
"It was dramatic when the hero was on the ropes and trying to figure out how to win, so it'll be even more dramatic if's he on the ropes far longer!" -Every Terrible Shounen Author

Lil Jon Galt
May 22, 2002

IS A MAN NOT ENTITLED TO THE SWEAT DROP DOWN MY BALLS?

NovaPolice posted:

"It was dramatic when the hero was on the ropes and trying to figure out how to win, so it'll be even more dramatic if's he on the ropes far longer!" -Every Terrible Shounen Author

"now let's put the antagonist against the ropes. yes, have him literally bounce off the ropes...excellent, excellent"

BOrangeFury
Feb 18, 2005

by T. Fine

Cap N' Crunch posted:

"now let's put the antagonist against the ropes. yes, have him literally bounce off the ropes...excellent, excellent"

Now we will have four former rivals cheering him on from the sidelines! And his girlfriend faints, because gently caress women. haha, it's funny because Ippo will never get any pussy.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Y'know, when's the last time it made a point to show Kumi at one of his matches? :confused:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kumi is just Ippo's beard. She has barely been relevant to the story since she was first introduced, aside from that one time Mashiba went apeshit but still lost against on her behalf.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

883 Raw is up.

What happens? Well, let's see...:

- Lots of talking.
- More talking.
- Some more talking.
- Ippo charges Woli at the start of the round, but he vanishes using ninja-monkey powers.
- Turns out Woli can wall-cling like Spiderman. The loving hell.
- WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMP.

I hope he gets the gently caress shoryuken'd out of his face in the next chapter. This is god drat ridiculous. gently caress you and your horrible pacing, Mori.

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
Ippo's seriously braindamaged now. He's just purely imagining poo poo. There's no way this bullshit is happening.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Wow, Woli is a genius. Ya, just chilling here, ignoring gravity. Been taking some ninja temp classes, you know.

Gravity? That image perfectly encapsulates this fight I think.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 9, 2010

An Outland Dish
Jul 26, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
Anyone else have this feeling that we could replace every utterance of the word "Woli" with "Sasuke" and it wouldn't change anything at all?

7thLevelOfYar
Sep 30, 2003
You will be judged harshly.
Woli doesn't hate.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Woli is riding an invisible flying motorcycle

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ahahahahahahha! Takamura in one of his super-insight moments says something like "he became a monkey" all serious-like.

Yeah, Woli is officially in monkey-mode right now. gently caress this manga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The manga might be terrible now, but this thread is great. Threads born of hatred are the best kind.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

The manga might be terrible now, but this thread is great. Threads born of hatred are the best kind.
:( I just want it to be interesting again. Is that so much to ask?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Geop posted:

:( I just want it to be interesting again. Is that so much to ask?

Woli says: Yes, yes it is. Excuse me while I go levitate using monkey magic.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm going to laugh if Ippo shocks all of us by catching Woli in his monkey jump.

"YEAH YOU'RE PRETTY MUCH BETTER THAN ME IN EVERYTHING BOXING RELATED. BUT YOU'LL NEVER TAKE MY TITLE OF VIOLENT MEAT HEADED ANIMAL!!!"

Dempsey Roll to Monkey Leap, Woli dies instantly. Manga ends.

musouka
Apr 24, 2009

Geop posted:

883 Raw is up.

Jesus loving Christ. Why the hell did I even bother to get caught up with this series if this is the bullshit the author is going to pull out of his rear end?

"IS THERE NOTHING ELSE I CAN LEARN FROM MAKUNOUCHI BESIDES HOW TO BE A BRAINDEAD MEAT SHIELD? REALLY AND TRULY? THERE IS NOTHING ELSE FOR ME TO LEARN HERE? AM I SURE? PERHAPS I BETTER REPEAT THIS TEN TIMES A PAGE!"

"HURRR I WILL NOT LOSE TO YOUR LOVE OF BOXING FOR TRULY I FEEL THE SAME WAY WOLI!"

BULLSHIT POWER OF HEART ENDING TO THIS FIGHT IMMINENT!

gently caress this series. The only good thing about catching up was that it inspired me to reread Tarou.

musouka fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 10, 2010

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

:ughh: I don't even know where to begin with this.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

That is wonderful.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I love the gonk-face Ippo's corner is rocking :dance:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Wow, Woli is a genius. Ya, just chilling here, ignoring gravity. Been taking some ninja temp classes, you know.

Oh lord, everyone in the audience just looks so disgusted.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Show us the super-special Monkey Punch Woli-sama!!! Obviously you cannot learn any boxing out of that punching bag. Japanese Spirit can only be harnessed by Japanese guys, you know.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Oh, I get it. It's a Groundhog's Day joke guys.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007
It's going to end ridiculously. Woli will lose because the monkeys (not being predators) didn't teach him killer instinct and will never fight again because of this fatal flaw.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

furiouskoala posted:

It's going to end ridiculously. Woli will lose because the monkeys (not being predators) didn't teach him killer instinct and will never fight again because of this fatal flaw.

That assumes it will end, which at this point I'm suspicious of being that optimistic :smith:

Sojourn
Mar 28, 2005
Wasn't the author propping this fight up as kind of a throw back to the good old days before it started?

Cross012
Jun 10, 2009

by mons all madden

Sojourn posted:

Wasn't the author propping this fight up as kind of a throw back to the good old days before it started?

Its been so long, the author forgot what the good old days where all about.

Lil Jon Galt
May 22, 2002

IS A MAN NOT ENTITLED TO THE SWEAT DROP DOWN MY BALLS?

this fiiiight

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I am pretending that this is a new manga and Woli is the main character.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 10, 2010

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sojourn posted:

I suppose it's true, in the sense it's the same old bullshit we've been complaining about since forever, and he was helpful enough to amplify it by A BILLION.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Cool I'd been thinking punches breaking the sound barrier and loose gloves working as extending fists weren't nearly absurd and impossible enough to keep me captivated. Another wonderful step further away from the laws of physics for Morikawa, excellent.

There's a guy on the right of that pic that looks very distraught with "BOXING" on his shirt. He represents the sport as a whole and its opinion of this moment.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I think i'll start rereading this and hoping the last few fights never happen.

This poo poo is starting to get worse than Baki (Which, based on a few chapters seems to consist of revealing ULTIMATE MOVES to each other, homoerotic posing and looking like :smug:)

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

He has spikes on the bottom of his shoes. This is cheating, so Woli will be disqualified and Ippo wins by default. You heard it here first folks!!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm guessing Ippo will stay standing through the entire fight, and then the judges will give him the win on points because he is a japanese champ in Japan fighting a foreigner.

Sojourn
Mar 28, 2005
So, is there a decent alternative to this manga out there? I need something with the same general premise (doesn't have to be boxing) to fill the void now that I'm no longer reading it.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Maybe Berserk if you wanna see brutal medieval killing :black101: But that's about as far from Ippo as you're gonna get.

What do you mean the same general premise? Guy starts from square one and improves visibly (lawl. In theory, IPPO :() throughout the manga?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
There's pretty much a poo poo ton of shounen manga where some high-school dude goes from a nobody to a martial arts badass, all of varying realism.

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi is pretty good, though much less realistic than Ippo is (or was until this fight).